Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The result was just a disappointment

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Next the OP with say GW2 customization is better.

It is far superior to Rift since you are not suck in a class (NOT LIKE RIFT AT ALL) it is most like AC which most of you never played. But you are free to create what you want with out being restricted.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I never was interested in anything Funcom before. I played some AoC for a friend but never quite hooked. It wasn't my type of game.

I don't mean to hate on this game quite so much, and possibly should apologize, but I'm initimately familiar with the combat and all I see is the same abilities spammed again and again.

My biggest complaint, as I've said before, is this 7/7 nonsense. Seven abilities makes me feel like I want nothing to do with CDs because .. I want to have a complex and fun game. Each ability with a 20, 25, or even 90 second cooldown on my bars takes away from the precious seven. It makes my rotation and combat style that much simpler.

I think the game could do a lot in just expanding to 10 each or 14 each. At least in abilities. The balance of passives might be too delicate to just *do this*.

I feel like charges and jumpbacks are fun, but I feel like any toys like this that I have equipped just simplify my rotation.

Funcom makes it different by describing something wildly different. Build your own class they said. They lied.

It's important to note that having 25 skills or more, at the same time doesn't make anything complex. This is a huge mistake that people make. One of the most complex games "ever" is the game of Go. The rules are exceptionally simple but the game is very complex.

Just because this skill wheel doesn't match what you think of as being complex doesn't necessarily mean it's not complex. And you can make anything you want. You just can't be everything you want.

For my money that is always the better system.

Let's say it allowed 15 skills. Just for fun.

You could have Single Target Buiilder, AE builder, ST and EF finisher (4 abilities), a charge, a leapback, party buffs, CDs.

In the same game, more buttons does add a dimension of fun. You don't need to press the buttons each and every fight, but having them is more fun and having them can save your butt.

Having more builders, too, allows for more complex rotations too, like the need to mix in different builders.

I'm not trying to hate on the game in this thread, I'm trying to say that this is how they should consider fixing the problem. Many many people don't enjoy TSW's combat. I probably loathe it the worst, and it's such a shame because most games don't have a single quest that are as good as even the least entertaining of TSW's.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

Another thread whining about the combat because they didn't get it. Its clear the op has no idea what hes talking about. I don't think the general masses are built for this game honestly. This is just more examples of people who can't get past their (insert generic mmo game here ie: WoW EQ2 etc etc). The guy saying its like rift obviously never played the trees in rift only allowed you different mechanics of the same class. 

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Build different decks for different situations. I didn't spend alot of time but I came up with one deck for taking out groups and one for single target. One build was strait up dps for mobs with no resists/buff and one for mobs that required some type of debuff. I found it was up to me to assess the situation and build a deck accordingly.

I find this way of doing it very organic. I feel like I am researching and refining my skill set which also leads to finding the weaknesses and getting stronger.

Originally posted by Abangyarudo

Another thread whining about the combat because they didn't get it. Its clear the op has no idea what hes talking about. I don't think the general masses are built for this game honestly. This is just more examples of people who can't get past their (insert generic mmo game here ie: WoW EQ2 etc etc). The guy saying its like rift obviously never played the trees in rift only allowed you different mechanics of the same class. 

Oh I get it. You assume because I don't enjoy it, and think that it could be better, I didn't get it?

I get that certain abilities (often via passives) inflict debuffs, or buffs, like slowed down, reduced damage. increased player damage and other abilities (often via passives) exploit those debuffs.

I'm not having any trouble killing anything, I just feel like there's precious little room on my bars for something with a 20s+ cd because of so few spaces.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I never was interested in anything Funcom before. I played some AoC for a friend but never quite hooked. It wasn't my type of game.

I don't mean to hate on this game quite so much, and possibly should apologize, but I'm initimately familiar with the combat and all I see is the same abilities spammed again and again.

My biggest complaint, as I've said before, is this 7/7 nonsense. Seven abilities makes me feel like I want nothing to do with CDs because .. I want to have a complex and fun game. Each ability with a 20, 25, or even 90 second cooldown on my bars takes away from the precious seven. It makes my rotation and combat style that much simpler.

I think the game could do a lot in just expanding to 10 each or 14 each. At least in abilities. The balance of passives might be too delicate to just *do this*.

I feel like charges and jumpbacks are fun, but I feel like any toys like this that I have equipped just simplify my rotation.

Funcom makes it different by describing something wildly different. Build your own class they said. They lied.

It's important to note that having 25 skills or more, at the same time doesn't make anything complex. This is a huge mistake that people make. One of the most complex games "ever" is the game of Go. The rules are exceptionally simple but the game is very complex.

Just because this skill wheel doesn't match what you think of as being complex doesn't necessarily mean it's not complex. And you can make anything you want. You just can't be everything you want.

For my money that is always the better system.

You could have Single Target Buiilder, AE builder, ST and EF finisher (4 abilities), a charge, a leapback, party buffs, CDs.

