Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So lets talk about this GW2 game

13»

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzY

Civil? You mean the same yap yap butthurt fanboi responces everytime someone says a negative thing about GW2? OH you don't like GW2, must be something WRONG with you.

In this thread? 

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by joker007mo

was not aware of that feature but still would have been nice to have a little more starter inventory

Yep just right click on any materials and you will get that option. There is a separate tab on your bank which contains all your materials, they don't take regular space at all. Salvage kits can be used to turn useless items into materials as well, so overall inventory management isn't very hard. You can also "mail" items from wherever you are (no need to keep them if you want to give them to one of your friends)

Of course when you first start a character, inventory space does seem limited, especially if you want to try all different weapon combinations, all those weapons take lots of space.

PS: What we need is the ability to use those materials directly from the bank, when crafting ;)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I have to say I don't understand why people get so defensive when anyone brings up an opinion that differs from 'GW2 IS AMAZING'. Does it really matter to you if I enjoy the game or not!?

Oh no it doesn't matter at all. I only assumed since you didn't like GW2 (or TERA/TSW) that you might want to try something entirely different like PS2 and Archeage.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by seridan

At the moment, I'm just waiting for something better to come along... Could be waiting a long time.

The "definition" of better varies from person to person. For many people Guild Wars 2 IS the best MMO at the moment (for a themepark at least). You obviously want something different from an MMO, maybe you could try looking at Archeage or Planetside 2 which offer something completely different to Guild Wars 2

Or maybe you could grab some of the guys hating on gw2 from this forum and try to make your own mmorpg? Indie companies are the bread and butter of today :)

"If you don't get what you want then do it yourself!" <-- a very wise man said that long ago

Actually I'm quite serious here..instead of bitching endlessly that the market doesn't have a spot for you, you could do something productive -_- and try to solve it yourself

Oh and btw define "something better" please?

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Reskaillev

At the moment, I'm just waiting for something better to come along... Could be waiting a long time.

The "definition" of better varies from person to person. For many people Guild Wars 2 IS the best MMO at the moment (for a themepark at least). You obviously want something different from an MMO, maybe you could try looking at Archeage or Planetside 2 which offer something completely different to Guild Wars 2

Or maybe you could grab some of the guys hating on gw2 from this forum and try to make your own mmorpg? Indie companies are the bread and butter of today :)

"If you don't get what you want then do it yourself!" <-- a very wise man said that long ago

Actually I'm quite serious here..instead of bitching endlessly that the market doesn't have a spot for you, you could do something productive -_- and try to solve it yourself

I have actually thought hard about working on indie projects in the past, but I don't think you realize how difficult that actually is. The MMORPG community is incredibly unforgiving and it is pretty much impossible to please them without major financial backing and serious development resources. Even then, many people will trash your hard work without a second thought. Just look at some of the indie MMORPGs that have released in the last five years. Most of them are dead or dying and the community who supposedly supports them couldn't give a rat's ass.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the only thing that matters to me is whether or not I have fun playing a game. I have been able to have fun playing many different MMOs and many other types of games. I don't have any ONE definition of what a better game is... only that it is more fun, for me, than GW2 has been so far. I just personally found the two beta weekends to be very underwhelming. Does that mean I won't enjoy the game once it is released? No. I may have a completely different opinion at that point in time and, like I said, I will keep an open mind and give it a try.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Saydien

If there is one thing the recent hype failures have taught us then it is to not rush into buying games based on what the press features or what others claim. I've seen people having very mixed reactions about GW2, mostly because it just is overhyped and bears a high risk to not fulfill those high expectations for everyone.

Unless you are someone of the mindset "no sub fee, bet I'll get the 50-60 € money's worth out of the game in some way anyway" I'd also suggest you to play one of the beta weekends somehow before actually purchasing the game.

