Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought the LTS for TSW and will buy GW2 because....

MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Both companies deserve support... The MMO industry is getting worse by the year and I believe it to be important to support original ideas and big vision. Without support from me and individuals like me, TERA's , SWTOR's, Aions, ST:O, CoH's will continue to be released, and it simply isn't tolerable for me... Am I hyping up GW2? no.. do I think its the best thing ever? no.. what I do believe is that it executes a vision by its devs very well, much like TSW.... After further thought, I found myself to be foolishly supporting one game over the other as if they were enemies... in all honesty, these games are brothers, both with their strengths and weaknesses.. but with over-riding vision and love for the genre. You can tell both developers want MMO's to get better, not worse.

Comments

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I did the same, for the same reasons, plus my own selfish ones.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

After seeing the unnecessary hate for eachother and being a part of one of the sides, I asked "why"? you know why? cause we are all competitive, and we want to see our team win.... TBH if both FC and ANet succeed, we ALL win... because it will set a new standard.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I couldn't support Funcom because there was nothing I enjoyed about TSW, but I do see myself supporting Anet and GW2 for some time to come.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

same because i like both games and i have money D; and they are fun !

I think support should come from FC being different and really releasing a great game... it may not be your style, but it is one HELL of a game. GW2 is a great game too... if you dont want to support TSW with your wallet, thats fine, especially if you cannot afford it... but supporting both of these titles will ensure a higher mark of quality which I believe we ALL want for future releases... let future MMO's build off these two shining examples.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Maitrader

Both companies deserve support... The MMO industry is getting worse by the year and I believe it to be important to support original ideas and big vision. Without support from me and individuals like me, TERA's , SWTOR's, Aions, ST:O, CoH's will continue to be released, and it simply isn't tolerable for me... Am I hyping up GW2? no.. do I think its the best thing ever? no.. what I do believe is that it executes a vision by its devs very well, much like TSW.... After further thought, I found myself to be foolishly supporting one game over the other as if they were enemies... in all honesty, these games are brothers, both with their strengths and weaknesses.. but with over-riding vision and love for the genre. You can tell both developers want MMO's to get better, not worse.

I feel the same way.  I own multiple game consoles for the same reason.  I love games!  Why limit yourself, especially in the face of products that are clearly inspired, and not just coats of paint over a pre-existing model?

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Member Posts: 91

+1....finally someone who gets it. TSW and GW2 are both trying to stir the genre, but the fanbois are too rabid to stop hating.

While I will not be playing TSW because it is not my type of game (sick of horror/vampires/zombies, etc.) I want both to succeed.

Originally posted by BartDaCat

I feel the same way.  I own multiple game consoles for the same reason.  I love games!  Why limit yourself, especially in the face of products that are clearly inspired, and not just coats of paint over a pre-existing model?

exactly.... this isn't a Los Angeles Lakers .vs. Boston Celtics game 7 NBA Finals match... We are all on the SAME TEAM.... Team MMO. lets support our players (companies) who strive day in day out to bring us a new and exciting experience.

exactly.... this isn't a Los Angeles Lakers .vs. Boston Celtics game 7 NBA Finals match... We are all on the SAME TEAM.... Team MMO. lets support our players (companies) who strive day in day out to bring us a new and exciting experience.

Supporting them is fine but I would never buy a game I don't like and would never play just to support an idea or a movement away from what mmos are now.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Thanks OP and as a TSW player I sign this. Won't buy GW2 yet because I think I'm tired of fantasy but somehow I'm sure I will at one point. Hope both and many more MMOs will succeed.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Big +1. I have always played both sides of the fence with these kind of one or the other debates. I have a mac next to my pc, Used to have a xbox, ps2, and game cube, and have always been like that. These two games focus on different areas. To me gw2 is like a fun pop song and tsw is like a deep song that makes you think. I will be playing both....

Originally posted by Cromica

Supporting them is fine but I would never buy a game I don't like and would never play just to support an idea or a movement away from what mmos are now.

I think support should come from FC being different and really releasing a great game... it may not be your style, but it is one HELL of a game. GW2 is a great game too... if you dont want to support TSW with your wallet, thats fine, especially if you cannot afford it... but supporting both of these titles will ensure a higher mark of quality which I believe we ALL want for future releases... let future MMO's build off these two shining examples.

I guess if you personally think that TSW is a complete step backwards, your entitled to your opinion.. No one says you have to play either... but I dont think anyone can say this is a step backwards... this truly is a step forward for both games and ideas.. bashing either game is pointless. Supporting both in some for or another, even if that means refraining from bashing one another is good enough. Theres alot of things TSW does right, as GW2 does as well. There is so much that TERA and SWTOR does wrong.. I do not wish for any more of these terrible titles for the future, upward and oneward !

