Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - Will you pre-order?

Comments

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71

Nope I tried beta it just didn't grab me in the animations were awful the comabt wasn't any better.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

Buy this game and pay a monthly fee ? no thank you , its a decent f2p game 

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by 7star
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Funcom + EA = NFW

Seriously? Funcom + EA is your concern?

Not that Funcom alone hasn't been able to launch a release ready game ... ever!

EA can only help. As sad as that sounds, there is no freaking way EA can make a Funcom mmo worse that they have managed before.

Also EA does not own Funcom and has zero creative control. You are letting your tin foil hat show.

Haha...well, I do have a tinfoil hat, but I'm not wearing it right now, I swear. If I need to be more precise, let me revise my original:

I have a few (at least 3) bad experiences with Funcom customer service related to my purchase of AoC. Through this direct personal experience, I have decided I don't want to give them any more money. So that brings me to:

Funcom = NW

Now, EA, in games where they did have control over the creative direction of a company, I don't like what they did. For that reason, I don't want to buy any game where EA is going to get a taste of my money. Therefore, I add the F.

EA = F

Hence: Funcom + EA = NFW

It is not any conspiracy theory here (so I didn't need the tinfoil hat this time). It is based on my past experiences with these companies and my decision to vote with my wallet and not give them my money. 

Since D3, I have added Activision-Blizzard to that list (unless patch 1.03 shows that they are not all about centering the game round the RMAH). 

So that's my list. 3 companies. 

If it turns out that TSW is an awesome game with a solid track-record of good reviews from reviewers I respect, then I will reconsider and purchase it. But based on my past experience, I will not pre-order. That's all I'm sayin'.

Funcom is very independent and EA is just the distributor of the game. They have not been bought or acquired by EA like Bioware. So i have no idea why you would be worried that EA is involved. All decisions good and bad are of Funcom alone and not EA.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Interested in this game, but the latest beta has confirmed that it isnt ready for release. Maybe once I see that the game is up to scratch in terms of combat. I'm sure this one will go F2P sooner rather than later anyway.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

Funcom + EA = NFW

EA can only help. As sad as that sounds, there is no freaking way EA can make a Funcom mmo worse that they have managed before.

Also EA does not own Funcom and has zero creative control. You are letting your tin foil hat show.

Haha...well, I do have a tinfoil hat, but I'm not wearing it right now, I swear. If I need to be more precise, let me revise my original:

I have a few (at least 3) bad experiences with Funcom customer service related to my purchase of AoC. Through this direct personal experience, I have decided I don't want to give them any more money. So that brings me to:

Funcom = NW

Now, EA, in games where they did have control over the creative direction of a company, I don't like what they did. For that reason, I don't want to buy any game where EA is going to get a taste of my money. Therefore, I add the F.

EA = F

It is not any conspiracy theory here (so I didn't need the tinfoil hat this time). It is based on my past experiences with these companies and my decision to vote with my wallet and not give them my money. 

Since D3, I have added Activision-Blizzard to that list (unless patch 1.03 shows that they are not all about centering the game round the RMAH). 

If it turns out that TSW is an awesome game with a solid track-record of good reviews from reviewers I respect, then I will reconsider and purchase it. But based on my past experience, I will not pre-order. That's all I'm sayin'.

Funcom is very independent and EA is just the distributor of the game. They have not been bought or acquired by EA like Bioware. So i have no idea why you would be worried that EA is involved. All decisions good and bad are of Funcom alone and not EA.

I guess you didn't read what I wrote then. Or maybe i didn't make it clear enough. 

I don't think EA will control Funcom. I don't like EA for what they have done in the past and I don't want to support them in any business venture, even if they don't  have creative control in this case.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Ichmen
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by kiiix

dont plan to, game play its acceptable, but it needs a hell of alot of work and polish. the questing are ok.. a few farming quests but thats pretty common.. the controls piss me off the most about the game. and their built in browser is a fking joke.. its like netscape 1.0.. half the time the back button doesnt work. and it just doesnot function like a current day browser should.

box price and sub do not seem worth it to me. given its current state. 

wait wait, hold on a second?

