Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - Will you pre-order?

Comments

• ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71

Been there, done that and still have the scars.

These days I wouldn't pre-order any game even if it were created by God and distributed by Jesus.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    Originally posted by kiiix
    Originally posted by Ichmen

dont plan to, game play its acceptable, but it needs a hell of alot of work and polish. the questing are ok.. a few farming quests but thats pretty common.. the controls piss me off the most about the game. and their built in browser is a fking joke.. its like netscape 1.0.. half the time the back button doesnt work. and it just doesnot function like a current day browser should.

box price and sub do not seem worth it to me. given its current state. 

wait wait, hold on a second?

0: Farming quests? you mean going around killing this many of that right? (i look upon farming/grinding quests like those in PWI: please go kill 64 of those, and when you come back go kill another 30(just to be sure they are extinct))

1: The controls piss you off? how are they any different from any other mmorpg(you look around with your mouse, you move around on wasd and use skills on your numeric keys)

2: The ingame browser has one fuction and one function only: Research. Your not suppose to use it for facebook or youtube, but to plane and simple google stuff to help you solve your research missions.

go kill 5 slow zombies, 5 dry zombies 5 wet zombies then 15 of cultists. . AKA farming quests. after killing spawn spamming zombies. 

that is one of a few i ran into between kingsmouth and blue mountain (BM is not in beta but i went over both maps) 

as for the controls, i hate the fighting aspect, i tried for 30 minutes to reconfigure my mouse to be my attack button. instead i spent most of my time trying to break my fingers on 1 hand to fight and move at the same time.  having played several mmos and fps those controls are retarded.  i feel like im playing SC1 macroing like esport korean's with my hands hunched over them selves hitting buttons. 

As for the browser, its a joke. it couldnt search its way out of a paper bag,  google something wicked and you will get about 2 pages of just band/lyrics thankfully someone was nice enough to inform me how to access the jail cell or i would still be flipping pages trying to find out how. 

the back button breaks on it as well, so you cant back search. can not type a word in the URL header to auto search either, you have to manually go to google..  im sorry but this is 2012..  that sort of browser usage went out with netscape 1.0 and IE 1 ... now days browsers have built in auto search abilities.  hense why i spent more time using my 2nd pc for chrome then i did using ingame browser.

i dont hate the quests other then the investigation quests which left much to be desired. there are enough variety in quests that you dont get spammed with kill XX of zombie X and then XX zombie Y and Z there are a few but not as bad as some MMos.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Funcom + EA = NFW

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Two copies on pre-order wife and me can not wait for launch this game is going to be a "marmite" you will probably either love it or hate it .

We love it.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Yes sir pre ordered awhile ago and I am happy I did.

It has been to long since we had a MMO that makes you think and not the same old crap.I am happy this game does'nt appeal to the masses because it weeds out all the " Other " players that generaly ruin a games community, that right there to me is worth every pennie, and if it was F2P I would have stayed clear of the game, always prefer Sub because I know what I am paying for and I don't need to shell out 20-30 bucks here and there per month to get access to areas that I should get regardless.

While we play TSW the " Other " people will be playing their panda games and anime F2P shit, thats fine with me, means I don't have to deal with them anymore, and that is always worth a sub fee anyday of the week!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

dont plan to, game play its acceptable, but it needs a hell of alot of work and polish. the questing are ok.. a few farming quests but thats pretty common.. the controls piss me off the most about the game. and their built in browser is a fking joke.. its like netscape 1.0.. half the time the back button doesnt work. and it just doesnot function like a current day browser should.

0: Farming quests? you mean going around killing this many of that right? (i look upon farming/grinding quests like those in PWI: please go kill 64 of those, and when you come back go kill another 30(just to be sure they are extinct))

1: The controls piss you off? how are they any different from any other mmorpg(you look around with your mouse, you move around on wasd and use skills on your numeric keys)

2: The ingame browser has one fuction and one function only: Research. Your not suppose to use it for facebook or youtube, but to plane and simple google stuff to help you solve your research missions.

go kill 5 slow zombies, 5 dry zombies 5 wet zombies then 15 of cultists. . AKA farming quests. after killing spawn spamming zombies. 

that is one of a few i ran into between kingsmouth and blue mountain (BM is not in beta but i went over both maps) 

as for the controls, i hate the fighting aspect, i tried for 30 minutes to reconfigure my mouse to be my attack button. instead i spent most of my time trying to break my fingers on 1 hand to fight and move at the same time.  having played several mmos and fps those controls are retarded.  i feel like im playing SC1 macroing like esport korean's with my hands hunched over them selves hitting buttons. 

