Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerned About Performance

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by donjn

I am telling you guys right now. Mark my words. It aint getting much better than this. Performance might improve slightly, but not by much. I have seen betas like this many, many times.

There is no magic wand that they are going to wave on the evening of August 27th, the night before launch to improve performance.  The engine is what it is...It is the Guild Wars 1 engine that struggles to handle the updated graphics of GW2.

Another point, they made it sound so easy to flip a "switch" and make the game not CPU bound. Well, then do it. Right now. Why not?

.... but my performance is spectacular. D:

So...

*stares blankly*

I mean, I really like those 60+ fps.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

"We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance. Due to this, you can expect much lower frame rates that you would normally achieve with even higher end hardware. This isn’t an issue with your system but an intended design for optimization of the game engine. As we near retail launch, these GPU optimizations will be enabled and your performance should increase."

The paragraph above is the same, canned copy and paste response seen in the GW2 forums dating back a while now. Nothing new.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I am telling you guys right now. Mark my words. It aint getting much better than this. Performance might improve slightly, but not by much. I have seen betas like this many, many times.

There is no magic wand that they are going to wave on the evening of August 27th, the night before launch to improve performance.  The engine is what it is...It is the Guild Wars 1 engine that struggles to handle the updated graphics of GW2.

Another point, they made it sound so easy to flip a "switch" and make the game not CPU bound. Well, then do it. Right now. Why not?

.... but my performance is spectacular. D:

So...

*stares blankly*

I mean, I really like those 60+ fps.

So in the starting area, with people all around, in the burning town, with graphics maxed, you get 60 fps?

I call BS..

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So in the starting area, with people all around, in the burning town, with graphics maxed, you get 60 fps?

I call BS..

Nah, probably more like 50

... and what reason would I have to lie to you, random internet dude?  Plenty of other people got great numbers too.

The only time I dipped below 30 for more than a few seconds was in WvW and the beta closing events fighting the bunny. D:

I'll have to admit, I actually can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, or maybe even 20 fps, so I was wondering if maybe I just couldn't SEE the bad performance.

So I downloaded FRAPS so I could have that number in the corner.

I was shocked to see that even playing another game simultaneously, I was usually getting around 50 fps even in places like Divinity's Reach.

*shrug*

Performance was all over the place for various sorts of computers.  My computer isn't even that much better than yours (And a worse graphics card).

Most of the people having the worst problems seemed to have either significantly worse systems, or were overclocking, or were using Athlon (Or all three)

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Laptop MSI GX740 (i5, ATI 5870m, 8GB RAM) - at 1680*1050 hovering around 20FPS, no matter the position of graphics slider.

Core2Duo 5200, ATI 4850, 4GB RAM - same FPS as MSI laptop. Opposite positions of graphics slider equal 10 FPS difference.

Not a happy camper. If I can run SWTOR at 50-ish FPS, then I would expect the same from GW2.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I call BS..

Nah, probably more like 50

... and what reason would I have to lie to you, random internet dude?  Plenty of other people got great numbers too.

The only time I dipped below 30 for more than a few seconds was in WvW and the beta closing events fighting the bunny. D:

I'll have to admit, I actually can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, or maybe even 20 fps, so I was wondering if maybe I just couldn't SEE the bad performance.

So I downloaded FRAPS so I could have that number in the corner.

I was shocked to see that even playing another game simultaneously, I was usually getting around 50 fps even in places like Divinity's Reach.

*shrug*

Performance was all over the place for various sorts of computers.  My computer isn't even that much better than yours (And a worse graphics card).

Most of the people having the worst problems seemed to have either significantly worse systems, or were overclocking, or were using Athlon (Or all three)

Yeah I think its about time to leave ATI video cards and Athlon processors behind. I am getting a new rig in the fall and it will be a top of the line Intel with a high end Geforce.  This time I will stress having a top of the line CPU above the video card.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I will not buy the game until I know the performance has been taken care of properly. I cannot rely on "it will happen", been around the block too many times, I can wait for it "to happen".

Right or wrong GW1 was 5x at least as more polished vs GW2 at this point vs the release date 2 months from now. I'm pretty surprised Anet has done so many things differently this time around, still wonder if some top people left or if NCSoft has a large hand in it.  GW1 was the near flawless beta with the flawless release. GW2 hasn't performed as well as GW1 at any point in eithers beta. Then last beta they change the skill tree, GW1 they had a system, stuck with it, seemed focused. To me this is very late second guessing.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

There is no magic wand that they are going to wave

In general that is the safe bet money. But there have been several that have turned around. Several systems run in a debug mode that by itself can eat 15-20 FPS like that. I agree in general, but it isn't a sure fire constant.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Istavaan

rift had terrible fps issues during its beta..some people have short memories.

rift still has performance issues on my gtx260, a card that should be able to eat it alive despite it's age.

Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Istavaan

rift had terrible fps issues during its beta..some people have short memories.

rift still has performance issues on my gtx260, a card that should be able to eat it alive despite it's age.

