Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay a sub for GW2?

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I would, if the cash shop would go as a consequence.

But I'm happy either way :).

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Well, considering almost 50% of the people voted NO that they would not buy it if it had as sub, I think it is safe to say that for a lot of people the pricing model is a huge factor.  Just like how GW1 got voted here as the #2 MMO of all time LOL.

Thank you for demonstrating very clearly that this is a horrible, poorly designed poll.

What the poll numbers mean is:

4 people would not buy it if it had a sub (But they wouldn't buy it anyway)

3 people would not buy it if it had a sub (Because they don't like the game enough)

6 people would not buy it if it had a sub (Because they wouldn't pay a sub for any game) 

All the rest of the people who would not buy it if it had a sub think it's worth a sub price, just feel they would be disillusioned by Arenanet recanting their previous position on subscriptions.

What?  You say those numbers are complete bullshit?

Yes.  Yes they are.  ... I pulled them out of nowhere, but you can't disprove them because there's absolutely no granularity in the poll.  You can't tell WHY somebody says no or yes, or whatever.

Is it 'yes, I would buy it if it had a sub, though I wouldn't buy it usually'?  Is it 'No, I wouldn't buy it if it had a sub, because I'd never buy it anyway'?  Who knows!  Nobody knows.

Badly designed poll that gives no meaningful information.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by remyburke
    If they got rid of the lame ass cash shop? In a second.

How do you suppose they make a profit then?

perhaps via the method in the thread title?

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Well, considering almost 50% of the people voted NO that they would not buy it if it had as sub, I think it is safe to say that for a lot of people the pricing model is a huge factor.  Just like how GW1 got voted here as the #2 MMO of all time LOL.

so true !

f.e. myself i love EVE but i DONT play it, cause i dont want to pay sub (or spent time in order to make enough ISK to buy PLEX to play for "free" ..) i dont want all this preassure from sub on myself, i am not able to pay sub everymonth, why not be able to play my game every moment like single play RPGs ? 

about the argument for cost, the f2p market already answered or the GW1 ..

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

+1

I wonder why this thread even reached 21 pages....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Thank you for demonstrating very clearly that this is a horrible, poorly designed poll.

What the poll numbers mean is:

4 people would not buy it if it had a sub (But they wouldn't buy it anyway)

3 people would not buy it if it had a sub (Because they don't like the game enough)

6 people would not buy it if it had a sub (Because they wouldn't pay a sub for any game) 

All the rest of the people who would not buy it if it had a sub think it's worth a sub price, just feel they would be disillusioned by Arenanet recanting their previous position on subscriptions.

What?  You say those numbers are complete bullshit?

Yes.  Yes they are.  ... I pulled them out of nowhere, but you can't disprove them because there's absolutely no granularity in the poll.  You can't tell WHY somebody says no or yes, or whatever.

Is it 'yes, I would buy it if it had a sub, though I wouldn't buy it usually'?  Is it 'No, I wouldn't buy it if it had a sub, because I'd never buy it anyway'?  Who knows!  Nobody knows.

That assumes that people are not able to comprehend the difference between a scenario where Arenanet switches from sub to B2P and one where there never was a b2p but instead there was p2p while everything else was equal. I am expecting the grand majority to comprehend the difference and vote accordingly.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

That assumes that people are not able to comprehend the difference between a scenario where Arenanet switches from sub to B2P and one where there never was a b2p but instead there was p2p while everything else was equal. I am expecting the grand majority to comprehend the difference and vote accordingly.

You mean the 50% thinks that GW2 is a good game because it doesn't have a sub only?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by seridan

You mean the 50% thinks that GW2 is a good game because it doesn't have a sub only?

No, I mean that I expect the majority of those 50% to realize the difference between a scenario where GW2 switched from b2p to p2p and one where GW2 never had b2p to begin with but instead was p2p. Using that assumption, we can deduce that almost 50% of the poll voters do not think Guild Wars 2 is good enough to justify p2p even if the game had always been p2p. 

Does that mean that the game is bad? No, it doesn't.  I never played MW3 due to their DLC Day 1, but I do know many enjoyed many aspects of that game. 

Using that assumption, we can deduce that almost 50% of the poll voters do not think Guild Wars 2 is good enough to justify p2p even if the game had always been p2p.