0: Farming quests? you mean going around killing this many of that right? (i look upon farming/grinding quests like those in PWI: please go kill 64 of those, and when you come back go kill another 30(just to be sure they are extinct))

1: The controls piss you off? how are they any different from any other mmorpg(you look around with your mouse, you move around on wasd and use skills on your numeric keys)

2: The ingame browser has one fuction and one function only: Research. Your not suppose to use it for facebook or youtube, but to plane and simple google stuff to help you solve your research missions.

go kill 5 slow zombies, 5 dry zombies 5 wet zombies then 15 of cultists. . AKA farming quests. after killing spawn spamming zombies. 

that is one of a few i ran into between kingsmouth and blue mountain (BM is not in beta but i went over both maps) 

as for the controls, i hate the fighting aspect, i tried for 30 minutes to reconfigure my mouse to be my attack button. instead i spent most of my time trying to break my fingers on 1 hand to fight and move at the same time.  having played several mmos and fps those controls are retarded.  i feel like im playing SC1 macroing like esport korean's with my hands hunched over them selves hitting buttons. 

As for the browser, its a joke. it couldnt search its way out of a paper bag,  google something wicked and you will get about 2 pages of just band/lyrics thankfully someone was nice enough to inform me how to access the jail cell or i would still be flipping pages trying to find out how. 

the back button breaks on it as well, so you cant back search. can not type a word in the URL header to auto search either, you have to manually go to google..  im sorry but this is 2012..  that sort of browser usage went out with netscape 1.0 and IE 1 ... now days browsers have built in auto search abilities.  hense why i spent more time using my 2nd pc for chrome then i did using ingame browser.

i dont hate the quests other then the investigation quests which left much to be desired. there are enough variety in quests that you dont get spammed with kill XX of zombie X and then XX zombie Y and Z there are a few but not as bad as some MMos.

Ok gonna comment on that one, the browser for me worked fine, did not see anything broken at all, and whats with the kill x zombie and kill y zombie? You do know every game has this, even your single player console RPG's right? To be fair yes I ran into afew of them in TSW but to be honest there was'nt that many, and if you don't like to do those quests then don't simple as that, you could have grabbed some investigation missions , sabatage ect but you rather comment on " Afew " quests? and then make stupid comments on how this and that is broken? You do realize it is a beta right? Beta=test build and it is NOT the final build, Period.

I miss the old days when we were chosen to participate in a beta you would be mailed the CD and a NDA form that you would have to either mail back or fax, then you would get the CD key to activate your beta account, now they just let in all kinds of little kids who think that pojects like this are the finished product and exspect a smooth gameplay experience, and if they don't, well they come to sites like this and flame the forums bitching and moaning.

Sorry for the rant guys but it gets tiresome to keep hearing the same song and dance after all these years with different mmorpgs, hell even WoW was the same way on the beta experience.,

umm you do realize a beta test is to provide feed back on the final product too right??  your song and dance is rather out of place, as i personally found issues with the game browser. on top of that, i hate farming quests  where you are expect to kill the same mob over and over. i think in my 3 days of playing i got atleast 3-4 achivements for zombies alone not counting mobs on savage coast and sea based mobs that i XP farmed or quest farmed over and over.

i did investigation quests (kingsmouth/somethingwicked and two others i forget which now) they were alright, wicked and kingsmouth had the biggest issue for me. though i bugged abit in the basement of for the tunnel like many people. 

but given how soon TwS is releasing this build is one of the finals the next few builds will be more bug fixing and polish then content adding (apart from testing)

while you might have had no issues with the browser, i did. i could not backpage half the time. if it loaded the Tsw forums it would break that i was stuck until i reloaded google.  to be quite honest the browser needs work. unless you do not use PCs very much. 

