Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm shocked from the reaction here vs official forums

13»

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by GTwander

Probably because the official forums has way more damage control than these ones.

Just take a look at how the official SW:ToR ones are handled, it's no different than any other game. You just have to be somewhat lucky, or quick, to catch a hate thread before it's removed and the poster banned.

I think even more so than with TOR, because TOR was so huge.  There was a constant barrage of negative posts they had to deal with, whereas with TSW, it's just not stirring people up on the same scale.  Criticism is a lot easier to just sweep under the carpet.

Hmm. I think that the amount of hatred and passionate dislike on the SWTOR forums was a lot bigger by a larger portion of the visitors than when it comes to TSW. Plus it was really easy to troll there if you knew what you're doing. I could give names of people who were really brilliant in how they trolled or gave their criticisms without their posts getting deleted.

But you can also see it on this site: if you look at the criticism and outright haters that swarmed - still swarm - the SWTOR section here on this site, it has a far more downright hateful, vehement character with a lot of weird, far out criticisms than you see on the TSW section here, and I doubt that was any different before SWTOR's launch.

Of course, you'll always have a hard core of GW2 fanbois that troll all game forums here and bash as good as all games that aren't GW2, but that's a given and should just be regarded as a constant image

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by D3lit3
    There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums.  It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating.  This confuses me. 

negativity and mmorpg.com forums goes together like peas and carrooots.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

I was on the fence but after this weekend and at times watching general chat I am buying this game, why you might ask? I will tell you, because it will turn off the entitlement, I want it now with no effort crowd, I never saw soo many dumb questions asked by the same people over and over and over. These people do not take the time to figure out these investigation quests then scream in general the quest is broke, I have never played a game where I had to step back and think about what I was doing the way you do here. 

On top of that there are certain people on these forums that only like one game and will do everything in their power to bash any competition (just look at their post history). Play the beta and decide for yourself if the game is for you, after all the beta costs nothing but some time unlike another game that requires a cash outlay for the most part to even sample it.

Anyhow back to beta because I am having a freaking blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a lot of: "Quest must be bugged because it requires thinking"

It's like all these people have only ever played games that hold your hand and have flashing signs and arrows pointing to everything. Anyone who doesn't like a challenge and having to think a bit should avoid this and continue playing fisher price, flashing quest objective you will never miss, games.

No one remembers Kings Quest, Police Quest, Day of the Tenticle, Myst, 7th Guest...I can only hope that the quest difficulty in TSW ramps up. It's exciting to have quests that don't insult my intelligence.

What they are doing with the quests alone makes me want to buy this game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

The TSW forums are the most highly moderated forums I've ever posted on. Even before any public beta's threads where closed on a daily basis. The threads didnt even have to contain any whinging, trolling or otherwise. If funcom didnt like it or the mods thought the thread was pointless they were closed.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by jmlane223
    Originally posted by Alistair

Honestly this site has become about the worst place you can go for an opinion on any game, forums wise.  This is the place where anyone who has ever been burned by an MMO comes to seethe with hate and spread it, and it's been years since I've felt the need to post but this is a perfect opportunity.

Simply put, take everything you see here with a grain of salt, all the hope is gone.

In line with what I read in another forum thread, it is the changing of times. Where as MMO's used to be full of mature adult players, they are now filled with kids. The assumptions for this were varied (industry's fault for themepark games, etc.) but REALLY the problem is computer's becoming cheaper, as well as the internet being affordable (and almost available everywhere). I say this because when MMO's were first gaining popularity PC's were still not widely owned like they are now (and high end systems were even more scarce). Also parents made their kids go outside, where as today it is normal and OK for kids to be on the PC all day. 

So with that said, a combination of everyone being able to own a PC, and parents allowing kids to play on them as long as they want... the shift is that you get younger and younger gamers, so hence the immaturity compared to how things used to be. 

