Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay a sub for GW2?

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

If a game is good I gladly pay a subscription fee. Since Guild Wars 2 doesn't, I'll gladly throw money at the shop they have instead.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Its easy to say 'yes I would' when you know in reality you don't have to.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

From what I've seen in the beta events, I would definitely still buy the game if it had a monthly sub. But I can't really say whether I would subscribe after the free month or for how many months. I'm quite happy that the game is B2P so I don't even have to think about such things and can simply play when and how much I want.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Considering that the only component of this game with any longevity is PvP, I can't see why anyone would consider paying $15 a month for the game when there are so many F2P PvP focused games out there.

ANet's B2P business model allows them to release sub-par MMO's without the repercussions that other games like SWTOR experience when players realize there isn't much to do after a couple of months.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

No

and it isn't a question about worth it or not,

subscription imposes a certain play schedule on people, whereas B2P gives you freedom to when you complete the game on your terms. People say they can pay 5 subs at the same time, they often rushes through content so they can jump onto the next p2p game and save some sub money, in the end, you lose some of the experience along the way. I would rather they charge each monthly content update $15, than me paying they $15 no matter if the content is coming or not. I should be able to choose when and how I play my game, I bought the box right? Why should I have to pay you more just to enjoy the content I have bought already?

The $60 is down the drain if I don't keep paying my sub.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

If it was made as P2P (without CS) game, sure I would pay. 

• DogPeeOnTreeDogPeeOnTree Member Posts: 92

For a game lil different than AIon wich i played,and both got linear progressing,go further take next quest and 0 exploring ima pass on this game as total.Miss old days with Freelancer wich was not mmo but had huge huge map,Eve is great sci fi exploration game but lets face it,U may fell asleep.People should try make more space exploration games,and Skyrim world based ones.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

No, not a chance. There is no game out there that could justify a p2p model.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by DogPeeOnTree

For a game lil different than AIon wich i played,and both got linear progressing,go further take next quest and 0 exploring ima pass on this game as total.Miss old days with Freelancer wich was not mmo but had huge huge map,Eve is great sci fi exploration game but lets face it,U may fell asleep.People should try make more space exploration games,and Skyrim world based ones.

I smell a troll.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by xKingdomx

No

and it isn't a question about worth it or not,

subscription imposes a certain play schedule on people, whereas B2P gives you freedom to when you complete the game on your terms. People say they can pay 5 subs at the same time, they often rushes through content so they can jump onto the next p2p game and save some sub money, in the end, you lose some of the experience along the way. I would rather they charge each monthly content update $15, than me paying they $15 no matter if the content is coming or not. I should be able to choose when and how I play my game, I bought the box right? Why should I have to pay you more just to enjoy the content I have bought already?

The $60 is down the drain if I don't keep paying my sub.

Someone has to pay for the ongoing costs associated with servers and support. I would pay more if it meant people like you wouldn't play MMORPGs.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

yes or no, it doesn't matter anymore for me.

I have changed and will not sub to a game long anymore.

I am GW2 target audience because in the end i will spend more in the cash shop than i ever would on a monthly fee.

I am properly not the only one anymore

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Not sure I would.

Maybe eventually. Honestly though if this game had a sub I would probably hold off a bit until trying out some other games. Then again considering I'll probably be done with the main game that comes to mind, TSW, before GW2 ever launches so may be moot anyways.

I suppose the better response from me might be I probably still would but it might change the timing of when I purchased the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

If it was on a different server sperate from the cheapo CS lovers, yeah I would.   (Would for TSW too)  Even if the sub was higher then 15 a month.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• BlueCameoBlueCameo Member Posts: 93

This question shouldn't even be asked in my honest opinion. The poor and low income people are flocking to this game in droves...not the best time to be talking about money really.

Just focus on the game....

"Good, honorable gamers will continue to fit the bill for the poor and lower classed people. It's just a sign of the times." ~ Anonymous. Lakexeno.com

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

i still remember the first time i heard about games with monthly fees i could never believe it untill i see it, paying the game box plus the month always seem exagerated to me, with the release of GW1 ive seen that a mmo can stand without a monthly fee perfectly, still i already paid monthly for quite mmos, still i think if one game can survive that way, all can.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Yeah, i would surely give it a try for a month or two. Compared to any FPS oder Single Player Game out there, nearly each MMORPG gives more value for money. Even the bad ones.

