Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

£12.99 a month? Pre-order cancelled.

Comments

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93
    Regardless this isn't about GW2.  Aion is the second largest MMORPG in the world.  It failed in the west because of the culture gap between playstyles.  DDO was actually successful when it went F2P.  Many questioned why Turbine would convert its two properties, but the answer was clear.  They needed new blood to get injected into the game.

OFF-TOPIC

Where do you get this info if i might ask? Both Runescape, Maple Story and Perfect World International have a much higher player base than aion could ever dream of having.

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

a very pricey subs fee.  a cash shop.  and some of the most hideous looking character models in MMO history.  this game surely has the secret for success!

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by heartless
     I do think that GW1 and GW2's B2P model with an uninvasive cash shop is the future of this genre.

But GW1 and GW2 are not the same games.  We haven't seen their business model put to the test in a MMORPG environment.  Especially not when 3 million + people expected to buy it at launch and not with a larger company owning them with significantly higher overhead.

Regardless this isn't about GW2.  Aion is the second largest MMORPG in the world.  It failed in the west because of the culture gap between playstyles.  DDO was actually successful when it went F2P.  Many questioned why Turbine would convert its two properties, but the answer was clear.  They needed new blood to get injected into the game.

EVE is a very successful game and has grown in subscriptions every year.  I have no idea where anyone could think that game was actually faltering.

TSW will be wise to do what Trion Worlds has done.  Minor to Medium size updates every month or so and make the first zone F2P with content unlocks that non subscribers can buy into like they have for Conan.

I agree with some of the things you say, but I believe that TSW will do just fine as a Sub based game because of it's niche market, like Eve :)

I will be subbing to TSW for a very long time because I like almost, everything about that game!

We don't want the " Masses" in these Niche games, because the dev teams and already said that games like TSW and Eve are made to cater to certain people which to me is fine.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
     I do think that GW1 and GW2's B2P model with an uninvasive cash shop is the future of this genre.

But GW1 and GW2 are not the same games.  We haven't seen their business model put to the test in a MMORPG environment.  Especially not when 3 million + people expected to buy it at launch and not with a larger company owning them with significantly higher overhead.

EVE is a very successful game and has grown in subscriptions every year.  I have no idea where anyone could think that game was actually faltering.

TSW will be wise to do what Trion Worlds has done.  Minor to Medium size updates every month or so and make the first zone F2P with content unlocks that non subscribers can buy into like they have for Conan.

For all intents and purposes GW1 is an MMO which, as of Feb 2012, has sold over 7 million copies. ArenaNet's B2P model not only allowed the company to remain successful for 7 years, since GW1's launch but to fund the development of GW2 as well. That's much more impressive than most subscription MMOs.

The rest of it doesn't really matter. The games failed because most customers did not find value in the service offered. The reasons are irrelevent. Going F2P allowed the games to entice more players and convert them to paying customers. It's as simple as that. The games are now profitable even with the large chunk of their users being freeloaders. However, had they remained strictly subscription based, most would've probably been cancelled.

As far as EVE goes, the only reason I mentioned it was because it allows players to purchase game time with in-game currency. Which sort of makes it B2P. Otherwise, it's a very successful game and I for one love it.

Originally posted by MoonBeans

a very pricey subs fee.  a cash shop.  and some of the most hideous looking character models in MMO history.  this game surely has the secret for success!

I don't find the game costly at all, nor do I find the characters look bad, I would try turning your graphics up atad , you have'nt played Fallen earth have you?or even wow for that matter, man those games toons looked even worse but it's the game play mechanics and mission system, ability wheel, and TONSof content that speak to themselfs, as I said in my previous post, this game will not cater to everyone and that is fine :)

Less trolls to deal with.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Aeolron

I agree with some of the things you say, but I believe that TSW will do just fine as a Sub based game because of it's niche market, like Eve :)

I will be subbing to TSW for a very long time because I like almost, everything about that game!

We don't want the " Masses" in these Niche games, because the dev teams and already said that games like TSW and Eve are made to cater to certain people which to me is fine.

I'm sorry broh, but Eve is a one hell of a game.  you can't even compare it.   not to mention it has one of the best CC, a huge world, a very hardcore pvp.  is one of the few truely Sandbox MMO available.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

For all intents and purposes GW1 is an MMO 

No it's not.  It's a Lobby CO-OP RPG.  A huge differnce from a MMORPG.  ArenaNet said so themselves.

Heck many GW1 fans don't like GW2 because it's so different.

I'm sorry broh, but Eve is a one hell of a game.  you can't even compare it.   not to mention it has one of the best CC, a huge world, a very hardcore pvp.  is one of the few truely Sandbox MMO available.

where did you get that from? I was backing eve up ya nutcase LOL!

Yeah I agree with you for sure! But games like EQ and vangaurd are pretty good sandbox games too, and yes EQ is a sandbox! don't say otherwise or solesk ro will burn your ass hahaha

Best CC that you do basically nothing with your character.  Huge World of blackness and space - the other two points are spot on.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

all this talk of F2P is very interesting, but it does kind of get away from the whole point of, why is Funcom charging players more in one area than it is in another, quite a bit more as it happens, i could imagine why they would charge more in Euro's as the currency is devaluing so fast that i'd be surprised if its still accepted as legal tender in a years time, or next month even come to think of it image

People may complain about subs, but as long as their 'fair' players put up with it in order to play their particular favourite games,  asking people in one country to pay $15 per month is one thing, but when they then turn around and decide that actually people in a different country should pay $20 per month is questionable, someone else said about the living standards etc and wage rises or whatever, anyone who had followed the news etc would know that in the UK at least, those living standards are dropping, and wage values to inflation have been falling, year on year, which means that for the most part, people in the UK have less disposable income, a situation thats causing the government more than a few worries, and yeah, the UK is officially in recession, has been for a while.. is this Funcoms message, maybe they don't like people in the UK so their saying we'll let you play, but only if you pay us more for the priviledge..  image

So lost sale here also, which is a shame because i was enjoying the CB.. and really thought the game had something going for it. image

Originally posted by Phry

why is Funcom charging players more in one area than it is in another

Better point is Why is NCSoft doing the same thing for box sales of GW2.  This isn't just about the EVIL Funcom trying to milk the Brits out of cash.  It has wider implications.