i spend alot of time web searching for stuff. hense why i use a browser with a built in auto search.  i dont have to access google's page to web search. i simply type what im looking for in the header and vooosh it searches. TSW browser it does not. perhaps its an over sight by the devs perhaps not.  I personally do not like the browser and find it buggy.  hense my point of view on it.

there is no reason to fanboy white knight over it. the game as a whole is fine, i wont be playing it as it did not grab me like it did others. perhaps a few months down the road with some tweeks and polish i may try it again. but i fail to see how my point of view and experiance from playing the game is bitching and moaning.. seems you are the only one doing so here.

One word for that entire paragraph you have LOL

I do know that for " betas " isto report issues to the devs , that is what I pointed out to you, it's a test and test generaly means to report any issues you come in contact with, you don't do many beta " Tests " do you? I will agree with you on afew things, like some bugs regarding some game play experiences, the tunnel in the basement I had a issue with as well, that is why I reported it.

It is funny that you mention " I hate farming quests" then I have to say to you, that almost every single MMORPG out there is'nt for you, because the sole purpose of doing any form of quests is to advance through a story of some kind, hell as I said, even single player RPGs have farming Lol

Also , I think it's funny that you think Iam bitching and moaning, while I explained why I stated that above,I was not, but from the end of you paragraph , it sounds like you are grasping for strings here and then to further add insult, you say I must not use PC's much Lol considering I maintain a varity of systems and build afew here and there and then exspressing myself on the forums on what I think about the game ingeneral I get some smart comment about PC useage, really shows someones mentality and that you have proven that with those types of remarks.

Try this, instead of disecting everything, try playing the game for what it is and have fun? Some words to go by.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

Funcom + EA = NFW

Funcom = NW

EA = F

I guess you didn't read what I wrote then.

I did and i was commenting regarding 'they like tot ake control over creative direction of company'. Which they can't do since EA is handling only the sales and Fucom approached them much later when development of TSW was already complete. So whatever you see in future is Funcom's own doing. 

I would understand if EA was involved in development of the game and you didn't want them to have your money. But missing on TSW because of EA name would be well..unfortunate.

• gotcha89gotcha89 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Really enjoyed de beta's played like 30 hours in both weekends so far. The questing is so my thing love how the story is written and offcourse the great designing very nice atmosphere yeah i will pre order

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Nope. It didn´t grab my attention in 2 betas...

Box + sub is way too much for a game like TSW in my opinion.

I´ll check it back in a few months....

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

Gave it a try over the WE but definitely not my stuff, didnt like the background along with the gfx style. I am confident it will please sufficient players in any case.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Sameer1979  But missing on TSW because of EA name would be well..unfortunate.

Well, like I said, if it turns out a couple of months after launch that TSW is a great game and there are well-written reviews by reviewers I respect to support that, I will definitely re-consider and buy the game. I will not punish myself (i.e., miss out on a truly great game) in order to spite EA and Funcom -- who wouldn't give a rat's a$$ anyway.

However, in response to this thread's original question, I will not pre-purchase the game for the reasons I have outlined above.

Edit: I know you wanted to say "stupid" instead of "unfortunate," but you are polite and well-bred enough not to have done so. I appreciate your questioning my post and remaining civil.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

dont plan to, game play its acceptable, but it needs a hell of alot of work and polish. the questing are ok.. a few farming quests but thats pretty common.. the controls piss me off the most about the game. and their built in browser is a fking joke.. its like netscape 1.0.. half the time the back button doesnt work. and it just doesnot function like a current day browser should.

