Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Free, if there was a sub.....

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

For me, the $15 a month is trivial, compared to the $50-60 box price.  That's the cost that stops me from indiscriminatly  playing anything that comes along.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by seridan

The combat animations are meh in TSW, in GW2 the animations are a lot more fluid. TSW has a global skill cooldown and it is annoying, attack-wait-attack-wait, GW2 is a lot more responsive and skill chains happen nicely and feel perfect. Melee animations in TSW are very weak (it's not the best way to fight in that game anyway) there is also no "feel" when you are hit, in GW2 you get both visual and sound clues when you are hit or when a buff is used, you don't have to watch your "buffs/debuffs" to find out what is going on. Also in GW2 there are absolutely no chances, no chance to hit, no chance to evade/block, in TSW you can stay near an opponent and exchange blows (and dodge when you see the white circle on the ground) in GW2 you dodge/move all the time, otherwise you die. Ever fought one of those Incubus with the giant swords and watching their gigantic blade slice you in two but deal no damage?

Bud did you play GW2?? The animations are soso, I mean shit I had a 20 ranger in the betas ( it is a fun game ) and the animations are the same! even the sword attacks are blah at best, the pathing is broken have the time and you say that the skill chains are perfect? What are you smoking I want some :P

Did YOU play GW2? I played a Guardian, a Warrior, a Ranger and an Elementalist, I can assure you the skill chains were indeed perfect, unlike the waiting in TSW for a simple attack, there no chains there. What are you smoking comparing a GCD combat game like TSW with GW2? I hope you aren't serious comparing the two

Press button 1 , auto attack hmmm feels like wow again, button 2-4 , yup this is wow just B2P , then you comment on the combat of TSW and say it's a piece of crap, well GW2 is far from perfect, fading textures on a high end gaming rig, choppy combat animations, dodge is pretty much useless in GW2, the character models are soso at best, however I still like the game ALOT and will play it because it's unique, and this is coming from a CBT, can't say much more then that, because those issues I posted were from the beta weekend ect, so no need for a NDA mention there.

Maybe the CPU-bound didn't register when you read it, but even at low settings the animations in GW2 are superior to TSW. Choppy combat in GW2? Compared to TSW it's super fluid! At least you don't have to wait for a lame GCD every time, nor you see the exact same animations all the time. When you use a weapon with actual chain skills, all attacks are different, you see some fighting going on not the same skill over and over. Dodge is useless? Maybe you are thinking of TSW dodge because in GW2 dodge is actually useful, you can, and should, dodge all attacks not only the white circle attacks. Oh wait in TSW you have passive defenses so dodging isn't actually needed at all. In GW2 no dodge = dead, how is it useless?

This topic has been discussed in the past so it's already derailed from the very start.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I will make a "wild claim" and say that gw2 fixes all the things wrong with mmo's.

No ganking, node stealing, getting in each other's which I have experienced in other mmo's.

ballanced pvp for those that want it and ffa pvp for those that want it.

No time sinks and waypoints. You can pretty much skip whatever you dont want to do and have fun your way.

Simple yet affective character building had depth but is very accessable.

Simple and affective crafting. First thing I made was bags to increase inventory better than the ones you buy, FIRST THING.

Just a few things of the top and only a scratch at the surface.

O yeah and no grouping open world cooperative dynamic events that work!!!!!!!!

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

If there was a monthly sub for Guild Wars 2, would the game barely make a ripple?. Honestly, the hype is so over the top it's cliche.

If the game changed nothing so far but the addition of a $15 a month fee, would most of you shuffle off or go back to what ever else was F2P?.

Maybe a fair and more realistic hype would be (it's the best looking F2P game coming out) certainly more realistic than the claims right here on these forums that GW2 is a hybid themepark/sandbox.

I have seen no nation, city or home building, only typical and limited crafting and no unstructured open world pvp, things that would point to sandbox are missing by most accounts, but turn on the over hype machine and they magicaly appear.

No endgame? no levels? no character building constraints, just pick a name and heap on the abbilities? the maps have no edges?

I dont have enough time to get into the pvp claims but add a sub fee and this title would crash back to earth faster than Skylab. Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

I will try and read it before it's crushed under a mountain of hype.

and yet even though its only a bog standard mmo its going to sell 3 million copies why dont all the other mmo's  do the same 

isnt 3 million box sales better than 200k  with a monthly sub

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I will admit that the game got over-hyped, but that goes to show you how completly desperate we MMO gamers are for a truly great new MMO, GW2 is great imo and its what both I and my Wife have been looking for, but its not the perfect MMO.