As for the browser, its a joke. it couldnt search its way out of a paper bag,  google something wicked and you will get about 2 pages of just band/lyrics thankfully someone was nice enough to inform me how to access the jail cell or i would still be flipping pages trying to find out how. 

the back button breaks on it as well, so you cant back search. can not type a word in the URL header to auto search either, you have to manually go to google..  im sorry but this is 2012..  that sort of browser usage went out with netscape 1.0 and IE 1 ... now days browsers have built in auto search abilities.  hense why i spent more time using my 2nd pc for chrome then i did using ingame browser.

i dont hate the quests other then the investigation quests which left much to be desired. there are enough variety in quests that you dont get spammed with kill XX of zombie X and then XX zombie Y and Z there are a few but not as bad as some MMos.

Not to diminish vaild concerns but:

1. Did you submit your mapping concerns to the devs? Or do you think beta is the final release build? You may want to invest in a real mmo mouse. Mapping is a breeze with one.

2. I too hope the in game browser is still under development (again ... did you provide feedback to the devs?). But seriously though, you use a second comp to use a browser? Can you not alt-tab or window-tab? With the game windowed (even without borders) you can pop up your brower fast then even the ingame browser ... it sits right over top of your game like an in game window anyway. It is basically instant.

You stay sassy!

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I'm on board if this was B2P of F2P. The setting and ambiance really attracts me to it, but combat and animation push me away from subscribing.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Ok gonna comment on that one, the browser for me worked fine, did not see anything broken at all, and whats with the kill x zombie and kill y zombie? You do know every game has this, even your single player console RPG's right? To be fair yes I ran into afew of them in TSW but to be honest there was'nt that many, and if you don't like to do those quests then don't simple as that, you could have grabbed some investigation missions , sabatage ect but you rather comment on " Afew " quests? and then make stupid comments on how this and that is broken? You do realize it is a beta right? Beta=test build and it is NOT the final build, Period.

I miss the old days when we were chosen to participate in a beta you would be mailed the CD and a NDA form that you would have to either mail back or fax, then you would get the CD key to activate your beta account, now they just let in all kinds of little kids who think that pojects like this are the finished product and exspect a smooth gameplay experience, and if they don't, well they come to sites like this and flame the forums bitching and moaning.

Sorry for the rant guys but it gets tiresome to keep hearing the same song and dance after all these years with different mmorpgs, hell even WoW was the same way on the beta experience.,

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

hell no. this game is terrible. i had a good laugh at the lifetime subscribers though.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by 7star

Funcom + EA = NFW

Seriously? Funcom + EA is your concern?

Not that Funcom alone hasn't been able to launch a release ready game ... ever!

EA can only help. As sad as that sounds, there is no freaking way EA can make a Funcom mmo worse that they have managed before.

Also EA does not own Funcom and has zero creative control. You are letting your tin foil hat show.

You stay sassy!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Funcom + EA = NFW

EA can only help. As sad as that sounds, there is no freaking way EA can make a Funcom mmo worse that they have managed before.

Also EA does not own Funcom and has zero creative control. You are letting your tin foil hat show.

Uhm.... seriously?

Funcom has yet to release a launch-day-ready MMO, true. Funcom's biggest problem has always been their lack of follow-through. They have some really interesting ideas, but have always had trouble delivering fully on them. AO was perhaps Funcom at their best.

However, EA has a LONG history of pushing games out too early. This isn't limited to MMOs either. EA is infamous for cutting the purse strings early, and causing many a decent game w/ great potential to turn into yet another rushed lackluster pos. To say that EA has zero control is laughable. Not only has this been said about soo many projects in the past, but in every case, it turns out that EA was one of the primary reasons for a game not releasing properly. EA may only be the publishers, but they are VERY good at putting pressure where it counts to get their agenda across.

With a developer like Funcom, which seems to generally need a little extra time to iron out their mechanics, putting them under the umbrella of a company who has never shied away from their 'just release it, grab the cash, and run' mindset is probably the worst matchup you could get.

Tinfoil hat or not, EA is probably one of the worst things that could happen to a company right now. They have a very impressive resume of studios they have used, consumed, and spit out ruined. Which is sad, because I do like how Funcom tries to bring new ideas into the genre. Even if they kinda do it half-assed.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Already did. Good to see that the crappy community is heading to GW2. Don't have to worry about them in TSW.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

would have bought a box,  cant afford the sub , shame as i did like the game a lot 

• Calle1756Calle1756 Member Posts: 2

Lots of these replys have no reason in themself after Funcom have fixed lot of what you are mentioning. I don't know where you guys are from, but here in Norway where kids like you whiners have jobs, and they get paid very well. So worrying about p2p, sub and ingame cash shop is not an issue. Even for several games. Hold your negative emotions back until the game launches, and you get to see the story and the feeling of the game. It's not the combat you are paying for, it's a modern day setting, conspiracies, storyline like no other game. If you have been following the community through these years it has been amazing, with ARGs and international contests. 