0: Farming quests? you mean going around killing this many of that right? (i look upon farming/grinding quests like those in PWI: please go kill 64 of those, and when you come back go kill another 30(just to be sure they are extinct))

1: The controls piss you off? how are they any different from any other mmorpg(you look around with your mouse, you move around on wasd and use skills on your numeric keys)

2: The ingame browser has one fuction and one function only: Research. Your not suppose to use it for facebook or youtube, but to plane and simple google stuff to help you solve your research missions.

go kill 5 slow zombies, 5 dry zombies 5 wet zombies then 15 of cultists. . AKA farming quests. after killing spawn spamming zombies. 

that is one of a few i ran into between kingsmouth and blue mountain (BM is not in beta but i went over both maps) 

as for the controls, i hate the fighting aspect, i tried for 30 minutes to reconfigure my mouse to be my attack button. instead i spent most of my time trying to break my fingers on 1 hand to fight and move at the same time.  having played several mmos and fps those controls are retarded.  i feel like im playing SC1 macroing like esport korean's with my hands hunched over them selves hitting buttons. 

As for the browser, its a joke. it couldnt search its way out of a paper bag,  google something wicked and you will get about 2 pages of just band/lyrics thankfully someone was nice enough to inform me how to access the jail cell or i would still be flipping pages trying to find out how. 

the back button breaks on it as well, so you cant back search. can not type a word in the URL header to auto search either, you have to manually go to google..  im sorry but this is 2012..  that sort of browser usage went out with netscape 1.0 and IE 1 ... now days browsers have built in auto search abilities.  hense why i spent more time using my 2nd pc for chrome then i did using ingame browser.

i dont hate the quests other then the investigation quests which left much to be desired. there are enough variety in quests that you dont get spammed with kill XX of zombie X and then XX zombie Y and Z there are a few but not as bad as some MMos.

Ok gonna comment on that one, the browser for me worked fine, did not see anything broken at all, and whats with the kill x zombie and kill y zombie? You do know every game has this, even your single player console RPG's right? To be fair yes I ran into afew of them in TSW but to be honest there was'nt that many, and if you don't like to do those quests then don't simple as that, you could have grabbed some investigation missions , sabatage ect but you rather comment on " Afew " quests? and then make stupid comments on how this and that is broken? You do realize it is a beta right? Beta=test build and it is NOT the final build, Period.

I miss the old days when we were chosen to participate in a beta you would be mailed the CD and a NDA form that you would have to either mail back or fax, then you would get the CD key to activate your beta account, now they just let in all kinds of little kids who think that pojects like this are the finished product and exspect a smooth gameplay experience, and if they don't, well they come to sites like this and flame the forums bitching and moaning.

Sorry for the rant guys but it gets tiresome to keep hearing the same song and dance after all these years with different mmorpgs, hell even WoW was the same way on the beta experience.,

umm you do realize a beta test is to provide feed back on the final product too right??  your song and dance is rather out of place, as i personally found issues with the game browser. on top of that, i hate farming quests  where you are expect to kill the same mob over and over. i think in my 3 days of playing i got atleast 3-4 achivements for zombies alone not counting mobs on savage coast and sea based mobs that i XP farmed or quest farmed over and over.

i did investigation quests (kingsmouth/somethingwicked and two others i forget which now) they were alright, wicked and kingsmouth had the biggest issue for me. though i bugged abit in the basement of for the tunnel like many people. 

but given how soon TwS is releasing this build is one of the finals the next few builds will be more bug fixing and polish then content adding (apart from testing)

while you might have had no issues with the browser, i did. i could not backpage half the time. if it loaded the Tsw forums it would break that i was stuck until i reloaded google.  to be quite honest the browser needs work. unless you do not use PCs very much. 

i spend alot of time web searching for stuff. hense why i use a browser with a built in auto search.  i dont have to access google's page to web search. i simply type what im looking for in the header and vooosh it searches. TSW browser it does not. perhaps its an over sight by the devs perhaps not.  I personally do not like the browser and find it buggy.  hense my point of view on it.

there is no reason to fanboy white knight over it. the game as a whole is fine, i wont be playing it as it did not grab me like it did others. perhaps a few months down the road with some tweeks and polish i may try it again. but i fail to see how my point of view and experiance from playing the game is bitching and moaning.. seems you are the only one doing so here.

