Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

£12.99 a month? Pre-order cancelled.

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Ashen_X
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Keep in mind that the US sum includes sales tax and the US one does not.

Typical American, thinks the USA is the only country in the world. image

Well I was actually thinking of trying this game out if the launch wasn't a typical Funcom disaster, but now I think I'll pass as I refuse to pay that much for a game sub on general principle.

Typical individual from Minsk, incapable of reading a map.

Not a problem though. I will provide you with your first geography lesson:

The Netherlands, Lord.Bachus' listed home, is not a part of the United States.

It was a joke. Lord Bacchus clearly made a typo (wrote twice US instead of UK and US) and he made fun of it. But now the joke is on you lol.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Kreedz

From what I have played and experienced, the game Isn't even worth the box price.

The animations are shoddy, the quests (save for a few) are extremely monotonous, and one feels like a bystander during the cutscenes with your character because they never speak or offer anything to the conversations.

In my opinion this will be F2P within 4 months, I doubt it will even get to the 6 month mark, and then there will be hell to pay from the people who have subscribed or worse; bought the lifetime subcription.

Who the h cares if you like the game or not? yeech, why do people feel compelled to derail threads to input their meaningless, off topic likes and dislikes...this thread has already been derailed by the which pay model is best.

the dang topic is...or i should say...was....about why funcom is charging more for UK subs

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Silvermink
    Originally posted by Aeolrone.

where did you get that from? I was backing eve up ya nutcase LOL!

Yeah I agree with you for sure! But games like EQ and vangaurd are pretty good sandbox games too, and yes EQ is a sandbox! don't say otherwise or solesk ro will burn your ass hahaha

EQ was a sandbox 10 years ago. From GoD on it's been full Themepark. The last 4 or 5 expac's have been very heavy linear.

Originally posted by kiiix
    Regardless this isn't about GW2.  Aion is the second largest MMORPG in the world.  It failed in the west because of the culture gap between playstyles.  DDO was actually successful when it went F2P.  Many questioned why Turbine would convert its two properties, but the answer was clear.  They needed new blood to get injected into the game.

OFF-TOPIC

Where do you get this info if i might ask? Both Runescape, Maple Story and Perfect World International have a much higher player base than aion could ever dream of having.

I was thinking the same thing. And DDO was never successful even if you stretch the meaning to include it in MMOs.

Thats a weird comment to make that EQ was a sandbox 10 years ago, it still is! I know I am playing it LOL

Some of the expacs are linear, but meh just don't care as long as your having fun.

Bottom line , EQ is STILL a sandbox!

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by MoonBeans

a very pricey subs fee.  a cash shop.  and some of the most hideous looking character models in MMO history.  this game surely has the secret for success!

With close-minded misers such as yourself out of the games population, it almost certain is the secret for success! :)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Bottom line , EQ is STILL a sandbox!

EQ sandbox.... da fak ? 0_o

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Maitrader
    Originally posted by MoonBeans

a very pricey subs fee.  a cash shop.  and some of the most hideous looking character models in MMO history.  this game surely has the secret for success!

With close-minded misers such as yourself out of the games population, it almost certain is the secret for success! :)

Yea because less people playing it is always a good thing.  Maybe for the anti social who loves mmos.  Ironic?  Yea that is indeed. 

For the company and the game itself not so much.  I always chuckle when I see players say stuff like, " Fine.  See ya.  Dont let the door hit you on the way out."   Yea because thats good for the company you support.  image

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

from what i played of TSW, the price they are asking is too much regardless if its NA or UK. while i do not agree with the price they want the UK to pay.  seems like a gouge to me, as there is no honest reason for the increased price. even claiming currancy conversion is BS. as a digital sold game shouldnt be effected by currencys. as a person in the UK would not be buying it at USD but euro/pound/mark/frank...ect. there is no reason for them to expect players in another country to pay with usd over their own local currency.

have they given any actually truthful honest reason for the increased price?? iv seen replies of  VAT being the reason or currency conversion.. but both are BS. as the VAT should be in the base price already, from what i understand of how that is calculated.

seems stupid to charge that like twice or whatseems like twice.  as thousands of other games do not charge like they are. 

i could see the currency being the issue, IF other games charged it as well. but none do.. so really what is it that EVE and WoW are doing that is different to TSW?? that they do not charge that same increased price?? both are sub with cash shop... seems  messed up to me frankly.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The price PCM is the highest I have ever seen a company charge, however you can pay the USD version which will equal about 9/10 quid.  Even if they nurf that I will source time cards from america through family.

