Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar want to do anything but WOW

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/wildstar-aims-to-be-anything-but-wow/

(Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney ) was asked what sets this MMO apart from the pack.

Gaffney had a laundry list in reply, saying that the largely ex-Blizzard team's motto is, "We just crunched for six years, we want to do anything but WoW."

Layered content is a big buzz-phrase for WildStar, and Gaffney attempted to provide an example of the game's flexibility. "You're on a mission to kill alien jungle cats. You see one that's irradiated and start scanning it. Or it's too tough, so you scare some prey away from you into the cats, and they start attacking the prey, and then you jump in when everyone is weakened. They're tough, so you see a huntress and drag them to her to get her cheering on for rep -- you see a second huntress and now you're bouncing between them for double rep rewards."

Uhhhhhhh, from the game bringing back the WOW 40 man raids, nearly identical graphics, same quest icons for quest givers, etc etc etc, I'm thinking that must be an April Fool's statement.  Sure they have a good bit of new stuff that looks fun, but making comments like that is just stupid on the developers part.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'm sure this game will have some interesting gimmicks, but I just can't get past the art style of the game.  I had the same issue with GW2 while it was in beta, but I understand the graphics got better since then.  The gameplay didn't really intrigue me in that either though.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

40 man raids, NPC standing around with quest icons over their heads, kill x and collect y quests, art style and graphics which could easily confuse people into thinking they are watching WOW videos. 

I am sure they are trying to make anything but WOW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/wildstar-aims-to-be-anything-but-wow/

(Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney ) was asked what sets this MMO apart from the pack.

Gaffney had a laundry list in reply, saying that the largely ex-Blizzard team's motto is, "We just crunched for six years, we want to do anything but WoW."

Layered content is a big buzz-phrase for WildStar, and Gaffney attempted to provide an example of the game's flexibility. "You're on a mission to kill alien jungle cats. You see one that's irradiated and start scanning it. Or it's too tough, so you scare some prey away from you into the cats, and they start attacking the prey, and then you jump in when everyone is weakened. They're tough, so you see a huntress and drag them to her to get her cheering on for rep -- you see a second huntress and now you're bouncing between them for double rep rewards."

Except that all the content / design releases to date have indicated that it is pretty much WoW 2.0.

Not saying that is a bad thing, there is certainly a market for it with WoW getting long in the tooth, but this is just PR spin.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40

As for me, the WoW look is a great thing. Why? Simple because I've enjoyed WoW for a very long time. Yes I went like downward spiral since TBC but seriously, a game that tries to emulate the things that made early WoW great with their own additions (paths, housing, restructure raid content weekly) is what makes this game so interesting. 

The only question that I ask myself: Those that complain that game ''looks'' and ''feel'' like WoW. Did you play WoW? Have you enjoyed it? If not, why not just move on to a sandbox MMO or something and leave those that actually think that this game is good news.

I still have great hopes for this game. It's WoW without being WoW.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I like cartoon graphics, partly because it reminds me that this is fantasy.  It is also timeless art.

I have plenty of realism n the real world... Rive me graphics like wild star and wow, please.  Excited by the developed and deepened mechanics that they are working on.

i hope that it is b2p like gw2.

Originally posted by Waldoe
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

look how that quote turned out.

- game almost identical to WoW visually

- battleground structure the same

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

- pvp arena setup the same

oh but we added housing totally not WoW!

-The art style is similar, but the amount of detail in characters and environments is far superior to WoW.

-Since when does WoW give me the ability to build a fortress (warplot) and PvP against other groups/guilds?

-My Warplot can also spawn raid bosses I have beat in the past on my enemies. Can WoW do that?

-Does the available raid content in WoW change every couple weeks so it does not get stale? I don't think so.

-Does WoW have different paths that you can go on based on the play style you like?

Really seems like a clone to me. People throw around the term WoW clone like it is their job. So funny. 

Sounds like you've convinced yourself it's nothing like wow!  Good job!

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by Waldoe
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

look how that quote turned out.

- game almost identical to WoW visually

- battleground structure the same

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

- pvp arena setup the same

oh but we added housing totally not WoW!

-The art style is similar, but the amount of detail in characters and environments is far superior to WoW.

-Since when does WoW give me the ability to build a fortress (warplot) and PvP against other groups/guilds?

-My Warplot can also spawn raid bosses I have beat in the past on my enemies. Can WoW do that?

-Does the available raid content in WoW change every couple weeks so it does not get stale? I don't think so.

-Does WoW have different paths that you can go on based on the play style you like?

Really seems like a clone to me. People throw around the term WoW clone like it is their job. So funny. 

Sounds like you've convinced yourself it's nothing like wow!  Good job!

indeed the whole term WoW clone would have no meaning if it wouldnt be a clone because they added afew features...even though I like the WoW 2.0 better, since WS imo looks like a greatly improved "WoW game"

do hope to get into "beta" when it is closed to be released though, am intrested in the game but have been afew turn offs - I for one though aint throwing a game out because of afew things aint perfect for me...am just scared I ll end up play this game with my 7 yo niece, since she have shown more intrest than my wife and friends ><

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I really dont understand the wow clone thing wow is a clone from eq . eq is a clone from uo its all the same thing kill this or craft that but who cares. its the way they make it a little differnt and this game looks kick arse cant wait til it comes out . i like that you can get higher lv from exploring or crafting and the houseing is sweet . will there be go kill 10 pigs and bring back the meat  of corse all games got that .
  • mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Yeah, they are really getting away from WoW with the LFD; 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 areans; battlegrounds, collection quests and cartoony graphics.