I do know that for " betas " isto report issues to the devs , that is what I pointed out to you, it's a test and test generaly means to report any issues you come in contact with, you don't do many beta " Tests " do you? I will agree with you on afew things, like some bugs regarding some game play experiences, the tunnel in the basement I had a issue with as well, that is why I reported it.

It is funny that you mention " I hate farming quests" then I have to say to you, that almost every single MMORPG out there is'nt for you, because the sole purpose of doing any form of quests is to advance through a story of some kind, hell as I said, even single player RPGs have farming Lol

Also , I think it's funny that you think Iam bitching and moaning, while I explained why I stated that above,I was not, but from the end of you paragraph , it sounds like you are grasping for strings here and then to further add insult, you say I must not use PC's much Lol considering I maintain a varity of systems and build afew here and there and then exspressing myself on the forums on what I think about the game ingeneral I get some smart comment about PC useage, really shows someones mentality and that you have proven that with those types of remarks.

Try this, instead of disecting everything, try playing the game for what it is and have fun? Some words to go by.

yet again you missed what i said. 

i personally found issues with the controls of the game. as well as the ability to reassign them. i found issues with quests that were buggy (kingsmouth basement to name 1) i had issues with the ingame browser not functioning correctly. 

yet again you latch on to my personal dislike for farm quests.  yet again you try to tell me to suck it up and enjoy the game...

once more i must inform you that white knighting for TSW is pointless. as i personally found issues with it, i do not dislike the game. i liked the variety of the quests and the game it self, but the controls, and issues i found were dissatisfactory for my play style and enjoyment of the game.  you may enjoy it thats your choice. i spend the 3 days i had from my weekend key to test it out, and find out if it was up to my personal gaming desires and it is not.  it was that simple for me.  after completing about 40 quests of kingsmouth and around 10-13 of savage coast, grinding out about 3-4 zombie achives in kingsmouth and several others in savage. i find the game to not be up to my standards. 

i have alpha tested games an pre-beta'ed them as well. this beta was a polishing beta nothing more, if people buy it from playing the free weekend keys or getting in to the beta, great good for them. 

the ingame browser needs work as does the controls. thats the feed back funcom gets from me.  the quest bugs i hit have long been reported everyone before me so they should be fixed by release (i hope). 

hope that is clear for you to understand now...

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

yet again you missed what i said. 

i personally found issues with the controls of the game. as well as the ability to reassign them. i found issues with quests that were buggy (kingsmouth basement to name 1) i had issues with the ingame browser not functioning correctly. 

yet again you latch on to my personal dislike for farm quests.  yet again you try to tell me to suck it up and enjoy the game...

once more i must inform you that white knighting for TSW is pointless. as i personally found issues with it, i do not dislike the game. i liked the variety of the quests and the game it self, but the controls, and issues i found were dissatisfactory for my play style and enjoyment of the game.  you may enjoy it thats your choice. i spend the 3 days i had from my weekend key to test it out, and find out if it was up to my personal gaming desires and it is not.  it was that simple for me.  after completing about 40 quests of kingsmouth and around 10-13 of savage coast, grinding out about 3-4 zombie achives in kingsmouth and several others in savage. i find the game to not be up to my standards. 

i have alpha tested games an pre-beta'ed them as well. this beta was a polishing beta nothing more, if people buy it from playing the free weekend keys or getting in to the beta, great good for them. 

the ingame browser needs work as does the controls. thats the feed back funcom gets from me.  the quest bugs i hit have long been reported everyone before me so they should be fixed by release (i hope). 

hope that is clear for you to understand now...

The question is, you missed my point.