Would I pay a fee, no I hate sub games, that system is nearly dead, give it a year or so and it will go the way of the Dodo and games on a plastic disk in a shiny box.

Buy to play, since I already bought 2 collectors editions, id say ya its worth it XD

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

I would pay a sub for GW2, but it would probably only be for a month or two. The WvWvW PVP didn't really hold my attention and there isn't enough PVE-wise to last beyond a month or two for someone who plays a little more than casually. I think the thing that will allow for this game to be successful is that it doesn't have a sub so people won't mind when the content runs out and will continue to play occasionally when they get that itch. If it did have a sub, I think it would be a niche PVP game as the people who are only interested in PVE content would find it lacking after the first month or two.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

When GW2 is out, there will be no MMO in the market that is able to justify getting a sub fee from me.

GW2 is everything a large portion of the MMO player base (and some non MMO players as well) that are casual in reagards to play time, but no quality and depth, want.

The rest of the OP post is a bunch of uninformed and outright misinformation mixed with some personal opinions and tastes.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

If there was a monthly sub for Guild Wars 2, would the game barely make a ripple?. Honestly, the hype is so over the top it's cliche.

If the game changed nothing so far but the addition of a $15 a month fee, would most of you shuffle off or go back to what ever else was F2P?.

Maybe a fair and more realistic hype would be (it's the best looking F2P game coming out) certainly more realistic than the claims right here on these forums that GW2 is a hybid themepark/sandbox.

I have seen no nation, city or home building, only typical and limited crafting and no unstructured open world pvp, things that would point to sandbox are missing by most accounts, but turn on the over hype machine and they magicaly appear.

No endgame? no levels? no character building constraints, just pick a name and heap on the abbilities? the maps have no edges?

I dont have enough time to get into the pvp claims but add a sub fee and this title would crash back to earth faster than Skylab. Does anyone have a calm, logical, honest review of the game? strengths and weaknesses, please feel free to add it here.

GW2 has more content, replayability and also have better art style, better combat and preferably better lore than any other game that launched for years (this includes TSW as well), and has right to charge sub fee more than any of its competitors. This is not some fanboy statement. This we got by playing all those games, giving them time the chance to patch themselves.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

The secret world is better then this game in its current state.

Too bad most people wont give the secret world any time of day.

I gave TSW the time of day....I gave it 9pm till 11pm on Friday night and never touched it again.  The game sucks.  Cool concept, cool talent system, but sucks everywhere else.  It should not be touted as an MMO.  Its another story driven Single player RPG with other people running around, like swtor. 

GW2 > TSW.

Period...there really is no comparison.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh look mommy, another thread that has been discussed to death! may i keep it!?

unstructured open world pvp? name one game where this didnt end in ganking. seriously, you people need to grow up.

if you wanna item grind, there is enough for you out there already, nothing to see here, move along.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I played TSW and IT IS NOT a better game in my opinion. It is a Single player game with some MMO stuff thrown in - like a console game. It is utter crap.

GW2 is a good game  and it does have flaws but I can't wait to play it.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh and seriously, stop judging those games.

"it's utter crap!" just tells us how narrow your sight is, nothing more.

TSW is actually quite the good game, you just dont like it. this does not make it crap tho kiddoe.

your opinion is NOT mandatory for the whole world, sorry to destroy your litle bubble there.

ps: GW2 actually has more of a console game than TSW... just mentioning

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

GW2 has more content, replayability and also have better art style, better combat and preferably better lore than any other game that launched for years (this includes TSW as well), and has right to charge sub fee more than any of its competitors. This is not some fanboy statement. This we got by playing all those games, giving them time the chance to patch themselves.

Not really. WOW, Rift and others have more content. Also, it also depends on how long it takes to finish said content.

If by this you mean alts, SWTOR as more

Personall opinion, which is fine.

TERA, Vindictus, DCUO, and other games with full action combat are stll better, mostly because GW2 tab target makes attacks change direction in mid-air. Still better than most tab target mmos.

WOW, WAR, AOC, and TSW are better lore and story. And since we're are the topic of lore, i'd call a "proto-reality" where pvp happens to be extreme cop-out, lore wise that is.

Not a fanboy statement at all. Really, it isn't.

