Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

£12.99 a month? Pre-order cancelled.

167891012»

Comments

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Ok i think i got this right

11.49 GBP = 105.91 DKK

105.91 DKK = 11.49 GBP

Seems they are useing Kroner to the pound base rate,so according to that they have dropped it by 1.50 per sub from the original price.

p>
  • andreawalesandreawales Member Posts: 44

I agree with the OP , I would pay up to £9.99 monthly sub , this is just greed.. I really want to play it but I'll wait till they get a grip of themselves and price it fairly.

• Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by jdnyc

That is a lot - it's over $20 US converted.

Meh! Skip a candy bar or a soda. It's about  .66 cents US per day.   

If they did this in the US people would have a conniption fit. They should change it. Only going to hurt their own sales. Doesn't make any sense.

It's their cost for having to license out to others over seas. It sucks, but otherwise they have to absorb more cost which they don't have to do state side.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Who cares how much its going to cost, when you can budget and get a discount on your other entertainment fields such as;

Music: Spotify £10 a month for unlimited music, that you dont have to download, nor do you have to keep a back up for, and for the price of buying 2/3rds of a single album from the store, your getting a huge saving right here surely ?

Movies: Netflix, Lovefilm, Blockbusters, £10-15 a month for unlimited movies per month. For the price of just one film, you get a whole months viewing for this price. Huge saving there, and also you dont need to keep back ups on a hard drive etc. Another way to save a pile.

Games: Steam - Buy only Steam games when they are on a deal! Every day steam does a daily deal and they do weekend deals, and seasonal deals as well. Yes you have to download, but think of the benefits of actually owning the games forever, and not finding out 2 years later you want to go back to play one of your pc games, but realise you sold it in second hand shop for pennies ! Also a major benefit of steam is you dont need to patch any game, steam does it for you :D

Another game avenue for cheap ; Onlive pc app.  for £6.99 a month you get access to 200 pc games without downloading or having to back up on a hard drive :) Not only can you access 200 budget games a month for just £7, you can also buy 3 or 5 day passes to many new release titles, just spend £3.99 or £5.99, and you have 3 or 5 days to complete the game. You dont have to buy full access to the games if you can complete them in a few days. If you dont complete in 5 days, buy another 3 day pass. Saving you money all the way.  Benefits of onlive :)

Now think, if your getting all your games, movies, and music at those measly prices, why should you complain about adding a mmo subscription of £12.99 for ful access to a mmo game that gets content upgrades for the monthly sub. Surely £4 more for this mmo is not that much ? Also its The secret world mmo ! To me its worth that little extra surely ?? If you enjoy the game from what youve seen, surely you wouldnt gripe about the £4 more a month ??

How much does it cost a month for all your entertainment  if you use all the above services to the max ?

£10 music + £10 Lovefilm + £5-30 Steam games ( youll get many for £30 if you stick with steam deals  + £7 Onlive Playpass to 200 games (You also get 30% discount from your other purchases on onlive if you pay this £7 a month) + 3x 5 day passes to full price games = £18, + £12.99 for secret world sub.

Total cost per month for roughly 252 hours of full entertainment per month (for full time workers with no life lol) = £52.99-£77.99 a month ? 

Think about it;

1) How many cd albums or mp3 downloadable albums can you buy for £77.99 a month = just 6 or 7 full albums (11 hours of entertainment per month only !!

2) How many full price dvd movies can you buy for £77.99 = 6 or 7 full dvds too roughly = (11 hours of entertainment per month only !!

3) How many pc games can you get with £77.99 a month = 3-5 games per month (60-100+ hours of entertainment)

By using the above avenues for entertainment, you can save a packet and get full on £744 hours of entertaiment for all avenues of entertainemnt , not just one form of it.

Conclusion;  For 24 hours access to an online mmo that is constantly updated, giving you 740+ hours of entertainment (on coffee and pie lol) if you wanted for what (£12.99-£8.99 every other mmo roughly), £4 a month more ? Is it really going to get you down if you budget on your other forms of entertainment too :)

If its still eating at you, maybe your  not enjoying The Secret World MMO ???

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Kooshdin

Who cares how much its going to cost, when you can budget and get a discount on your other entertainment fields such as;

Music: Spotify £10 a month for unlimited music, that you dont have to download, nor do you have to keep a back up for, and for the price of buying 2/3rds of a single album from the store, your getting a huge saving right here surely ?

Movies: Netflix, Lovefilm, Blockbusters, £10-15 a month for unlimited movies per month. For the price of just one film, you get a whole months viewing for this price. Huge saving there, and also you dont need to keep back ups on a hard drive etc. Another way to save a pile.

