Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, do you think they will pull an AoC release ?

2»

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Abye At release AoC had a great starting area and after that there was barely anything. Now in the TSW beta, you get a fantastic first zone, second zone already doesn't seem to have the same amount of polish the first one had. How do you feel  that Funcom will do any better ?
    really?  i thought savage coast was a ton better than kingsmouth
    Me too and thats saying alot becasue Kingmouth was what drew me in the game the first place.  I heard through the grapevine that Egypt is amazing too.  So no I dont believe it will pull another Tortage.

Same here. Kingsmouth hooked me. Then I went to Savage Coast and was blown away. I think Funcom is finally going to launch a solid mmo.

I really hope so, for FunCom's sake. They seem like they've always had neat ideas, but lacked in the delivery department a bit (at least initially and then fixed things later on). I am still debating whether to download and play for the beta weekend (not sure if I want yet another mmo tugging at me if I wind up loving it). I also have to give FunCom respect for going with a setting that we really haven't seen in the mmo genre before.

Decisions, decisions.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The next beta is pvp only, so sorry you missed your chance.

From what i understand tsw is more pvp than Aoc (as Aoc is now), but Aoc is a heavy pve game, its very dungeon orientated.

Tsw from what I'm told and well just looking at the society wide pvp buffs is more a mix pve / pvp game, less pvp than say gw2 but not some 99% pve game with token pvp like some elements of the tsw fan base like to point out. Simmilar pve / pvp balance to say wow, but more integrated as they don't have stupid different item sets or stats and pvp influences the pve world.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The next beta is pvp only, so sorry you missed your chance.

From what i understand tsw is more pvp than Aoc (as Aoc is now), but Aoc is a heavy pve game, its very dungeon orientated.

Tsw from what I'm told and well just looking at the society wide pvp buffs is more a mix pve / pvp game, less pvp than say gw2 but not some 99% pve game with token pvp like some elements of the tsw fan base like to point out. Simmilar pve / pvp balance to say wow, but more integrated as they don't have stupid different item sets or stats and pvp influences the pve world.

umm no its not here is right from the beta 4 email

In addition to all these exciting, new player vs. player experiences, all content from the previous Beta Weekends will be available. Your character progress from previous Beta Weekends carries over to this event, so you can continue your adventures in Kingsmouth, The Savage Coast, The Polaris and Hell Raised! You can also visit London, New York and Seoul to enjoy the Templar, Illuminati and Dragon starter experiences.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

The only gripe I have about TSW is how repetitive the mobs are on Solomons Island. Atleast from kingsmouths weird looking crusted zombies by the sea, and any zombies really - you are introduced to the same, feathered with some specters and weird looking winged tarantulas. In the Bluemountains, the first thing you do, is fight more of these feathered tarantulas, unless you fell off the road down to the beach, where you'll hang out with your good old crusty zombies and incubators. 

It feels repetitive, eventho it isnt quest wise. There is a lot of diversity in the questing area, but the landscape and the feel of the monsters is monotonous. - What I dont like about Solomons island is that I have to play through this area for every alt I make. I dont understand why we dont have more starter-type areas. 

Having said that; I will probably purchase TSW, but I wont be doing so at launch. I made a promise to myself with AoC, and so Ill wait a few weeks untill you all have raged about various launch issues, and then Ill have smooth sailing by the time I play :P

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Nilenya
    The only gripe I have about TSW is how repetitive the mobs are on Solomons Island. Atleast from kingsmouths weird looking crusted zombies by the sea, and any zombies really - you are introduced to the same, feathered with some specters and weird looking winged tarantulas. In the Bluemountains, the first thing you do, is fight more of these feathered tarantulas, unless you fell off the road down to the beach, where you'll hang out with your good old crusty zombies and incubators. 

It feels repetitive, eventho it isnt quest wise. There is a lot of diversity in the questing area, but the landscape and the feel of the monsters is monotonous. - What I dont like about Solomons island is that I have to play through this area for every alt I make. I dont understand why we dont have more starter-type areas. 

Having said that; I will probably purchase TSW, but I wont be doing so at launch. I made a promise to myself with AoC, and so Ill wait a few weeks untill you all have raged about various launch issues, and then Ill have smooth sailing by the time I play :P

Look at it this way, you wont see much variation in one themed place, but you won't see crusty zombies in later zones either. You wont see that lvl 4 hamster of doom, increased to lvl 40 with red eye tint in the last zones. If a zone has the theme they have their specific monster type.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

No, its not perfect, but its in a way better state than Aoc.

This ^^

Server stability and population issues are the only things I would be worried about regarding release. I would also advise being ready to turn off nearly all chat channels because if it's anything like the weekend beta was then about half the server is going to be begging for solutions to the quests.

Imagine if 2/3 or so of the quests were more complex than finding Mankrik's wife and half the people playing "don't buy video games to think."

Yet another reason I'll wait until the natural population drop-off to buy.

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

I don't think the game will launch with all those unfinished zones that AoC had. They've said that they had different teams working on different zones, not one on all of them that could then run out of time halfway through.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Abye

At release AoC had a great starting area and after that there was barely anything. Now in the TSW beta, you get a fantastic first zone, second zone already doesn't seem to have the same amount of polish the first one had. How do you feel  that Funcom will do any better ?

I really wasn't nearly that impressed by AoC's starting area. 

I don't believe you played to the end then. Tortage was an amazing experience and the best starting zone of any mmorpg ever.

• RattsRatts Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by MMOSavant
    Originally posted by MosesZD

I really wasn't nearly that impressed by AoC's starting area. 

I don't believe you played to the end then. Tortage was an amazing experience and the best starting zone of any mmorpg ever.

No doubt.  I still remember the time I ran off an exploding volcano surrounded by a slave army sparking up like matchsticks.  This after I had corrupted a magic ritual by replacing virgin's blood with a streetwalker's.

I did kill 10 rats on the way, but they had it coming.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

You mean apart from the rudimentary character creator and the sub standard, wooden character animations?

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

You mean apart from the rudimentary character creator and the sub standard, wooden character animations?

CC is (and has been previously) updated and the animations are fine to me. Not glamorous but not bad. But they're being worked on regardless.

.. But in a good way.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Abye

At release AoC had a great starting area and after that there was barely anything. Now in the TSW beta, you get a fantastic first zone, second zone already doesn't seem to have the same amount of polish the first one had. How do you feel  that Funcom will do any better ?

In Age of Conan one of the issues was having 80 levels, if age of Conan had 60 levels then there would have been enough content.  Open beta three let you play a quarter of the game's content so that would be the equivalent of age of conan's level 35 +/- 5 or Tortage and two, give or take some, of the 20-40 zones.  I would imagine time/content wise both games are about equal.

I will give the benifit of the doubt and say TSW's quest will be more polished as it got special attention over age of conan's combat and graphics.  When it comes to polish, both games have many of the same quality assurance issues, bugs, balance, glitches, and basic mechanics issues.  This game seems to be releasing about 6mos-1year early after experimenting in open beta - IE playing with tons of banked SP in the dojo, many skills are repeats and most are junk but the vast majority are underwhelming +5% to this or that.  Though I'm sure it will suffer the same fate as Age of Conan and the very similar in content style MMO SWTOR, in that once people finish the 8 zones at release, they posts on a form how bored they are then quit. TSW won't have raids at release and the PvP is similar to SWTOR's release but with less developed combat.

Summary: TSW has many of the same issues but because the focus switched the issues will be in diffrent areas, Age of Conan polished animations and the world graphics, while the secret world polished quests.