Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World _ Win 32 Users Beware !

DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29

Currently playing Open Beta Weekend in TSW. The game-client is constantly crushing with an error : out of memory.

This is is due me using Win Vista 32-bit client with 4GB of RAM. It is a known issue with the vista and win 7 32-bit client.

So in case you are running 32-bit clients and are not planning on upgrading, you might not want to preorder or buy this game until this issue is fixed.

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

You are running with 3.2GB of ram because 32bit OS can't even recognise all 4GB

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

double post...ignore

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

My best advise is that you should upgrade. You are using the dreaded Vista, the problems do exist for other 32bit OS's too but more often on Vista as it leaks memory like an open ended tube.

You are only going to encounter this more going forward with newer games. Developers will eventually stop going out of their way for workarounds for old hardware/software.

*Also a single application can only use 2gb of memory on 32bit clients*

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Upgrade regardless vista is horrible. Your better off with win xp than vista.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

What Microsoft refuses to do, other people less interested in money have done:

Step 1

http://wj32.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/pae-patch-updated-for-windows-7-sp1/

Let windows acces more then 3.2 GB.

Step 2

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4192

Let programs acces more then 3.2 GB.

I have no idea how it works but after step 1 Windows 7 shows I am using all my 4 GB.

And after step 2 it fixed Skyrim crashing and gave a lot better framerate in Team Fortress 2 (this game likes RAM a lot)

So eh, I bet it works.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Why do people continue to try and play graphically intense games with the bare minimum specs?  It boggles my mind.  If your a gamer invest in a little upgrades and you wont have to go through this.  I purchased a gaming rig from Ibuypower.com for less then what a normal home PC costs at your local retailer.  For gamers who are on a budget or gamers who do not know the finer workings of what it takes to run a good PC game I suggest you look into upogrades. 

32bit systems have always been piss poor for gaming, I should know I used to have a 32 bit Vista system because I thought I was getting a bargain when instead I had to upgrade to a proper PC within a year.  Do yourself a favor and upgrade when you can.  Start with 64 bit system, 8 gb of ram, a good gfx card for gaming with at least 1gb onboard processing power and at least a 600 watt power supply.  You can get a affordable gaming rig for less then $1000.00 which is prolly the price most novices spend on a PC thinking it will run a good MMO game.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29

It is just a heads - up for people. I am well aware of current systems, how much RAM can actually be adressed by a 32-bit client. Thank you however.

Personally i don't have a need a need to upgrade. My first WIn Vista installation was stable for 4 years straight. i recently reinstalled and it is still fine and runnign everything else w/o problems. No probs with Skyrim for example.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Dalaimoc

It is just a heads - up for people. I am well aware of current systems, how much RAM can actually be adressed by a 32-bit client. Thank you however.

Personally i don't have a need a need to upgrade. My first WIn Vista installation was stable for 4 years straight. i recently reinstalled and it is still fine and runnign everything else w/o problems. No probs with Skyrim for example.

I hear ya mate.  I always find it amusing how so many people on forums state so and so should upgrade.  Apparently some people do not understand that upgrading costs money, and some players just cannot afford to pay it.  I would also hope they understand that not everyone feels the need to jump onto the newest OS everytime one comes out.  Bear in mind folks not all hardware is compatible with every OS.  Win 7 and Win 8 are not 100% backwards compatible.  Thanks for the warning OP.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

This can be a confusing topic.

The memory limit on 32bit Windows isn't because this is something Microsoft put in as a limitation but rather it's a limitation of the hardware imposed on the OS.  It's not physically possible for 32bit hardware to address more than 4gb of memory total.  That memory total doesn't just include your RAM either, but also the memory on your graphics card.  If you have 4gb system RAM and a graphics card with 1gb RAM then Windows will only see 3gb of your system RAM.  While you can enable PAE (which is what is being done in that link provided earlier in this thread), all your doing is shuffling how Windows uses RAM within that 4gb limit - and your success at being able to do this depends on if the drivers for your hardware support it.  Most consumer hardware isn't designed for PAE and will make your system unstable.

Ultimately, if you have a modern PC with Vista or Windows 7 your hardware supports a 64bit OS and you should be using that instead.  You don't need to rebuy Windows to get the 64bit version as your product key is useable in both 32bit and 64bit versions.  Microsoft even make the ISO's for 64bit versions available for free if you wish to move from 32bit.  If you're comfortable with installing Windows, this is something you should seriously consider doing if you've got more than 3gb of RAM in your system.