Games: Steam - Buy only Steam games when they are on a deal! Every day steam does a daily deal and they do weekend deals, and seasonal deals as well. Yes you have to download, but think of the benefits of actually owning the games forever, and not finding out 2 years later you want to go back to play one of your pc games, but realise you sold it in second hand shop for pennies ! Also a major benefit of steam is you dont need to patch any game, steam does it for you :D

Another game avenue for cheap ; Onlive pc app.  for £6.99 a month you get access to 200 pc games without downloading or having to back up on a hard drive :) Not only can you access 200 budget games a month for just £7, you can also buy 3 or 5 day passes to many new release titles, just spend £3.99 or £5.99, and you have 3 or 5 days to complete the game. You dont have to buy full access to the games if you can complete them in a few days. If you dont complete in 5 days, buy another 3 day pass. Saving you money all the way.  Benefits of onlive :)

Now think, if your getting all your games, movies, and music at those measly prices, why should you complain about adding a mmo subscription of £12.99 for ful access to a mmo game that gets content upgrades for the monthly sub. Surely £4 more for this mmo is not that much ? Also its The secret world mmo ! To me its worth that little extra surely ?? If you enjoy the game from what youve seen, surely you wouldnt gripe about the £4 more a month ??

How much does it cost a month for all your entertainment  if you use all the above services to the max ?

£10 music + £10 Lovefilm + £5-30 Steam games ( youll get many for £30 if you stick with steam deals  + £7 Onlive Playpass to 200 games (You also get 30% discount from your other purchases on onlive if you pay this £7 a month) + 3x 5 day passes to full price games = £18, + £12.99 for secret world sub.

Total cost per month for roughly 252 hours of full entertainment per month (for full time workers with no life lol) = £52.99-£77.99 a month ? 

Think about it;

1) How many cd albums or mp3 downloadable albums can you buy for £77.99 a month = just 6 or 7 full albums (11 hours of entertainment per month only !!

2) How many full price dvd movies can you buy for £77.99 = 6 or 7 full dvds too roughly = (11 hours of entertainment per month only !!

3) How many pc games can you get with £77.99 a month = 3-5 games per month (60-100+ hours of entertainment)

By using the above avenues for entertainment, you can save a packet and get full on £744 hours of entertaiment for all avenues of entertainemnt , not just one form of it.

Conclusion;  For 24 hours access to an online mmo that is constantly updated, giving you 740+ hours of entertainment (on coffee and pie lol) if you wanted for what (£12.99-£8.99 every other mmo roughly), £4 a month more ? Is it really going to get you down if you budget on your other forms of entertainment too :)

For a while I thought you were arguing against TSW, I mean if you can get 200+ games onlive for £6.99 why even bother playing an MMO at almost double that price?

Don't forget that in the UK you can also get the Cineworld Unlimited Cinema card for £15 per month, meaning you can go to the movies 100 times in a month if you feel like it.

Anyway the point of this thread still remains why is it more expensive in the UK? none of your conjecture answered that.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

can i have your stuff? lol

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

Tarib, Funcom's Senior Community Manager, on the TSW-Forums about 2 hours ago:

We were looking into the feedback about the subscription prices in UK£. Today we adjusted the monthly fee in UK£ down to 11.49 incl. VAT to make it more in line with the pricing in Euro. This has been changed on the website and also on the billing page today.

clicky

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by TheSedated

Tarib, Funcom's Senior Community Manager, on the TSW-Forums about 2 hours ago:

We were looking into the feedback about the subscription prices in UK£. Today we adjusted the monthly fee in UK£ down to 11.49 incl. VAT to make it more in line with the pricing in Euro. This has been changed on the website and also on the billing page today.

clicky

Already posted 2 pages back, but that still won't stop people from reading the OP, then replying without reading the rest of the discussion :/http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5087828#5087828

• antshock32antshock32 Member Posts: 41

i had Tsw on pre-order but after reading multiple sites and also this one ,It looks as if Tsw is more geared for solo play and works better tht way .I am looking for more staying power in a mmo right now so I guess ill just wait for Gw2 when ever that is and if they annouce Gw2 won't be out to next year then Ill think of p/u this title. After the Swtor debacle which was a great solo game great stories fun action but really not a mmo more of a co-op solo game ...thts not what I want from my next mmo....just my opinion .

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

they need to make as much cash as poss, this game ill go ftp at some point.

• highflyinghighflying Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by cinos
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Originally posted by cinos
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Actually I am impressed they did something about it, I didnt think they would so qudos to them.  Is the price still fair I don't know but it is sure as hell is better.

Honestly though, this just confirms that the original price was not a mistake and instead intended. :/

Still waiting on the explanation as to why they feel their game is worth more per month than any other mmo in the UK.

