Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

June 15 update question about wipe

7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member

I haven't been following DF for a while, but the last update about the promotion starting on June 27 caught my eye. Since there are increased skillgains, I was wondering how much character progression we will be able to bring into DF2.

 

Has there been any update on the wipe issue since March?

Comments

  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by 7star

    I haven't been following DF for a while, but the last update about the promotion starting on June 27 caught my eye. Since there are increased skillgains, I was wondering how much character progression we will be able to bring into DF2.

     

    Has there been any update on the wipe issue since March?

    no

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • SnoepieSnoepie RotterdamPosts: 470Member
    Originally posted by 7star

    I haven't been following DF for a while, but the last update about the promotion starting on June 27 caught my eye. Since there are increased skillgains, I was wondering how much character progression we will be able to bring into DF2.

     

    Has there been any update on the wipe issue since March?

    none knows since there is no info on this topic..

     

    the increase skillgains will come indeed.. i don't think 27 june tho.. there will be prolly some issues again..

     

    but take my word for it... none knows about whipe yes or no..

  • furidiamfuridiam lincoln, ILPosts: 137Member Common

    simple actually. If they are going to let all current players max out, then there is going to be a wipe:)

  • stuxstux Lake Forest, ILPosts: 462Member

    They haven't really answered the question directly.

     

    In thier indirect way they have implied they are going to wipe.

     

     

  • drakes821drakes821 Magnoll, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon

    They said in the June 15 announcement they will have a development plan soon (of course "soon" in AV terms could mean anything) so hopefully in a month or so we'll know.

    To answer your question assume there will be a complete wipe for DF 2.0. Logically if they aren't going to wipe the game they would announce it immidiately as it would help convince new players to start playing, so based on the fact they have yet to announce the wipe status and have been dodging the question I think it's safe to say they will wipe.

    But also don't expect DF 2.0 anytime soon, I'd guess we'd be lucky to get it in 2013. If your interested in the game I'd deffinately give it a go with the new skill gains, I know I'll be trying it out again as I've previously quit because of the grind.

  • 7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member

    The wipe is why I'm not currently subbed. I really got into DF and put a lot of time into developing my character. Like many people, my time to play is limited, so I don't want to "waste" it if there is going to be a wipe. Of course, people say the fun you get playing is it's own reward, and that may be true. But some people (including me) like the character progression aspect of an mmorpg.

     

    I will look forward to the development updates that were indicated and hopefully we can find out about the wipe and what it means for current players.

     

    My timing seems to have been a bit off. I really got into DF when the wipe rumors came up and I decided not to put more time into my character.  Similar thing happened to me with Star Wars Galaxies. I finally found out about the game and got into playing it. I really liked it. This was about 2 weeks before the announcment came that SWG was going to be shut down. It's hilarious that the games I like best are doomed. 

     

    Fortunately, we have a lot of games to choose from and new ones coming out all the time. I'm looking forward to DF2 --  whatever the deal with the wipe.

  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by 7star

    The wipe is why I'm not currently subbed. I really got into DF and put a lot of time into developing my character. Like many people, my time to play is limited, so I don't want to "waste" it if there is going to be a wipe. Of course, people say the fun you get playing is it's own reward, and that may be true. But some people (including me) like the character progression aspect of an mmorpg.

     

    I will look forward to the development updates that were indicated and hopefully we can find out about the wipe and what it means for current players.

     

    My timing seems to have been a bit off. I really got into DF when the wipe rumors came up and I decided not to put more time into my character.  Similar thing happened to me with Star Wars Galaxies. I finally found out about the game and got into playing it. I really liked it. This was about 2 weeks before the announcment came that SWG was going to be shut down. It's hilarious that the games I like best are doomed. 

     

    Fortunately, we have a lot of games to choose from and new ones coming out all the time. I'm looking forward to DF2 --  whatever the deal with the wipe.

    guess you keep waiting till the last minute to try an mmorpg. ou also have to consider that 2.0 may very well never materialise. I dont think that would actually surprise anyone. Also you could try Mortal Online once its expansion launches within the next month until darkfall has an offical verdict on the wipe situation.