In the same game, more buttons does add a dimension of fun. You don't need to press the buttons each and every fight, but having them is more fun and having them can save your butt.

Having more builders, too, allows for more complex rotations too, like the need to mix in different builders.

I'm not trying to hate on the game in this thread, I'm trying to say that this is how they should consider fixing the problem. Many many people don't enjoy TSW's combat. I probably loathe it the worst, and it's such a shame because most games don't have a single quest that are as good as even the least entertaining of TSW's.

I can honestly say I've never looked at my hotbars and said, "This is so fucking sweet that I have 40 skills! Thirty of which I never or hardly use! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Besides you can switch between fights using different abilities or passives. Had players doing it this weekend in Polaris alone - myself included. You have the same concept going on. Just have to be more selective in the abilties you choose. I guess...once again I hardly ever used the bulk of mine in mmos. Seemed to do great anyways. Always boils down to the same patterns of combat in this genre whether it is a single focus or multiple pull when dealing with routine leveling content. Go figure...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

[mod edit]

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    [mod edit]

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Abangyarudo

Oh I get it. You assume because I don't enjoy it, and think that it could be better, I didn't get it?

I get that certain abilities (often via passives) inflict debuffs, or buffs, like slowed down, reduced damage. increased player damage and other abilities (often via passives) exploit those debuffs.

I'm not having any trouble killing anything, I just feel like there's precious little room on my bars for something with a 20s+ cd because of so few spaces.

[mod edit] Being able to use every ability in the game (more options as you call it) is just a cop out and you won't need to put thought into your build. IN TSW putting thought into your build is one of the paramount points of the game. It is making those hard choices and with the other systems in place its also about refining said idea. Also you shouldn't have trouble killing anything at this stage. Only time I've had trouble was going through the enemies that were considered the most elite to my ql level. 

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

You and I are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

To me an elegant solution which provides for deep gameplay without a ton of keybindings is far preferable to a game where you're given 15+ keybindings to work with.  TSW definitely has the number of shortcuts under control, personally i'd have gone 6/6 myself, but close enough.

I much prefer having an engaging realtime experience without having to remember where X command is out of, in some cases, 24+ options (anyone play a warlock in wow?).

You can keep the 0-9,F1-F12 + foot pads, 4+ mouse buttons shortcut 'fun' to yourself lol :).

You can keep the 0-9,F1-F12 + foot pads, 4+ mouse buttons shortcut 'fun' to yourself lol :).

I'm hardly asking for that many.

I'll report my own post in just a second and ask the mods to lock it. Not for any flaming or trolling or anything, because most discussion has been pretty civial (and I have been overly vocal about TSW's shortcomings).

Have fun. Enjoy your game. I'll be done with it when beta ends, but I'll keep an eye out for the improvements to combat that a lot of people are hoping for. (There are also many people saying combat is fine and enjoyable, to be fair.).

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

One of my big pet hates is 'too many skills, not enough toolbar slots to use them'.

Another is having skills that are completely useless after a certain amount of gameplay.

TSW dodges both of these problems in a very compact, well designed and 'simple to use, hard to master' format.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please refrain from attacking the OP and remain on topic here (abilities in TSW).

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Ever play Go?    White tiles.   Black tiles.   19x19 board.   Take turns placing tiles to capture area and opponent tiles.  Simple to learn, takes a life-time to master.   As Go illustrates, simplicity in design can often offer far more complexity than complexity in design that ultimately leads to a paucity of choices because the complexity of the rule-set and options ultimately constrains optimal strategies into a few "win button" scenarios.    In TSW I find the simplicity concept, from limited play,  to be carried-forward, to a great extent, in the skill/combat system.    

Obviously, you don't see it.   I have my doubts you'd be willing to see it based on any further argumentation.   So I will not waste any more of my time.

Instead, I will wish you well with your Quixotic quest to find the next perfect WoW clone.   Where you will, unfortunately, probably be just as unhappy with something else in the game because it's not like the idealized WoW or Rift or SWTOR or what-ever copy-paste skill-tree holy-trinity game you play and hold as the paragon of gaming virtue.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Ever play Go?    White tiles.   Black tiles.   19x19 board.   Take turns placing tiles to capture area and opponent tiles.  Simple to learn, takes a life-time to master.   As Go illustrates, simplicity in design can often offer far more complexity than complexity in design that ultimately leads to a paucity of choices because the complexity of the rule-set and options ultimately constrains optimal strategies into a few "win button" scenarios.    In TSW I find the simplicity concept, from limited play,  to be carried-forward, to a great extent, in the skill/combat system.    

This is my impression after spending significant time in TSW.  My issue is and has always been the animations.  It has nothing to do specifically to the combat or its mechanics.  It has always been the visual representation of that, which they've improved.  I wouldn't say to the point that would make me 100% happy though.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    These games with 40 odd abilities just end up getting macroed to hell anyway.
  • DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by karmath

The system is pretty much Rifts system, just with a wheel rather than a tree.

