Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

THEY.STOLE.MY.NAME! *mad*

ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member

God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

I was Akim TelBane in SWG for 7 frigging years.

I was Akim TelBane in EQ2 for 6 years.

I was Akim TelBane in LOTRO for 3 years.

And they TOOK THE NAME FROM ME.

 

I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

«134

Comments

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

    Ummmm, I thought you gave up on TOR a long time ago. You flip/flop more than anyone I've ever met.

     

     

     

     

    Oh, yeah. Sorry to hear about the names. That does suck. When DCUO went to merged servers, I resubbed just so I wouldn't lose my name.

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • CcDohlCcDohl Atlanta, GAPosts: 65Member

    Aryan? Wow.

     

    Other than that, I know that feel bro.

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

    [mod edit]

    NO NO NO NO NO!

    This is NOT negotiable!

    This is NOT arbitrary!

     

    ...

     

    If you name is John, and suddenly you are forced to be called Jim, would you not be upset?

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • Iced0verIced0ver Sauk Rapids, MNPosts: 49Member

    I'm sorry for your loss. You have my condolences. Will you be serving refreshments?

    Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a bummer. I go by the name "King Icewind" for 7 years now, but many times it's taken or just unavailable, which means I resort to my name on here. Oh, and I use Clementine if I am playing a girl toon haha, but that one is more often then not taken, so have to snag that one up right at launch.

    Anyways, time for some new creativity! :)

  • Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver North Richland Hills, TXPosts: 270Member

    Honestly I see where you are coming from and that's a little ridiculous.

  • udonudon Durham, NCPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon

    Did they ever spell out how duplicate names where being hanled because I never saw anything?

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by CcDohl

    Aryan? Wow.

     

    Other than that, I know that feel bro.

    Darth Aryan the Sith Lord, come on admit it: it's cool!

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • xmentyxmenty SingaporePosts: 679Member

    Awww sorry to hear about that Eli.

     

    Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member

    Naming conventions in MMORPGs have to change.

    The Secret World has instituted the best new system so far.

    First "NIckname" Last.

    Allows people to have the same first and last names. But requires a unique Nickname.

    Its very effective.

  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member

    I've done char transfers sometimes, and lost my char name. Someone had it on the destination realm. Nothing cant be done about it, deal with it, or if it's a deal breaker I guess then you'll just have to quit, but there's no reason to make a post about it unless for venting purposes only. I'm not, and you arent either, someone who will or should get special treatment in situations like this, that's just how it goes and how it can go.

     

    I'm sorry you lost your char names though, I really am, it pisses me too when it happens, but it is what it is.

     

    Edit: Would be nice to have naming system like Cujo above me mentioned for TSW, I dont like to run around with "same" name with someone else around but at least I get to pick the name I want!

  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

    Naming conventions in MMORPGs have to change.

    The Secret World has instituted the best new system so far.

    First "NIckname" Last.

    Allows people to have the same first and last names. But requires a unique Nickname.

    Its very effective.

    Its not a new system. Funcom did that before with Anarchy Online

    Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 DublinPosts: 971Member

    Really? I thought you'd quit? 

    Names aren't that important TBH. At least you have Elikal, and I'd assume that's the most important one. 

    You could be worse off - there's a bunch of us stuck on life-support on Lord Calypho, pop plummeted and we have no transfers because BioWare seemingly don't know what to do with the EU RP-PvP servers. Massive thread on the forums about it. 

    So, you lost your name, that sucks a bit; BUT at least you have other players to play with. 

    If it wasn't for my guild I'd have rerolled somewhere else long before now. As it is, I log in to do dailies and ops and that's about it. I've given up on levelling my alts (all but their crew skills) since there's no grouping at all while levelling, and warzones aren't happening much at all. I'd happily hand over all of my names for the chance to be on a populated server. 

     

  • ForumPvPForumPvP KingstownPosts: 871Member
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

    Naming conventions in MMORPGs have to change.

    The Secret World has instituted the best new system so far.

    First "NIckname" Last.

    Allows people to have the same first and last names. But requires a unique Nickname.

    Its very effective.

    Not really "new" they have been using that system in Anarchy Online for years which is nice system.

    And E , Sith happens :< .

     

     

     

    Let's internet

  • barezzbarezz Granite City, ILPosts: 140Member Uncommon

    I can understand your frustration, many of my guildmates had the same issue.  I was lucky and only lost 1 name.

    Now I acknowledge that this is an unfortunate reality of server transfers, but I think the furstrating thing is that this is happening less than 6 months after launch, and the ways transfers were opened up there was little time or warning to prepare.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

    A rival guild took my friend's name hoping it would make him stop playing because he was the best PvP'er on the server and was constantly making the guy who took it look like a noob.  So he had to change a letter.

