Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was SUPER excited until....

Comments

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Entinerint Not all are PC players, but most if not all of them will expect the game to play like TES.

Play like eldar scrolls? each game plays differently, so please explain how any game "plays like eldar scrolls"?
    daggerfall doesnt play like morrowind, morrowind doesnt play like oblvion, oblivion doesnt play like skyrim, but i suppose whiny ESO haters are gonna whine no matter what, after all, they alrady decideed they were gonna hate the game as soon as it was announced, so really who gives a crap about them.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

Red and yellow are contradicting arguments.  It is more likely that "having to think" as a requirement (which it isn't btw) is much less common than a gamer with good reflexes.  It would most likely put players on a more level playing field.

Cool-down combat is all about memorization.  Once you have things memorized (cool-down timers, rotation, etc.), the game is the same every time.  Trust me, I've been there.  It gets old, rote and stale really fast.

Twitch-combat is all about adaptation, because nothing is ever certain, so you have to constantly be on your toes for the changes in a battle, accounting for all possibilites.

That is more exciting, more engaging and ultimately will make people want to play more, to become better at the game.

Also, we're not talking about what MMOs are missing or what makes them good.  I could care less about any other MMORPG.  We're talking about the fact the The Elder Scrolls MMORPG is missing many elements (combat being the most egregious) that make the Elder Scrolls series unique and attractive compared to all the other poorly-designed, boring RPGs on the market.

You would think they would take the staples of the franchise and do their best to translate them to the MMO format.  The lore is not something that most TES fans are nearly as interested in as the gameplay.  The lore is pretty standard fantasy fair, you can find it anywhere.  But no other RPG plays like TES.  That's why it is game of the year and sells more copies than Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Witcher and any other RPG out there.

The devs of this game are blind if they think the lore alone will carry over TES fans.  They took the easy way out, because twitch combat is harder to balance.  It doesn't look like TES, it doesn't feel like TES and it doesn't play like TES.  So why is it being labeled as TES?

Why not just call it what it is: DAOC2?

I can tell you've never been good at any MMO. If you think pvp in mmo at high levels is just rotations you either haven't played them or just were not good. For example and this is not a good one it's just one that most will identify with. In World of Warcraft you have things like pummel/kick etc to interrupt casts, good casters juke these abilities and are free to cast for 10 seconds when the abilities are off cooldown. Or another example is Ice Block which makes you immune to damage and Crowd control and freezes you into a block not allowing you to do anything. If the enemy is predictable with his big burst abilities then the caster will use the ice block ability. There is so much micro managing what your opponents big abilities they have up and what's down that it makes even a small mistake on using an ability too early to cost a game.

FPS style combat is all about aiming and twitch skills, Sure that's cool but fusing the 2 together make for a much better game. The problem is where fps people are too used to just clicking the mouse button, and mmo people like many different abilities for different situations.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

In my opinion they are RUINING there whole company name by using a succesfull titel to create a mmo to milk some money out of players.  It has the WoWish combat  the gfx seem more like Aion gfx then actually one of their own titles and its just not a game you could give The Elder Scrolls name.

Skyrim went viral and they gained LOADS of money,  They now want more of where that came from and the sad part is that gamers will once again fall for it and in the end companies will never learn and all these shitty titles will keep coming since games will buy them.

But thats just my opinion ofcourse..  Ill just wait for the OMG stole my money GAME IS SHIIIIT comments when the game went live.

Originally posted by Onigod

In my opinion they are RUINING there whole company name by using a succesfull titel to create a mmo to milk some money out of players.  It has the WoWish combat  the gfx seem more like Aion gfx then actually one of their own titles and its just not a game you could give The Elder Scrolls name.

Exactly what does ES look like? since, you know, EVERY single game has looked differently, nice try though.

please, keep on hating a game youve never played, so the rest of us never have to put up with you if we play it.

And how dare a company release a game thats different from their other ones! every game they make should be the exaxct same! and screw all teh stupid people that enjoy games you dont like too.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Exactly what does ES look like? since, you know, EVERY single game has looked differently, nice try though.

please, keep on hating a game youve never played, so the rest of us never have to put up with you if we play it.

And how dare a company release a game thats different from their other ones! every game they make should be the exaxct same! and screw all teh stupid people that enjoy games you dont like too.