If you want to play the game people there are ways around.  I am still not sure about this whole thing and the game even.

I will say this for free, I'd rather pay and play this than play GW2 dunno why just didnt gel with GW2.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

I find it funny how GW2 does this with the box price but that is ok because GW2 is such the golden boy on these forums. If you posted that on the GW2 forums you would instantly be attacked and shot down as someone that is a hater, go figure.........

Yeah GW2 does this on the GW2 website, but you can go to ANY OTHER RETAILER online and order the GW2 box for a much more reasonable price. £34.99 on amazon and play.com. Gamestop.co.uk even have the collectors edition for £109.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I find it funny how GW2 does this with the box price but that is ok because GW2 is such the golden boy on these forums. If you posted that on the GW2 forums you would instantly be attacked and shot down as someone that is a hater, go figure.........

Yeah GW2 does this on the GW2 website, but you can go to ANY OTHER RETAILER online and order the GW2 box for a much more reasonable price. £34.99 on amazon and play.com. Gamestop.co.uk even have the collectors edition for £109.

Also, GW2 is a one-off payment. Once you've bought the thing therre is no further requirement to pay anything. You can log in as and when you like without the nagging feeling that you haven't got your money's worth that month. Games have to really stand out from the crowd to get away with a subscription based model these days.

Originally posted by korat102

Also, GW2 is a one-off payment. Once you've bought the thing therre is no further requirement to pay anything. You can log in as and when you like without the nagging feeling that you haven't got your money's worth that month. Games have to really stand out from the crowd to get away with a subscription based model these days.

Lets hope so, because right now the Cash shop is up in the air, no one really knows what Arena net is going to throw in there. Even if you buy the game , there's still the cash shop and my guess is it might be alittle pricey, and if there's a need to go into the shop to buy something for some aspec of the game then that " One off payment thing " is'nt true at all.

Only time will tell

[mod edit]
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by jdnyc

That is a lot - it's over $20 US converted.

Meh! Skip a candy bar or a soda. It's about  .66 cents US per day.   

Bad idea. If you start to allow this kind of things, and it works, other companies will think they can do the same. Tolerance for this kind of things has to stop before it's too late and suddenly, we all pay over $20 for a month in all our games.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

From my point of view, it's all academic. I'm very close to being burned out on MMO's. Been playing them far too long. At the moment I'm not playing any MMO at all. Have two lifetime accounts, one of the games I haven't logged in to for many months, the other I stopped playing a couple of weeks ago through boredom. The other MMO's that I have accounts on I haven't even looked at for ages. I'm holding out for GW2 but I fully expect that to be my last MMO...unless of course someone comes up with something truly ground-breaking that interests me. 

I'm finding myself going back to single player games like Torchlight far more these days. I even thought about reinstalling D2 but can't quite face it at the moment... guess real life is taking a firmer hold...yikes!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    [mod edit]

It took 2-3 years for AoC to go F2P, all these "F2P in *" comments for every game that releases are getting tiresome.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by sindraod
    [mod edit]

Keep dreaming bud. No MMO has gone F2P in a month or two, what a silly statement.

• BHWolfBHWolf Member UncommonPosts: 10

Succinctly put, the issue is that Funcom has chosen a P2P model that charges more to those in the EU and then more still to those in the UK.

This issue is one of the longest lasting and largest threads on the TSW forums and, has included the same excuses in the form of suggestions and deviations from the basic issue as this thread.