I love rainbows image

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Thane

uh and seriously, stop judging those games.

"it's utter crap!" just tells us how narrow your sight is, nothing more.

TSW is actually quite the good game, you just dont like it. this does not make it crap tho kiddoe.

your opinion is NOT mandatory for the whole world, sorry to destroy your litle bubble there.

Do we know what will be available in the CS in TSW? The fee alone makes me cringe. The graphics were not imprseeive and the button mashing you have to do - 1,1,1,1,1,1,3 - rinse and repeat.

The quests were not well thought out - my complaint about GW2 at times.

As I said it is my opinion and I will stick by it.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

These threads and their hypothetical musings are cute.  There's no sub fee, no plan on a sub fee, and also, there's not going to be a sub fee.  Might as well ask "Hey, if Secretariat was a gopher, would he have still won the Triple Crown?". 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

People keep discussing the "hype" with GW2. Other than this site and the official one, where is all the hype? I have seen no advertisements on websites in the masses like WoW, Rift, or AoC. I scarcley say that the ads are anymore or any less than those of TSW, and yet no one has labeled it "a WoW killer". Those who dislike the game to me have labeled it "The Second Coming" or "The Messiah", but I just see it as an awesome new title. 

As for the OP, yes of course I would pay for a sub for a game like this. It comes down to entertainement value in my book, and 50 cents a day is hardly a problem for most people. No matter how you look at this in a monetary value you will win in my view. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Not really. WOW, Rift and others have more content. Also, it also depends on how long it takes to finish said content.

How do you know for sure? We haven't seen the full content of GW2. If it depends on how long it takes to finish content then GW2 certainly will have more than WoW (how long til max level in WoW? And then most content becomes useless?) Are you also comparing WoW with all the expansions over the years or only vanilla WoW?

How so? SWTOR only offers new class stories for alts, they end after only a few hours of gameplay and then all classes follow the same story. GW2 offers a new experience when you roll an alt until a late level, and even then you get to choose among 3 different factions, even for max level you need 3 characters to see the whole story. If what the wiki says is true you have around 7k different combinations for alts, how many exist in SWTOR? only a very very small fraction.

Of course, personal opinion.

TERA, Vindictus, DCUO, and other games with full action combat are stll better, mostly because GW2 tab target makes attacks change direction in mid-air. Still better than most tab target mmos.

This is also a very Personal opinion. As a hybrid of action/tab target game GW2 is the best option available. TERA has some bad mechanics in combat as well (fixed animations, you can't move while attacking) I don't see how TERA is better but that's also my opinion

WOW, WAR, AOC, and TSW are better lore and story. And since we're are the topic of lore, i'd call a "proto-reality" where pvp happens to be extreme cop-out, lore wise that is.

The definition of personal opinion again. I could agree with TSW, since it has a rather unique story (modern not the same fantasy we see all the time) but I don't know about the others. WAR for sure didn't have any worthwhile story at all. I'm surprised you didn't have SWTOR in the list of better story/lore games

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• VoncloudVoncloud Member Posts: 5

Its not that its B2P thats the appeal to me, what appeals to me, is the change, they are trying to make GW2 play differently to other MMO's, to remove the feel of grinding, all of that appeals to me, i have played only the one beta weekend so far and will be on the stress test tommorow, and already i am in love with the game, but not because its F2P or indeed for the hype, ive read hardly anything forums wise about GW2, everything im excited about ive read about on the offical site, or from watching totel biscuit on youtube. But what appeals to me the most about GW2 is just the way it works, the way it feels and moves compared to other MMO's. When yoru carrying a big ass hammer, you acctully feel your carrying a big ass hammer, and the game reacts as if you were, and not many games give you that, that are not Sub based. 

I dont beleive in hype, i never have done, for what i have seen on the website, and tested for myself, i think id be happy to pay a monthly fee for it, it has a strange sense of being online, but also being a console Rpg. Not to sound vain or nothin, but back in my wow days, i used to like going to the lower level areas as ahigh level, and being there if needed, i loved the idea of rushing in and in a sense, saving the lower levels, but, in wow, it not only didnt really benefit the lower levels, it didnt feel epic..where as in GW2 beta, there were a couple dealing with the champion grawl and not doing well, i was on top of the rocks near his spawn, i jumped down with my mighty hammer! then swung at him knocking him away and proceeded to blugeon him.

