Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If it is true that SWTOR cost near 500mil...

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Between development and ads it was probably over $300 million.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Valentina

The cost of voice acting is nowhere NEAR that expensive, for any voice over project. I know this from personal experience when a voice over film project can cost anywhere from 14 million to a very unusual high of 100 million (very, very, very rare) and that includes major voice over talent and what it costs to get them on the project. A video game, with moderately known voice actors is not going to be that much.

The 500 million number borders on impossible.

No, I do not think so when you consider that they hired 800 voice actors from 4 countries.   

The most expensive ones would be the moderately well known voice actors, which would either mostly come from the US or the UK, and there are not many of them in SW:TOR. Employing over 800 voice actors would include voice jobs for random NPC/ambiance rabble. The pay for each one of those is laughably small, you're trying to make it sound like they paid top dollar for hundreds of high profile voice over talent when they didn't. Had they done that, it still wouldn't exceed 100-150 million for voice overs alone and that number is still really reaching.

A voice over job in most countries outside of the U.S. and the UK is significantly cheaper.

Well guess what, unless you have a number that is solid...I'll say the game cost near 500 mil because that is what some others have speculated...even if it didn't and cost more like 250 mil...that would still explain why the stocks are tanking.    I didn't just pull that number out of thin air.  I am just going by what some poeple are speculating.

500 mil isn't too far from truth, if you take investment costs into consideration.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

The cost of voice acting is nowhere NEAR that expensive, for any voice over project. I know this from personal experience when a voice over film project can cost anywhere from 14 million to a very unusual high of 100 million (very, very, very rare) and that includes major voice over talent and what it costs to get them on the project. A video game, with moderately known voice actors is not going to be that much.

The 500 million number borders on impossible.

No, I do not think so when you consider that they hired 800 voice actors from 4 countries.   

The most expensive ones would be the moderately well known voice actors, which would either mostly come from the US or the UK, and there are not many of them in SW:TOR. Employing over 800 voice actors would include voice jobs for random NPC/ambiance rabble. The pay for each one of those is laughably small, you're trying to make it sound like they paid top dollar for hundreds of high profile voice over talent when they didn't. Had they done that, it still wouldn't exceed 100-150 million for voice overs alone and that number is still really reaching.

A voice over job in most countries outside of the U.S. and the UK is significantly cheaper.

Well guess what, unless you have a number that is solid...I'll say the game cost near 500 mil because that is what some others have speculated...even if it didn't and cost more like 250 mil...that would still explain why the stocks are tanking.    I didn't just pull that number out of thin air.  I am just going by what some poeple are speculating.

I'll play your game and say that TOR cost $1 to make.  I have no proof other than what random dudes on the internets have told me but I'll make the claim nonetheless.

Good lord.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Lmao this game doesn't come close to scratching 500mil. I wouldn't place it above 100mil, voice acting and all. I thought this debate was laid to rest when EALouse turned out to be a total a**hat.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Pelaaja

500 mil isn't too far from truth, if you take investment costs into consideration.

Don't think so, unless you think that BW hasn't made any games (which already isn't true) or never will make any future games other than TOR, and TOR is the sole game that should recover the investment costs for the purchase of BW.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

EA's stocks are bad because the company is incredibly mismanaged. All they do is buy up small companies, force some new product out of those companies that fails, then dissolve the company...Oh..and remake shit like Madden over and over again benefiting from one of the biggest illegal monopolies no one seems to care about.

Where'd you even come up with the 500 mil figure though ? Never heard that..anywhere, or even anything remotely close to that. The highest I ever heard was 150 mil, with most people figuring the cost was around 50-100.

SWTOR has already made profit for EA just on box sales (if we assume figures are around 100 mil) anyway, let alone the recurring subs, the 3 month subs, and the 6 month subs people have paid for.

I remember hearing something like 1.3 million boxes were sold..lets just average it to 60 bucks a box (I say 60 bucks a box, ignoring CE because not all of that 60 bucks is profit.) Thats 78 mil right there, without a single sub. Assume 500,000 members pay *1 month* sub..thats another 7.5 mil. (Keep in mind, all of this is straight out of my ass, none of these numbers are "real" its to prove a point that the cost of the game could very easily have been covered even before release, or shortly there-after.)

Edit : Also..looking at the very low-end numbers that people are pulling out of their booty about SWTOR sub numbers (300k). 300k subs over 6 months = 27 mil. 

Just another random, unfounded figure to point out how pretending SWTOR was some major cataclysmic failure for EA is silly. Even if they at worst broke even, it wouldn't be putting a dent in any earnings report. 

