Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it be enough...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Will all the beauty and innovation in this game be enough to ;

a) Give old time MMO fanatics a new and fresh MMO experience.

b) Hold people currently burned out on MMO´s attention for longer then 2 months.

c) Attract more and more new players after the initial release.

d) Hold peoples attention when they reach max level

e) Forget about that other game

f) Hold sanbox players attention with the WvWvW part and the DE´s in PvE

Will it be enough.... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Yes

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Yes.

Everyone's attention? No, of course not.

Most people's attention? Yep, I think so. This thing's got legs. Especially once the depth of the world and some of the systems starts to get explored...and once the social play and server communities really start to kick in.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I can only speak for myself - No. Not by a long shot.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

no

• loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24

For me personally? Yes.

For everyone? No chance. GW2 has so different game philosophy from other MMOs that it simply won't cater to a lot of people. You can already see it in some of the beta's feedback: people don't know what to do when they simply go from one renown heart to another like they're used to do with quest hubs, and they will be similarly vocal when it comes to dungeon loot and so forth.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Fozzik

Yes.

Everyone's attention? No, of course not.

Most people's attention? Yep, I think so. This thing's got legs. Especially once the depth of the world and some of the systems starts to get explored...and once the social play and server communities really start to kick in.

Are you sure that they will hold the attention of most people for over 2 months? I believe that is a lot to ask from a MMORPG.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

b) Hold people currently burned out on MMO´s attention for longer then 2 months.

Will it be enough.... 

a) maybe- depend on how causal allergic they have become

b) NO - real burned out does need a break, no matter how good a game is. If not real burnouts, this game might work

c) Yes - its just like GW1 in that sense.

d) depends - its just like GW1 in that sense.

e) NO - that other game is based on addictions to certain types of gameplay that GW2 does not support.

f) NO real sandbox players will find GW2 way to themepark guided and way to causal to hold their attention. They will though enjoy GW2 alot, but leave it for real sandbox stuff. (they are sandbox player right !!)

my predictions, but actual most of the questions the answer give itself because of the wording.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

No, this is 2012, MMOs don't hold peoples attention anymore.

• AdokaumAdokaum Member UncommonPosts: 84

Everyone has ADHD these days, i'd be surprised if any mmo would be popular past the first month. Although GW2 has plenty of sparkly notifications about achievements and all sorts of things like that, so that instant gratification might keep people interested.

Not bashing, GW fanboy myself, but realistically speaking that's probably what'll happen. 

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

I can already see signs in some people I've played with on this or the other BWE, that they're not going to stick around fairly long... probably a month or 2...   and that's fine.  They've been pretty hopeless drifters for a while now, makes me wonder why they're still hanging out in gaming communities in the first place.  They're also not the majority either which gives me a lot more hope for Gw2.  Everyone else keeps saying Gw2 needs to hurry up and come out so they can play it for the rest of the year.   (and me, well I played the first one again today like I've always done for 7 years runnin so I'm no flight risk that's for sure)

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Lets release the game and find out!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Personally i think that many of the drifters will keep moving on and returning to GW2, why? Well, because there is no sub.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I'm not sure the 2 month rule applies to this because it's usually sub games that see a decline. Wtihout fees people can wait for all the updates they want and not pay for the time in between. I can see this making coming back to the game easier even after a burnout. They are aware that gamers play many different games and they just want Guild Wars 2 to be one of those games you can come back to.

I put down GW1 for years and only recently picked it back up for another few months. It was a nice surprise (the numerous updates it had accquired) coming back to it. I can only assume GW2 will do the same. New DEs, new hidden jumping puzzles, new recipes from the forge, new dungeons in WvW, new dungeons in PvE, holiday events. That's for unpaid content. I hope their paid content / expansions can live upto our expectations in the future. 

I might burn out after finishing all the story chains, completing all the zones and finding as many jumping puzzles as I'm bothered to. That's still a pretty decent amount of game though. There might be new DEs the second time I visit a zone. I noticed a few new ones in the BWE2.

If WoW were like this I would still be playing / going back to it without thinking that each daily I miss was money down the drain.

Oh right. My answer is Yes. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

a) c) Yes (unless old = sandbox)

The others -> since the game isn't sub based, I say it doesn't matter. Like in GW1, I came back when expansions were released. This game has far more content than GW1 though.

