Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gems for gold and real money

1234568»

Comments

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by TalulaRose
    If I wanted to pay my little brother in gems to level my toon for me while I am out that would be ok?

Yes. That would be fine. If you want to send me your username and password, I'd be happy to do this for you as well.

Its ok, I know which room my brother sleeps in so I can get some sibling revenge and be satisfied.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Muntz

These discussions get all loopy. Cause I though Mary had the advantage because she actually played the game. I guess fun isn't an advantage to many. Now if Mary had to distastefully grind for gold then yes Bob may have the advantage unless he had to do something more distasteful to earn the money. 

That last part is pretty much the advantage. mary has to spend some time grinding, Bob doesn't. he has the time advantage. But both players CAN get the same items, just at different rates. Since all things cap out at some point, they'll be even before long no matter what.

If tis were a situation where gear mattered more, and Bob could buy a full set of top-end super epic gear the second he turned max level, and Mary had no ability to earn the same gear no matter how much effort was input, and for those months Bob was able to pwn Mary at everything with complete ease, it would be an unfair advantage.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by Volkon

It's really not that complicated. Gold is the primary currency in game that gives you access to the convenience items in the gem store. You acquire gold, have a few gold sinks in game, and at your leisure convert gold to gems to gain things like more bag slots or bank slots. Karma, dungeon tokens, crafting... these are more directed at getting higher quality "stuffs".

Can you see the difference?

LOL, I think you win that argument Atlan.

I don't see why so many people refuse to see that you can get an advantage by spending money in the cash shop.  I'm not saying it's a huge advantage, but if Bob spends money to get an awesome gear, and an essentially unlimited supply of siege blueprints, while Mary has to spend hours upon hours actually playing (shock) the game to do this, then yeah, that's an "advantage."

Granted, I would think Bob is kind of dumb because he basically paid money in order to not play a game that he is supposed to enjoy...but to each his own.

well its really lose of time trying to convience some guys ..!

i just know that in EVE worked, that Blizzard added it for their Diablo III, its a system which is working and for sure its killing the RMT, this is its focus, thats why all this argument is failed from its begging ..!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by uidCaustic

The only difference between this and every other game I've played is that now when I buy gold it's actually going to the company, instead of gold farmers.  People buy gold, a lot of people.  Saying that it's bad isn't going to stop it from happening... just shows bitterness due your lack of funds... if you could afford it, you would too.

Do you really think that the majority of us who can "afford to buy gold"  through illegal means lack so much self-respect that we would buy gold through illegal means?

(By illegal I refer to rules set by the company, I think though there may be a better word to use)

Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by Volkon

It's really not that complicated. Gold is the primary currency in game that gives you access to the convenience items in the gem store. You acquire gold, have a few gold sinks in game, and at your leisure convert gold to gems to gain things like more bag slots or bank slots. Karma, dungeon tokens, crafting... these are more directed at getting higher quality "stuffs".

Can you see the difference?

I don't see why so many people refuse to see that you can get an advantage by spending money in the cash shop.  I'm not saying it's a huge advantage, but if Bob spends money to get an awesome gear, and an essentially unlimited supply of siege blueprints, while Mary has to spend hours upon hours actually playing (shock) the game to do this, then yeah, that's an "advantage."

Granted, I would think Bob is kind of dumb because he basically paid money in order to not play a game that he is supposed to enjoy...but to each his own.

well its really lose of time trying to convience some guys ..!

i just know that in EVE worked, that Blizzard added it for their Diablo III, its a system which is working and for sure its killing the RMT, this is its focus, thats why all this argument is failed from its begging ..!

Which is funny, because I was under the impression that the real reason why people were against RMT from the start, was not because of money going to somewhere else except the game company, but because people did not want real life money to be able to affects things inside the game to the extent buying gold with real money would. That would mean that Diablo III and EVE built a defense against their own strawman.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Oh let's all be honest if I'm turning hard cold cash into a virtual currency in a video game I should probably re-think my life.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by loulaki

There is no connection between Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 "cash shop". Diablo 3 is P2W, it's very hard to find an item you actually want as a drop, it's a lot easier to get it from the Auction House (but expensive)

As it has been stated before in Guild Wars 2 the cash shop isn't P2W at all. It might give a short term advantage but nothing major or gaming breaking (like in Diablo 3). I don't know about EVE but comparing GW2 with D3 is silly.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Advantage, yes, although a temporary one.

You cannot buy power w/ the gem shop, and the best armor in the game isn't bought w/ gold. You can get pretty good armor from max lvl crafting, but again, the best armor is bought w/ dungeon tokens, pvp medals, WvW badges, or karma. None of which can be bought.

Anet have already pointed out that they have designed the system to basically offer an exchange of time played, for money. That's it. Some people have ran with this and stretched it far enough to imply that this is somehow a p2w system.

You can buy a slight advantage by throwing money at the game, sure. But not an advantage of power, an advantage of time (boosters) or convenience (bank golem, bag space, character slots, etc.). If what people are worried about is people buying too much money, you don't need the cash shop to do that. You will be deadly w/ your market hold on the supply of rare dyes, though. Or your massive army of boxes o' fun!

Originally posted by aesperus

Anet have already pointed out that they have designed the system to basically offer an exchange of time played, for money. That's it. (...)

The problem is that the "exchange of time played, for money" argument is not enough, because that's exactly what several P2W games do.  The real argument, which cannot be used in many p2w games, is that the time and convience you can buy which has an effect on the PvP is so small that a non-itemmaller can easily catch up.  The key being how long time it takes for a non-itemmaller to catch up.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Why are people even using "best items" as an argument in this thread. There are no best items in this game. Regardless of if you exchange gems for gold all end gear is equal in GW2. 

Being able to buy thousands of siegeweapons is meaningless unless you can actually use them and for that you need supply.  Even then you are not playing alone in WvW so the impact might be 0.01% on the overal battle. Is that truly an advantage?

The only place gems can have an influence on is the auctionhouse when looking at vanity items. You will not be able to corner the market on mats. Not with the global economy they have implented.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Why are people even using "best items" as an argument in this thread. There are no best items in this game. Regardless of if you exchange gems for gold all end gear is equal in GW2. 

Being able to buy thousands of siegeweapons is meaningless unless you can actually use them and for that you need supply.  Even then you are not playing alone in WvW so the impact might be 0.01% on the overal battle. Is that truly an advantage?

The only place gems can have an influence on is the auctionhouse when looking at vanity items. You will not be able to corner the market on mats. Not with the global economy they have implented.

exist "best gear" on GW2, but that best isnt equal to best stats but instead best cosmetic. 

about blueprints obvious gold will not make any diference on WvW, you can have 50 blueprints but if you dont have the supplie you dont do nothing. blueprints are very cheap anyone can buy them, excep siege golem that cost a ridiculous 1G just because have mobility

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Connmacart

If there is no best items in the game, that must mean all items are equal.

So essentially you are saying that a level 1 weapon is equal to a level 80 weapon.

As far as WvWvW. You would have an advantage with a never ending supply of money. You could upgrade all keeps and supply depots instantly. Plus as you say you would have a limitless supply of siege weapons.