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • ChaosChestChaosChest dunedin, FLPosts: 91Member
    Yes there will be a wipe.
     
     
  • karmathkarmath Posts: 829Member Uncommon

    Ugh. It has been stated numerous times there will be no wipe for 2.0. Read the offical forums.

  • drakes821drakes821 Magnoll, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by karmath

    Ugh. It has been stated numerous times there will be no wipe for 2.0. Read the offical forums.

    Really? You have no idea what you are talking about. AV has dodged the wipe question for a long time now and there is no official answer on it.

  • -Zeno--Zeno- Posts: 1,298Member Common
    Originally posted by karmath

    Ugh. It has been stated numerous times there will be no wipe for 2.0. Read the offical forums.

    Because it's a "new game" and DF1.0 will continue on.

    The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

  • psykobillypsykobilly NYC, NYPosts: 338Member
    Originally posted by drakes821
    Originally posted by karmath

    Ugh. It has been stated numerous times there will be no wipe for 2.0. Read the offical forums.

    Really? You have no idea what you are talking about. AV has dodged the wipe question for a long time now and there is no official answer on it.

    Not only have they dodged the question... they have also said that 'a wipe won't matter' which could mean you will be able to quickly max out a character, so wipe or not won't make much difference.  

    If the quick max approach is what they take...  I'll be disappointed.  I didn't mind the tough gains of Darkfall at EU release, but the caps need to be there.

     

     

     

     

     

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member
    Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by drakes821
    Originally posted by karmath

    Ugh. It has been stated numerous times there will be no wipe for 2.0. Read the offical forums.

    Really? You have no idea what you are talking about. AV has dodged the wipe question for a long time now and there is no official answer on it.

    Not only have they dodged the question... they have also said that 'a wipe won't matter' which could mean you will be able to quickly max out a character, so wipe or not won't make much difference.  

    If the quick max approach is what they take...  I'll be disappointed.  I didn't mind the tough gains of Darkfall at EU release, but the caps need to be there.

     

     

     

     

     

    I dont know why people really even care.

    I mean yeah it would be nice to know, but a deal breaker enough to send me into a protesting rage? not even close.

    I dont play anymore but if I did I would play because I enjoy it, not becuase I am making some investment in a wipe/no wipe stradegy which if I didnt like playing it would be silly for me to continue regardless of wipes anyway.

    radical thinking...i know i know

    Correlation does not imply causation

  • drakes821drakes821 Magnoll, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

    I dont know why people really even care.

    I mean yeah it would be nice to know, but a deal breaker enough to send me into a protesting rage? not even close.

    I dont play anymore but if I did I would play because I enjoy it, not becuase I am making some investment in a wipe/no wipe stradegy which if I didnt like playing it would be silly for me to continue regardless of wipes anyway.

    radical thinking...i know i know

    People care because in DF it takes months to get your character ready for PvP. Honestly the game isn't really fun at all for the first couple of months it's more of an investment because your working toward leveling your character so you can PvP. Because of this people are turned away since it doesn't make much sense to put all that time into a character that may be earsed at an unknown date.

    That's why the promotion is a good idea because it will hopefully lessen the grind greatly so more people will start playing  with or without a wipe.

  • enticleenticle Kelowna, BCPosts: 32Member
    Originally posted by 7star

    The wipe is why I'm not currently subbed. I really got into DF and put a lot of time into developing my character. Like many people, my time to play is limited, so I don't want to "waste" it if there is going to be a wipe. Of course, people say the fun you get playing is it's own reward, and that may be true. But some people (including me) like the character progression aspect of an mmorpg.

     

    I will look forward to the development updates that were indicated and hopefully we can find out about the wipe and what it means for current players.

     

    My timing seems to have been a bit off. I really got into DF when the wipe rumors came up and I decided not to put more time into my character.  Similar thing happened to me with Star Wars Galaxies. I finally found out about the game and got into playing it. I really liked it. This was about 2 weeks before the announcment came that SWG was going to be shut down. It's hilarious that the games I like best are doomed. 