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

You got strong followers on both these titles, I did the same (for selfish reasons as well, maybe LOL).

But the truth is I got TSW LTS since I know it's a great deal for as much gaming I do in some certain titles and got the CE to GW2 since I collect figurines of all sorts (Comic book junkie here since I was a kid).

I haven't been disappointed with Funcom like most experienced and ArenaNet hasn't let me down yet.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

On the one hand I want to support Funcom because we need to show the rest of the industry that we want different. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with supporting a developer that launches a clearly unfinished game with a cash shop and a subscription. Especially after they went back on their promise to only include cosmetic items in their cash shop.

I have pre-ordered the game and I have until July 3rd to cancel it. I'll check it out over the weekend and figure out what I'm going to do from there.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by heartless

On the one hand I want to support Funcom because we need to show the rest of the industry that we want different. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with supporting a developer that launches a clearly unfinished game with a cash shop and a subscription. Especially after they went back on their promise to only include cosmetic items in their cash shop.

I have pre-ordered the game and I have until July 3rd to cancel it. I'll check it out over the weekend and figure out what I'm going to do from there.

So point me out where the game is unfinished?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I myself am not a huge esporter and was not thrilled with GW1 myself... however what Anet has done for GW2 is what FC has done from AoC to TSW.. its astonishing what experience and dedication can do. FC does have a history of having rough launches, but their track record for fixing these issues (minus Gautes direection which I believe is why it was so terrible at launch) quickly. As is, TSW is EXTREMELY polished for launch and has room for expansion. GW2 will have a great launch and look forward to supporting BOTH through expansions... I myself am not one to buy crap from cash shops... I can live without cosmetics, but both have promised the games will not be B2W.

MR. GORBACHEV..... TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!!! lol

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I really only have time for one so I tried both in beta. They are very very close just as far as polish, fun, graphics, ect. They where so close that at the end of the day I decided using a factor I never use cost with GW2 being free after you buy it thats the one I am going to buy. Honestly I am kinda looking more foward to Neverwinter which is totaly free to  download and play. Once EQ2 went ftp while I was already playing it that kinda sold me that some ftp can really compete with the big boys because eq2 is still the best mmo on the market since swg shut down.

Originally posted by Cromica

I guess if you personally think that TSW is a complete step backwards, your entitled to your opinion.. No one says you have to play either... but I dont think anyone can say this is a step backwards... this truly is a step forward for both games and ideas.. bashing either game is pointless. Supporting both in some for or another, even if that means refraining from bashing one another is good enough. Theres alot of things TSW does right, as GW2 does as well. There is so much that TERA and SWTOR does wrong.. I do not wish for any more of these terrible titles for the future, upward and oneward !

I never said anything about it being a step backwards. I am glad they are trying to change it up a little with TSW but I don't believe (IMO)  that what they have done is worth putting money on.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

I like your point of view and support it wholehartedly! Good initiative!

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Not sure why you would buy an LTS to any game, especially a Funcom game. I hope you won't rage when it goes free to play before the end of this year.

I might pick up TSW eventually, but it just doesn't do it for me right now. I also think subscription games are on the way out, these new FTP AAA titles are on the way in.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by MattVid

Not sure why you would buy an LTS to any game, especially a Funcom game. I hope you won't rage when it goes free to play before the end of this year.

I might pick up TSW eventually, but it just doesn't do it for me right now. I also think subscription games are on the way out, these new FTP AAA titles are on the way in.

Well, people are definitely entitled to their opinions, but why would I rage?  I spend more than the cost of the lifetime sub on romantic dinners with my partner.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by heartless

Yeah i would also like to know how TSW is unfinished.

Heartless  from very beginning has passive aggressive attitude towards TSW. I wonder why he doesn't just cancel his pre order and move on. Because it is getting tiring to read mis information over and over again.

And OP i agree with you, this is exactly why i bought both games. We need to support new ideas so that MMOS go forward.

Well, people are definitely entitled to their opinions, but why would I rage?  I spend more than the cost of the lifetime sub on romantic dinners with my partner.

My wife and I love nothing more than a romatic dinner of mac and cheese in front of the fireplace :)

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Great post :) I've also gotten a LTS with my partner and we're super excited about TSW, but we'll probably end up getting GW2 also when it comes out since it doesn't have a sub and we can play with some of our other friends who will be playing that.

They are both very different games so I don't see how they can be competitors and people can definitely like both.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Maybe you have the decency not to. I have just seem so many games offer LTS, only to completely go under, or go Free 2 Play very quickly. Personally, this is why I simply won't do it.

1) Pay 200 bucks and only play the game for a couple months because there isn't enough to do. I haven't played a game for over a year in a long time. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

2) If the game doesn't succeed like they want it to and it goes under, or goes free to play, you just wasted a romantic dinners worth of money.

Do what you want, I just wouldn't do it personally :)