Yes if you use the SAME title it should have similar things. you dont just create a standard mmo clone out of The Elder Scrolls title.

You dont just use Sonic as the new character in the latest super mario game.   Im not saying it should be EXACT the same but you are most likely missing one some things about this game yet still commenting. i said it was just my saying but this is ofcourse mmorpg.com someone does not simply state his own opinion without being attacked by what i like to call the drama seekers.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by KingGator If you want to play an fps game then go play one, this is an mmorpg, which should play like one. I am starting to feel like this game is going to have some success.  It might be just because if it is good the months of irrational hate threads here are going to be worth the price of admission to borrow a  turn of phrase. :)

This post is quiet amusing, i always love people that manage to turn you up side down with such an ease and assurance.

The only irrational here is you. People that criticize the little we know of this game, base it on all what we know about this new game and what made TES what it is now, and the comparison simply have no match, it's like a contradiction of each other. I would understand a kid can't see it, but someone older, are you a Zenimax guy, or payed by them, no honestly? you really sound like one throwing propaganda here. Not to talk about the fact fps type of combat is probably very welcome for usual TES fan, and I probably don't need to explain why, is it? So coming here to give such a negative (not to say retarded because pure denial really isn't going to give you any support) opinion of one of the most positive aspect of the TES serie is not very smart honestly, i don't think you'll make a lot of friends here.

For some reason i try to force myself to not even read anything more about this game, but well, you manage to get a quick response from me, hope you enjoy...

Honestly, you know what you look like to me, you look like a guy that is payed to turn the player base upside down, repel the fan and entice a totally new crowd. Man you will have a ton of job if this is what you and Zenimax is aiming for, i wish you a lot of luck, you'll need it.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I got on here and saw that the combat is not twitch based, FPS style right and left mouse click.

You guys making this game just royally f'ed up. I would never buy this game without the FPS style combat. You are screwing up, please change it NOW!

Could not agree more.  They could keep everything else the way it is, but this is a deal-breaker.

I disagree, everyone knows that TES combat is the worst element of their games.  I love how they are doing the 2 weapon skills, 3 class skills and 1 elite skill in a hotbar based GW2'ish style actiony style combat. 

thats only 6 skills, compared the the endless possibilities of the GW2 system, thats near to nothing. In guildwars 2 every class has atleast 20 skills available at any time... 

Only the elementalist has that amount of skills with the different attunments every other class only has your 2 weapon sets at a time, and they can't be changed in combat.

nope.

2 x weapon sets 10 skills - 6 utility abilities - most classes have the F1 - F5 bound (thieves have there pickpocket / ability), engineers have there toolpacks etc... there is always at least 16 abilities on a profession at any given time some classes have more due to profession based skills

Originally posted by warmaster670

Yes if you use the SAME title it should have similar things. you dont just create a standard mmo clone out of The Elder Scrolls title.

You dont just use Sonic as the new character in the latest super mario game.   Im not saying it should be EXACT the same but you are most likely missing one some things about this game yet still commenting. i said it was just my saying but this is ofcourse mmorpg.com someone does not simply state his own opinion without being attacked by what i like to call the drama seekers.

So bascially what your saying, since you completely ignored it, was your "doesnt loomk like ES" point was BS.

AS for your "i said it was just my saying" no, you didn't, you edited that in after I made my post, and its irrelevant anyway, saying its just your opinion doesnt magically prevent other people from calling you on it.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Darrgen

Red and yellow are contradicting arguments.  It is more likely that "having to think" as a requirement (which it isn't btw) is much less common than a gamer with good reflexes.  It would most likely put players on a more level playing field.

Cool-down combat is all about memorization.  Once you have things memorized (cool-down timers, rotation, etc.), the game is the same every time.  Trust me, I've been there.  It gets old, rote and stale really fast.

Twitch-combat is all about adaptation, because nothing is ever certain, so you have to constantly be on your toes for the changes in a battle, accounting for all possibilites.

That is more exciting, more engaging and ultimately will make people want to play more, to become better at the game.

Also, we're not talking about what MMOs are missing or what makes them good.  I could care less about any other MMORPG.  We're talking about the fact the The Elder Scrolls MMORPG is missing many elements (combat being the most egregious) that make the Elder Scrolls series unique and attractive compared to all the other poorly-designed, boring RPGs on the market.