I have an MMO development observation.   I can't test it, so it's just an observation.  But this is how it seems to me:

Early MMOs -- by gamers, for gamers (with a profit motivation, but game first).   Lots of great games that grew for years and years, some with hundreds of thousands of subs (CoH, FFXI, Eve, EQ, EQ2) or even millions of subs (Lineage, Lineage II, Runecape (yes Runescape), Guild Wars 1).   Yet, in all this, WoW captures and holds onto an unprecedented share of the market.

Next development cycle -- post-WoW:   MBAs and marketers see huge WoW profits!!!    Start funding knock-offs and making them as fast (and badly) as possible.   Hence massive failures and a series of crash-burn-and-die MMOs.   The same cycles we've been through with CRPGs, shooters, adventure games, flight sims, combat games, etc....   For example, Myst sells a ton of game, two years later the market is full of crappy pixel hunts.   DOOM is cool, next thing we have is a few more good shooters and a TON OF CRAP.   In all these cases, the market crashed under the weight of saturation and bad products, was dead for a long-time, then was revitalized as developers started to innovate or at least just make quality games instead of cheap knock-offs.

Anyway, back to MMOs.  Most of them, I think were cheap knock-offs and cash-grabs.   They COULD have been better, but they weren't because they weren't focused on being great, complete games.   They were focused on grabbing a share of the pie and too many were either incomplete or tried to capture WoW's 'magic' and failed.   So, yes, sadly, a lot of bad, half-complete WoW clones were dropped on the market.   And if you're going to clone WoW, you have to offer EVERYTHING WoW has, because otherwise it's 'been there, done that, Wow does it better...."     And I think this trend culminated with the mass blow-up of SWTOR.   There may be a few more like that in the pipeline.  But I think SWTOR put a huge nail in the coffin of WoW knock-offs and 'WoW killers."   In fact, I see an irony in all this.  BioWare helped to revitalize the fantasy-type CRPG market with BG. It had been pretty dead for a while. Lots of bad games and little worthwhile being released.  Now, 14 years later, they're helping to drive a stake into the heart of the WoW clone by failing epically with SWTOR.

So while there is some use in your warning, I think we're getting to a new wave of MMOs and GW2 is part of it.   This is, in many respects, a throwback to pre-WoW and is a game for gamers by gamers (for profit) and not a game designed by MBAs and marketers to fit into the 'Cash Cow" box on a BCG matrix with an IRR of 500%.   And I think some other games in development are going that way.    I think with all the cash-grab and WoW-knock-off failures, we're going to see far fewer WoW-clones/cash-grabs and some smarter MMO development.   

And I think this game is one of them.   Whatever it is, like it or not, it's not yet-another-WoW-clone.  So I don't see where I have to be so closed minded to not own the game.   I think games should be evaluated on both a case-by-case basis and filtered throug the history of, and in context in, what the developer has done in other games and if they're (appearing to) learning from past mistakes.

I see no particular red flags.   I enjoyed GW1.  It was a lot of fun.   This game is far better.   I have no reason, based on ANet history, to believe this won't be a well done game.   Each campaign in GW1 was excellent and well done.   Eye of the North was well done.   The beta, so far, has been well done.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzY
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by Anubisan I have to say I don't understand why people get so defensive when anyone brings up an opinion that differs from 'GW2 IS AMAZING'. Does it really matter to you if I enjoy the game or not!?
    Did we appear that defensive to you? I thought this thread was pretty civil so far.

Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzYBecause you just insulted their life and reason for living.
    That's not really helping -_-

Civil? You mean the same yap yap butthurt fanboi responces everytime someone says a negative thing about GW2? OH you don't like GW2, must be something WRONG with you.

Nobody cares if you don't like the game.    Honestly.  

What people seem to care about is addressing lies.   They also seem to care about addressing matters of taste presented as facts instead of opinions.   Another is clearing up the constant prattle of posts from people who clearly haven't played the game and are making their arguments based on old YouTube clips or some such.

