Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay a sub for GW2?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I didn't want to post an answer about this right away so I thought on it a few days. I would pay a monthly as long as I felt like playing an MMO. But I like many MMOers are seeing times have changed and 15 bucks a month is a rip off. So I would play GW2 because its quality but the day a MMO of good quality came out that gave a reasonable monthly fee I would be gone no matter how involved I was in GW2. ANet has gone a long way to winning my loyalty with its payment model. I love WoW but if blizzard goes the same business model after GW2 makes it work, I won't go back to WoW.
  • LurchingLurching Member UncommonPosts: 8

My problem with monthly subs is they are all $15 or so.  May not seem like that much but its too much for a game sub.

Id have multiple game subs if they were $5 a month.

$15?  zero.  

Cancelled SWTOR after 4 months cause it wasn't really worth $15 a month.  Id go back if they dropped it to $5

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I would pay Blizzard, PWI, Funcom, SOE, NCSoft, and EA all a full monthly sub fee if that's what was required to access GW2, and feel like I was finally getting my money's worth from all those tards.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

As a regular player?nope!it is fine like it is!BUT!as a garanty of pvp huge amount of money being given by arenanet for their tournament?hell yes.in my view if you participate in pvp with the goal to win the price arenanet give?in that reguard monthly should be mandatory!lets face it. Thisis the main feature after all

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Not a chance.  Its a pretty good game but its not the New Robot Jesus that its "fans" claim it is.

yet its still better than all those other themeparks people pay $15 bucks a month for

Opinion, not fact.

where did I ever say my opinions were facts?  But after well over a decade of playing themeparks I feel comfortable with my opinion on this matter

You phrased your response as if it were a fact.  Saying its better than all other themepark MMOs with a sub fee is up for debate.

Yea but you phrased your first statement as if it was a fact.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Remember, the definition of fact is 'The beliefs I hold', while the definition of opinion is 'the beliefs you hold'

If you keep that in mind, you'll understand forums a lot better. :)

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Why isn't there a response for the poll "I haven't played the game yet so saying that anything beyond the typical first free month would be persumptious."

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Remember, the definition of fact is 'The beliefs I hold', while the definition of opinion is 'the beliefs you hold'

If you keep that in mind, you'll understand forums a lot better. :)

Appreciate the information.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm having a difficult time justifying ANY monthly fee these days. The games just aren't worth it.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by fiontar

The poll is completely worthless.

+1

If any other MMO is worth a sub then GW2 is worth a double sub than that. Sub-free is the last on the list of awesome Guild Wars 2 features.

Would I "pay" for it? No of course not since there would never be a subscription in this game, why would I even consider it?

At the moment of release it does not seem important indeed, but after a year or so, when you get that new game you wanna play, its much easier to return to GW2 after 2 months because there is no sub witholding you from making that decision.

I couldn't agree more. I sometimes feel a desire to replay an MMO I used to play, but then I start thinking I might only play for a few days or maybe even only one day if I'm not having enough fun. I don't feel like gambling a whole month's sub in that case.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by heartless

Subscription is an outdated model and rewards lazyness from developers. It's also basically a rip off. Consider the following.

One of the main justifications for a subscription in an MMORPG is that the developers are constantly releasing new free content. Let's take an average subscription game like SWTOR or WoW. How often do those games get new free content patched in? Once every 3-4 months, if we're lucky. Consider also the scope of this new content. A new instance or a raid, a few quests or a PvP battleground. Now consider that during the 4 month period of paying $15, you payed $60 for a that content patch. Not so free now, is it? You basically purchased a new raid for the price of a full game. Then you have the expansion packs, which usually get released once every 2 years or so and cost as much as a full game.

Bandwith and server costs are so low that most companies don't even list them separately and usually put them under "misc" with all of the other miscelanious expenses like office supplies and whatnot.

I prefer ArenaNet's approach, to be honest. GW1 had 3 stand alone campaigns and 1 expansion released from April of 2005 to October of 2007. Not to mention a bit of free content updates here and there. Not only did their model give players more content, as each campaign was a stand alone game, it was cheaper than 2 years of standard MMO subscriptions.

Payment model doesn't matter at all.  Both payment models update maybe once or twice a year.  The difference between the two is a P2P model will give you access to everything.  The P2W model that GW2 uses will just guaranty that something in the update will require a player to purchase from the cash shop.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Payment model doesn't matter at all.  Both payment models update maybe once or twice a year.  The difference between the two is a P2P model will give you access to everything.  The P2W model that GW2 uses will just guaranty that something in the update will require a player to purchase from the cash shop.

You do know that there is no P2W model in GW2 and you get access to everything with just your purchase right?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

If a sub meant having no cash shop, I would happily pay a sub.

If a sub meant having a sub AND a cash shop, I would begrudingly pay a sub.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Simply put, I'm not paying for a sub for a game again, ever. I like GW2, I'm willing to buy things in the item shop to help support it, but I will never again spend a monthly fee on a video game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Come on Creslin, what about the items available in the GW2 shop has got you still on this topic?

I respect your postings and opinion, I'm curious.

In my time in BWE's and Stress tests, never once felt compelled to "have" to buy anything, but I did spend points just for shits and giggles just cause they were free.