I already told you that if there were or are issues like that then report it, but everyone knows that in ( Beta's ) there are going to be issues regarding game play , graphical issues, balance issues, item gain/crafting issues ect ect, so I did'nt miss the point, I know where you are coming from because some of the issues you had I had, but the way you come off on this sort of topic makes me think you have to have the last word even though in some of the things you mentioned are wrong, and I'll admit some things I mentioned are wrong as well, and what is this with " White knighting"? some sot of new way of saying Fanboy? if it is all I have to say to you is LOL because if that is a attempt at making me angry or whatever your going to loose that battle my friend, it actualy just makes me laugh.

After every single Beta I have been in ranges from AO,EQ and all the way up the ladder  , even at this stage I am a CB for GW2 and let me put it " Clearly" there are alot of aspects or mechanics that can change within the game itself, I realize that some of these things needs work , that is why a company like Funcom is having a beta test in the first place, I hope thats clear enough for you to understand..... and on another topic, this is a post about preordering so lets get back on track here because this is getting out of hand with these sorts of ramblings.

If you want, start a thread up of all the issues that you had with the game and maybe we can discuss it there, but right now I am done with trying to make sense of this whole thing, because people like yourself generaly don't want to listen, even though some of us are CB testers ;P

Hope that clears things up for you....

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Nope.

I miss DAoC

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I like the concept of the game but not the gameplay.

There is a few bugs when I played the game.

Like ingame browser tend to hang, all my cinematic scene has no voice, freezes and lag at certain area.

And also the Box + Subs + Cash Shop is a big turnoff for me.

I would only get it if it is B2P.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Already pre-ordered and glad, for em this game is so much better than GW2..

This beta weekend was even better than the last, they had listened to the peopel on their forums and sorted out combat its now a lot smoother and they have added active dodge..

Game runs a lot better even with everything maxed out in DX11 and most of all it look stunning..

I didnt play too much this weekend as I dont want to spoil the game for when its released.. I just tested specific thigns I had issues with last time and this time aronud the issues had been sorted.

I think box sale + sub should be the only way to go for MMORPGs its a shame its got a cash shop but there will be no need to use it and probally wont even look at it... Unlike games that are free and only supported by cash shops as they usually have things you will need to buy to be able to play..

So cash shop in this is not a big issue for me as ill ignore it..

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Interesting game overall, I love the setting.

In some aspects it feels like gw2 (which also I am not preordering as I was lucky enough to be into beta and despite having high hopes for that game, it turned out to be the disappointment I feared it would become).

Maybe 3-6 months from release, will see (same for gw2, will see).

Thing is, I can't force myself to play tab-target games anymore, makes me yawn. I'll probably keep staying on TERA and switch to PS2 if it comes out within 3-6 months.

If not, it will be time to give another go to either TSW or GW2 (unless tera unlocks the fabled 4th continent that was intended for server v server, in which case.. I'm set for 1 year).

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Skill system looks interesting, but I'm going to pass on release.  Might try it later.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Alrdy pre-ordered, since this is prob. going to be my last MMO ever again... The genre has been letting me down many years now...

This game makes me wanan believe :P

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

No, I don't think so, unless in the next weeks, they have some "miracle patch" completely changing the game... I'll watch it since I'm still in beta.

When I first read about The Secret World, I was excited. Imagine:

- Real world setting. A really new setting in the MMO industry.

- Skill based character development, no levels.

- Lore seems to be heavily based on Call of Cthulhu - Lovecraft.

I was like "yay, finally something totally new, and with an UO like skill based system to boot! Can't wait!".

The real world setting is definitely nice, but way too cramped and linear, and no, it doesn't open up later. It's SW:TOR all over again... instead of your spaceship, here you have Agartha. Instead of planets, you have random locations on the "actual" earth. This results in the game not feeling like a virtual world at all for me. Mind you, I enjoyed SW:TOR a few months, and I'm sure I could also enjoy TSW the same way, and I may do that later actually.

The skill based character development is nice on the paper, but is nothing like the freedom you had in Ultima Online. The ability wheel is combat centric. There's only one way of character development in this game, and that is combat. Now I agree it's the same for most other MMORPGs actually, but "skill based" still makes one hope for so much more...