Do keep in mind that moving to a 64bit OS and installing super amounts of RAM isn't necessarily going to be a big improvement for your 32bit apps.  Again, by limitations in the architecture, 32bit applications can only use a max of 2gb of RAM.  You may have 16gb of RAM in your PC but your 32bit game (which 99% of all games are at the moment) is never going to be able to use it.  It will allow you to run more things at once, however.  So, since 32bit games still have a strong dependance on your hard drive while running, the biggest improvement for 32bit gaming comes from upgrading to an SSD so that the game can swap data to RAM faster.  Once 64bit games become more common this will become less of a factor when the games can start loading more of their data into RAM beyond 2gb

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Obraik

The memory limit on 32bit Windows isn't because this is something Microsoft put in as a limitation but rather it's a limitation of the hardware imposed on the OS.  It's not physically possible for 32bit hardware to address more than 4gb of memory total.  That memory total doesn't just include your RAM either, but also the memory on your graphics card.  If you have 4gb system RAM and a graphics card with 1gb RAM then Windows will only see 3gb of your system RAM.  While you can enable PAE (which is what is being done in that link provided earlier in this thread), all your doing is shuffling how Windows uses RAM within that 4gb limit - and your success at being able to do this depends on if the drivers for your hardware support it.  Most consumer hardware isn't designed for PAE and will make your system unstable.

Microsoft actually does limit the amount of memory that you can use with PAE in the cheaper Windows versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter 32Bit can use 128GiB RAM.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Currently playing Open Beta Weekend in TSW. The game-client is constantly crushing with an error : out of memory.

This is is due me using Win Vista 32-bit client with 4GB of RAM. It is a known issue with the vista and win 7 32-bit client.

So in case you are running 32-bit clients and are not planning on upgrading, you might not want to preorder or buy this game until this issue is fixed.

1. Open beta client is Old.

2. It's recommended that you have 6gb of ram which would assume you have 64x compatible software, and hardware.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/pc-games/the-secret-world/system-requirements

3. There comes a point where you have to realise you must to upgrade if you wish to run the latest software.

I hear ya mate. I always find it amusing how so many people on forums state so and so should upgrade. Apparently some people do not understand that upgrading costs money, and some players just cannot afford to pay it. I would also hope they understand that not everyone feels the need to jump onto the newest OS everytime one comes out. Bear in mind folks not all hardware is compatible with every OS. Win 7 and Win 8 are not 100% backwards compatible. Thanks for the warning OP.

And some people fail to realise if they want a high quality, high performace experience they need to fork out for that.

In this case, run the game on low settings with directx 9. because that's what is meant by minimum system requirements.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

I have 16GB of RAM and the games runs well

/thread

Originally posted by lakoka
    I have 16GB of RAM and the games runs well

/thread

Ive run it on linux Kubuntu 32bit with no crashes

/thread?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Deldor
    Originally posted by Obraik

Microsoft actually does limit the amount of memory that you can use with PAE in the cheaper Windows versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter 32Bit can use 128GiB RAM.

Indeed, but again, it requires certain hardware compatibility that you typically won't find in most consumer hardware, hence why it's restricted to the Datacenter edition where Hardware is at an enterprise level and very controlled.  I guess you could say it's a limitation imposed by Microsoft but really, it's imposed by Hardware.  Going through the effort of getting PAE working these days is a bit pointless with 64bit hardware being in pretty much all PCs and 64bit OS's not carrying any price premium over a 32bit version.eeeee      

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

32bit can see up to 4GB,but it counts your graphics cards memory towards the total. So how much is taken away from the total system memory the system displays it can see depends on your gfx card memory size. I can't remember the name of the feature myself, but there are motherboards that came out with a feature to allow a 32bit system see the full 4 gigs without it counting the gpu memory towards the total.

Originally posted by IAmMMO

32bit can see up to 4GB,but it counts your graphics cards memory towards the total. So how much is taken away from the total system memory the system displays it can see depends on your gfx card memory size. I can't remember the name of the feature myself, but there are motherboards that came out with a feature to allow a 32bit system see the full 4 gigs without it counting the gpu memory towards the total.

See the discussion above your reply...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

In times when Vista was new system, there is used to be 'a thing' that if you had BOX version of 32-bit Vista - then by contacting Microsoft you could ask for free (just shipping fee) for Vista 64-bit Disc and install it using key from your 32-bit.

It worked.

With OEM's was bit more harder, since same procedure was up to not MS, but company you bought hardware with OEM windows.  So in example you had Dell Laptop then you had to contact Dell for free Vista 64-bit disc.