Compared to other games like LOTRO / STO the cash shop in GW2 is like... cash shop lite - hence the box price.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Come on Creslin, what about the items available in the GW2 shop has got you still on this topic?

In my time in BWE's and Stress tests, never once felt compelled to "have" to buy anything, but I did spend points just for shits and giggles just cause they were free.

Compared to other games like LOTRO / STO the cash shop in GW2 is like... cash shop lite - hence the box price.

It's really the fact that you can buy gold with gems that bothers me.  I just don't like the fact that the player economy is directly tied to real money by legitimate means.

I don't think it will wreck the game or anything, but I would much rather pay $15 a months and have an isolated economy in-game than not.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by gainesvilleg
    Add the sub and remove the cash shop and I'll play it.  As it is now I won't play it.  Too much pay2win aspect...

Right. How do you "win" an MMO that goes on month after month, year after year? And how do you do that when the only things that will be sold in the cash shop are cosmetic items and the ability to increase the speed with which you level? So you're 80 3 days before they guy who didn't pay for it hit 80. In 3 months what difference will your 3 days have made?

It's really the fact that you can buy gold with gems that bothers me.  I just don't like the fact that the player economy is directly tied to real money by legitimate means.

I don't think it will wreck the game or anything, but I would much rather pay $15 a months and have an isolated economy in-game than not.

That is fair.

Those with more IRL $ will be able to "get ahead" in in-game gold via the shop, but so much of GW2 is a skill based game (especially PvP) I really don't think it's going to be much of a problem.

That is fair.

Those with more IRL $ will be able to "get ahead" in in-game gold via the shop, but so much of GW2 is a skill based game (especially PvP) I really don't think it's going to be much of a problem.

Yep I agree.

I guess part of it is that I always viewed accumlating large amounts of wealth as a fun part of the game.  Like in WoW, I had tons of fun just playing the auction house to get money.

But with the economy directly tied to real money...I just don't see that being that enjoyable.

That is fair.

Yep I agree.

I guess part of it is that I always viewed accumlating large amounts of wealth as a fun part of the game.  Like in WoW, I had tons of fun just playing the auction house to get money.

But with the economy directly tied to real money...I just don't see that being that enjoyable.

Well spoken and thought out as always.

I imagine you could do the same, make tons of $ in-game and use it to finance store purchases and effectively use your in-game skill to pay for shop purchases other people have to pay IRL money for.

That's even more of a win, IMO.

That is fair.

Yep I agree.

I imagine you could do the same, make tons of $ in-game and use it to finance store purchases and effectively use your in-game skill to pay for shop purchases other people have to pay IRL money for.

That could be true, we will have to see how it plays out.  For some reason, I really feel like RMT is going to cheapen the perceived value for in-game gold.  But maybe you're right, maybe in-game gold will become even more desired which is great.

That could be true, we will have to see how it plays out.  For some reason, I really feel like RMT is going to cheapen the perceived value for in-game gold.  But maybe you're right, maybe in-game gold will become even more desired which is great.

I think that depends entirely on how the market plays out after launch.

How often and much people spend IRL $ on gems, how much people spend in-game gold on gems, and based on conversion rates and popularity of either option how much Arenanet modifies the price and does promotions etc. etc.

Far too big a thing to predict, but I agree it really could go either way.

Best way to help push it in the direction you want is to participate in the economy :)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I'd go either way.  The non-sub allows people to play the game for whatever price they want, guaranteeing that there will always be a substantial amount of people to play with in an mMO.

Games with subs have to rely on having a considerable amount of soloable content and expect for a considerable drop off in players after the free month.  

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

Why? Are you a Chinese gold farmer?

I don't get why people would rather be forced to pay ~$180 per year just for server access than have an optional cash shop with cosmetic/quality of life items. Maybe I'm just dense.

Subscription based games with no cash shop are full of gold farmers selling game money for real money on 3rd party sites. I can't see how this is better than the company which made the game facilitating this transaction themselves. The only downside is for the illegal gold farmers. In a sub based game I can still use my credit card to buy some gold (probably from someone running a bot sweatshop, and maybe with bonus keyloggers to gank my account later too, yay) and buy that *Helm of Uber-Pwn +15* from the auction house. 

The cash shop in GW2 is NOT P2W. Even if you got your epic legendary gear straight off your visa card, who cares, it won't let you one-shot n00bz anyway.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg

Why? Are you a Chinese gold farmer?

I don't get why people would rather be forced to pay ~$180 per year just for server access than have an optional cash shop with cosmetic/quality of life items. Maybe I'm just dense.

Subscription based games with no cash shop are full of gold farmers selling game money for real money on 3rd party sites. I can't see how this is better than the company which made the game facilitating this transaction themselves. The only downside is for the illegal gold farmers. In a sub based game I can still use my credit card to buy some gold (probably from someone running a bot sweatshop, and maybe with bonus keyloggers to gank my account later too, yay) and buy that *Helm of Uber-Pwn +15* from the auction house. 

The cash shop in GW2 is NOT P2W. Even if you got your epic legendary gear straight off your visa card, who cares, it won't let you one-shot n00bz anyway.

Well them small amount of keys vs chest drops seems to be a clever way to make some cash.
    + the expansion in 6 months and then u already paid 130 bucks.
    Arenanet is like any other company. They ll suck you dry.