What you could say, is that the market perceiving the game as a failure might have a negative affect on EA in the future. But that's not quantifiable.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

that might explain why EA's stocks are taking a nose dive.    They still haven't recovered the initial investment of making the game and this is hurting their stocks.   They have to pay licensing fees to both Lucas Arts and Simutronics, which I am sure is a huge chunk of change.   Anyway, if it is true that SWTOR cost near 500 million to make...that might explain why EA's stocks are still nose diving.

EA stocks  <<< clicky

As SWTOR subs go...so does EA's stocks it seems.   If you look at the 6 month cycle, you can see that the stocks peeked jsut before the release of the game.  Since then...it's been in a nose dive. 

This is no suprise, video game industry has always been like this. Just look at the trend since 2008 when a lot of thier stocks were doing well for a lot of companies.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I learned something in this thread: If you want to get rich, become a voice actor.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by evianwater

EA's stocks are bad because the company is incredibly mismanaged. All they do is buy up small companies, force some new product out of those companies that fails, then dissolve the company...Oh..and remake shit like Madden over and over again benefiting from one of the biggest illegal monopolies no one seems to care about.

Where'd you even come up with the 500 mil figure though ? Never heard that..anywhere, or even anything remotely close to that. The highest I ever heard was 150 mil, with most people figuring the cost was around 50-100.

SWTOR has already made profit for EA just on box sales (if we assume figures are around 100 mil) anyway, let alone the recurring subs, the 3 month subs, and the 6 month subs people have paid for.

I remember hearing something like 1.3 million boxes were sold..lets just average it to 60 bucks a box (I say 60 bucks a box, ignoring CE because not all of that 60 bucks is profit.) Thats 78 mil right there, without a single sub. Assume 500,000 members pay *1 month* sub..thats another 7.5 mil. (Keep in mind, all of this is straight out of my ass, none of these numbers are "real" its to prove a point that the cost of the game could very easily have been covered even before release, or shortly there-after.)

Even as a BW fan, I seriously doubt they made their money back on box sales alone. I would think they got anywhere from 30 bucks to 40 bucks on avg for each box sold. This takes into account direct sales, and the number of CEs sold. At 40 bucks on avg, that would be around 100M.

I reckon the cost to be 150 to 200M range, and if the game hasnt payed back costs, it should be pretty close with sub money added in.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I can't believe they still feature your blog on the site. Your a troll with a troll blog. You make random assertions, spread rumours and hate on pretty much every game in sight.

Do you even like any mmo's?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Oh, just because you never heard of it...that means it was not speculated.   I have one word.  "Google".

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by smh_alot

Don't think so, unless you think that BW hasn't made any games (which already isn't true) or never will make any future games other than TOR, and TOR is the sole game that should recover the investment costs for the purchase of BW.

That's exactly what I wanted to point out. You can't just say a number and say that is the cost of making TOR. And one thing there's to add is the loaned money on top of the investors.

Anyway, seems like this game is another franchising that has failed. I don't take it too heavy, because I've played Ocean-made franchising-games enough to understand what the idea behind them is.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by smh_alot

That's exactly what I wanted to point out. You can't just say a number and say that is the cost of making TOR. And one thing there's to add is the loaned money on top of the investors.

Anyway, seems like this game is another franchising that has failed. I don't take it too heavy, because I've played Ocean-made franchising-games enough to understand what the idea behind them is.

Does it really matter?  I think at this point we're really just arguing how deep the crater is going to be.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Oh, just because you never heard of it...that means it was not speculated.   I have one word.  "Google".

He can google all day, the only ones talking 500M was with the cost of BW added in.

Or folks wanting to make drama queen posts....but you know how that goes around here. I know you would never do something like that on purpose Taela.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

It also doesn't make it true. I can google apocalypse and have a bunch of random people spout that the world will end this year.

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41

that might explain why EA's stocks are taking a nose dive.    They still haven't recovered the initial investment of making the game and this is hurting their stocks.   They have to pay licensing fees to both Lucas Arts and Simutronics, which I am sure is a huge chunk of change.   Anyway, if it is true that SWTOR cost near 500 million to make...that might explain why EA's stocks are still nose diving.

EA stocks  <<< clicky

As SWTOR subs go...so does EA's stocks it seems.   If you look at the 6 month cycle, you can see that the stocks peeked jsut before the release of the game.  Since then...it's been in a nose dive. 

All over the internet you see a figure around 200 million. Here is a link to an article talking about it. I could post more but they are pretty much the same.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republics-budget-ballooned-to-nearly-200-million/

Also the cost of one game does not cause the stock of a large company like EA to tank. There are other factors that prevent investors from buying stock or selling off what they own.