Being negative to something new is trying to appear smart and cool. The Beta does not include the story, only the mechanics and the balance of the game, that are being tested and adjusted. If you have been playing other betas you would know that. I think this game will surprise a lot of you, and I can't wait for it to start in two weeks. I've bought GM for myself, so if you worry about paying sub -  you should too.

Not to diminish vaild concerns but:

1. Did you submit your mapping concerns to the devs? Or do you think beta is the final release build? You may want to invest in a real mmo mouse. Mapping is a breeze with one.

2. I too hope the in game browser is still under development (again ... did you provide feedback to the devs?). But seriously though, you use a second comp to use a browser? Can you not alt-tab or window-tab? With the game windowed (even without borders) you can pop up your brower fast then even the ingame browser ... it sits right over top of your game like an in game window anyway. It is basically instant.

couldnt remap, game would not allow me to assign action key 1 to my mouse. simply refused to accept it. i could only reset the middle mouse wheel which was pointless as i tend to assign 360* viewing to that instead of the RMB... that is by far the biggest grip i have with the game, i dont know how many times i died because i was trying to zig and i couldnt hit my fire action in time while turning my view to keep LoS with my target (i use rifles so game refused to auto detect zombies slightly behind me for some reason.)

i had issues with the game crashing trying to access my desktop from full screen so i tended to avoid the ingame browser as much as possible, didnt bother with my system one as its just as easy to access my 2nd pc which is what i did. 

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

I will probably not be pre-ordering, but will maybe get the game at or shortly after launch.  I had alot of fun with the beta, almost as much as with the GW2 BWEs.  I love the setting, and actually find myself interested in the lore which is more than I can say for many games.  Honestly I found the combat to be alot more fun than SWTOR was.  The ability system is interesting and fairly deep too. 

I did not see any of these fatal bugs some of you are complaining about.  However I agree that the game needs some more optimization and maybe July release is a little early.  Again I also agree that box and sub cost does seem a bit much especially since  a great game GW2 is going the no monthly fee route.  If GW2 announces a release date soon and its close, I can probably hold off on buying this, but this game is actually not that bad to me and if GW2 is delayed till Fall/Winter then I could honestly see myself playing this until then.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Already pre ordered. Anyone else noticed how everyone with GW2 sig has something bad to say about TSW? lol 

This website has some of the most hardcore GW2 fans who would play nothing but GW2 and trash everything else.

Originally posted by Aeolron

Ok gonna comment on that one, the browser for me worked fine, did not see anything broken at all, and whats with the kill x zombie and kill y zombie? You do know every game has this, even your single player console RPG's right? To be fair yes I ran into afew of them in TSW but to be honest there was'nt that many, and if you don't like to do those quests then don't simple as that, you could have grabbed some investigation missions , sabatage ect but you rather comment on " Afew " quests? and then make stupid comments on how this and that is broken? You do realize it is a beta right? Beta=test build and it is NOT the final build, Period.

I miss the old days when we were chosen to participate in a beta you would be mailed the CD and a NDA form that you would have to either mail back or fax, then you would get the CD key to activate your beta account, now they just let in all kinds of little kids who think that pojects like this are the finished product and exspect a smooth gameplay experience, and if they don't, well they come to sites like this and flame the forums bitching and moaning.

Sorry for the rant guys but it gets tiresome to keep hearing the same song and dance after all these years with different mmorpgs, hell even WoW was the same way on the beta experience.,

umm you do realize a beta test is to provide feed back on the final product too right??  your song and dance is rather out of place, as i personally found issues with the game browser. on top of that, i hate farming quests  where you are expect to kill the same mob over and over. i think in my 3 days of playing i got atleast 3-4 achivements for zombies alone not counting mobs on savage coast and sea based mobs that i XP farmed or quest farmed over and over.

i did investigation quests (kingsmouth/somethingwicked and two others i forget which now) they were alright, wicked and kingsmouth had the biggest issue for me. though i bugged abit in the basement of for the tunnel like many people. 

but given how soon TwS is releasing this build is one of the finals the next few builds will be more bug fixing and polish then content adding (apart from testing)

while you might have had no issues with the browser, i did. i could not backpage half the time. if it loaded the Tsw forums it would break that i was stuck until i reloaded google.  to be quite honest the browser needs work. unless you do not use PCs very much. 

i spend alot of time web searching for stuff. hense why i use a browser with a built in auto search.  i dont have to access google's page to web search. i simply type what im looking for in the header and vooosh it searches. TSW browser it does not. perhaps its an over sight by the devs perhaps not.  I personally do not like the browser and find it buggy.  hense my point of view on it.

there is no reason to fanboy white knight over it. the game as a whole is fine, i wont be playing it as it did not grab me like it did others. perhaps a few months down the road with some tweeks and polish i may try it again. but i fail to see how my point of view and experiance from playing the game is bitching and moaning.. seems you are the only one doing so here.

