Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mellee or Ranged

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What do you prefer in this game?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Ranged, AR/Shotgun or AR/Elementalism build.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

I prefer mix of both. My shotgun / hammer combo rocks.

• jp60jp60 Member Posts: 80

I like Melee a lot in this game even though the animations are a bit clunky. I'm still getting used to the idea of using guns but the magic in the game looks great too. So far I've just been playing the witch hunter deck with swords and a hammer.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Both at the same time.  I used shotgun and sword together the most.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

For pvp I run a mix. I'm working on a full range pve build. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    [mod edit]

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    [mod edit]
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I am probably doing both here as well. Blade/Blood magic maybe? Or Blade/Elemental?

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    [mod edit]
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I have to say I am more ranged but I switch up my builds as needed since there is not one build that rules it all.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

[mod edit]

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Shotty to the body for me with a lil blood magic on the side....

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I almost feel required to have range and melee or at least range/range.  Although I did enjoy hammer/chaos (both being melee) quite a bit in the beta.  I'm now debating hammer/shotgun or hammer/AR for the actual release of the game.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

For PvP, Ranged differentiated by AoE versus Single target. For PvP I think there is less Ranged vs Mêlée, per se. More like mêlée with a gun (or magic). Sure you get a shot off now and again and occasionally dash forward or back but let's face it. Range is short in PvE and mobs come in quickly.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

in pvp, at this moment i already meet "very strong" melee and no "very strong" ranged yet. During mass fight their only disavantage is melee takes all the CC/stun if they charge first, in smaller fight a good melee is very strong imo ^_^

in pve, i am not sure there is a big difference

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Chaos will be pretty much mandatory for any build once people realize how good it is.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Chaos will be pretty much mandatory for any build once people realize how good it is.

Hm? The best Chaos abilities I've heard of were role-specific or objective-specific. They do have some phenomenal PvP abilities, though.

.. But in a good way.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

For PvE Blades/AR or Shotgun/AR make for some very, very easy play.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Blacknd

Hm? The best Chaos abilities I've heard of were role-specific or objective-specific. They do have some phenomenal PvP abilities, though.

They have the best mitigation out of any weapon, Evasion >> Defense >>>> Block. In addition, they get two of them. If you chain Illusion + Smoke and Mirrors you get 18 seconds of the best mitigation in the game. If you use them both at the same time, you get complete immunity to both damage and CC for nearly 10 seconds. Throw in Immutable when you're about to die for shits and giggles. That leaves you 4 abilities for DPS which is enough to DPS as hard as anyone else.

Keep in mind Chaos mostly shines in challenging situations though (ie. dungeons, PvP), regular PvE is so ridiculously easy you can complete 99% of it without popping a single cooldown.

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

Which weapon can spam those big blue hammers at range? i recall getting completely destroyed by those a few times

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Blacknd

They have the best mitigation out of any weapon, Evasion >> Defense >>>> Block. In addition, they get two of them. If you chain Illusion + Smoke and Mirrors you get 18 seconds of the best mitigation in the game. If you use them both at the same time, you get complete immunity to both damage and CC for nearly 10 seconds. Throw in Immutable when you're about to die for shits and giggles. That leaves you 4 abilities for DPS which is enough to DPS as hard as anyone else.

Keep in mind Chaos mostly shines in challenging situations though (ie. dungeons, PvP), regular PvE is so ridiculously easy you can complete 99% of it without popping a single cooldown.

Ah yes. Evasion. I remembered hearing about it being the king of mitigation in the game so far.

I don't entirely expect it to become mandatory for PvP or even tanking, but if it does, I fully expect it to get nerfed until you feel like there are other choices again.

.. But in a good way.

• EnlivenEnliven Member Posts: 9

Elementalist's using thor's hammer, coupled with shotgun penetration bonus and the instant builder for elementalism that adds guaranteed crit, with ql 2 gear you can nuke for over 1200 dmg, ouch. In response to sword's being the flav, I don't think that's true. There are a lot of blades out there, but that's because they add soloability. Using hammer / sword is a pretty good tank build, but hammer / shotty / chaos would make you a much more powerful melee character, but you would have to rely on a healer to build your hp back up. Since most ppl didn't have time to think about making to builds in the beta, they wouldn't have a solo tank build along with a kick ass uber tank or dps tank build that would rock in pvp if you had a good team. Blade's will die after people get passed their need to solo out stronger more specialized builds.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Crisazgo

Which weapon can spam those big blue hammers at range? i recall getting completely destroyed by those a few times

That would be the elementalist (Thor's Hammer).

Little secret: That skill really isn't that good. There are better options for burst, that require less resources and don't have a cooldown. To make Thor's Hammer a really viable choice, you generally have to sacrifice additional skill slots. For a skill that doesn't hit that much harder than the next highest damage dealer, it's not a very good trade-off.

- back on topic:

I went mostly ranged. I was in the middle of working on a melee build when I ran out of time / AP. Got a ranged ele build that works really well, and an AoE build that surprisingly isn't all that useful in Fusang, but works great in PvE. I was really unimpressed with the benefits of AoE in PvP. There are massive zergs of players, but even still the range on most of the AoE is short enough where you still don't hit enough people to really make it viable.

I've seen some really good melee builds, but they are tricky to make. If you want to PvP at all you need to factor in a certain amount of survivability or you'll get rocked fast. Even most tanks I faced I could stun / burst before they could do much of anything.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Honestly, I don't.    I'm not so good at making ranged builds yet.   So I'm better at the blade/blood build I found.   But once I get some good ranged combos, it'll be fine.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Crisazgo

That would be the elementalist (Thor's Hammer).

Little secret: That skill really isn't that good. There are better options for burst, that require less resources and don't have a cooldown. To make Thor's Hammer a really viable choice, you generally have to sacrifice additional skill slots. For a skill that doesn't hit that much harder than the next highest damage dealer, it's not a very good trade-off.

15 second cooldown but on crit it does 2k + damage or will take half the HPs off a DPS class. The only downside is slowdown to movement and it seems to have a long cast time.

Ranged is better, it does the same damage, there are skills without the slowdown to movement so you can kite, you don't give up anything for being ranged. In instances you can avoid a lot of damage by staying away from the boss or shoot at point blank. 

In SWTOR people loved ranged because it did the same DPS as melee but was much safer, risk vs reward.

In TSW ranged does the same damage as melee,

unlike SWTOR ranged doesn't have a cast time so is just like a melee.

ranged can shoot at a 180 degree arc. so they can start at ranged then strafe at full run speed while shooting

ranged have the same defense as melee

ranged get more snares than melee

PvP is zerg vs zerg and ranged gets blown up last

If you are DPS there is no reason not to be ranged.