Originally posted by Atlan99

It also doesn't make it true. I can google apocalypse and have a bunch of random people spout that the world will end this year.

She probably has you ignored. You are not worthy, she probably evens hates the people she likes.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Moaky07

He can google all day, the only ones talking 500M was with the cost of BW added in.

Or folks wanting to make drama queen posts....but you know how that goes around here. I know you would never do something like that on purpose Taela.

I created a thread, I took a number that was in an article...there were lots of numbers tossed around about how much this game cost to make.  I think the 500 mill is closer than many people may believe, when you take into cosideration all that went into making this game...I do not believe this game cost less than 250 mil.   I think it cost somewhere between 300 and 500 mil.    That is my opinion.    I am speculating this because EA's stocks have literally tanked since the release of this game.   Even though EA has games like BF3, DA, and many others that are quite successful...their stocks are still tanking.   Only one thing can be the cause of that.  EA  gambled on SWOTR being a major success and it isn't paying off.   They are losing their shirts on it.   That is why their stocks are tanking.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Man you guys just keep making this stuff up as you go along don't you?

I took what was said by others in articles and said, "If it is true..."   I didn't say - "it was true"...I said "if".   If it is true, that might explain why EA's stocks are tanking.

Please don't act as if you don't have posts after your original where you try to justify that crazy number (where you tried to add up the budget numbers in your head).

The gamme didn't cost anywhere near that and most likely costs around the same amount that other big budget mmo's cost the only people I've heard spitting out those stupidly high numbers are either strange financial sites that I wouldn't even put in my browser for fear of catching something or the infamous ea louse who by his own account had ulterior motives for spewing the trash he put out.

I think you are just trying too hard to especially when you take the highest amout possible for your post just to paint this game in the most negative light you can find.

If you are playing the game do yourself a favor unsub it is obviously not for you and if you aren't even subbing why bother posting about it?!?!?

Or..you could post your source when making a claim like that to start a post ? Burden of proof is on you, you made the claim.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

According to several impartial bloggers/sites, the game cost 1.7 billion dollars to make

and only sold 12 copies.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

EA's stocks are bad because the company is incredibly mismanaged. All they do is buy up small companies, force some new product out of those companies that fails, then dissolve the company...Oh..and remake shit like Madden over and over again benefiting from one of the biggest illegal monopolies no one seems to care about.     Where'd you even come up with the 500 mil figure though ? Never heard that..anywhere, or even anything remotely close to that. The highest I ever heard was 150 mil, with most people figuring the cost was around 50-100.   SWTOR has already made profit for EA just on box sales (if we assume figures are around 100 mil) anyway, let alone the recurring subs, the 3 month subs, and the 6 month subs people have paid for.   I remember hearing something like 1.3 million boxes were sold..lets just average it to 60 bucks a box (I say 60 bucks a box, ignoring CE because not all of that 60 bucks is profit.) Thats 78 mil right there, without a single sub. Assume 500,000 members pay *1 month* sub..thats another 7.5 mil. (Keep in mind, all of this is straight out of my ass, none of these numbers are "real" its to prove a point that the cost of the game could very easily have been covered even before release, or shortly there-after.)

I created a thread, I took a number that was in an article...there were lots of numbers tossed around about how much this game cost to make.  I think the 500 mill is closer than many people may believe, when you take into cosideration all that went into making this game...I do not believe this game cost less than 250 mil.   I think it cost somewhere between 300 and 500 mil.    That is my opinion.    I am speculating this because EA's stocks have literally tanked since the release of this game.   Even though EA has games like BF3, DA, and many others that are quite successful...their stocks are still tanking.   Only one thing can be the cause of that.  EA  gambled on SWOTR being a major success and it isn't paying off.   They are losing their shirts on it.   That is why their stocks are tanking.

I learned years ago not to own video game company stock as more than a day trade. It will never make you money. Even activision stock lost most of its value after buying blizzard a few weeks after the pop.

As for the cost of TOR, it wasn't 500 million. It was north of 100 but way under 500.

Their stocks have been on a decline long before SWTOR! Since the end of 2008.

How do you even speculate that there's only "one reason" why EA's stocks would fall ?

There's so many damn variables..and EA is a *huge* company. Hell even their last Madden performed poorly, and their NBA games. 

It could also be related to a market that sees video games as a luxury, and under current economic pressure there's less spending on luxury items. Why would you invest in a company that sells luxury right now ?

It just sounds like you're trying to stir up trouble for the sake of it...

Their stocks have been on a decline long before SWTOR! Since the end of 2008.

^ This!

2008, when luxuries became a risky investment. 

This discussion has been closed.