Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tank Healer DPS

13»

Comments

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by sapheroith
    Originally posted by Blacknd

Sure if you want to interpret everyone who has every skill unlocked as the same class, you can. It's really more like you can play every role, provided you have the gear and skill to do so.

I say player skill because you can have all the tank abilities and still be an awful tank.

I believe what you are looking for is a role-less MMORPG where everyone is.. er.. the same. 

No, my point is roles and class are different. TSW has a system with roles but no classes. It is still following the holy trinity formula, but i dont think the classless system can fix the flaw.

Role-less doesnt mean everyone is the same. GW2 has the system with classes but no roles. As long as the classes are distinctively different from each other, not everyone will be the same.

I see the major flaw generally only when I game locks you into a single role. Poeple generally don't want to play a tank or healer for their entire character lifespan.. if your character has access to everything you are way more likely to have a role for all occasions. Since if you get fed up with having to wait around for a tank you don't have to start a whole new character just to make one you can just work on a tank deck with your current character... flexability IMHO is they key to a succesfull trinity game

Yeh, i partially agree with that. However, having access to that role and player's willingness to play that role are different matters.

Take Wow for example, there are total of 8, 9 classes, 4 of them can tank. Given how easy to lvl up alts in wow and every class has dps spec, there shouldnt be an shortage of tanks at max lvl, but we all know thats not true. Unless devs can find a way to encourage players to play that role sucessfully, the problem persists.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by sapheroith

Yeh, i partially agree with that. However, having access to that role and player's willingness to play that role are different matters.

Take Wow for example, there are total of 8, 9 classes, 4 of them can tank. Given how easy to lvl up alts in wow and every class has dps spec, there shouldnt be an shortage of tanks at max lvl, but we all know thats not true. Unless devs can find a way to encourage players to play that role sucessfully, the problem persists.

This game in some ways makes it even worse. Not only will a person have to be willing to Tank, they will have to have the gear and (most importantly) an effective Build they actually know how to play. Just having a Blade or Chaos Magic won't be enough, just like selecting a Defensive Target and spamming AR Leeches will not a Healer make. How many people in this game are actually going to take the time to unlock Tanking Abilities as opposed to just DPS ones?

Some people will enjoy the skill, flexibility, and increased complexity... until they get to that dreaded "Endgame" (and yes there is a PvE Endgame and it focuses around Hard-Mode Dungeons and eventually Raids) and they experience that steady stream of "LF1M Tank" spam that is the "true joy" of Holy Trinity :P

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I'm suprised people use WOW as an example of something good in this thread. I know it makes a lot of cash for blizzard but let's not call it the best game there is just because it's a cash cow. Also saying that AION and RIFT are rock and roll games... common, get real. Just check forums on those two games and see what majority thinks about them. Fun for a month, after that it's same old same old.

Maybe TSW will not become wannabe wow, or wannabe rift. I like the lore much better than I like wow's lore. But game mechanics is the same, and I don't like it. And if endgame is going to be runing around and looking for tank I would rather not even try to get there.

Maybe it's just me who does not like theme parks like this one. Not sure, ask swotor guys what they think about theme parks and declining server population. Then ask someone who played AOC, if you can find those who remember that far, before it became f2p.

What also amazes me is number of fanbois who didn't even get to see endgame preaching here about gaming revolution. And yet in the same post they preach about "trinity" being absolutely needed and loved... and 100 years old. Make up your mind, TSW is either something new or something old. It can't be both at the same time. Also try to respect someone elses opinion for a change, not everyone must like wow like games.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

The skill system is the thing I found best about this game.  Being able to build your own classes is great and leads to a huge variety of play.  You can adapt to situations by changing your skills which adds a great amount of complexity and fun to events, and means the dev's can make content harder or more varied.

All these games being listed like Rift/SWTOR/WoW/Aion my problem I have with those games and the reason I don't play them is not the Trinity.  Just because people don't like a game doesn't mean every aspect of it was bad. 

TSW is not a beginners MMO, and the skill system which has you build your own Classes to fit the trinity model should be duplicated in more games.