Hodor!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by bcbully

We've all heard people say things like "Plus there's no sub, " or "Since I don't have to pay a sub." If GW2 was 15$ a month would you pay it?

most useless post in ages.

why should we discuss that, since guild wars DOES NOT HAVE a monthly fee, obvioulsy i would not pay.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BlueCameoBlueCameo Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Thane

We've all heard people say things like "Plus there's no sub, " or "Since I don't have to pay a sub." If GW2 was 15$ a month would you pay it?

why should we discuss that, since guild wars DOES NOT HAVE a monthly fee, obvioulsy i would not pay.

They are planning an over 1k item, cash shop per tweets. You won't get to be a freeloader in this game I don't think.

"Good, honorable gamers will continue to fit the bill for the poor and lower classed people. It's just a sign of the times." ~ Anonymous. Lakexeno.com

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Thane

most useless reply on thos this thread so far. You have 100% missed the meaning and point of his question.

Do you really think he was asking a question along the lines of;

Would you pay $100 for a $1 dollar candy bar?

You are getting annoyed with the OP for the sake of getting annoyed. read my post on page 7 to understand what he was REALLY asking, I am not going to repeat myself to every troll out there.

EDIT: if you think someone has made an extremly pointless thread on this forum then you have most likely completly missed the point of said post. reread it and try to pretend that the person who wrote said thread is smarter than you are.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Nightverge
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Add the sub and remove the cash shop and I'll play it.  As it is now I won't play it.  Too much pay2win aspect...

I sincerely hope your joking. Else I've lost all hope in humanity. When you have a moment take a look at what is actually in the cash shop. Unless you consider a mobile bank Pay 2 Win.

There is absolutely no pay 2 win aspect of the game what-so-ever. Not only are the items mostly cosmetic and boosters you don't have to pay for them either. Granted the conversion ratio of gold to gems is low. None-the-less its there though. 

Furthermore, it makes no sense that you would pay a subscription and then not play a game that doesn't charge you one. Still, your choice I guess. I'd recommend you give it a chance though as its almost the opposite of what your saying.

On topic. I am also of the mind that no MMO is worth a subscription anymore. Still, if I was going to pay a subscription it would be for this game. I haven't had such fun in an MMO for years.  

Look, just in case those who harbor the notion that Guild Wars 2 is a pay-to-win game still require additional clarification.

Check out this in-depth analysis of the Guild Wars 2 economic system presented by Tales of Tyria. This should put this matter at rest once and for all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kx7o7CRoDXc

Roll the Dice

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

I vote NO. Although, this game is more worthly than many P2P games, but internet hosting on these days aren't much expensive compare with former times. I think it's time for any other and upcoming mmorpg to turn their business to B2P model.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Of course i would pay a sub. I pay my 15$ p.m. in every game, if i am conviced about the game after the free trial or open beta. I dont care about the business model F2P B2P, P2P or 123. I simply pay my 15 bucks. and yes, i will pay about 15$ p.m. for GW2, too.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

The only way i would play any mmo is if it is sub based. F2P and B2P is a recipe for a game that will start good and the only thing that gets better is the cash shop. No thanks i aint into disposable games

• srasmsrasm Member UncommonPosts: 42

No.

I wouldn't pay 15$ a month because I refuse to pay monthly fees at all. Maybe I would pay someting for a weekend or even for a few hours. The time I can (and will) spend in games has become very fragmented. Monthly fees don't make sense any more regardless of the quality of a particular game.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

You forgot "Too early to tell" on the poll. so i voted no :p. There were only 2 betas and a total of 4day gameplay (stress test is lolz), although i loved it so far from a pvp aspect i think its too early to tell if people would pay a sub for GW2. IMO, no games out there should be a sub for they are all fail and nothing new. GW2 will be the only game i would consider subscribing though.