That's a wrong assumption. Read the topic from the beginning and you'll find many who say it is worth a sub more than any other game but vote "no" because they don't want a sub in the first place, not that it's not worth it.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

i dont think i would really play gw2 if it was sub ,idont know yet  and by far is mi favorite game ever made and is really worth but to be honest they are smart enough to make games thatw e want to and have fun and they dont really want to take our money monthly so we can have fun other than CS wish is optional and ofcourse im not going to ignore that staff  eat too so yes i would suport the game too ,we cant be ignorant making a game is not easy required alot of work and in some way it need to be compensate ty god gw2 CS dont give you advantage and is not a p2w game like otheers f2p mmo TYVM ARENANET IM FK LOVE YOU GUYS

Using that assumption, we can deduce that almost 50% of the poll voters do not think Guild Wars 2 is good enough to justify p2p even if the game had always been p2p.

That's a wrong assumption. Read the topic from the beginning and you'll find many who say it is worth a sub more than any other game but vote "no" because they don't want a sub in the first place, not that it's not worth it.

Just because they think it is worth more than any other game, it doesn't mean that it is worth enough to buy it if it had always been a sub. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just because they think it is worth more than any other game, it doesn't mean that it is worth enough to buy it if it had always been a sub. 

Irrelevant. Poorly designed poll, and the majority of people aren't responding based on the game's value. They are responding based on if they want that business model or not.

Business model /= value. At all. Hell, by that logic the best games are only being made by EA, right? On launch DLC means the game must be good!

The simple truth is the poll says absolutely nothing. It's poorly designed. Researchers call this 'bad data'.

Yeah if they hate all games with subs that's true, partially. Saying "it's worth more than all the other games" is enough to draw a conclusion about the OP question "Would you pay a sub for GW2?". Now following with "but no I wouldn't pay because no game is worth a sub" is totally different.

A better question would've been "Is Guild Wars 2 worth more than other MMORPGs?" or even "Is no-sub the reason you want to play Guild Wars 2?" those would give better answers, the OP's poll isn't useful for drawing any kind of conclusion.

Yeah if they hate all games with subs that's true, partially. Saying "it's worth more than all the other games" is enough to draw a conclusion about the OP question "Would you pay a sub for GW2?". Now following with "but no I wouldn't pay because no game is worth a sub" is totally different.

A better question would've been "Is Guild Wars 2 worth more than other MMORPGs?" or even "Is no-sub the reason you want to play Guild Wars 2?" those would give better answers, the OP's poll isn't useful for drawing any kind of conclusion.

Depends on what you are seeking to learn. If the poller wants to know if  the fact that it was not a  sub but a b2p from the start, was a singificant factor for many people on the Guild Wars 2 forum section of MMORPG.com then he got his answer.

If he wants to know if many would buy Guild Wars 2 only because it is has no sub, then it is a bad poll.  I don't expect anyone in their right mind buy Guild Wars 2 solely because of its lack of sub, I expect them to like other parts of the game. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Not a chance.  Its a pretty good game but its not the New Robot Jesus that its "fans" claim it is.

yet its still better than all those other themeparks people pay $15 bucks a month for

Opinion, not fact.

where did I ever say my opinions were facts?  But after well over a decade of playing themeparks I feel comfortable with my opinion on this matter

You phrased your response as if it were a fact.  Saying its better than all other themepark MMOs with a sub fee is up for debate.

not at all. it's a fact. gw2 is the next big thing, hands down will be the best game on the market, not to mention best MMO by lightyears. MMO's are total garbage right now, with the exception of EVE, which is unique in many ways.

Again.  Opinion, not fact. 

Motley Crue is the greatest hair metal band of all time.  Opinion, not fact.  GW2 will be the best MMO on the market.  Opinion, not fact.

Well, having so many opinions that think it will be has to count for something, right?

Since it's still in beta (and it's more polished and has more content than most of the games which have been on the market for years) we can't really say that it is the next big thing... But we can certanly say it has the best chances of being just that. 

PS.

To all those who're saying the cash shop is P2W or looks like it is and stuff like that, please, atleast do some research before you emberass yourself next time?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Congratulations!  You've helped reinforce that it's a badly designed poll, because you just attributed meaning to the poll that didn't exist.

When you can add your own made upmeanings to a poll to get completely different answers, more evidence it's a very poorly done poll.

I'm glad I had somebody to illustrate it so clearly though. :)  Up until you came along, my example was mostly theoretical.  Though I'm not sure you needed to give a second example later.  That might be a bit overkill.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour.

Depends on what you are seeking to learn. If the poller wants to know if the fact that it was not a sub but a b2p from the start, was a singificant factor for many people on the Guild Wars 2 forum section of MMORPG.com then he got his answer.