You would think they would take the staples of the franchise and do their best to translate them to the MMO format.  The lore is not something that most TES fans are nearly as interested in as the gameplay.  The lore is pretty standard fantasy fair, you can find it anywhere.  But no other RPG plays like TES.  That's why it is game of the year and sells more copies than Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Witcher and any other RPG out there.

The devs of this game are blind if they think the lore alone will carry over TES fans.  They took the easy way out, because twitch combat is harder to balance.  It doesn't look like TES, it doesn't feel like TES and it doesn't play like TES.  So why is it being labeled as TES?

Why not just call it what it is: DAOC2?

I can tell you've never been good at any MMO. If you think pvp in mmo at high levels is just rotations you either haven't played them or just were not good. For example and this is not a good one it's just one that most will identify with. In World of Warcraft you have things like pummel/kick etc to interrupt casts, good casters juke these abilities and are free to cast for 10 seconds when the abilities are off cooldown. Or another example is Ice Block which makes you immune to damage and Crowd control and freezes you into a block not allowing you to do anything. If the enemy is predictable with his big burst abilities then the caster will use the ice block ability. There is so much micro managing what your opponents big abilities they have up and what's down that it makes even a small mistake on using an ability too early to cost a game.

FPS style combat is all about aiming and twitch skills, Sure that's cool but fusing the 2 together make for a much better game. The problem is where fps people are too used to just clicking the mouse button, and mmo people like many different abilities for different situations.

Yeah I'm the worst High Warlord in WoW...

I agree on your last point.  There is a way to make them both work, awesomely.  Darkfall is a great example of that.  ESO is not doing that, they are compromising both.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Hmm, I normally don't have a problem with traditional MMO combat, but gotta say it will seem totally off compared to the other Elder Scroll games, especially for people who have played all of them.

The traditional FPS / TPS view is really a central part of the series imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Why can't be have both? Have a hotbar with cooldowns, but be able to left click right click in between cooldowns.

If you think twitch based is unrealistic then you are downright stupid. Play oblivion on the hardest setting and go into the Arena. That is realtime combat, blocking, aiming, dodging, running, positioning for your next quick swing or power strike.

Hotbar makes for no skill its all about gear and level. I got better gear so I do 600 damage on this hotkey and you do 510. I have more health cause I got better armor so you can't win. woooohooooo...

Bring twitched base SKILL back into MMORPG's!

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Beermangler

So much hate, so little gameplay...

I have this miracle power where I am able to read a 20 page game informer preview and gather that the game is elder scrolls in IP only and will be a pile of crap. I do not need to step in it to figure it out.

Nah man, even if something looks and smells like a big pile of shit no matter how you look at it, you need touch it, swim in it and eat it, for at least a month before you are allowed to form anykind of opinion about it.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Why cant they just take Skyrim and make it Massive Multiplayer?

Seems the first step when creating a MMORPG of any kind is ti hose it up with something stupid.

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Seems the first step when creating a MMORPG of any kind is ti hose it up with something stupid.

Because they wrongly think it would be too much of a financial risk. 

And Matt Firor doesn't want to actually do any work on making some new, interesting, innovate MMO, he just wants to bring out his old DAOC design doc and rehash that.

I played DAOC for about a year and the RvRvR got very stale very quickly.

Nothing gives you more pride than a player-made faction kicking ass (a la Darkfall).  Fighting for some NPC gets real old. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Why can't be have both? Have a hotbar with cooldowns, but be able to left click right click in between cooldowns.

If you think twitch based is unrealistic then you are downright stupid. Play oblivion on the hardest setting and go into the Arena. That is realtime combat, blocking, aiming, dodging, running, positioning for your next quick swing or power strike.

Hotbar makes for no skill its all about gear and level. I got better gear so I do 600 damage on this hotkey and you do 510. I have more health cause I got better armor so you can't win. woooohooooo...

Twitch base skill has nevre been apart of MMO's.  None of the AAA MMO's ive played has ever used twitch as a means of player skill.  I believe you're talking about FPS so if that is what you want play a FPS.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

They are in essence.