We died..but! it felt awesome to do that, and no other game MMO wise, gives me that sort of buzz, PvP wise i feel the same, the fact that i joined the WvW pvp and it was mostly equal between the 3 sides, i helped take back an outpost of ours then went out IRL. When i went back to it though, pretty much all of the map had been taken over by an enemy, and it was a mad panic to try and protect what we had left along with trying tio counter attack, it was great, and again, ive not played any other MMO with that sort of ongoing PvP and feel of urgancy, the fact that retreating to a more defended position, is acctully viable. 

There is alot in GW2 that for me personally as a player im excited about, and i think thats where people are going wrong, GW2 is there to try and appeal to indevidual player tastes to make you play the game and think, wow, i like this game, not think "this is just like <insert game here>" They are trying to be unique, and that alone is what makes me excited about it, not the amount i pay for it. Alot of MMOS out there play the same, and some dont even bother to try and break the mold, GW2 is trying, and that would be worth a sub to me. 

• Originally posted by seridan

The combat animations are meh in TSW, in GW2 the animations are a lot more fluid. TSW has a global skill cooldown and it is annoying, attack-wait-attack-wait, GW2 is a lot more responsive and skill chains happen nicely and feel perfect.

You know, this is something I didn't even realize while playing GW2 until you mentioned it.  I completely forgot what it was like playing an MMO with a GCD and just thinking about it now makes me cringe.  It really detracts from the fluidity of combat having a mandatory pause between skills.  I really hope this is yet another concept that GW2 makes obsolete for future MMO's.

To answer the OP's question: I would most definitely pay a subscription fee for GW2.  I can't think of a single P2P MMO that I would enjoy more than GW2 even if they offered me a free account.

• VoncloudVoncloud Member Posts: 5

The definition of personal opinion again. I could agree with TSW, since it has a rather unique story (modern not the same fantasy we see all the time) but I don't know about the others. WAR for sure didn't have any worthwhile story at all. I'm surprised you didn't have SWTOR in the list of better story/lore games

one thing i have to say about this part, Lorewise, i think its a double edged sword, I played the Original Guild Wars when it first came out, so playing a charr was a treat for me, but if you havent played it, i can understand that in some cases, things dont make sense, hopefully it will be something that gets better explained as you play. But lore wise, Guild Wars does have a sizable amount i think the issue is, if you havent played the original, you will have some catching up to do. 

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I think GW2 being B2P is one of it's core features. So, asking if it had a sub would be like asking if you'd still play TSW if it didn't have a modern setting (guarantee that's a big fat no).

I've never heard someone say it was a sandbox game, so that is a strawman if I ever saw one.

It's very entertaining that the OP knocks the PvP in Guild Wars 2 but is a fan of Fusang in TSW...

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I would pay monthly for guild wars 2 also, its better than any current subscription mmo, so if those games are worth a sub then gw2 definitely is. The reason its hyped is because people have played it and the majority think its a great game.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Uhm, no. TSW is good but GW2 is much better. PvP in TSW is laughable, PvP in GW2 is probably the best PvP in 10 years or so. Combat and movement in TSW feels stiffer than my erect cock. But the atmosphere is great, and the investigation missions are refreshing.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The people who are bigging up the TWS wont be playing it by the time GW2 comes out..Funny that.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

How do you know for sure? We haven't seen the full content of GW2. If it depends on how long it takes to finish content then GW2 certainly will have more than WoW (how long til max level in WoW? And then most content becomes useless?) Are you also comparing WoW with all the expansions over the years or only vanilla WoW?

How so? SWTOR only offers new class stories for alts, they end after only a few hours of gameplay and then all classes follow the same story. GW2 offers a new experience when you roll an alt until a late level, and even then you get to choose among 3 different factions, even for max level you need 3 characters to see the whole story. If what the wiki says is true you have around 7k different combinations for alts, how many exist in SWTOR? only a very very small fraction.

Of course, personal opinion.

This is also a very Personal opinion. As a hybrid of action/tab target game GW2 is the best option available. TERA has some bad mechanics in combat as well (fixed animations, you can't move while attacking) I don't see how TERA is better but that's also my opinion

Well, to be completly honest, all of this is personall opinion. I'm sorr but i'm got going to counter-argument simply because this isn't the thread for it, if you don't mind. I simply responded to the other poster because he clearcly stated is opinion as fact and even said he haven't going fanboy on the game. *rollseyes*

This discussion has been closed.