Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

I've been playing D3 now regularly since release date.  I've geared my character decently (for Act 2 at least anyway) and now I'm just wondering... Should I carry on?

The reasons for this are as follows:

- There is no news on PvP or any future content, therefore for the time being all there is to do ingame is the same farming runs over & over again.  At the moment it's much more efficient to farm ALONE as opposed to grouping with players... A) Due to the fact that the monsters get MUCH harder when grouping, B) You'll hardly ever find a decent group, a lot of people suck & end up leaving after one wipe.  I can farm up to 5 stacks within around 7-10 mins alone, with a group I'd be lucky to make it to 2 stacks within 20+ mins before everybody gave up.

- I'm the type of person that only likes to focus on ONE type of game where min/maxing and focusing on character progression is important.  It allows me to not get things mixed up between games, and allows me to focus my free time on progressing with the one game as opposed to two/three at a time.  Now, 'The Secret World' is literally just around the corner, and it is extremely tempting, at least until GW2 is released.  That alone has made me question whether or not to stick with D3, and as I'm not playing ANY fully fledged MMOs at the moment, it has made it even more tempting.

- This I'm sure most people are aware of, although every time I come on to these forums there are threads mentioning the drop in players in public games.  There were over 6 million copies sold within the first 7 days apparently, and now you're lucky to find 1000+ players in public games at one time.  I went on earlier tonight around 19:00 and it said there were 457 players in public games.  Now come on, this is just ridiculous.  At first glance, I thought my game was bugged, but then I remembered back to all the threads I've been reading and figured it's probably correct.  If there are only a miniscule amount of players still playing the game then surely something's wrong and needs to be fixed.

I tried to treat D3 as I would an MMO where I can spend vast amounts of time getting my character stronger/better, or at least try to get a decent amount of lastability out of it.  Although it seems at the moment, considering there's not much else to do endgame, there really doesn't seem like any point in it whatsoever.

I'm trying so hard to keep myself playing, because I keep thinking "Oh, PvP will come soon, expansions will be released in the future, so yes it's definitely worth it to keep progressing your character" although the more I think about it the more it seems pointless, considering the lack of players now etc.

If I decided to quit D3, I'd uninstall and that would probably be the end of it, so I'm desperately trying to find a reason to stay and to not go out & purchase TSW, because I know if I do, D3 will just become a thing of the past for me.

It's not that I'm particularly 'bored' as such with D3, it's just that I've constantly got this bad feeling where it seems as though all the time/effort I'm currently putting into the game is all going to be for nothing in the end.  I know that is the general basis of ALL character progression type games, as in the very end of the game's life anything you've achieved becomes pointless anyway, but whilst the game is still alive & active, then of course your gear etc means something.  Therefore, I'm stuck thinking whether to carry on or just stop.

I suppose due to the fact that it's Blizzard, and they have a tendency to create addictive games, I'm getting to the point I was with WoW 6 months back, which is when I decided to stop playing.  I was really just carrying on playing, BECAUSE of the fact that it was Blizzard and WoW was the most popular MMO in the World, but in the end all I saw myself doing was sitting idle in Orgrimmar or running around in circles outside the Auction House every time I logged on.

Anyway... What are you guys' serious & personal thoughts on this?  Do you all feel it's actually worth it to carry on playing D3, or should I just bite the bullet and stop playing?  I just don't want to quit and then a month down the line everybody is saying what a great game D3 has become and how people should never have stopped playing.

Comments

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

OP, you already know the answer.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Looks like the HC gamer in you just died. You know the answer.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Do you have some other game (or activity) that you would rather do instead?  If not, might as well carry on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Play HardCore and wait for PVP.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

lol if u already have it whats the deal? imean play it wnv you want it  thast the point  once u bored and have nothing to do play if like if not theres aton of f2p games really good and worth ,i really recomend you gw2 if you are into mmo its free better than any subs out there and  its worth it

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's just a dungeon grinder, chuck the box on your shelf and go back to it another time. What's the fuss?

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by FuryV

I've constantly got this bad feeling where it seems as though all the time/effort I'm currently putting into the game is all going to be for nothing in the end.                              