Sometime ago a moderator on the official forums confirmed that this issue has been highlighted as an issue to Funcom; as of this time though Funcom has failed to make any response to the concerns expressed.

I find myself wondering that as TSW is a game that has a 'niche' appeal and this issue is deterring people who are undecided about the game, why Funcom chooses to fuel such large thread on its official forum by failing to explain why the company does not feel that it has a discriminatory pricing plan.

Just to bring this thread back to the main point I will copy/paste my pervious post from last night:

Let me lay it out for you:

Regular MMO Price Per Month - USA $14.99 / UK £8.99

The Secret World Price Per Month - USA $14.99 / UK £12.99

Have you worked it out yet? Let me turn it around the other way and see if you would think it's a problem then:

The Secret World Reversed to shaft the USA Price Per Month - $20.22 / UK £8.99

Do you get it yet?

I'd even considering getting the game if funcom came out and said "sorry guys we fucked up, it was a big mistake, the sub will be priced at £8.99 as per industry standard for the UK"

• BearprobeBearprobe Member Posts: 12

Meh!

I pay £12.99 at McDonalds ones a week living in Sweden. No big deal. Get jobs! :)

• TillboTillbo Member UncommonPosts: 7

£12..99 is just too much...

Not only is it the most expensive MMO in the UK by quite a margin Funcom are also trying squeeze more money from the cash shop!

It seems to me that this game is geared towards F2P and they are trying to squeeze as much money out of the loyal fans as they can before the inevitable swtich.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Just to bring this thread back to the main point I will copy/paste my pervious post from last night:

Let me lay it out for you:

The Secret World Price Per Month - USA $14.99 / UK £12.99

Have you worked it out yet? Let me turn it around the other way and see if you would think it's a problem then:

The Secret World Reversed to shaft the USA Price Per Month - $20.22 / UK £8.99

Do you get it yet?

I'd even considering getting the game if funcom came out and said "sorry guys we fucked up, it was a big mistake, the sub will be priced at £8.99 as per industry standard for the UK"

Between the CS and the high fee - I will not play.

Rift's fee can be as little as $7.00 a month - so I don't see how Funcom comes off trying to charge this much. Only time will tell how many subs it gets.

• thrasher1991thrasher1991 Member Posts: 9

What i dont understand is why do we have to pay 60 euros for the boxed game(any game really not just TSW) that comes with 1 free month and then pay X amount of money monthly. with the 60 eu box u can pay 4 months of fucking game time with prepaid gamecards. so what the fuck is all this bullshit, i now they need to make money, but make it fair yo. give at least 2 months or 3 if ur really feeling it. Make our money feel like its something  

Originally posted by Bearprobe

Meh!

I pay £12.99 at McDonalds ones a week living in Sweden. No big deal. Get jobs! :)

I'd rather throw money out my car window than eat at McDonalds.

The point is that the sub is more expensive than any other game, TSW is not of a higher quality than other games nor does it offer anything to justify paying an extra £4.

If I liked McDonalds I could play any other MMO AND get McDonalds for dinner, winner winner killer dinner.

• BHWolfBHWolf Member UncommonPosts: 10

This has just appeared on the official forum:

We were looking into the feedback about the subscription prices in UK£. Today we adjusted the monthly fee in UK£ down to 11.49 incl. VAT to make it more in line with the pricing in Euro. This has been changed on the website and also on the billing page today.

I do note the use of language ' ... to make it more in line with the pricing in Euro.' Curious that he did not express this as '... in line with  ...' or even the ' .. same as ... '. Maybe this is an indication of what the poster perceived  of Funcom's pricing policy? Sometimes aspects of life will always remain a mystery though.

• droppdropp Member UncommonPosts: 93

they lowered the price to £11.49 (http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showpost.php?p=871954&postcount=3719), but it's still higher than it should be. I also noticed that the sub prices in euro is 14.99, which is also annoying.

still not sure if I should get this game or not (not just because of the sub prices). hmph.

This discussion has been closed.