Here's one:  "There's not enough XP!!!   ANET FAILS!!! "   There is more experience to be had in each zone than necessary to hit all the recommneded levels in a zone.   There are HUNDREDS of posts from people who want the XP system to be like the WoW Quest Hub system and flame the develoers or anyone who bothers to respond to them that the issue is their choices in how they play the game.

Some get so tired of it they do stuff like:  pandas ---->    And, honestly, I'm getting to that point myself.   There's nothing particularly wrong in the technical aspects.   The game design is fine and it works if you can be bothered to experience it...   All that's left is dealing with made-up-issues and aestheitcs.

• oarkingoarking Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Reskaillev

I have actually thought hard about working on indie projects in the past, but I don't think you realize how difficult that actually is. The MMORPG community is incredibly unforgiving and it is pretty much impossible to please them without major financial backing and serious development resources. Even then, many people will trash your hard work without a second thought. Just look at some of the indie MMORPGs that have released in the last five years. Most of them are dead or dying and the community who supposedly supports them couldn't give a rat's ass.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the only thing that matters to me is whether or not I have fun playing a game. I have been able to have fun playing many different MMOs and many other types of games. I don't have any ONE definition of what a better game is... only that it is more fun, for me, than GW2 has been so far. I just personally found the two beta weekends to be very underwhelming. Does that mean I won't enjoy the game once it is released? No. I may have a completely different opinion at that point in time and, like I said, I will keep an open mind and give it a try.

i completely disagree. you may be referring to a casual mmo players, but there are millions of us who would overlook the lack of "major financial backing" and "serious development resources" just to be able to play a good game. take a closer look at those failing mmorpgs and you'll see the same material copy and pasted, generic anime, point and click auto attacks, unabashedly identical storylines, generic classes and levelling system, confusing and overpriced payment systems, and on-rails gameplay.

there are tons of great indie games out there that are doing pretty well for themselves and have been for a couple years at least. no they're not facing constant server crashes due to the double digit millions trying to connect all at once. they've got a solid userbase of a few hundred to hundreds of thousands who log in more often and play longer than the big studio games.

i've been saying for years, if someone made a new game based on pre-cu swg people would be frothing at the mouth to play it. not only was the class system completely open, if you wanted to buy weapons or clothes you had to find someone to make them first, off world travel, immense crafting system, and it took months to become a jedi. games these days don't take effort, you get your hand held and hugged if you die. you know why eve online is doing so well? because it requires effort.

people want a good game, it's almost like they're desperate. minecraft made over $33 million, grim dawn made over $500k, wasteland 2 made $3 million. you don't need a studio behind you, you need a good game.

and most importantly who cares about killing WoW? no one except sensalionalist journalism and trolls. make a good game that people actually want to play and if it doesn't topple WoW? boo fucking hoo better shut the servers down and refund everyone!

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I am not here to convince anyone to like the game. Try to get a key for a BWE and give it a try yourself. All I can say, is go into the game with an open mind, don't expect some WoW clone/quest hub grind fest. Explore the world and see what you find.

Personally, the game is just downright a blast to play. I can login and have zero direction or goals in mind, and find myself distracted and having fun for 2-3 hours just doing DE's and exploring. There are jump puzzles, there is crafting, there are hidden rewards in all sorts of nooks and cranies around the world, there is SPvP, there is WvWvW, there are dynamic events, there is a personal story. There is just so much to do.

The most boring part of the game, I think, are the golden hearts. These are meant to guide people to level specific areas where dynamic events happen. I think many people, including myself, went to these hearts, completed them, and left. These are not the main content in the game. The orange dynamic events are where the fun is.

Personally, I hope they crank up the frequency of the dynamic events so they can be a bigger part of the leveling and exploring experience ... especially in the zones with less population.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Unfortunately neither of them really float my boat either.

Yeah, that looks like a long wait. What else is there on the horizon?

Archage, Elder Scrolls Online, Neverwinter. None of those have a release window anytime soon, right?

