Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWG Players, Where are they now?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

When I'm not searching for a game that can come close to SWG as far as options and content (nothing out now can touch it) I've been game jumping trying to get "the feeling" again.

I tried to go back to WOW again only to find that it's no longer an MMORPG, it's a dungeon crawler with 0 immersion and meaning.

Skyrim held my interest for a spell but eventually my Sith Lord summoner (the first Sith lord in history btw) lost his connection to the force and I lost my connection to Skyrim.

I tried to go back to Vanguard but felt alone and abandoned.

I tried to play D3 just to get a gaming fix but after 2 play throughs my Monk (named Teraskasi) is no TKM at all so I said goodbye to him.

FInally I ended up in EVE. It has the potential, and if WIS ever gets finished (and if it resembles the SWG cantina experience) I see it as the place most of the SWG players would end up.

Through my game roaming I learned a few things. I learned that no matter what the game I play I tend to pretend it's Star Wars related and make the characters that I had in SWG.

I learned that after 10 years a MMO where you can sit is almost non existent which is both sad and pathetic. De-evolution is the only word that can describe this lost genre. When something strays to far from it's soul it becomes lost. MMOs went from worlds to live in to dungeon crawlers to gear in then move on. Devs claim the consumers have no loyalty, give us a reason to get emotionally invested in your game and you will retain us.

It's beyond frustrating that a 9 year old game had more depth, content, and variety than anything in the last 9 years. In the end I'm still floating out in space waiting for "the one" to get emotionally invested in an MMO again.

So SWG vets, where are you now?

Comments

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common

MMO Limbo

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ZigZagsZigZags Modesto, CAPosts: 328Member

MMO Purgatory like most of us. Check my Sig.....I dont even play MMOs at all at the moment. 

Now: Skyrim
    Later: ?
    Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
    BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,156Member

Never played SWG, but they're probably waiting for The Repopulation. Some already call SWG 2.0, but i don't know. Also, i too am keeping my yes on it.

• ZekiahZekiah Aurora, COPosts: 2,499Member

Game-hopping as usual, playing some Diablo 2 and Titan Quest currently while patiently (or not) waiting for pre-cu to be reborn.

Long live the King!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    MMO Limbo

I think as punishment for playing a superior game that none of them can live up to the MMO devgods have put all of us into MMORPG purgatory.

I almost forgot to mention, I also spend time in the "other" SWG game. I can't wait until they finish it. At the moment it's just nice to walk into the cantina, hear the music, and engage in some chat.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

The Repopulation.

That one looks Repromising. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member

I looked for years, and found a couple games that held my interest. They were small independents and didn't last though. Now I am playing Arma 2 DayZ and "life" mods. I haven't had the urge to play any of the dumbed down crap MMO's or continue my search for the grail. I am a FPSRPG Gamer now.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• ZigZagsZigZags Modesto, CAPosts: 328Member
    Originally posted by theJexster

MMO Limbo

I think as punishment for playing a superior game that none of them can live up to the MMO devgods have put all of us into MMORPG purgatory.

[mod edit]

That "other" game is not even close to SWG and should never be referenced in the same post.......Can you still not even sit down in the Cantina?

Now: Skyrim
    Later: ?
    Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
    BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    Originally posted by theJexster

MMO Limbo

[mod edit]

That "other" game is not even close to SWG and should never be referenced in the same post.......Can you still not even sit down in the Cantina?

Last I was there, you dont really sit "in" the chair so much as in front of it, but you have to be standing on top of it to target. LOL

[mod edit]

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• sindraodsindraod Avon Lake, OHPosts: 28Member

MMO Limbo

+1

• shinkanshinkan BestinPosts: 229Member

tried many different ones since SWG, but EVE is the only one that keeps some interest over time for me.

always hopeing for something new and promising to come along, but doubt the promised land will come.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Kenilworth, NJPosts: 339Member Uncommon

Played LOTRO for a long time, but actually enjoying Rift for now.  Keeping an eye on the Repopulation.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,156Member
    Originally posted by Zekiah

The Repopulation.