I really dont know why people seem to not listen/call troll to me and others wo say blantanly obvious things months beforehand, then cry foul at launch or the last marketing beta. 

This I got flamed for speaking the truth, its just a round skill tree nothing innovative at all.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    These games with 40 odd abilities just end up getting macroed to hell anyway.

I disagree.

There was a time up until early wrath when poor macro design did allow rotations to work flawlessly as single macros. The problem was that if an ability wasn't ready, it just went to the next ability on the list.

Still, only bad/lazy players did this. The problem with relying on this is that you sometimes needed to save an ablity for a specific point to silence a boss or pick up adds, etc.

Once they changed it (and glad they did), macroing to a single button or two was inefficient and unreliable. Prot Paladin ended up with 19 abilities, excluding seals, auras, righteous fury, that it used regularly. They didn't ALL need to be used every fight but  you didn't need to worry that having them on your bar was costing a slot for something that might better serve a fight.

Some people, such as protection warriors, did run two nearly identical specs once dual-spec was introduced but these were typically min-maxers to extremes. They went to Lich King or Heroic Gormok with Safeguard Intervene even though they didn't do most fights with it.

Don't mind me, please, for using WoW as an example. I can as easily use FFXI as an example, but at least 20x as many people are familiar with the workings of WoW.

In all my classes, each ability that I wanted to use got an ability in its own spot. Now some of them did also cancel the ability if I pressed it twice, but that was just intelligent. I'll confess that I have tried one button macros and was horrified that people were settling for the inefficiency in favor of laziness.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by DarkDemon69
    Originally posted by karmath

The system is pretty much Rifts system, just with a wheel rather than a tree.

I really dont know why people seem to not listen/call troll to me and others wo say blantanly obvious things months beforehand, then cry foul at launch or the last marketing beta. 

This I got flamed for speaking the truth, its just a round skill tree nothing innovative at all.

Rift had classes. 4 of them.

Really if you can't see how that's different than no classes.. Fuck.

Beyond helping.

It's more like GW and GW2 than anything due to the amount of skills you can actually use at any given time.

.. But in a good way.

Originally posted by jdnyc

This is my impression after spending significant time in TSW.  My issue is and has always been the animations.  It has nothing to do specifically to the combat or its mechanics.  It has always been the visual representation of that, which they've improved.  I wouldn't say to the point that would make me 100% happy though.

Would you say Go is more complex to master than Chess?

Complexity in design doesn't stop immersive gameplay.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Poor animations and character models ruin immersion.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by heartless

Poor animations and character models ruin immersion.

I disagree. UO was for me one of the most immersive games ever, with even the most basic 2D graphics. What UO had and what every mmorpg since then has failed to reproduce was a fantastic online community. Poor communities ruin immersion.

Originally posted by MMOSavant

I disagree. UO was for me one of the most immersive games ever, with even the most basic 2D graphics. What UO had and what every mmorpg since then has failed to reproduce was a fantastic online community. Poor communities ruin immersion.

I think he meant that in today's day and age, poor graphics ruin immersion. I can see that point.

Would you play a game that released today with UO's graphics? I sure wouldn't. Nothing against such a game, but the graphics would say to me that either the studio didn't care or that it is a very small studio and so quality of service would probably be an issue.

I'd say precisely the same thing about FFXI's community that you said about UO's. I think needing to group on the journey (NEEDING to), makes the community be nicer.

I've never played another game like XI, where you just flat had to group.. I've looked (I tried XIV), but I've never found one. I'd give anything to have 2004-08~ XI back.

My best group and server memories come from XI.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

I think he meant that in today's day and age, poor graphics ruin immersion. I can see that point.

Would you play a game that released today with UO's graphics? I sure wouldn't. Nothing against such a game, but the graphics would say to me that either the studio didn't care or that it is a very small studio and so quality of service would probably be an issue.

I'd say precisely the same thing about FFXI's community that you said about UO's. I think needing to group on the journey (NEEDING to), makes the community be nicer.

I've never played another game like XI, where you just flat had to group.. I've looked (I tried XIV), but I've never found one. I'd give anything to have 2004-08~ XI back.

My best group and server memories come from XI.

I would argue that good graphics ruin imagination...Imagination is what made poor graphic and no graphic RPG games so great.

Originally posted by Crunchy221

I would argue that good graphics ruin imagination...Imagination is what made poor graphic and no graphic RPG games so great.

I mean... I don't know that I agree with that.

I enjoy Terminator 2 nearly as much as I enjoy The Avengers. I enjoy Jurassic Park just as much.

I enjoy Toy Story as much as I enjoyed Cars..

I can agree though that some studios, movies and games, have slacked on story because they thought the lustrous appeal would keep players hooked (Hi Tera). Some games have definitely thought graphics would be all that mattered (Hi FFXIV).

But other games have done really well, using superior graphics as an asset and not the core of their existence.