Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a game without PVP

2»

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I don't strictly play PVE, but I do much prefer it. I have fun in BGs and other zone-pvp events, but most of the time I'd rather be smashing npc-face.

I've played many games where the PVP resulted in PVE nerfs, not because abilities were OP against the bosses the devs balance it against, but because players couldn't kill a tank, or healer, or because they could one shot each other.

I've been in at least four major betas that nerfed the abilities before the game event went live, caving to "I can't kill this tank" or "DPS are one-shotting me" and while their $15/mo is just as worthy as mine, I'd like a game that focused on my tastes.

I don't mind duels, in fact, I enjoy them too, but I think that it starts a slippery slope. Duels inspire people to want more pvp content. and start a snowball of people being upset because the tank takes their hit like... well.. a tank. Tanks upset that they can't kill anything, and glass cannons being upset because if you smack a glass cannon, they die.

Flame on.

Guild Wars 2. The PvE and PvP are completely separated. You can't attack other players in PvE, period. As a matter of fact, the PvE world is cooperative... gathering nodes are there for everyone so no one can "steal" your node, there's not mob-tagging... everyone that contributes gets full experience and loot, etc. It sounds exactly like what you're looking for, and it works great in practice so far.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I think it's important to remember that tthere will always be conflicts between the needs of interest between different playstyles and PvP-vs-PvE is just an extreme example.  

I tend to be more concerned about the sniping that happens between the subcultures of the player community than the effect on the mechanics.  I actually find I enjoy mechanics more when developers are forced into odd contortions of trying to please everyone.