Open World - Check

Open Ended character systems - Any character can use any weapon - Check

Combat with TES flair - Active Dodging/Blocking, evey class can stealth, limited skills - Check

Compass to guide you to P.O.I.'s - Check

In fact the only thing lacking from TESO that is similar (note I use the word similar instead of identical) to TES games is a housing system which I agree is a horible gaming decision as I really would love to see it implemented but to say TESO has nothing in common with a TES style game such as Skyrim is assanine.  In fact not only does it resemble Skyrim or other TES games but it adds upon and increases focus on the MMO portion of which the single player variants would be extremely lacking in.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

They are in essence.

Open World - Check

Combat with TES flair - Active Dodging/Blocking, evey class can stealth, limited skills - Check

Compass to guide you to P.O.I.'s - Check

In fact the only thing lacking from TESO that is similar (note I use the word similar instead of identical) to TES games is a housing system which I agree is a horible gaming decision as I really would love to see it implemented but to say TESO has nothing in common with a TES style game such as Skyrim is assanine.  In fact not only does it resemble Skyrim or other TES games but it adds upon and increases focus on the MMO portion of which the single player variants would be extremely lacking in.

Open World - No.  You can only go into territory your faction owns as well as the PvP zone of Cyrodiil, and not all of the parts of the continent are unlocked to save room for "expansion content."

Open Ended Character Systems - No.  Weapons having nothing to do with defining custom classes via skill progression.  If you've played WoW then you know how their weapon system will work: your to-hit ratio gets better with a weapon type the more you use it.

TES Style combat - No.  It doesn't have "TES flair," it has been compared to GW2 and Neverwinter only with less polish.  You don't aim your spells, arrows or weapon swings, you don't have to use the environment to your advantage.

Compass to guide you to POI's - Check, something almost every MMORPG has.

Any race being able to join any faction - No.

Viable First-Person view-point (with 3rd-person as a secondary option) - No.  You can't see your hands/arms in first-person and no effort is made for you to feel like you are your character so it is as immersive and viable as WoW first-person.

Player housing - No.

Imperials as a playable race - No.

You can kill anyone at any time for any reason and take evrything on their body - No.

A crime and punishement system to prevent that from being too easy a play-style - No.

Non-obvious quest sources - No.  According to E3 converage, quest-givers and quest areas glow when they have something for you, unlike all TES games where you have to talk to each NPC and find out if they have anything for you to do.

The ability to remain neutral in any conflict - No.

A gritty, dark-fantasy art-style - No.

TES lore - Barely.  The names are there, but the amount of retconning and butchering they're doing to get it to fit the DAOC design doc is mind-blowing.

Readable in-game books - Unknown.  It has been mentioned that there are books that offer quests and there is a place you can go to read lore books but nothing about books just being available in the world.

Minimalist unintrusive HUD - Check.  Except that there are apparently big on-screen red and green indicators for your targets (yes its tab-targeting) and we'll likely see numbers flying out of people when we hit them (without aiming) - why do people always bleed numbers in these games!?

As Todd Howard has said numerous times, TES is the way it is because of all its parts working together in a very specific way.  Every element of TES is important to the whole in order for it to be a TES game.  This is one of the reasons he appreciates but also regrets the "experiments" that were Battlespire and Redguard, the only two commercial and critical failures in the TES series.  They strayed from what made TES TES and they were put down for it.

You can't simply pick and choose TES features at random to love and hold on to.  Sure, you can adapt them to the MMO format, since none of them are really "new" to MMORPGs anyway, they just haven't all been done in the same game.

What we have here is a case of lazy, thoughtless devs making a lazy thoughtless game with a much-bloved IP and spitting in the faces of those fans who have helped make the IP so popular that it just demanded an MMO.  The potential for an amazing game was there.  I'm sure, by MMO standards it will be "fine" but by TES standards, it will be garbage.

Twitch base skill has nevre been apart of MMO's.  None of the AAA MMO's ive played has ever used twitch as a means of player skill.  I believe you're talking about FPS so if that is what you want play a FPS.

Meridian 59 was the first true MMO (before Ultima) and it was twitch-based.

They've never used twitch because it is harder to code and balance.  Not impossible, just harder.  Hell, tiny teams of devs with almost no money (read: Aventurine, StarVault) have managed it in an MMORPG so why can't 250 devs with hundreds of millions do the same?  Because they are lazy and cowardly, that's why.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Anyone that attests that EQ-style combat is what makes an MMO an MMO needs to have his right to give an opinion revoked.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Acidon

I don't have a problem with them going with the more standard MMO fare.  All of the lore is there.  I think it will be a fun romp being a MMORPG.