Rift uses a heavily modified Gamebryo engine. Gamebryo is crap.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

There is no magic wand that they are going to wave

In general that is the safe bet money. But there have been several that have turned around. Several systems run in a debug mode that by itself can eat 15-20 FPS like that. I agree in general, but it isn't a sure fire constant.

Yep. this is pretty much it.  Too bad too.  I remember the thing I liked most about the GW1 client was how lightweight and smooth it was back when it released.  Good fps, nice response, able to tab out easily.  This new updated client feels much more cumbersome.  Oh well, time will tell.

• After BWE3 I will start taking these posts seriously.  Many games do quite a bit of serious performance tweaking in the 2 months before release time frame.

If there are serious performance problems one month out then you can worry.  You might still turn out wrong, but I certainly wouldn't make fun of someone for being uncertain about buying a game at that point.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts. I have a very good system that runs pretty much everything at high settings on most games today pretty well.

Rift has always ran kind of above average but not great. They told us during beta it would get better and it did, but not by much.

I am concerned that GW2 is not going to run much better than it does. I know they said that it is CPU heavy in the beta, but I am not sure if I buy that. I think this is the way the game was written and there is not much more they can do.

Keep in mind what you say "runs well" and what I say runs well could be two different things. All I know is that when I game is hovering around 30fps and sometimes dips below that mark (when your eye starts noticing choppiness) it bugs me.

As of BWE2, I can run GW2 on medium settings + 1920x1080 and maintain a pretty solid 30 fps, though it temporarily dips in certain huge open areas (something associated with draw distance, I believe).  I've only got a 2.95 Ghz dual-core + Radeon HD 5670, the latter of which is, as has been said, not really being taken advantage of as of yet.

A second thing to consider is that, in the average game development pipeline, performance optimization doesn't normally occur until the polishing stage, after content-building has been finished.  ArenaNet has already done some optimization despite their not officially entering the polishing stage until today, which suggests to me that they will do some more work on it before BWE3 on July 20th.

How much better will it get?  I don't know.  But it will get better.  Between BWE1 and BWE2, despite their calling it "light optimization," I was able to kick my settings up a couple of notches without impacting my performance at all.

Also, just food for thought: the point at which your eye "notices choppiness" isn't always 30 fps, especially with something like games where there isn't any kind of motion blur or frame blending.  Film, for example, is invariably recorded at 24 fps, but doesn't appear choppy at all.  Whereas something like an arcade game might appear choppy at anything under 60fps.  Speed of motion has a direct effect on how smoothly something appears to move, especially when there is no motion blur in each frame, as with games.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

if you guys took the time to read the knows issue and FAQ in the beta forums no1 would be asking question about the performance,

Its was CPU bound, and the optimization was not on,

i had to play with only 1 videocard because SLi was not supported,

everything will be running correctly at the release,

they tested a very amont of videocard i was suprised that some old videocard could run the game,.

here all the videocard http://i.imgur.com/4bXxF.jpg

anyway here the link for performance and knows issues  http://i.imgur.com/GNaFg.png

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts. I have a very good system that runs pretty much everything at high settings on most games today pretty well.

Rift has always ran kind of above average but not great. They told us during beta it would get better and it did, but not by much.

I am concerned that GW2 is not going to run much better than it does. I know they said that it is CPU heavy in the beta, but I am not sure if I buy that. I think this is the way the game was written and there is not much more they can do.

Keep in mind what you say "runs well" and what I say runs well could be two different things. All I know is that when I game is hovering around 30fps and sometimes dips below that mark (when your eye starts noticing choppiness) it bugs me.

I think some of you need to seriously think about investing in a better computer. The game runs just fine and is beautiful.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by dadante666
    Originally posted by donjn Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts. I have a very good system that runs pretty much everything at high settings on most games today pretty well. Rift has always ran kind of above average but not great. They told us during beta it would get better and it did, but not by much. I am concerned that GW2 is not going to run much better than it does. I know they said that it is CPU heavy in the beta, but I am not sure if I buy that. I think this is the way the game was written and there is not much more they can do. Keep in mind what you say "runs well" and what I say runs well could be two different things. All I know is that when I game is hovering around 30fps and sometimes dips below that mark (when your eye starts noticing choppiness) it bugs me.
    yeh it happen we just need to wait and see ...lets just wait probably it will be fix the game is not release yet we cant say anithing for sure till is the end .

Originally posted by sk8chalif
    if you guys took the time to read the knows issue and FAQ in the beta forums no1 would be asking question about the performance,

they tested a very amont of videocard i was suprised that some old videocard could run the game,.

If you took the time to use your brain you would have realized your post makes zero sense. Did you even read the Ops post or just jumped white knight syndrom for GW2?

I can't wait for the shirtstorm once people realise GW2 wont be the PRETTY new thing.

Game is CPU bound, old GPUs still work, WOW genius.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by gestalt11

After BWE3 I will start taking these posts seriously.  Many games do quite a bit of serious performance tweaking in the 2 months before release time frame.

If there are serious performance problems one month out then you can worry.  You might still turn out wrong, but I certainly wouldn't make fun of someone for being uncertain about buying a game at that point.