     

    Fortunately, we have a lot of games to choose from and new ones coming out all the time. I'm looking forward to DF2 --  whatever the deal with the wipe.

     

    I've never understood this mentality. You are playing a game which in itself is essentially a waste of time. If you enjoy what you are doing it is not a waste of time. Basically it all comes down to are you having fun? Yes, then stay. No, then move and either wait for change or find something more appealing. It's just like not playing a game because it will close down eventually or a new release will come out. 
     
    I haven't played DF much in the past year due to some personal issues, but I will be back when this promo starts. Considering what you said it could be a waste of time. With there being a very high chance of a wipe with the release of 2.0. I will still be enjoying my time, like I have in the past playing with friends. Doesn't matter if the game is gone in a month or a few years, as long as I'm enjoying myself it is time well spent. If you want your progression to always be there and never have to worry about it going anywhere, you should probably invest your time into a game like WoW or Runescape. I doubt those games will be going anywhere anytime soon.
     
    While Av have stated in the past that they will not wipe. It's unreasonable to think that this would still be the case. Character progression will be meaningless when the increased skill gains come. Also with them basically remaking the entire game and adding new skills/spells I would find it ridiculous to even consider them moving items/stats to the new game.
     
    I'm sure we can all agree on that Av has screwed up on DF and hopefully with the release of 2.0 things will be set straight. Or somewhat more in line anyways.
  • 7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by enticle
    I've never understood this mentality. You are playing a game which in itself is essentially a waste of time. If you enjoy what you are doing it is not a waste of time. Basically it all comes down to are you having fun? Yes, then stay. No, then move and either wait for change or find something more appealing. It's just like not playing a game because it will close down eventually or a new release will come out. 
     
    I haven't played DF much in the past year due to some personal issues, but I will be back when this promo starts. Considering what you said it could be a waste of time. With there being a very high chance of a wipe with the release of 2.0. I will still be enjoying my time, like I have in the past playing with friends. Doesn't matter if the game is gone in a month or a few years, as long as I'm enjoying myself it is time well spent. If you want your progression to always be there and never have to worry about it going anywhere, you should probably invest your time into a game like WoW or Runescape. I doubt those games will be going anywhere anytime soon.
     
    While Av have stated in the past that they will not wipe. It's unreasonable to think that this would still be the case. Character progression will be meaningless when the increased skill gains come. Also with them basically remaking the entire game and adding new skills/spells I would find it ridiculous to even consider them moving items/stats to the new game.
     
    I'm sure we can all agree on that Av has screwed up on DF and hopefully with the release of 2.0 things will be set straight. Or somewhat more in line anyways.

    People just have different things they enjoy. I like building a character. That's part of the fun for me.  Maybe because I don't have  any RL friends that play this game, the progression aspect becomes more important to me. I don't know. It's just what's fun to me.

     

    It's kind of a dig isn't it, to resort to the old "go play WoW" trope?

  • enticleenticle Kelowna, BCPosts: 32Member
    Originally posted by 7star

    People just have different things they enjoy. I like building a character. That's part of the fun for me.  Maybe because I don't have  any RL friends that play this game, the progression aspect becomes more important to me. I don't know. It's just what's fun to me.

     

    It's kind of a dig isn't it, to resort to the old "go play WoW" trope?

    Well if you put 2 and 2 together from what Av has said and the way they are talking about the whole wipe issue as of lately. It's fairly safe to assume that there will be a wipe. Also character progression will be meaningless once this promotion starts. So if you enjoy darkfall for what it is right now, then I'd play it. If not then I wouldn't bother. They probably won't say anything concrete about whether or not a wipe is happening untill 2.0 is close to releasing.

    Also yes I did, it's in your best interest if you don't want to lose your character progression. With new skills and spells being added to 2.0 and them redoing pretty much everything, it seems like everything you worked for in darkfall will probably be lost.

    It's all speculation, no one knows, we can only assume. You won't get an answer out of the developers.

Sign In or Register to comment.