I think I'm going to install Morrowind again.. Liked that more than Oblivion, personally.  Enjoyed modding more with it as well.

I know, going off-topic.

for many of us 'lore' is on the bottom of the list of importance.

you could make the game checkers, install 'lore' and its still checkers. if I want a story I will read a book.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

that is hysterical!

because any character can use any weapon its 'open ended character system'?

This is better than a sitcom, its why I come here for the humor.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Meh, seems like another mmo focused on nothing more than combat anyway. While to that's not the most important thing in an rpg, i do prefer more action oriented. Why not just make a combination.

Instead of tab-tageting, hot-key only, make it FPS/TPS based with the 2 mouse buttons for te 2 basic attacks (something like slash and block) and use hotkey spells too. Maybe eve, pressing one of the keys would switch the 2 mouse button skills.

Having to press a hotkey doesn't mean it as to be tab-target.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Meh, seems like another mmo focused on nothing more than combat anyway. While to that's not the most important thing in an rpg, i do prefer more action oriented. Why not just make a combination.

Instead of tab-tageting, hot-key only, make it FPS/TPS based with the 2 mouse buttons for te 2 basic attacks (something like slash and block) and use hotkey spells too. Maybe eve, pressing one of the keys would switch the 2 mouse button skills.

"Instead of tab-tageting, hot-key only, make it FPS/TPS based with the 2 mouse buttons for te 2 basic attacks (something like slash and block) and use hotkey spells too. Maybe eve, pressing one of the keys would switch the 2 mouse button skills."

Love this part, i want twitch based combat because of skill... But don't ask me to use more than 2 abilities at any given time.. thats too hard.

Ill take tons of abilities (thus a large room for tactics and character planning) on top of tes or more fps "twitch" based combat please.

After all i can handle more than 2 abilities and like my games combat to have some depth.

I perfer more abilties over tews or fps style combat because thos most definatly have greater depth to combat.

As for thew DAOC2, if this be true then i could only be so happy.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jetrpg

"Instead of tab-tageting, hot-key only, make it FPS/TPS based with the 2 mouse buttons for te 2 basic attacks (something like slash and block) and use hotkey spells too. Maybe eve, pressing one of the keys would switch the 2 mouse button skills."

Love this part, i want twitch based combat because of skill... But don't ask me to use more than 2 abilities at any given time.. thats too hard.

Ill take tons of abilities (thus a large room for tactics and character planning) on top of tes or more fps "twitch" based combat please.

After all i can handle more than 2 abilities and like my games combat to have some depth.

I perfer more abilties over tews or fps style combat because thos most definatly have greater depth to combat.

darkfall.

so far everything that TES fans declare they want and all the features that zenimax says is to hard, not possible or we dont want exist in Darkfall currently. including fast FPS combat with a f8ck ton of control options

Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

darkfall.

so far everything that TES fans declare they want and all the features that zenimax says is to hard, not possible or we dont want exist in Darkfall currently. including fast FPS combat with a f8ck ton of control options

As a high warlord in WoW who has utterly mastered the mile-wide inch-deep rock-paper-scissors of WoW's PvP (although I haven't played during Cata) I can tell you that end-game Darkfall combat still eludes me.  It is so complex and deep I have a tough time wrapping my head around it sometimes. 

You actually have to train and practice, and work in tandem with others, whereas WoW (all the options, none of the limits) is all memorization.  Once you know how to counter something, it's all repetition.  But in Darkfall, and any game that combines twitch combat with abilities, is so much more dynamic, deep and rich.  The battles are different every time.  Whereas in WoW, it is the same thing over and over; you reach the end-game plateau and you just rinse-repeat.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by KingGator

If you want to play an fps game then go play one, this is an mmorpg, which should play like one. I am starting to feel like this game is going to have some success.  It might be just because if it is good the months of irrational hate threads here are going to be worth the price of admission to borrow a  turn of phrase. :)

It's exactly this kind of thinking that leads to zero creativety. 

I guess Skyrim is an FPS and not an RPG?  How about oblivion?  Morrowind?  Daggerfall?

Is Meridian 59 not an MMORPG?  Mortal online?  Darkfall?

MMORPG says NOTHING about how combat is resolved, only that it's a roleplaying game that is played online with lots of other people.