After playing the BWE's and feeling the same way. I am waiting for Final Fantasy XIV 2.0. It seems like Square Enix is really getting their act together. I will play GW2 until that releases since I have purchased it.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

any comment that say GW2 is similar to WoW dont even bother to read. this game is like 80-90% diferent from any WoW base game and that is the reason why lot of people like the game.

i play WoW and LOTRO (very very similar to WoW) for long time and GW2 have nothing to do with both, except they are fantasy MMORPG. 

try to win a beta key and try yourself the game. GW2 have some inovations but most are evolutions from other MMORPG and that is amazing.

• oarkingoarking Member UncommonPosts: 7

personally i think gw2 is doing alot of things right and fortunately i can overlook the shortcomings. the dynamic events quest system is refreshing, it plays more like an actual game like elder scrolls. the dynamic world events are great too, not many people got to experience it (due to there being so many online) but the norn camp got overrun by the sons of svanir which means that the npcs who once sold and repaired your equipment were all dead. it took a group of about a dozen players to push the enemy out of the camp then, slowly, the npcs returned to their routine. but most importantly to me is no subs, i'll gladly pay full price for the game but don't then ask for $15/month. i haven't found a game yet (non mmos included) that i'd be willing to pay almost $200 a year to play. free to play is a great model and i'm glad that companies are starting to realize that. for a game of gw2's status to launch f2p, that gets my vote.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Meleagar

There are a lot of players who will not see GW2 as anything special because of their powergaming playstyle.  Being a powergamer is fine, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with it.  However, if you're used to basically powerleveling to to max level and then grinding end-game content like elite dungeons and raids, or PvP, for exclusive, superior rewards (elite stat gear, increased attributes, crafting materials, etc.) that make a significant difference in the power of your character, then you're probably not going to understand the appeal of GW2. In fact, you're probably going to be baffled as to why anyone would want to play it, considering it offers no such exclusive, superior rewards (in terms of character power) for powergamers, regardless of how much time they invest in the game.

What you may not be aware of is that there are a lot of players who play MMOGs for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with min-maxing gear and skill trees, gaining a professional understanding of the game and their class role, and getting to the end game.  Many of them don't have more than 5-20 hours a week to invest in any MMOGs, and certainly cannot sit for hours at a time multiple times a week to accomplish elite content and get elite rewards.  Many of them are true RPGers, immersing themselves in the game's story and lore.  Others just enjoy escaping real life for an hour or two at a time and want to kick back and relax in an online virtual fantasy world. Some just like playing around with different characters and rarely get any character up to max level.  For a lot of us, it maight take a year or more to get a character to max level - because we're really not even trying to do that.

For these and other reasons, GW2 is the most amazing MMOG ever (outside of, perhaps, GW1, which I never played), because the core design philosophy is one of celebrating and empowering those kinds of players - the ones that virtually never got to go on raids or visit elite areas or loot the big chest at the end of the fight.  It allows casual players to be part of raid and elite-quality content via dynamic events. Anet has put incredible, loving detail and depth into areas of the game that, in most other games, are just scrub areas you rush through on the way to elite content at max level.  They reward explorers and those who investigate story and lore.  They've designed core mechanics to foster a friendlier social contract between players, as you cannot kill steal, bogart resource nodes, or grief other players.  Casuals cannot be excluded from "grouping" because formal grouping is not required for them to be part of group events, even in PvP (WvWvW).  Casuals have access to the best gear (stat-wise) in the game; powergamers might get prettier gear, or have a neat title, but they do not have access to materially superior rewards, so casuals are equally empowered by the game structure of GW2.

So,while GW2 may be a big pile of "so what?" for many players, and understandably so, for many others it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Very well put.  I agree with you, apart from my dislike of the label "casual".  Although I understand why people use it, I (being rather pedantic) don't think of a "casual" approach to gaming as being the opposite of what might be levelled "powergaming" (don't like that label either.  Don't like any labels, actually, but I digress). 

I would describe my own approach to gaming as "relaxed" rather than "casual" and I'm not sure what word I would use for "powergaming" (addicted, maybe :p).

