Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox MMOs are not really what players want

1234568»

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I would LOVE to play a high quality sandbox game. Let me know when one is made!

Seriously, I think a lot of people would at least try it. I know I would.

The problem seems to be that now MMOs are just like regular video games. Everyone runs out to try the newest title and then 6 months later it's bargin bin material because everyone has moved on to the next released game. Hard to create a vitrual world without people in it...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Psychow

The problem seems to be that now MMOs are just like regular video games. Everyone runs out to try the newest title and then 6 months later it's bargin bin material because everyone has moved on to the next released game. Hard to create a vitrual world without people in it...

Good to see that some people seem to be getting it.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

http://www.therepopulation.com/

The Repopulation. Check it out, as far as Sandbox games go, this is what I want.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Phlacc

The Repopulation. Check it out, as far as Sandbox games go, this is what I want.

Already keeping an eye on it :)

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Phlacc

You waited over 8 years to make that your first post? O_o

Well, hopefully a lot of people with give the game a chance. I prefer to hear about success stories instead of "this game is crap" stories.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

EVE is a sandbox with full-loot PVP and it works, because it's not FFA. At least 25% of the "game world" is a largely safe zone. But because the "game world" in EVE is immense, the safe zone is big enough to accomodate a huge number of players. And a large % of EVE players are there primarily for the PVE and crafting. They never leave the safe zone.

EVE works because the game world is truly huge. There's something like 6000 star systems. If each one has just 3 asteroid belts on average, that's 18000 mining areas. If you want to just fly through every single system in EVE, you'll be travelling upwards of 25 hours non-stop.

So there's enough room for both fullscale PVP wars and PVE to exist in seperate areas, and neither of them feel "cramped". In the FFA PVP zone, player groups can lay claim to large areas of the game world and hold those areas for months and sometimes even years. That is unthinkable in any land-based MMO, because in any "normal" MMO, the world is simply too small to allow that.

Without the huge amount of industrial activity in the safe zone, the wars in the FFA zone would grind to a halt. PVP'ers want to blow stuff up, not spend hours gathering bits to build things. Carebears love spending hours gathering stuff and building things. It's a great symbiosis.

Perpetuum is trying to create EVE gameplay on a planetary surface, and their separation of FFA PVP and safe zones is effective, but having mechs as player avatars will only appeal to a limited audience, just as spaceship avatars in EVE are a turn-off for many.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by ozmono

*sigh*

Do we really need to have this conversation over and over?

I suppose likening it to capitalism is sort of a new approach even though I think your dead wrong about both. Eve is both a sandbox game that delivers alot of what people like and it embodies capitalism very well and it is loved and has been loved for many years.

People know what they want better than you know what they want.

Here's the problem, and it's a pretty serious one against sandbox MMO lovers.

Eve Online has had less sales in its 9 year history than SWTOR in its seven month history.  While Eve may have more lasting power and has a community theme park MMOs continuously put out stupidly high sales while no sandbox MMO can do that.  There are tones of sandbox games that can do it, but in truth that's because CASUALS play these.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by troublmaker
    Originally posted by ozmono

*sigh*

Do we really need to have this conversation over and over?

I suppose likening it to capitalism is sort of a new approach even though I think your dead wrong about both. Eve is both a sandbox game that delivers alot of what people like and it embodies capitalism very well and it is loved and has been loved for many years.

People know what they want better than you know what they want.

Here's the problem, and it's a pretty serious one against sandbox MMO lovers.

Eve Online has had less sales in its 9 year history than SWTOR in its seven month history.  While Eve may have more lasting power and has a community theme park MMOs continuously put out stupidly high sales while no sandbox MMO can do that.  There are tones of sandbox games that can do it, but in truth that's because CASUALS play these.

I would really love to see the profit margins of EvE vs SWTOR. I think its probably safe to say TOR wont be around in 9 years. No telling how long eve will continue going.

Even a game like FFXI who went strong for 7-8 years. with 500k subs.

I understand a buisnesses like a fast turn around on their invested money. But I dont understand why theres no long term buisness options.

If you asked me right now what would I rather have: the profit of EVE or profit of FFXI, or profit of TOR, after the all the games has been shut down and no longer generate revenue. I would say TOR would be the last on my list. I would take XI over EVE. I would really love to see the final numbers of them, but that will NEVER happen.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

Moderator edits which reverse the meaning of our posts are a bit much. If you make a series of statements, then add a 'Not!' type line you are indicating that what you wrote above is not true.

If the Mods then come along and remove that line it looks like you think your first set of statements were true!

So I do not think SWTOR has millions of subsriptions, TSW has not got millions signing up and I predict GW2 will not have millions of players either.

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Isasis

Every Sandbox released is quickly kicked to the ground and called terrible for having the exact things they want and they demand another with the exact same things again. People love sandbox, but when they can't get to the top in it, they will quickly ditch it. Its like capitalism, only a few make it up top and the rest have to suffer with being a nobody. No one likes that.

Your sources on that, please? Or is it just an opinion?

• DanrleiDanrlei Member Posts: 28

Sandbox MMOs are what I really want.

If its not a sandbox, then I dont want it.