Newsflash for you - this is true for any video game.  If you consider time spent in a video game as "effort", you are no longer playing a game.  You a trying for find a substitute for a job.  Time to move on.

• halojahaloja Member Posts: 4

You really should try path of exile, they just revealed the new(and amazing) end game system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0RY2kQ3GM

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

I have stopped playing untill pvp pacth is implemented. I still have it installed on my comp just in case i do get bored playing some other stuff. But really i'm not playing it much right now

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Impulse47

I've constantly got this bad feeling where it seems as though all the time/effort I'm currently putting into the game is all going to be for nothing in the end.                              

Newsflash for you - this is true for any video game.  If you consider time spent in a video game as "effort", you are no longer playing a game.  You a trying for find a substitute for a job.  Time to move on.

This. We play video games for one reason... to have fun. It's not a job, nobody pays you to do it, you're not learning any skill that will be useful (outside the realm of games, that is), it's just a hobby, something we do because we want to, again, to have fun.
     TBH from your first post sounds like you're not really asking a question... sounds that in your mind (whether you're aware of it or not) you already decided what to do, and are just looking for external justification or aproval for it.

Just remember... it's a game... we do it for fun... it's neither a job, nor an obligation, it's something we're supposed to do because we want to do it, not because we have to make an effort to do it. Besides, you say you don't want to quit and hear people in a month say how great D3 has become... what stops you from quitting right now and reinstall in a month if that happens?

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by SonofSeth

Play HardCore and wait for PVP.

Blizzards servers are too screwed up to play HC. At least for me.

I had a level 8 HC character die by rubberbanding. Though i could pop potions and still take damage just fine. Until i ran out of potions at least. I couldn't do any damage at all.

• Sandman24Sandman24 Member Posts: 47

Why do people ask questions with the answer to said question(s) in the question itself?  That being said...Torchlight 2 FTW!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by Impulse47

This. We play video games for one reason... to have fun. It's not a job, nobody pays you to do it, you're not learning any skill that will be useful (outside the realm of games, that is), it's just a hobby, something we do because we want to, again, to have fun.
     TBH from your first post sounds like you're not really asking a question... sounds that in your mind (whether you're aware of it or not) you already decided what to do, and are just looking for external justification or aproval for it.

Just remember... it's a game... we do it for fun... it's neither a job, nor an obligation, it's something we're supposed to do because we want to do it, not because we have to make an effort to do it. Besides, you say you don't want to quit and hear people in a month say how great D3 has become... what stops you from quitting right now and reinstall in a month if that happens?

And sadly, this says a lot about how most games are being designed nowadays. They are exploting the parts of human nature that drive us to do things like 'get a job', 'work', 'be productive' and put them in a video game format. It's addicting, and in many cases it stops being a game, and becomes more of a time sink. We think it's fun, because it feels good, but you've just hit the nail on the head when it comes to what makes an actually fun video game.

For example, I can still pick up super mario bro's and have a blast. I can't do this for most mmos. I can't do this for call of duty. It's a big problem w/ progression based games. Too many don't have solid mechanics, but the drive to keep getting better stuff keeps you going passed all that.

When a game is based around that design, it doesn't allow us to have fun w/ the game. It always devolves into a sort of job. Hell, even D2 had the same problem, it just took people longer to catch on.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

OP do you really want us to help you answer your question?

Short answer: if the game is fun then keep playing..

Long answer: Just uninstall and wait until pvp patch...........................

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Kabaal

It's just a dungeon grinder, chuck the box on your shelf and go back to it another time. What's the fuss?

Exactly as this guy says, do it.

I have uninstalled the game, I will likely go back if they patch in something fun like PvP but just now I am not going to play it just because I feel obliged to, it's not an MMO, there is no sub, just put it on the shelf for a while and do something else.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Take a break. You already own the game. You can come back and play whenever you want to.

Play some other game first. There is no reason to stick to one game at a time.

• If you don't feel like playing, don't.

If you feel like playing again later, log in and play.

Why make a huge post about it? This stuff isn't complicated.