  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member

    I didn't play Anarchy Online, so forgive me.

    Its new to me.

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by barezz

    I can understand your frustration, many of my guildmates had the same issue.  I was lucky and only lost 1 name.

    Now I acknowledge that this is an unfortunate reality of server transfers, but I think the furstrating thing is that this is happening less than 6 months after launch, and the ways transfers were opened up there was little time or warning to prepare.

    You see, I have seen server merges, which this really is. Usually the older taken name was getting the higher right. I created those 5 names in the first 10 minutes in the preorder day. I can't imagine all of them were taken in 10 minutes on the other server. So why am I, who was a day one player robbed of my names? Why did they not have to come to our server?

     

    I have taken so many bad pills with this game, I have accepted so many compromises. Time and again I have accepted all sorts of shit. Like when I was in the Jedi Knight level 50 endgame, and that chest with mayor loot never opened, and the only thing I got was a Dev mailing me "we are WORKING on it". I NEVER got what was inside even tho it was 3 damn months ago. I made so many compromises, but not my names!

    NOT EVER.

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,991Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

    [mod edit]

    If he is a paying customer, then he is special, however if he's currently unsubbed, he really has no rights, and I'm surprised more companies don't just make the name available for any character that is inactive for a certain period of time.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

    [mod edit]

    If he is a paying customer, then he is special, however if he's currently unsubbed, he really has no rights, and I'm surprised more companies don't just make the name available for any character that is inactive for a certain period of time.

     

    I guess it would make many players angry, if you return to a beloved char for an expansion or what and find it renamed in "DofusXYZ12345". Still, if a merge happens, IMVPO the older taken should have precedence.

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,779Member Uncommon

    You knew right from the start that they had an awful way of partitioning players into servers.  Losing your names is just filling in the details of why it's awful.

    You know what you can do about it?  Cancel your account.  Anything short of that constitutes giving your assent.

  • SQTOSQTO victoria, BCPosts: 188Member
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

    [mod edit]

    NO NO NO NO NO!

    This is NOT negotiable!

    This is NOT arbitrary!

     

    ...

     

    If you name is John, and suddenly you are forced to be called Jim, would you not be upset?

    There is a huge difference between someone’s real name and your name in an online video game.  I don’t understand why people believe they are entitled to the names over others and no it does not matter how many years you have used those names because that time doesn’t count in swtor. 
     
    After reading these forums for a few months it seems that you are always threatening to quit over something and there is always something to complain about and I don’t understand why you keep playing if it makes you so unhappy.
     
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

    It sucks, but I do not agree with someone coming onto someone elses original server and being able to take their name....Your server was dead and sucked, you pay the price.  It has been like that, now if it all formed some new server, then you could have some rules....But if it is existing, you shouldn't be screwing someone that has been on that server.

  • raistlinmraistlinm new orleans, LAPosts: 673Member
    Originally posted by Elikal

    God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

    I was Akim TelBane in SWG for 7 frigging years.

    I was Akim TelBane in EQ2 for 6 years.

    I was Akim TelBane in LOTRO for 3 years.

    And they TOOK THE NAME FROM ME.

     

    I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

    [mod edit]

    And the reason you lost those names is because someone else who pays just like you do is already using them and like many of us (myself included) they have probably been using the same names just as long as you.

    It sucks to be you (and me I switched servers on my own and lost most of the names I use too) but just be glad you obviously like the game enough to not go through with your boycott threat.......

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    You knew right from the start that they had an awful way of partitioning players into servers.  Losing your names is just filling in the details of why it's awful.

    You know what you can do about it?  Cancel your account.  Anything short of that constitutes giving your assent.

    I did this now. *sigh*

    No more compromise. Not again. Not with my names I carried for so many years through so many games.

     

    EDIT: I added the people with "my" names as friends, and for a second you see their levels. My lost name chars were level 50, 50, 42, 37 und 28. They are: 11, 10, 1, 3 and 8. Good riddance, now I am REALLY angry. Bah. I hope Bioware burns and crashes. Star Wars fandom or no, I so have enough of being treated like dirt.

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • raistlinmraistlinm new orleans, LAPosts: 673Member
    Originally posted by udon

    Did they ever spell out how duplicate names where being hanled because I never saw anything?

    If you transfer from your original server to a new one and someone has that name on that server already then you have to choose another name, simple as that.

    The only alternative I am aware of is to use a "@" in front of the name like STO did and that sucked for me I could never get used to that.

«134
This discussion has been closed.