Indeed, but it's still in pre-alpha so my personall hype is at 0. Many things can go wrong, like with Archeage, so i'm holding back, secretly praying image

• AtheenahAtheenah UddevallaPosts: 58Member

As OP so correctly states, no MMO even come close to SWG´s content, diversity and comunity.

The Repopulation is probably our only hope,[mod edit]

• ZorlofeZorlofe Whitehouse, TXPosts: 187Member

Currently playing Tera and waiting for EQ Next hoping it will be EQ1 with better graphics. Yes, I know I'll be waiting for awhile...

• AbrexusAbrexus Harrisburg, PAPosts: 39Member Uncommon

The Repopulation.

Indeed, but it's still in pre-alpha so my personall hype is at 0. Many things can go wrong, like with Archeage, so i'm holding back, secretly praying image

Same here FSZ.  It does appear to incorporate many of the elements I miss dearly from SWG, but there appears to be a strong PvP focus on the game (not that it's a bad thing, just a bad thing for me).

If they move away from the direction where you can't gather higher level mats without being forced to enter a PvP zone, then it will increase it's appeal to me.  (yes, I am a carebear crafter at heart)

• Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
    • Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
    • Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
    • Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.
  • klinnearklinnear Fergus, ONPosts: 6Member
    [mod edit]
  • NildenNilden null, NBPosts: 1,284Member Uncommon

SWG got shut down for SWTOR...

I mean you go from the baby SOE kept dropping on it's head to the fourth pillar of story your reading to the little guy on it's 3rd personality revamp as a bedtime story. How can any ex-SWG player be happy with the poor designs, no idea fixes...

It sucks being someone into Star Wars at all. Maybe I'll go play some Jedi Academy or X-wing vs Tie Fighter.

How to post links.

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance ParisPosts: 1,223Member
    Originally posted by Abrexus

Same here FSZ.  It does appear to incorporate many of the elements I miss dearly from SWG, but there appears to be a strong PvP focus on the game (not that it's a bad thing, just a bad thing for me).

If they move away from the direction where you can't gather higher level mats without being forced to enter a PvP zone, then it will increase it's appeal to me.  (yes, I am a carebear crafter at heart)

Heck, I don't mind the PvP as long as I could find a community in which I could find players who would watch my back while I go out and harvest. That is what I loved about UO and some of the Fellucan UO mods out, and EVE.

I love the combination of danger and crafting/harvesting and it makes crafters just that more appealing, whether it is PvP danger or PvE danger (like in SWG). Unfortunately, those elements have seemingly gone by the wayside as an element of development in today's MMOs...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Edmonton, ABPosts: 793Member

Playing single player games. Currently Crusader Kings 2.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Portland, ORPosts: 1,277Member

Did some Fallen Earth, Rift, and SWTOR. Getting ready for TSW. Waiting for The Repop.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• nyxiumnyxium ManchesterPosts: 1,220Member Uncommon

I am in WoW, my only currently subbed game. I have blacklisted sci fi MMO's after the SWG /. TOR drama. 

If you can't beat them I'm not going to and instead am resigned to WoW addiciton but riding the wave. For the foreseaable future. Give in. Join us.

• AmanaAmana New York, NYPosts: 2,530Moderator Uncommon

Referencing an "other" or trying to use code to discuss topics you can't discuss here is cute, but it doesn't work. Keep discussion to official means. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com

The Repopulation.

Agreed, although the communication between the devs and the players is excellent. I really like what I see so far.

But yes, as always, caution is needed. No need to hype anything.

• wrekognizewrekognize salt lake city, UTPosts: 384Member

Darkfall-

Player city battles for control. player housing (much harder to obtain). Open world. PVM is great. PVP is great. Crafting is great. Perfect replacement.