The lore is definitely interesting, but then again, you have little to no control on your character's fate. One of the first thing that happened to my Dragon chick was to have lesbian sex with what reveals to be some non human being in female human form. I had no choice. At least in SW:TOR, the "other" story centric MMORPG on the market, in such situations you had a choice. Here, the first thing the game tells you is that your character is a slave to some powerful organisation and that your fate is not in your hands... shup up and fight.

The locations feel quite lifeless too. 99% of the mobs are just standing there waiting to be farmed/slaughtered. We are far from the living world of other MMORPGs, old or new. Granted, most places look good, specially with everything maxed out in DX11, but looking good doesn't mean feeling alive, which is quite bad of a MMORPG set to happen in our own real life.

Let me end with the animations and character customizations, which range from bad to utterly ugly. Seriously, is this the engine used to make Conan? Are those the people who made Conan? Because despite all its flaws, Conan's combat animations were quite good, if not excellent.

I will continue playing until beta closes since I'm still in the beta and it's "free", but for now, I have no intention to pay for this. Maybe later if I come to a point where I'm really bored, and Funcom had time to polish the game (and also remove the bugs). I had made the promise after Conan to never pre-order a Funcom game ever again anyway.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

No, I won't be buying for at least 3-6 months.

I found the game too rough around the edges.

I think I have been spoiled with extremely high production values recently :/

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by wombat5x5
    I enjoyed the beta weekend a lot. No bugs, no crashes, browser worked great, graphics maxed out were nice. I was not sure at first, but after a bit of character progression and getting used to the controls, I had no issues with the gameplay. Although it did feel too themepark at times, when I slowed down and took things in, it wasn't an issue. The atmosphere and foreboding are great, however if you're just running through trying to "beat the game", you're going to miss out, and TSW probably isn't for you anyway. I'll buy on principle, because I respect and admire FC for creating something different and engaging. After AO and AOC, I felt like FC was a bit of a joke like most, but on my new gaming rig, TSW beta played smooth and was a real surprise. It also has a sense of mystery that NO mmo has ever had, which is fun. It reminds me of a Stephen King novel or something. Anyway, cheers all:)

+1, I've been enjoying the hell out of the closed beta and played the beta weekend with some friends this past weekend but I also agree with:

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Nope. I refuse to ever pay full box price + sub fee ever again. I'll pay one or the other, but not both.Maybe when the game is $20 after a few months I'll check it out and see if things have improved from where CB is now. Barring that, I'll probably just ignore it and be on my merry.

There will never be a game that is worth box + sub + cash shop no matter how much money I make. On top of this, I learned from Rift's beta that even if you enjoy a game in beta that things can change. I will never pre-order any game again, ever.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Even after uninstalling the game after around 4 hours of play I still WANT to like it, something just didn't feel right for me. 

I liked the world and I liked the skill wheel but the combat was lacking a bit, the people in the beta were the same trolls/fanboys as in every beta and it just made everything feel 100x worse.

I can't justify paying for box, sub and cash shop either, as much as I tell myself I wouldn't spend money in the cash shop probably i'd get sucked in and buy something, if it was just the box and cash shop I wouldn't mind paying a tenner a month in to it really but with a sub too, no thanks. There are too many games out now that have no box price but carry a sub(i just trial'd and joined EVE which cost me £4.99) or games that you just buy the box and it has an optional shop. Gone are the days of buy2play games and games with cash shops being substandard.

I think about reinstating my pre order and playing next weeks beta but no matter how much I like it I won't support a game with cash shop, box fee and a subscription

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Just to reply to a couple of your points.

The real world setting is definitely nice, but way too cramped and linear, and no, it doesn't open up later. It's SW:TOR all over again... instead of your spaceship, here you have Agartha. Instead of planets, you have random locations on the "actual" earth. This results in the game not feeling like a virtual world at all for me. Mind you, I enjoyed SW:TOR a few months, and I'm sure I could also enjoy TSW the same way, and I may do that later actually.