And, sadly for your rant, the opposite is true.  From:

Who plays, how much, and why? Debunking the stereotypical gamer profile

Dmitri Williams

Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California

This table is for EQs players, but holds across the MMO spectrum:

Table 1

Basic age range of EQ2 players

Age range Percentage Cumulative Percentage

Teens, 12–17 6.58 6.58

College-age, 18–22 12.40 19.09

Young adult, 23–29 26.27 45.61

Thirties, 30–39 36.69 82.64

Forties, 40–49 12.40 95.16

Fifty or older, 50–65 4.80 100.00

In short:  

19% are college age or younger.

17% are 40 and over.

The rest are in the middle.

And the gaming population is getting older.   Young people come in, but you have a lot of 50-somethings who play games have been playing games since Pong in the 1970s...     Right now the biggest growth demographic in gaming is social gaming for women over 30.

But hey, it's EASY to play the immature, spoiled gamer card when things don't work out...    That's what virutally all of the BioWare Defense Force does....   "Gamers these days, they're so immature now...  I used to have game uphill in a snowstorm while spinning the CD on my frozen fingers when I played Baldur's Gate ..."

My butt.   Gamers are OLDER now.  And one of the funny things about getting older is you get  less tolerant of being ripped off by second-rate crap.   Experience and working hard for your money, only to see it flushed down the toilet by some idiot developer, does that for you.  

When you're young and inexperienced and the parental units give you that fat allowance and pick up your gaming habit, it's easy to be tolerant.   You haven't paid for anything or worked hard to get it.   Plus, being young, you just haven't been exposed to enough to have the same in-depth perspective of what works, what doesn't, and how you've just been taken to the cleaners by some lying developer who over-promised and under-delivered a game you've been waiting for...

BTW, gamers are also more educated than the general population.    So don't go there either.   More college.   More advanced, graduate and professional degrees as well.   And gamers are healthier than the general population too.   Fewer health problems, more active in real life.

Tons of stereotypes.   All not true.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Vutar

There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums. 

It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating. 

This confuses me. 

This OP is the same person who posted this on the GW2 forum.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354472/Why-do-you-people-keep-doing-this.html

Comical.

Talk about irony :)

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums. 

It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating. 

This confuses me. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354472/Why-do-you-people-keep-doing-this.html

Comical.

This whole GW2 vs TSW thing reminds me of a very old cartoon I saw when I was a kid. The cartoon was about 2 nations who hated each other because in one, people put butter on top of their bread and in the other people put butter on the bottom.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Think about this.

This place takes a lot of heat for being overly negative, not indicitive.

Well what mmo has really been that successful after Wow? Hasn't most bled customer very soon after release? If you take the rubber hitting the road numbers, I guess the negative slant you get here is somewhat accurate of what is happening.

What you are getting is fans looking for a mmo at mmorpg, the official place has fans of the game already, generalizing.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by heartless

This confuses me. 

Comical.

This whole GW2 vs TSW thing reminds me of a very old cartoon I saw when I was a kid. The cartoon was about 2 nations who hated each other because in one, people put butter on top of their bread and in the other people put butter on the bottom.

Dr. Seuss was indeed the father of modern hate.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

Dr. Seuss was indeed the father of modern hate.

Damn him!! image image

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

This confuses me. 

People here would prefer to point out the negative, real or percieved, than just enjoy a game it seems.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

It's the internet.  The only thing that matters is who's playing come launch.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

This confuses me. 

MMORPG.com forums are basically the /b/ equivalent of internet gaming forums.  We have the largest concentration of trolls, jaded/embittered gamers, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Kyleran

Says the one-poster who just joined vs many people who've experienced the heavy handedness of Funcom sponsored forums both past and present.

Hmf. I could've said the same as the guy, but I thought it would've been of little use, you'll always have people who'll feel wrongfully moderated or unjustly treated no matter what. I never had many problems no matter what I posted on either the AoC and TSW forums, only with 1 AoC mod who got a habit of going too far, Tahitoa, but after she left, no problems.

But test it yourself, spout your criticisms on those forums in a constructive manner and see what happens image

... and no, inb4 smartass retort: the one-poster wasn't an alias account or such of mine, I know how the forum PvP is done here image

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Let's stick to discussing the game instead of the people discussing the game. ;)

This discussion has been closed.