Other than that, I think you summed up precisely what I have been longing for in a game and, after waiting for 5+ years now for GW2 to release, and having played the betas thus far, I am still hopeful that this mmo will satisfy my various gaming needs for a good while.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Gitsnik

Greetings, ill start by being frankly and say I have no idea if there are any posts like this already and i dont care either, this is me asking you people out there.

A little bit about myself: nerd ive played beta / rl versions of nearly everything from UO to Horizons to Secret world and whatever F2P out there as well, I am not a hater of GW 2 and I am not a fan either.

I have watched char creation videos, game play videos, been on sites been on forums been standing in a Gamestop shop listning to the seller for an hour while he told me just how awesome the game is and what you can do in it, and still i fully fail to understand the hype of the game. so heres the question for all of you: Why is this game so good? what makes the game tick for you? I want a real explanation to it, not just "because pvp is awesome" give me some ideas to why this game should be something i rush out and buy thinking AWESOME cant wait to play this. and bear in mind this is not supposed to be a flamewar post, this is simply me asking you guys fan or not what makes this game tick for you people as i dont see it myself.

regards from the Git

Been in the same boat.  ...all the friends I played both weekends just keep raving about it and I really can't relate.  The only thing I'm really really enjoying about it so far is that it DOESN'T feel like an MMORPG and that it still kinda feels like Guild-wars-1 with faster movement/combat.  If you prefer achievement to exploring than this might not be for you.

• Brent17Brent17 Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Very poor MMO on thing good so far is the WvW and sPvP but even that is looking more and more to be just zerging. Nothing like DAoC PvP yet. Really a boring game to play in BWE2 felt like playing WOW in PvE and PvP was just ranged AOE zergs! Of course the game is far from launch yet even though others like to think it should launch as is...LOL!

It's post like these that I really don't understand, almost as if we were playing a completely different game. Anyway everyone has their opinions even they are vastly different to the majority who actually played the game.

Btw the game is very close to launch. Almost finished (if the higher level zones are as ready as the zones we've seen so far

It's because he is a fan of some other game (from his post history) so he is threatened by GW2 and decides to troll here.

I love GW2 from what I have played, and it IS a true mmorpg. It's also far more complete than most mmorpg games that come out.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Loke666

* Exploration (you remember that, right? 10 years since i saw it last)

* Requires quick thinking (no spamming same keys in the same order while standing still)

* Does not feel like M59/EQ/WOW

* Actually well programmed engine 

* Your skill matters more than gear

* Guilds can control places in the mists and gets reward for holding them along time

I been playing a lot of games as well, started M59 over a year before UO launched. GW2 is good and at least worth testing, few MMOs comes out that is so well made. 

But if you are unsure, don't buy it before trying it. There will be a free weekend before launch, test it and see what you think. Then you have nothing to loose besides a few hours and some bandwidth.

evrything need to know is above mi comment ,cant say better

• Brent17Brent17 Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Dfix

For me, playing GW2 has brought back a feeeling that I have not felt in a game since my first MMO. Now, I'm not the most veteran gamer out there. I started to play MMOs in 2003 with the release of FFXI. As a lot of people know FFXI is a grindfest but for me no other game out there has come close to it, until now.I have played a lot of MMOs in the past 9 years or so including Aion, Rift, GW1, WoW, FFXIV, FFXI, DAoC, and WAR. GW2 has been the only game to give me back that feeling I got playing FFXI. It's a hard to explain feeling, some fear, some happiness and also some feeling of the unknown. Some people love the game and other hate it. The best thing for you to do would be either get a beta key or buy it and play the beta. Most you'll lose is 60 bucks and who has not wasted 60 bucks on a crappy console game before?

I totally agree with this. I had the same experience.

I've just started blocking the troll posters because I'm sick of their posts. Usually they are the ones who refer to the game as "over hyped"... When the truth is, there is no hype going on, it's fact.