Pleasing the sandbox crowd and holding them in place with the current features: haha no. The sandbox crowd should most likely go outside until something good comes along :D

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Will it be enough.... 

a) It is a new and fresh experience, the problem is many people won't see it and claim it's one of the same.

b) If they are burned out they shouldn't rush, so the game will keep their attention for longer than 2 months easily. Rushing while burnt out should be avoided

c) The game will only grow in popularity and attract players from other genres. "If you don't like MMOs, you have to see Guild Wars 2" is an amazing phrase that is definitely true . So I suspect more and more new players to come, from various gaming backgrounds

d) The content is enough, level scaling is perfect and there is so much to do with an Alt that playing after max level is probable. From what I hear you continue getting skill points after level 80 (there is still progression). Old MMOers will probably leave after they reach the cap because there is no raiding but others will stay, why do people play single player RPGs over and over? Of course the PVPers will stay so we will only miss the "raiders", the game is not for them anyway.

e) I've already forgot all other MMOs after playing in the BWE. There is no reason to look back, other MMOs have their one strengths that simply don't appeal to me. And certainly they don't appeal to people who hate MMOs (those who will come and try Guild Wars 2)

f) It won't hold sandbox players because it's not sandbox. But it will keep role players and immersion freaks for a long long time since it is better than anything else on that regard. As a long time role player I don't think I've experienced anything better than GW2 in an online environment.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Will it be enough.... 

I'll plead the fifth for now, but this is what I will say. It's the only relatively recent release that has me wanting to play more and given me that "damn why CAN'T I play right now!" feeling. Last game that did that for me was a long time ago, and I ended up playing for years. 

I'm also an altholic and the different play experience you get from different classes will probably provide at least medium-term entertainment as I try to "master" them all in time...

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Will it be enough.... 

A) Yes

B) Yes. There enough content to hold people for more than 2 months. Dungeons, gathering, crafting, exploration, personal story, renown hearts, DEs,  WvW, sPvP. The caveat is that they will need to introduce enough on going content to keep people playing

C) Maybe. idk what ANet's plans are post-release. If they keep content flowing, then GW2 will see years of fun. If they decide to be lazy (which I doubt), then GW2 is in for some rough times.

D) Yes and no. For those who enjoy dungeons, gathering, crafting, exploration, personal story, renown hearts, DEs,  WvW, or sPvP, there will be plenty to do after you reach 80. For those who don't enjoy any of that and just want to reach level 80 to complain about a lack of endgame, then there's nothing that can be done for them. Telling them that the entire game is endgame, that there are explorable versions of dungeons, or that there are nooks and crannies that they have not seen (100% map completetion DOES NOT mean you have seen all DEs on the map) will not phase them. They will be determined only to do content with a tag that says "level 80 recommended/required" or none at all.

E) No, and that was never the point. For some people, GW2 will be the only MMO/game that they play for a period of time; that's awesome. For others, GW2 will be their main game and they will dabble with other games on the side; that's awesome. For even more people, some other game or MMO will be their main game and they will dabble with GW2 on the side; that's awesome. The point have not having subs is not simply to lower the barrier for entry. It is so that people can enjoy the game when they want, how they want, and on their own terms.

F) Maybe. WvW will definitely be where some people hang out almost exclusively. DEs, however, will eventually all be seen. It may take several months, but I'm sure some uber explorers will somehow see every DE at least once. This then goes back to point B; if ANet can keep content flowing, the consumer will be happy. If not, then the consumer will have a rough time.

In short, GW2 will be great for most people and not enough for others. Play the PvE like an RPG (think Skyrim, DA, or Fable), and you'll be fine. Just remember what you can do in PvE: Dungeons, gathering, crafting, exploration, personal story, renown hearts, and DEs.

Enjoy the WvW and sPvP? You'll be fine as long as ANet maintains balance on a regular basis (no more than 1-2 weeks to address glaring balance issues in PvP)

Play the game like a renown heart connect the dots and wonder why you are underleveled, then you may not enjoy the game.

Zerg to 80 and wonder where the endgame is at, then you may not enjoy the game.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

For myself, and a surprising amount of coworkers and old TOR guildies--yes, definitely yes. Obviously you can never be 100% sure until you've played through the game, but for more than a few of them it's rekindled that old magic WoW had, for the first time. Speaking for myself (I never played WoW much), it's so far captured my attention in a way that I doubt will easily wear off. GW1 was not nearly as good and ArenaNet kept it going for a long time, I can see this one lasting a lot longer for me at least.

If others don't hold on quite as long, no big deal. ArenaNet will still have made the sales and will likely draw them back in with each expansion.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

I think lack of content is not the issue.

If you see reaching max level as "the end", then no, the game will probably not hold you for more than 2 months. Most people will feel bored without a gear treadmill, but that's fine, there are plenty of games for that audience already. But if you're willing to explore, socialize, craft, etc., then yeah, it might hold you for years, GW1 is an example of that.

Guild Wars 2 is not a game for everyone, unfortunately, it can't be tailor made to suit everybody's needs. It is a game that's different from the usual and will satisfy people who are either new to the genre or unhappy with other MMOs on the market.

Also, since there's no subscription, there's nothing stopping you from playing nonstop for 2 months and leaving it until the next expansion comes out. Those 2 months will still be worth the box price.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

Dunno about everyone else, but I can't I just can't go back to playing the traditional MMOs, everytime I try and go back on a few of them, I end up exiting the game 5 minutes in.

GW2 has changed the way I play an MMO now.

Even when Blade n Soul and Arch Age are released I won't be able to play those either because of how traditional they are (even with the exception of some quite amazing gameplay features of Arch Age) and that they are both korean grindfest mmos.

I'm curious to see what Blizzard's new MMO holds in store.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

If Gw1 could hold my attention for 3 years, then GW2 will do more than that.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Will it be enough.... 

A) Been playing MMOs since Gemstone. I can safely say"Depends on your definition of new and fresh". There are NO new ideas. But this game puts a refreshing twist on old ones, and makes it fun. That's what matters to me.

B) We'll see. Depends on how much you like WvW, and also how much Anet updates content.

C) If the game is good enough, word of mouth will do that.

D) See B.

E) I haven't logged into another MMO in 4 months. None of them hold up anymore.

F) Probably not. This isn't a sandbox game. That's all there is to it.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Maybe, It's certainly the first MMO I've played in years that actually feels like an MMO and not a bad sinlge player RPG (and I use the term very lightly) with an auction house.

Depends if they give in to the whiners and drop the difficulty / up the exp rate etc. At the moment it's about right, but if it gets any easier it's going to start to get boring. Not to mention that there needs to enough difficultly there to force you to take advantage of the combat system and not just turn into another 1 trick pony.

With no sub fee, and as word of month gets around it could gain popularity... I don't expect it would get beyond about 1-2 million though.

Maybe.. if the PvP / WvWvW is good enough. There seems to be a lot of world to explore though, and again, no sub means you can keep comming back.

Doubt it.

No idea.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I wouldn't speak for everyone, and I do think there will obviously be a large portion of players that GW2 just does nothing for. I'd be more surprised if it appealed to everyone.

I however, haven't loved a game this much since my early MMO days (the honeymoon era of roughly 99-02ish). That speaks volumes for me. That's a decades worth of a lot of mediocre gaming experiences and a lot of wishful thinking. 

I'd thought that to achieve what GW2 does for me with it's game flow and feel it would have had to come in a sandbox package, I was completely wrong. The shortest way of summing it up would be to say that on paper, my ideal MMO would have taken a long and convoluted list of features and design decisions to get close to the experience I was after, GW2 provides almost that exact experience with a design that's nothing like what I would have assumed it would have to be.

They did it better than I could have. As we're all pros and usually (always?) know more about game design and development than developers, that's not something you'll have heard me say at all in the past 12 years.

As for holding my attention at max level, this was my major concern - longevity. I will play sPvP and WvW, but if there's no PvE or long term pve goals, would I keep playing? Then we got to see just how much there is to do for the completionists, explorers and collectors and I wasn't worried. The amount of horizontal progression available from day 1 is already impressive.

The idea of MMO progression that revolves around acquiring the coolest looking character(s) I can possibly get is brilliant. With so many opportunities to acquire rare, hard to find and hard to obtain skins (especially if their guesstimates at how often we'll see new ones is even close to accurate), I'll have plenty of goals to work on. I found that as other games started to really focus mainly on *just* the endgame gear raiding progression, all the horizontal growth that went along with that in, well, the game that started raiding and that these games immitate, EQ, got swept aside (apart from in EQ2 which despite its many many flaws, has probably the best horizontal progression available.).

Will it be enough to make players forget about other games? We've already seen this, how many times on forums across the internet have people that enjoy GW2 commented on how hard it is to enjoy other games after GW2? I'm in the same boat, but the games I'd be forgetting about I haven't played in 8+ years anyway. 

So, the only one that's even a question for me is longevity, which was a concern that's mostly been mollified by what I've seen in the betas and just how many layers of things there are to work on.

• EtherlothEtherloth Member UncommonPosts: 47

Sure, every game has something new that is nice to discover, specially GW2 - Not all that they claim to be new is THAT new actually, specially for the older gamers here... but still, refreshing. I am an old UO/EQ player and still see the attractive of this game this past BWEs...

Two months sounds like a big landmark in MMO industry. The first month is spent in the novelty, graphic environment, learning curve to know how to play the class you choose, etc... After that the second month is very important because will mark the rest of your journey in game, what i mean is, depends on the guild you get into, the friends/foes you find, the good/bad luck you have finding groups/activities, etc...

Its almost assured that everyone will stay for the first two months. But after seeing what the game has to offer, i am afraid that for a big percentage of the population the whole WwWwW will get old, DEs become boring and repetitive, and lack of raiding /end game will get obviously taxating, after that lots of people will leave. This is where the business model of GW2 enters in action, since is subscription free, soon or later that players will come back, i am hoping in rotation so the playerbase numbers will remain healthy.

c) Attract more and more new players after the initial release

The hype will do that, it has been doing it since a year ago and keeps growing, when tales about WwWvW and other warfare ops spread through the net, it will trap a bunch of new players, how long wil they stay in game is a different story, yet again, refer to my last paragraph.

Depends if they implement high level dungeons/mini raids or not. WvWvW gets old easily...

Like in love, we always use the new one to forget the previous...

No, since its not a sandbox and DEs + WwWwW (since is not an static environment but more like a long-term BG) has nothing to do with sandbox games

Will it be enough.... 

The 2cps of an old player.

Eth.