Honestly, there are almost no performance complaints anymore.

Not on the beta forums, not in game, even people streaming it are saying how surprised they are by how smoothly the game runs.

I'm not sure what systems these people are running, but I've managed to run GW2 on some pretty low-end machines and have been fine. It might not even be a hardware issue. It could be that they have a bunch of background processes running that are conflicting w/ the game somehow. It could be that they haven't optimized their boxes, and as such aren't using as much of the hardware as they think they are. It could be a number of things.

Not saying there haven't been performance issues, but they are rare enough now to the point where they seem more like isolated issues, instead of wide-spread game problems. I can honestly say that GW2 runs smoother than most games I've played, and my PC is cluttered as hell atm (keep putting off cleaning out my system).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 is a Directx 9 game. I have not seen anywhere that it will have Dx11 modes at all.

It have Dx 10 support but not Dx 11.  MMOs takes so long time to make that they rarely have the latest stuff.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by skydiver12

Originally posted by sk8chalif

If you took the time to use your brain you would have realized your post makes zero sense. Did you even read the Ops post or just jumped white knight syndrom for GW2?

I can't wait for the shirtstorm once people realise GW2 wont be the PRETTY new thing.

Game is CPU bound, old GPUs still work, WOW genius.

If you're gunna be a dick, I'd suggest you make sure you are right first.

You just basically re-worded the guy you quoted, and ridiculed him for it. Not only does he know the game is CPU bound, and mentions this fact, that was a large part of his point. A lot of the performance issues come from people trying to run features that aren't enabled yet.

Furthermore, they have started transfering some of the processing over to the GPU already. This was present for the BWE2. They are far from finished, but the process has already been started.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

For all them folks worrying about it running smooth there is an option trade in your old pile of junk for a modern one and you will be fine. It's ran smooth on my rig and I've had not problem in any of the BWE's or stress testing so that's all I care about and if you have had issues then stay away and save your self the hassle of frustration and find another game.

I'm sure that as the next BWE's happens they will have the full version running to make sure they offering a good product and quailty game, however they will never do it right for everyone and there will always be some who feel they being ripped off and moaning all over the net because that's what humans do best...

If you feel it's shit then don't pre-order or get your pre-order money back problem solved.

Bandit

Asbo

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

I will not buy the game until I know the performance has been taken care of properly. I cannot rely on "it will happen", been around the block too many times, I can wait for it "to happen".

Right or wrong GW1 was 5x at least as more polished vs GW2 at this point vs the release date 2 months from now. I'm pretty surprised Anet has done so many things differently this time around, still wonder if some top people left or if NCSoft has a large hand in it.  GW1 was the near flawless beta with the flawless release. GW2 hasn't performed as well as GW1 at any point in eithers beta. Then last beta they change the skill tree, GW1 they had a system, stuck with it, seemed focused. To me this is very late second guessing.

GW1 had a simpler engine without the Z axle, just X and Y so there is a lot more that can go wrong here. And GW1 have changed a lot now since the beta, for one thing you can only respec in towns now even if a lot of the basics have been around since the beta. To be honest do I think Strain is a better lead designer than Eric but GW2 is still in alot better shape than most games.

Still, no hurry to buy the game, get it when you think you and it are both ready. Starting a few months after wont really have any big impact.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Loke666

GW2 is a Directx 9 game. I have not seen anywhere that it will have Dx11 modes at all.

It have Dx 10 support but not Dx 11.  MMOs takes so long time to make that they rarely have the latest stuff.

We don't know if it will have Dx 10 or 11, arenanet has told us nothing about it in a very long time. The only thing that they have said is a 5 years old post from a forum where a arenanet dev said  that it would run Dx 10, this was before Dx 11 was even in beta stages. We could very likely see Dx 11 at launch.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Having been in several betas in my lifetime, and been told it is "just a beta, we are working on performance" I have my doubts.

You can doubt all you want, but the performance improvements between BW1 and BW2 are definitely real, that's a fact :-)

Phenom II X4 940 (3.4GHZ), 4GB DDR2 RAM, ATI HD6870 1GB DDR5 - the only place where I got less than optimal performance is a specific spot in the Charr starter area, a wood, where for some reason, the game performance seems to tank. Everywhere else, the game is smooth and stable.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by aesperus

You just basically re-worded the guy you quoted, and ridiculed him for it. Not only does he know the game is CPU bound, and mentions this fact, that was a large part of his point. A lot of the performance issues come from people trying to run features that aren't enabled yet.

Furthermore, they have started transfering some of the processing over to the GPU already. This was present for the BWE2. They are far from finished, but the process has already been started.

How do you run features which aren't enabled yet?

Furthermore, got a specific proof like a link for your "GPU optimisation in BEW2" Or are you just fact wishing for your statement?

I sure hope you are not stating the tiny one liner from the FAQ as your source of wishfull thinking. Or let me guess someone on mmorpg said the performance got better, right?

If you're gunna be a dick, I'd suggest you make sure you are right first. Start with linking specific sources with a list of what changes happened.

Way to many fanboys knighting here.