Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom, Racism?, and Ragnar Says

2»

Comments

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

For ages now, most of these sorts of companies have been using 'generic' faces in order to appease people like the OP. That way they 'insult' everyone equally. The faces are a mashup of faces from all over the world, as such they don't accurately resemble any known 'race'. It's ridiculous but that's the way the world is thanks to political correctness and lawyers.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by highflying

[mod edit]

No "race" in the human genome is restricted to two distinctive looking faces dude try again.....

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

If the OP is offended by the stereotapicality and racism of TSW's CC, I wonder how he feels when watching a rap video.

• alientantraalientantra Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by highflying

[mod edit]

[mod edit]I have said it, and will again: dividing up the characters by "race" into 2's just seems outdated, and unnesscary. And I think it is bad news--stereotyping if not racism. Dad's some sort of mix mash of European white and mother from Puerto Rico. But she ain't brown, she is black. Me? A whole lot of both, and damn proud.

Anyway, off topic. Why divide up into racial lines in a game? Orcs and elves I get. But in this one we are all humans right? Let me make a dark black man with whatever features I want. Same for a white guy or anything in between. Why divide the human race into little squares and tell us to tick off a box?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by alientantra
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I'm no fan of the game, but I hate needless drama posts that exist to stir up negative sensationalist vibes about a game with emotive words like 'racism' just pre launch even more.

And this as a first post?

As you say, not cool.

Not going to say sorry for this one. I read about five gaming websites regular as part of my job. I don't post. But when I tried to go make a guy to review in this one? I actually got shocked that a game today would do this. This issue bad enough that I decided to make a post. Yeah, my first. But to me it counts. And it's racism? How else do you say this dude? Some words flame up, but based on what I saw, it deserves some flaming up.

No, no it does not.

You are coming across as an attention seeker that is using emotive words in public just to be the centre of attention for a littlw while.

The CC is awful. Accepted. I have no idea how it got this far without someone at FC saying, 'this CC is a piece of crap, we cannot go live with this as our shop window and first impression of the game...'. Thats all that needs to be said

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

So wait....Funcom makes a game set in a modern setting, and attempts to have characters that look like modern humans, and this is racism?

Would it have been better if there was a blue skin option? Maybe some pokadots?

If I wanted I could go into a logic process, with your statements as a ruleset, that would end up at teh human genome being racist because it determines traites like eyeshape. *rubs throbbing temples*

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by kiiix
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

If you are offended by the black faces and asian faces then you should also be offended by the white guy faces.

The hair options are pathetic they don't suit any of the races at all.

The character creator is lacking you can make 3 characters, generic white guy, generic black guy and generic asian guy.

I wouldn't call it racist, I would call it lazy.

I could not have said it better my self

To the OP... Im a product of a Native American / African American relationship, and I approve this message. XD

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• meetxj9meetxj9 Member Posts: 133

So................whats wrong with being steroetypical. Did the game actually offend you or are you just that sensitive that the world have to 1 color for you.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Someone thinks the character creator might be racist?

Then you might find this interesting.

My girlfriend is Asian. I made a character in game that looked so much like her, when she saw it, it made her start laughing. She thought it was great.

One of my close friends is black. I made a character after him and even gave it his name. He thought he looked awesome with a big, hammer and trench coat.

Racist? I don't think so. Limited, sure. I wasn't able to get his hair cut just right, but pretty damn close.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I see where OP is pointing at and as a Black male I'll say I'm not too ofended by the way they place facial features together with skin tones.

What offended me more honestly was / are the poor hair choices that would go with said black toon. The hairstyles are pretty bad when trying to match a correct one to a dark toned character. All we have was the buzz cut. No braids, dreadlocks, no afro's.. All the hairstyles lend themselves more to caucasion / asian themed toons.

The nose thing is not so serious since you can make some adjustments to the size and look of the bridge and stuff.

The hairstyles however from the first BWE were and still are very, very disappointing..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, agree or disagree with the OP, there's no need for personal attacks. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Oh lord, are we really having this pointless disscussion on this forum too.. I bet ya money the OP is the same poster that's on the other forums stirring this up...

Am I happy with the CC? Hell no, I think it's very lacking for a 2012 game but I am hoping in time there will be more options.. Ragnar knows people are not happy with this aspect of the game. All you would have to do is search and you can find lots of stuff he's posted about the CC on reddit and the offical forums...

Ragnar already posted he would look into untying the colors is that not good enough for ya? I mean what more can you ask for then an answer to that question?  Gimme a break...

People are just reaching for anything they can so they can bitch about this game....

• alientantraalientantra Member Posts: 9
    This is not the beta cc, it is the one going out for launch. And I read the reddit interview w Ragnar. We might see improvement sometime after launch. Yeah I think its a bad idea to put up skins and faces in some this goes w that way. Not sure anybody thought that was a good idea. Lots of heads and lots of skins. The players are smart enough to find a head and skin on their own. No need to point us to certain ethnic choices. Let us mix and match.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by nationalcity

People are just reaching for anything they can so they can bitch about this game....

Presactly. As limited as the CC is at the moment, I still find that my character and those I see around me look like the normal people I see around me every day.

Imho, it's a helluva lot better than the generic SWTOR CC or the over-the-top teenage supermodels in g-string armor from Tera.

Whiners just want to whine

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED