Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tis a shame :-/

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    On sales d3 will be gory, but as an actual game it doesn't deserve it.

Gw2 is better imo, but tsw is still a good mmo. if tsw had come out last year or any time over the last 5 years or so it would be mmo of the year no problem, much better mmo than swtor, rift, Aoc, war, aion etc..
  • TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Animations were pretty fugly, same foes with just about any of the males  you could make with the character customization (big heads).

Combat felt kinda meh, felt like I was pounding keys just like any other MMO. I will give it the story and immersion though, they were spot on. Cutscenes were nice too.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

I am going to have to agree unfortunately. I was excited for it and I love the setting and idea of it but I just found the combat a bit dull for me.

Although I didnt get too far and it may get better with the more you play? I dont know

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

The amusing part is the ones that think they have done investigation quests when in reality they have only done a side quests, story quests or action quest with a twist. "Ooh it's so easy". Yeah it's easy, but that's because you are doing the more normal quests in TSW. TSW is a game which has added two types of new quests: sabotage and investigation quests. They haven't removed the other types of quests.

The problem I have is that after a hunderd hours or so all those interesting quests (the about 1% of the total quests that are) are gone and all your left with is bland combat and character animations that look like the upper and lower parts of your body are connected by a slinky.

Well that and a half dozen hair styles and a cash shop with all the clothing in it.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.

I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.

Originally posted by Berikai

I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.

I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.

What is in the game to keep poeple around for more than 30-60 days?  Once you work though the story quests and get to end game what else is there?  There isn't much of a gear grind and the PVP leaves a lot to be desired so I'm having a hard time seeing how most people will treat this as more than a single player game.  

My guess is it will go a lot like SWTOR only on a bit smaller scale.  Sell 500K or so boxes, retain a tenth of them after 60 days, go F2P in 9-12 months (yes I'm assuing TOR will be F2P by year end but I think it's a safe bet).

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by udon

What is in the game to keep poeple around for more than 30-60 days?  Once you work though the story quests and get to end game what else is there?  There isn't much of a gear grind and the PVP leaves a lot to be desired so I'm having a hard time seeing how most people will treat this as more than a single player game.  

My guess is it will go a lot like SWTOR only on a bit smaller scale.  Sell 500K or so boxes, retain a tenth of them after 60 days, go F2P in 9-12 months (yes I'm assuing TOR will be F2P by year end but I think it's a safe bet).

PVP leaves a lot to be desired? interesting because PVP isn't even open to public for testing yet. After two months of gameplay you will have skills to max out which will take good amount of time. There will be PVP, dungeons like GW2 not gear based grind but for challenge. 

TSW is not a gear based grinder, it was never designed that way. Its main strength is its skill based progression. It is ok to take a break from MMO by the way, people are not obliged or under compulsion to play a MMO reguarly for 6 months to one year. Had fun for 60 days? good take a break and come back later with fresh mind I do that all the time.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.   I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.

Lol love how you and people like you make predictions like that :) highly doubt your CEO/COO material, especially with your type if predictions. I will be laughing when the games celebrating its 3 year anniversy still under the p2p model.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You do grind gear in tsw, but what it isn't is a vertical progression tiered raiding game. Beyond a certain point you're not going for more raw power, your going for alternate sets of gear to support your various decks. They have a clever way of gatin content, so its not about raw stats, and is instead about requiring multiple decks to run a dungeon. E.g. a normal dungeon requires your typical tank / healer / support / 2 dps setup. Your hard mode will use that some fights, but other fights will need 2 tanks, or 2 healers or lots of cc. Your very hard mode needs stuff like all rdps for 1 fight etc..

It's not an endgame type of game,it's about the story and settings.It reminds me of UO with the way you can get all these abilities and skills.To me it's just one of those games that's about the adventure and not endgame.I'm enjoying it more than I ever did TOR,but that's me.

I can see them adding more locales and story on a regular basis and that's enough for me out of this game.Spending time in multiple games is kinda my thing.Pay a sub for a couple and play 1-2 other's that are free or I have a life sub,that's just how I like to do things.Many people will not like this game at all and that's fine.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Berikai I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.   I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.

I think this game is fostering a very strong, healthy community. That is something TOR lacks, imho and I think its one of the main things that will give TSW some legs. Longevity based in a strong community is an excellent foundation for an mmo because it gives support and feedback the devs need to create a better game over time.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Berikai I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.   I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.

I think this game is fostering a very strong, healthy community. That is something TOR lacks, imho and I think its one of the main things that will give TSW some legs. Longevity based in a strong community is an excellent foundation for an mmo because it gives support and feedback the devs need to create a better game over time.

^^^^^^

Can you give a example of how it's "fostering a very strong, healthy community" that TOR doesn't do?

Can you give a example of how it's "fostering a very strong, healthy community" that TOR doesn't do?

He means a small community is better than aiming for millions and fall flat on your face few months later. TSW beta has 3 servers in total now comapre that to SWTOR beta. TSW was never designed for mass consumption. It was always aimed towards the niche market so that devs can focus more on development and improvement and stay in touch with their dedicated player base.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by udon Originally posted by Berikai I'm not going to say it's a great game,but I think it will have a decent following.The combat is average,graphics are decent,but the setting and missions/puzzles are what I'm feeling.It's actually surprised me as I wasn't even interested in the game.but now I like it.   I don't expect it to have even 500k subs out of the gate.After the dust settles 6 month's in I can see 200k-300k enjoying this game.It is just different enough for myself that it stands out and I've preordered and look forward to release.
    What is in the game to keep poeple around for more than 30-60 days?  Once you work though the story quests and get to end game what else is there?  There isn't much of a gear grind and the PVP leaves a lot to be desired so I'm having a hard time seeing how most people will treat this as more than a single player game.     My guess is it will go a lot like SWTOR only on a bit smaller scale.  Sell 500K or so boxes, retain a tenth of them after 60 days, go F2P in 9-12 months (yes I'm assuing TOR will be F2P by year end but I think it's a safe bet).  

Compare each game's general forums.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by Sameer1979

He means a small community is better than aiming for millions and fall flat on your face few months later. TSW beta has 3 serveres in total now comapre that to SWTOR beta. TSW was never designed for mass consumption. It was always aimed towards the niche market so that devs can focus more on development and improvement and stay in touch with their dedicated player base.

Do you really believe that when Funcom was pitching TSW to its investors that anywhere in the design documents it said they where not aiming for mass comsuption?  

TSW is just one more in a trend of MMO's that have been built from the ground up as Single Player games with MMO features tacked on.  I honestly don't even think that companies care about subs anymore instead they shoot for as many box sales as they can squeeze out than get a few months of subs out of the game before switching over to F2P.

He means a small community is better than aiming for millions and fall flat on your face few months later. TSW beta has 3 serveres in total now comapre that to SWTOR beta. TSW was never designed for mass consumption. It was always aimed towards the niche market so that devs can focus more on development and improvement and stay in touch with their dedicated player base.

Do you really believe that when Funcom was pitching TSW to its investors that anywhere in the design documents it said they where not aiming for mass comsuption?  

TSW is just one more in a trend of MMO's that have been built from the ground up as Single Player games with MMO features tacked on.  I honestly don't even think that companies care about subs anymore instead they shoot for as many box sales as they can squeeze out than get a few months of subs out of the game before switching over to F2P.

Everything from the settings, design and the amount of server they opened for beta it is quite obvious they were not going for mass consumption. Not every MMO needs 5 to 10 million playerbase to be a success. Maybe after AOC, Funcom finally learned it is better to start small and rather fcous on small player base than aim for millions? and not having the ridiculous budget like SWTOR also helps because they are not under pressure to recoup their investment as quick as possible.

The game can really frustrate people who are not used to this style of questing where game makes you look around and search for objectives. And i have already seen players getting frustrated in game. So nope it is not made for mass consumption at all.

Yea I'd say they want as many box sales as possible,but at the same time I don't see them publicly stating they're going for WOW numbers either.Pretty sure TOR was shooting for WOW numbers.

It's like,do you shoot for the moon and take a chance on looking foolish,or do you keep it reasonable and within reach?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Rowein

Five minutes of gameplay waas enough for me. 

I struggled to get past character creation where every male toon looks like a combination of a Bruce Lee/Tony Hawk clone and all the females looked like males.

Then I entered the game, jumped once and was done.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

I struggled to get past character creation where every male toon looks like a combination of a Bruce Lee/Tony Hawk clone and all the females looked like males.

Never play Donkey Kong, could be to hard for you to outlive it.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I watched the login screen. Realized right there this was the most amazing mmorpg in a long time.

I think you put too much effort into the game. One jump? that was oone thorough gameplay session. Must be exhausting.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

then I hardly think this game was going to be to your liking since these are the things you choose to be picky about.

Essentially you are saying you dowloaded 12 gig plus in order to see character creation and jump.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by cippalippa

Never play Donkey Kong, could be to hard for you to outlive it.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I watched the login screen. Realized right there this was the most amazing mmorpg in a long time.

I think you put too much effort into the game. One jump? that was oone thorough gameplay session. Must be exhausting.

Originally posted by Sovrath

then I hardly think this game was going to be to your liking since these are the things you choose to be picky about.

Essentially you are saying you dowloaded 12 gig plus in order to see character creation and jump.

Yes, instead of bashing the game that others will like and play, but I guess that's hard for some to comprehend.

Lmao comedic! Guy spends 50 minutes fucking with the placeholder CC logs in to game, press space bar twice, takes a minute to comprehend what just happened, logged out and resumed porn-surfing... we got a winner here fellas!

This discussion has been closed.