Better point is Why is NCSoft doing the same thing for box sales of GW2.  This isn't just about the EVIL Funcom trying to milk the Brits out of cash.  It has wider implications.

I would honestly like to know myself, but I have no clue as to why that is? Maybe a failing econ , government , pound ect? No clue

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

From what I have played and experienced, the game Isn't even worth the box price.

The animations are shoddy, the quests (save for a few) are extremely monotonous, and one feels like a bystander during the cutscenes with your character because they never speak or offer anything to the conversations.

In my opinion this will be F2P within 4 months, I doubt it will even get to the 6 month mark, and then there will be hell to pay from the people who have subscribed or worse; bought the lifetime subcription.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

So a one time sale makes a better point than a continous milking through a subscription. Get of your pink TSW horse and smell the shit. 

Most people ragging on Anet have choosen to ignore the fact that brits could get a cheaper box through other means like play.com. 

I would honestly like to know myself, but I have no clue as to why that is? Maybe a failing econ , government , pound ect? No clue

NCSoft's excuse was the cost of shipping the game boxes to EU and GB retailers is the reason for the higher price. I don't buy it but that was their excuse.

Which still doesn't excuse Funcom's higher subscription costs from GB. Since you don't need to ship subscriptions.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

tsw seems like another swtor. The journey to end game will be fun then ppl will start noticing its shortcoming and leave in droves.

Originally posted by Kreedz

From what I have played and experienced, the game Isn't even worth the box price.

The animations are shoddy, the quests (save for a few) are extremely monotonous, and one feels like a bystander during the cutscenes with your character because they never speak or offer anything to the conversations.

In my opinion this will be F2P within 4 months, I doubt it will even get to the 6 month mark, and then there will be hell to pay from the people who have subscribed or worse; bought the lifetime subcription.

Considering that many people like the game I don't see it going F2P for a very long time, but thats just my word vs yours.

I personaly like the game it gets away from your cookie cutter bs thats already out there and offers something different, so players like myself will stick to it because of what it offers. Take eve for example, alot of people don't like it at all but there's alot of people that do, it's stil doing well because it's a niche game, TSW is going to be a niche game as well, so saying it will go F2P in four months, is that based on not achieving WoW Numbers? Alot of mmo,s don't need a shit ton of people to be successful, look at everquest, it recently went F2P after what 12 years LOL and I was a sub player for that time and always had friends to group with.

Just because a number of mmos went F2P doesn't mean this one will.

NCSoft's excuse was the cost of shipping the game boxes to EU and GB retailers is the reason for the higher price. I don't buy it but that was their excuse.

Which still doesn't excuse Funcom's higher subscription costs from GB. Since you don't need to ship subscriptions.

this may seem critical , so no offence, do you work for those companies? Because if you don't then you really don't know if it's an excuse or not, plus shipping anything now in todays age is becoming very very exspensive which means the cost of the items in question are going to go up and up , that goes for everything.

Just ask them how much they pay for a loaf of bread and convert it to our dollar or any grocery item and you'll see.

this may seem critical , so no offence, do you work for those companies? Because if you don't then you really don't know if it's an excuse or not, plus shipping anything now in todays age is becoming very very exspensive which means the cost of the items in question are going to go up and up , that goes for everything.

Just ask them how much they pay for a loaf of bread and convert it to our dollar or any grocery item and you'll see.

You can google this stuff, you know.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/ncsoft-explains-na-and-eu-collectors-edition-price-difference/

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Aeolrone.

where did you get that from? I was backing eve up ya nutcase LOL!

Yeah I agree with you for sure! But games like EQ and vangaurd are pretty good sandbox games too, and yes EQ is a sandbox! don't say otherwise or solesk ro will burn your ass hahaha

EQ was a sandbox 10 years ago. From GoD on it's been full Themepark. The last 4 or 5 expac's have been very heavy linear.

Originally posted by kiiix

OFF-TOPIC

Where do you get this info if i might ask? Both Runescape, Maple Story and Perfect World International have a much higher player base than aion could ever dream of having.

I was thinking the same thing. And DDO was never successful even if you stretch the meaning to include it in MMOs.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Teilo

Why so expensive in the UK?

(Please don't try the VAT excuse: every sub charges that.)

I like the game, but not that much.

I'm not paying that.

That is pretty steep and I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense compared to other UK prices for MMO subs. Maybe they are trying to establish some exclusive MMO brand lol.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Hopefully someone just made a mistake which they'll rectify pretty soon. If not, they can probably kiss their EU subscriber base goodbye. These days, few people can justify paying that much every month for a game.

You can google this stuff, you know.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/ncsoft-explains-na-and-eu-collectors-edition-price-difference/

Thats what I said in my previous post LOL

Anyways it's pretty easy to put this stuff on speculation , maybe it's an error but i don't think so.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yes its a bit expensive in the UK and that does suck donkey balls...

but.. and this is a big but... the game is probally the best themepark game to be released for a bloody long time and there does not look to be anything better coming along soon.. so yes it might be a tad expensive but its well worth it..

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Stop buying sub-based games.  That solves your problem right there.

lol. Almost comical how simple-minded this statement is.

This discussion has been closed.