I certainly don't consider the game as linear as SWTOR.  SWTOR was linear like other games because you go to one quest hub pick up quests, complete them and then move on to the next hub. TSW is not like that, you start one quest at a hub and might not get back to do the rest of the quests for some time, depending where you go and what you explore.  And in fact some quests don't unlock until you complete others so picking up all the quests at a hub and finishing them isn't really possible.

The lore is definitely interesting, but then again, you have little to no control on your character's fate. One of the first thing that happened to my Dragon chick was to have lesbian sex with what reveals to be some non human being in female human form. I had no choice. At least in SW:TOR, the "other" story centric MMORPG on the market, in such situations you had a choice. Here, the first thing the game tells you is that your character is a slave to some powerful organisation and that your fate is not in your hands... shup up and fight.

I would agree with this, there isn't much choice involved in quests... although SWTOR doesn't really give you choice either as their method of story telling is an illusion of choice that effectively boils down to Nice response and do quest, Evil response and do quest, or refuse quest. The cutscenes in TSW are more a long way of picking up a quest, although as a few people pointed out in game they often gives you clues to completing the quest so they are worth watching.  I end up skipping most of them though towards the end of the beta because it does take a long time to watch the cutscene and do all the NPC conversations.  After release it will be worth speaking to NPCs several times to get their background and watching all the quest cutscenes if you want to immerse yourself in the story.

The locations feel quite lifeless too. 99% of the mobs are just standing there waiting to be farmed/slaughtered. We are far from the living world of other MMORPGs, old or new. Granted, most places look good, specially with everything maxed out in DX11, but looking good doesn't mean feeling alive, which is quite bad of a MMORPG set to happen in our own real life.

It's not as bad as some games, but yes for the most part you go to an area and there are mobs wandering about in a field or in the ocean or wherever waiting for you.  In kingsmouth it's mainly pack of zombies scattered about town chewing on corpses or an army of undead coming in from the ocean.  There is a fair amount of atmosphere to the game however.  At the sherifs the npcs chat to each other and take potshots at zombies running at the compound.  Zombies gather outside and bang on the walls. You can hear the zombies in the streets gnawing on the corpses and the ones in the sea muttering in some strange language. 

In some places groups of NPCs fight each other (the demons at the motel fighting zombies from the sea for example). The two quest givers near the bridge chat to each other on and off with a number of different conversations.  You can pick up hints of quest locations from some npcs chatting.  Near John Wolf you can hear some ghostly children talking or singing from time to time and a lot of similar atmospheric stuff.

Finally I don't think there are any static enemies who just stand there.  Almost everything paths or moves.  Even the pack of chewing zombies are moving (well eating). Well I guess the quest givers are static and maybe a few of the guards and friendly animals. 

Let me end with the animations and character customizations, which range from bad to utterly ugly. Seriously, is this the engine used to make Conan? Are those the people who made Conan? Because despite all its flaws, Conan's combat animations were quite good, if not excellent.

It is an upgraded engine from the one used to make Conan.  As I understand it this engine is the latest version of the same one used originally for Anarchy Online and they have upgraded both that game and AoC to this version (they kept the memory leak problem though).  They are slightly different though, for example in AoC when you log out it takes you back to the character select screen, while with TSW it logs you out of the game.  So there has obviously been some deviation along the way somewhere.

I personally didn't mind the animations, although this does seem to be something a lot of people bring up.  I don't see the issue myself but I wasn't really paying particular attention.  They seemed adequate to me... /shrug....  The character customisations are ok for clothing, the beta has a ton of different options and colours there.  Faces and hair and makeup for characters was lacking compared to most recent games in this beta.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

No, but not because its a bad game or anything.  Not interested in the so called bonuses.  If EA gave me a $10 discount for pre odering then maybe.