• wombat5x5wombat5x5 Member Posts: 3

I enjoyed the beta weekend a lot. No bugs, no crashes, browser worked great, graphics maxed out were nice. I was not sure at first, but after a bit of character progression and getting used to the controls, I had no issues with the gameplay. Although it did feel too themepark at times, when I slowed down and took things in, it wasn't an issue. The atmosphere and foreboding are great, however if you're just running through trying to "beat the game", you're going to miss out, and TSW probably isn't for you anyway. I'll buy on principle, because I respect and admire FC for creating something different and engaging. After AO and AOC, I felt like FC was a bit of a joke like most, but on my new gaming rig, TSW beta played smooth and was a real suprise. It also has a sense of mystery that NO mmo has ever had, which is fun. It reminds me of a Stephen King novel or something. Anyway, cheers all:)

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243
    Nope, am not going to support Funcom while they keep releasing unfinished games.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Calle1756

Lots of these replys have no reason in themself after Funcom have fixed lot of what you are mentioning. I don't know where you guys are from, but here in Norway where kids like you whiners have jobs, and they get paid very well. So worrying about p2p, sub and ingame cash shop is not an issue. Even for several games. Hold your negative emotions back until the game launches, and you get to see the story and the feeling of the game. It's not the combat you are paying for, it's a modern day setting, conspiracies, storyline like no other game. If you have been following the community through these years it has been amazing, with ARGs and international contests. 

Being negative to something new is trying to appear smart and cool. The Beta does not include the story, only the mechanics and the balance of the game, that are being tested and adjusted. If you have been playing other betas you would know that. I think this game will surprise a lot of you, and I can't wait for it to start in two weeks. I've bought GM for myself, so if you worry about paying sub -  you should too.

Unique modern setting, very strong and intriguing story, puzzles, complex customisation with tons of skills and builds, synergies, having to think and having to take paths and choices from time to time - very appealing for anyone wanting a somehow complex game. Shhh, don't turn the people who worry about the not-so-perfect combat animations, beta bugs (lol), character models, the way the character runs etc., i wish they find their perfect game and i wish even more that they stay there.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I just pre-ordered about 30 minutes ago.  It is only 49.99 and the first month is free.  The way I see it, if a game can keep me totally interested and i'll play it for a month long, $50 is a steal. 

I pay 90 dollars a month just to have an android cell phone, which is just to have a phone, so I can definitely put out $50 for a decently made game.

In no way shape or form am I rich, making the big bucks, or entitled to any money, I really should watch what I spend at this point, been out of work for almost 6 months now, but I still bought this game because it ended up being a great experience; totally different game style that I've ever played before, and I'm already having withdrawal from the beta that just ended. 

Not every game made is meant for everyone, but I've got a really good vibe with this game right now and can't wait until launch!  Hope to see some other enthusiasts as well!

• wombat5x5wombat5x5 Member Posts: 3

I agree. There is no "Holy Grail" out there for everybody. But more than anything, I believe the folks who woud appreciate TSW are the kind of people I'd want to game with. Been there done that sooooo many times with elves and orcs. At least this is fresh and different.

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

No, going to wait and see on this one.  Funcom is pushing it out half-baked, as usual.  Combat is particularly clunky, and somewhat annoying after playing this weekend for quite awhile.  Numerous other issues still need work.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Funcom + EA = NFW

Haha...well, I do have a tinfoil hat, but I'm not wearing it right now, I swear. If I need to be more precise, let me revise my original:

I have a few (at least 3) bad experiences with Funcom customer service related to my purchase of AoC. Through this direct personal experience, I have decided I don't want to give them any more money. So that brings me to:

Funcom = NW

Now, EA, in games where they did have control over the creative direction of a company, I don't like what they did. For that reason, I don't want to buy any game where EA is going to get a taste of my money. Therefore, I add the F.

EA = F

Hence: Funcom + EA = NFW

It is not any conspiracy theory here (so I didn't need the tinfoil hat this time). It is based on my past experiences with these companies and my decision to vote with my wallet and not give them my money. 

Since D3, I have added Activision-Blizzard to that list (unless patch 1.03 shows that they are not all about centering the game round the RMAH). I will now consider their Titan project the same way I consider TSW -- with extreme circumspection.

So that's my blacklist. 3 companies. 

If it turns out that TSW is an awesome game with a solid track-record of good reviews from reviewers I respect, then I will reconsider and purchase it. But based on my past experience, I will not pre-order. That's all I'm sayin'.