As far as I am aware Age of Conan was this price monthly, it got dropped later to 9.99 or 10.99.  Funcom have never been on the cheap end of things, however I am interested to see how this will affect the community in a positive way aka keeping the riff raff out ;) (runs away).

...and look how AoC turned out. :p

Jkjk.

Though, for some reason Funcom seem to think that the games they make are worth more than any other mmo developed. Without giving out suitable reasons as to why they think they can get away with charging more then the norm, this 'riff raff' is going to a be rather large group of people me thinks.

Whilst it's still not a lot of money, the pricepoint still demands a reason as to why it's more expensive. What will people get from this mmo that is worth that extra money I wonder?

It's already bad enough that Funcom are triple dipping with the box price, sub and cash shop. Now they are even charging above the average in sub, but leaving the americans out of the price hike. Bizarre.

Well they're not "getting away" with anything, you've had several chances to play the game for free before its release, so if you think its worth it, you buy it, otherwise you don't.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

[snip]

There is no justification for subscription fees anymore. Server and bandwith costs are a fraction of what they used to be 10 years ago and quite frankly the usual, once every 3-4 month update patch that has maybe an instance, a raid or a few more quests does not justify the $60 cost in subscriptions. That's a price of a whole new game right there.

Subscriptions are a ripoff and only serve to reward lazy development practices. Think about it, Funcom sold you a whole game for $50 and 4 months later sold you a raid and a few quests for $60 ($15x4 months).

Everyone just needs to be reminded of WoW. They had the long standing practice of forcing people to stay online as fricken long as humanly possible to do anything worth while in game. Remember dailies for rep, extremely long Raids that take a week to finish, repetative dungeon running to earn enough currency to get the gear you need?  Anyone remember that? Yeah, that's what this guy is talking about. Abusive behavior by the company execs. Now they are blatant about their greed (D3) because they know there are people stupid enough to buy into their game designs and claim "it's okay because it's blizzard". the RMAH is just the new subscription fee.

Arenenat already proven to the world that subs are not necessary and are greed driven. the only people on board with the subs are people who aren't paying attention.

So your saying Arena proved with GW1 how MMO's don't need subs? If thats a success ur no thanks. Remember GW2 is not out yet and it will have a cash shop. No free content added tyou will pay for anything new added Some of us prefer games that don't nickle and dime us for extra packs, or verey other little thing that makes the game enjoyable, and still would like free content patched in. Subs are still very much alive. the delusional one are the people that think FTP is actually free in anyway but bare bones.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by raistlinm
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by jdnyc

That is a lot - it's over $20 US converted.

Meh! Skip a candy bar or a soda. It's about  .66 cents US per day.   

I'd agree with this line of reasoning only after seeing how us americans reacted to a sub game that charged us 20 bucks a month, my guess is it wouldn't sit too well here.

if it was a good game I'd pay it. and no I'm not rich. i do however generally play only one MMO really at a time. Don't have time to play more then one mmo along with a few single players games bow and then.

Hell if I take a out to a movie, or to dinner thats more then $20 and certainly doesn't give me a month of entertainment.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by Kooshdin

Think about it;

For a while I thought you were arguing against TSW, I mean if you can get 200+ games onlive for £6.99 why even bother playing an MMO at almost double that price?

Don't forget that in the UK you can also get the Cineworld Unlimited Cinema card for £15 per month, meaning you can go to the movies 100 times in a month if you feel like it.

Anyway the point of this thread still remains why is it more expensive in the UK? none of your conjecture answered that.

No No No ! Im all for Secret world mmo. As for playing 200 onlive games for £6.99, trhis is for single player gaming and some multiplayer, but for the £6.99 a month, you dont get any mmos you see. You pay £6.99 for the onlive games if you like also single player and small multiplayer games as well as the mmo.  I was just giving entertainment options for the original poster, that shows you can save money, even if secret world is £12.99 using any combination of the services I listed. Whats £4 more per month, if for my single player games I can play any of 200 games for only £6.99 a month ? Think of how much it would cost to play any of those 200 games. There is ways to make £12.99 a smaller figure, by budgeting more on your other entertainment options.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Teilo

Why so expensive in the UK?

(Please don't try the VAT excuse: every sub charges that.)

I like the game, but not that much.

I'm not paying that.

I would guess that the demand in the US has ramped up the price of games over there to a point where they feel they can't go any higher.  I would also guess that they don't feel people would pay more than the average $15 a month subs.  So they are instead increasing the prices over here.  The eurozone to match the US and then the UK  to match that.  Basically they're are charging this much because they think they can.

This discussion has been closed.