If he wants to know if many would buy Guild Wars 2 only because it is has no sub, then it is a bad poll. I don't expect anyone in their right mind buy Guild Wars 2 solely because of its lack of sub, I expect them to like other parts of the game.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Congratulations!  You've helped reinforce that it's a badly designed poll, because you just attributed meaning to the poll that didn't exist.

When you can add your own made upmeanings to a poll to get completely different answers, more evidence it's a very poorly done poll.

I'm glad I had somebody to illustrate it so clearly though. :)  Up until you came along, my example was mostly theoretical.  Though I'm not sure you needed to give a second example later.  That might be a bit overkill.

+5

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I will be treating the cash shop like a sub, This ticks all of the boxes I've wanted for a game that no mmorpg I've ever played has delivered on.

I'll be putting around £5-10 a month into the cash shop, too help Arena Net and to satisfy my own compleitonist side.

In comparison to Sub fee's I've paid for SWTOR, WoW, War, FFXI, LOTRO (at release) and my impressions from the Beta events I've participarted in GuildWars2 already offers more value for money than all of the above titles. 

Its strength in the cash shop is should I be unable to play for a few weeks a month due to a holiday or girlfriend agro then I won't feel like I'm wasting money as I am not forced to maintain a subscription.

If you are a PVE centric player there is some argument towards "end game pve content" but with the ammount going on in the world and the options for Alts there is still so much for your money available. For those of us who like PVP, in the games current state there is no finer game available.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I would gladly pay a sub to acquire Guild Wars 2.  I sure wish they'd accept a five dollar footlong as payment for the box.

(...)

It was implied that it was not about a change from b2p to p2p.  The implication was there in the original poll through the use of the words "was" instead of "becomes" and avoidance of the word "change". 

It was implied that it was not about a change from b2p to p2p.  The implication was there in the original poll through the use of the words "was" instead of "becomes" and avoidance of the word "change". 

IMPLIED?  And you think that's how you make a good poll?  By implying things (Especially when multiple people who bothered to respond to this topic clearly gave different interpretations?)

Look, MMORPG is full of people who don't know how to make polls that are worth anything.  OP is one of them, and so are you.  That's fine, poll making is a fine art, and to make a legitimately useful one, it requires very unambigious wording, clear cut answers, and meaningful choices.  Otherwise, all you have is a useless poll that gives no real information, and can only be used for the purpose of pretending your viewpoint is backed up by non-existant 'facts'.

I can't believe you're even defending it after it was explained what's wrong with it.

It doesn't even have an option 'No, and I wasn't going to buy it anyway', surely you can at the VERY least admit that's a serious flaw?

IMPLIED?  And you think that's how you make a good poll?  By implying things (Especially when multiple people who bothered to respond to this topic clearly gave different interpretations?)

Look, MMORPG is full of people who don't know how to make polls that are worth anything.  OP is one of them, and so are you.  That's fine, poll making is a fine art, and to make a legitimately useful one, it requires very unambigious wording, clear cut answers, and meaningful choices.  Otherwise, all you have is a useless poll that gives no real information, and can only be used for the purpose of pretending your viewpoint is backed up by non-existant 'facts'.

I can't believe you're even defending it after it was explained what's wrong with it.

It doesn't even have an option 'No, and I wasn't going to buy it anyway', surely you can at the VERY least admit that's a serious flaw?

The poll could have been done better and your suggestion to have the option " 'No, and I wasn't going to buy it anyway" would have improved it. However, there is a large gray area between "useful" and "useless" poll and this poll gave certain "useful" information regarding MMORPG visitors in this forum section. By designing it in a better manner, more useful information could have been extracted.

What I think is likely is that either a lot of those who voted "NO" didn't get the implicated conditions in the poll description, which I found to be easy to detect, or the fact that it was b2p and not p2p from the start matters so much, that they wouldn't be willing to buy the game, for a signficant amount of people for different reasons.

Even narrowing down to a group of different scenarios can be considered to be useful information. 

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83

I think the quality of the game is more important than the payment method, that being said my favorite is one with no ptw cash shop, that can ruin games. If I can try the game on a free trial before deciding to buy helps alot too which is why open betas are great imo.

Why isn't this thread locked or moved to the later pages already? It's obvious the poll was useless was move along

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

If they remove their pay to win cash shop and replace it with monthly fee,then maybe i could give it a shot.

Let's internet