Though NOW it might be diffrent. Since there is Win 7 out I am not sure above would work. I would guess they would have to buy Win 7 64 bit instead :/ 

Might be worth a shot.  I got my Vista 64-bit disc for free from Dell, since I did not want to use 32-bit with my Laptop as I have 4 GB of memory + GPU separate GRam.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by vmoped

I hear ya mate.  I always find it amusing how so many people on forums state so and so should upgrade.  Apparently some people do not understand that upgrading costs money, and some players just cannot afford to pay it.  I would also hope they understand that not everyone feels the need to jump onto the newest OS everytime one comes out.  Bear in mind folks not all hardware is compatible with every OS.  Win 7 and Win 8 are not 100% backwards compatible.  Thanks for the warning OP.

Cheers!

I get budget issues, I do, what boggles my mind is when I see people complain about a game being horrible then they don't even know what their specs are or how to look it up. There are people out there who think that all computers are equal. We had a guy in chat in SWTOR that after much work found he was running some old Pentium, I don't even know how he got into the game. As far as OS upgrades, I don't think everyone should get the newest OS the day it comes out but it's well documented that Vista is very flawed and 7 is much more stable, Vista and ME are horrible, XP and 7 are fine. I also don't get why anyone would get 32-bit anymore unless they have some legacy hardware they need. I would say 8 is an optional upgrade based on preference for UI. Also, I never ran into anything I couldn't run on Win7, the only issues I've ever had were hardware that doesn't have a 64bit driver. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

Are there still people having PC's with 32bit CPU? 

If you have a 64bit CPU, you should upgrade to 64bit OS!

When you bought the computer you should have demanded a 64bit OS in the first place.

Originally posted by vmoped

Cheers!

Sorry, but if gaming is your main hobby then paying to upgrade to 64bit OS should not be an issue. As soon as you buy a machine with 4GB of ram and install a 32bit OS you are wasting money by not using the installed ram.

Windows 7 is not really NEW anymore, Windows vista was a terrible OS, lucky you if you had no problems but many people had to skip it completely it was THAT bad.

Windows 7 is not really NEW anymore, Windows vista was a terrible OS, lucky you if you had no problems but many people had to skip it completely it was THAT bad.

It was not THAT bad, and people that say it is don't know its design, and or not technicians.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Nitth

It was not THAT bad, and people that say it is don't know its design, and or not technicians.

It's design is the problem. It's too large and poorly optimized. Win XP and Win 7 will outbench Vista in most categories on the same hardware time and time again. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by Nitth

I work in IT and both places that I have worked in the last 7 years skipped Vista completely because it was THAT bad. 

For the average joe it was fine, but for anyone that needed to use it beyond that it was not great at all.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by SlickShoes Windows 7 is not really NEW anymore, Windows vista was a terrible OS, lucky you if you had no problems but many people had to skip it completely it was THAT bad.
    I work in IT and both places that I have worked in the last 7 years skipped Vista completely because it was THAT bad. 

For the average joe it was fine, but for anyone that needed to use it beyond that it was not great at all.

Superfectch, Is supposed to fill up your ram with programs and frequently used applications for fast cache accesss.

Problem with this is people would run it on 2gbs of ram and go, "where's all my ram gone? and what happened to my performance"

Having tested longhorn, vista was a HUGE step forwards in windows design and having built systems for a company during that time period, most of the above problems were resolved by running system with 4gb of ram.

If your computer "had the balls", vista really shined.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Why do people continue to try and play graphically intense games with the bare minimum specs?  It boggles my mind.  If your a gamer invest in a little upgrades and you wont have to go through this.  I purchased a gaming rig from Ibuypower.com for less then what a normal home PC costs at your local retailer.  For gamers who are on a budget or gamers who do not know the finer workings of what it takes to run a good PC game I suggest you look into upogrades. 

32bit systems have always been piss poor for gaming, I should know I used to have a 32 bit Vista system because I thought I was getting a bargain when instead I had to upgrade to a proper PC within a year.  Do yourself a favor and upgrade when you can.  Start with 64 bit system, 8 gb of ram, a good gfx card for gaming with at least 1gb onboard processing power and at least a 600 watt power supply.  You can get a affordable gaming rig for less then $1000.00 which is prolly the price most novices spend on a PC thinking it will run a good MMO game.

So all of those games I've been playing for the past 10 years on my XP/Vista systems have been "piss poor?" hilarious. This is just a Funcom "we have a ram intensive engine that needs more than any other game issue".  TERA uses the beautiful Unreal 3 engine and runs on my Vista 32 bit system beautifully in crowded areas. I'll admit I've played about 15 hours of TSW beta and had one out of memory crash and overall it ran well. Also I had a similar problem in AOC so again this a Funcom problem not a specific computer problem. Also Vista SP2 is basically a Windows 7 install so this Vista is crap is outdated.

To the OP I've looked up the problem and it seems to be tied to using DX11 so switch to DX9 and you should be fine.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.