Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: Closed Beta, America Bound, & Siege Warfare

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArcheAge is one of those games that has gathered an impressive number of fans as it slowly makes its way into the MMO space. During this year's E3, we had the opportunity to chat with Suk Woo Choi to talk about all things ArcheAge. You won't want to miss this one so keep reading!

When I sat down to lunch with XLGames’ Suk Woo Choi away from the hustle and bustle of E3 this year, I didn’t know what to expect. Color me a rube, but I’ve never done a translated interview before. If you can believe it, I’ve only been at this business for a few years now, and almost all of my appointments have been with EU or NA-based developers. I was worried that I might say something to offend the man who’s leading ArcheAge’s business side, a game that our readers are mightily anticipating with the kind of thirst for info that is usually reserved for titles that actually have a North American publisher and localization team. But as I quickly learned, just as ArcheAge is reaching across borders to entice fans in North America before they even have a publisher ready in this region, Suk Woo Choi is the kind of guy who loves a good steak and loves to talk about games (even when through a translator, who did an amazing job).

Read more of Bill Murphy's ArcheAge: Closed Beta, America Bound, & Siege Warfare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TularkTulark Member Posts: 15

Please, do not 'westernize' this!!

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

omg...did he really say 2014....It's common knowledge that Earth will no longer exist then!  Why! Why can't he do it now!

Here is what I don't get:  Why, when it launches in Korea - can't Us Westerners simply buy a digital copy or something like that and play it?  Just curious, serious question..

I understand all the text will be in Korean, but, other then that...?
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Come on over! We'd love to have you ArcheAge! :)

Joined - July 2004

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Lets do this!

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

ArcheAge will launch at the end of this year in Korea, and the goal is to launch it in North America towards the end of 2013, or the beginning of 2014. Once we have a publisher set and the game’s launched in Korea, things will be clearer for the US.

lol  keep waitng  2 more years ,im not suprise it alwais happen like that when kor game are make  and like alwasi after a year is release in NA and  last for 1 and halh year and become f2p like all KOR game .. kor mmo alwais the same pss

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

2 years....great, another very long dev time...really wish these companies would NOT mention their game until it's like 6 months away from launch.  Tough with an international game I know but even still, I hate waiting, especially with how the world is going...I highly doubt I'll ever see this game.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

2013/2014

o.O

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Tulark

I wish.. you'd think they could at least give us a non-westernized server, or something like that, with no changes other than some basic subtitles and UI trnaslation.

As for the wait.. I don't even know how to express my frustration.  Might as well say it's not coming out ever, for all I care about what comes out two years from now.   Guess this is why they don't even bother bringing most games to the west.  Why the hell can't they just stop region locking them.  I'd probably even learn some Korean after a while..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I believe he said they would only westernize, or alter features, at the behest of teh eventual publisher....and the players, should they demand such a thing. The publisher would strike before its american release, so i guess that means blame the publisher for any eventual alterations to its current configuration, beyond localization, of course.

After that, they will consider altering the game, should the player-base demand it, which is reasonable.

Interesting read.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

WTF is it gonna come up in EU i see only mention of NA ???

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Hard to put on the radar so far out, but definitely exciting news.

From what I've seen of gameplay/combat videos in the Kor CBT's combat is certainly my #1 concern, with games like GW2 and NW and TERA focusing on more active combat, I don't think tab target/hotbar is going to fly in NA/EU in 2013/14.

When talking about Westernization of features/systems he mentioned combat so hopefully they are on the same page.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Hard to put on the radar so far out, but definitely exciting news.

From what I've seen of gameplay/combat videos in the Kor CBT's combat is certainly my #1 concern, with games like GW2 and NW and TERA focusing on more active combat, I don't think tab target/hotbar is going to fly in NA/EU in 2013/14.

When talking about Westernization of features/systems he mentioned combat so hopefully they are on the same page.

I would not hope that they somehow rewrite whole combat system of a game and modify all other systems that are connected to it (and actually most are, itemization, loot system, hell networking proapbly, etc).

Not to mention remaking most of combat animations and that is extremly expensive.

So some changes - yes.

Big change into dynamic combat with all skills 'cast in move', etc - don't think that is realistic.

If you hope for that you might be disappointed imo.

Well on the other hand I don't mind traditional combat system if it is made right. (for howto see Lotro - just speed it up a bit).

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

My biggest concern is if western (espeially EU since I am in EU) publisher will offer some pure P2P servers.

F2P / freemium is obviously 'hot thing' right now and it does not go anywhere.

Still I would like to have OPTION to play on pure P2P server without cash shop and I am ready to pay bit of premium for that. Like let's say up to 20$ for subscription.

So those who want to play on would play on f2p or freemium or whatever server there will be, and those who want no-CS , no-microtransaction  would have their place too.

I could not force myself to play even just partially sandbox game with CS :(
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Two years is so long.  It would be nice if we could play on their servers, as long as the ping was not prohibitive.

I hope the NA publishers, whoever they will be, do not ruin this game.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Thanks for the interview, been excited about Archeage since I first learned of it last year around CB2.  Sad to hear it is so far off from reaching our western shores, but I know the wait will be worth it!  More time to fully enjoy TSW (or GW2 if you into that sort of thing).

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61

yeah two years out, that's not on my radar. i guess we should expect it around the time WOW is getting ready for the Emerald Dream....

• sofus12345sofus12345 Member Posts: 10
    Agree, pse dont westernize.
    One of the great things in mmo's is able to explore other cultures either its RL or ingame.
    Could be a few western gamecharacters to choose though.
    regards

Originally posted by Tulark

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

can't wait. Have to learn Korean now :(

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

waiting until 2014 is really hard to understand. Can't wait for this game

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'd have thought most of you would have been used to it by now, we always seem to be waiting for a couple of years for the next MMO.

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Grotar89

WTF is it gonna come up in EU i see only mention of NA ???

There was a little mention right at the end:

Suk Woo Choi: He can’t wait to hear how the NA and EU regions will react, which hopefully won’t be too long from now!

like they already say kor release might be end of 2013 and na would be Q2 of 2014 and like all KOR game in NA not going to be new and KOR game never shine in NA

ArcheAge will launch at the end of this year in Korea, and the goal is to launch it in North America towards the end of 2013, or the beginning of 2014. Once we have a publisher set and the game’s launched in Korea, things will be clearer for the US.

to be more specific

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Bring it. NAO!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by elocke

2 years....great, another very long dev time...really wish these companies would NOT mention their game until it's like 6 months away from launch.  Tough with an international game I know but even still, I hate waiting, especially with how the world is going...I highly doubt I'll ever see this game.

Same here.