I am sure they will have some interesting stuff that is unique, but the spirit of this game certainly looks to be the same as WoW.

Originally posted by stromp45
    I really dont understand the wow clone thing wow is a clone from eq . eq is a clone from uo its all the same thing kill this or craft that but who cares. its the way they make it a little differnt and this game looks kick arse cant wait til it comes out . i like that you can get higher lv from exploring or crafting and the houseing is sweet . will there be go kill 10 pigs and bring back the meat  of corse all games got that .

Just like all women are just the same thing right?  Sure, try to convince some guys that the super model over there is just the same thing as that 300 pound whale over there (beause ultimately they are just the same anyway right?  Women, 2 legs arms and eyes - they are all clones).

Clone label is deserved, especailly when it LOOKS just like what it is being referred to.  It doesn't look like eq - it looks like wow, argue the semantics of why it should be called a clone of any mmo as much as wow all you want, doesn't change mine or many other people's opinion.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

I remember many year ago, some of my friends told me to watch family guy, that show is hilarious. Still to this day I remember that...horror. I sat on my couch, turned on the tv and patiently waited for the show to begin. Then I saw it. The opening. I watched it all through and could barely hold it. The sight was sickening. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's what the world has come to? This is what they air these days? The entire show...was a copy of wow. They absolutely copied wow. Zero originality. The entire show looks like world of warcraft. That's simply ridiculous. Why do people even watch that shit? Instantaniously I just threw my television set out of the window and jumped out of my window.

Originally posted by Yaumul

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/231535.jpg

The screenshot looks like it could have been taken in the Barrens from WoW.

I know, my friend! Is that even legal? These guys should get sued for copying wauw! I also saw another game like that today. Look at this. These phonies, again, just a copy of barrens. That is ridiculous. They even took the same mobs like in barrens! There are hounds exactly like that at the back of the barrens too, near exactly the same bushes! And look its the everyday barrens alliance ganker too! I hate thse phonies. I HATE THEM. Can't at least one game out there have original ideas that they just didn't copy off WoW???

No it doesn't stop here, look at this. Look, what does this next picture remind you. Exactly! It's Stormwind!! Can you believe it? Stormwind, in that game, that's ridiculous. Thieves I tell you, can you guess what that castle is surrounded with? A forest. I know, I was amazed too. Complete copy of elwynn forest. There are even same kind of buildings and npcs there. I can't believe that these people are getting paid to do this. Con artists!

Swamp of sorrows! Copy paste!

They even copied the cataclysm underwater area! Those...those....trolls!

can u believe this???? what does this look like to u?

I am done with these games, I will go buy a lifetime world of warcraft subscription. I am done with all these cloning unoriginal stealing thief scum thug phonies.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

enhanced wow in space,people will love it and theres nothing wrong with that except they must do that enhanced part first.

checking my mirrorball ,there will be housing in WoW soon™

Let's internet

• GrohmmGrohmm Member Posts: 7

Posted by Vembumees on 4/05/13 at 11:28:52 PM

Best. Post. Ever!!

And in order to answer to blind people who couldn't recognise a Dali with a Van Gogh..

Of course WS has Cartoony look... But all the core design is original, it's not realistic bodies (look to the humans chests) like WoW.

So yeah, it "looks like WoW", so it looks like jak and daxter, ratchet and clank and omg WS has double jump just like Crash Bandicoot which is also cartoony... omFg !! Clone!

Seriously, forge your own opinion instead of being a sheep and quote the close-minded.

P.S : English's not my native language btw so I apologise for the semantics mistakes!

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

Of course its going to look like WoW.  It is being created by the same artists and developers that created WoW and left Blizzard in 2005 o form Carbine and make a game for hardcore raiders rather than the casuals that WoW is only made for since they changed direction to let everyone win.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Grohmm

Posted by Vembumees on 4/05/13 at 11:28:52 PM

Best. Post. Ever!!

And in order to answer to blind people who couldn't recognise a Dali with a Van Gogh..

Of course WS has Cartoony look... But all the core design is original, it's not realistic bodies (look to the humans chests) like WoW.

So yeah, it "looks like WoW", so it looks like jak and daxter, ratchet and clank and omg WS has double jump just like Crash Bandicoot which is also cartoony... omFg !! Clone!

Seriously, forge your own opinion instead of being a sheep and quote the close-minded.

P.S : English's not my native language btw so I apologise for the semantics mistakes!

sorry but there is a diffrence between looking like WoW and looking cartony none of those games look like WoW, where as everything i have sen of this game screams WoW at me, which nessasary a bad thing i enjoy WoW (just hate battlenet) but to be honest im tired of that art style in general.

why do people keep saying anything cartoony is WoWish its just not the case, WoW has a distinct art style, and trying to defend wildstar by saying lots of games look cartoony just makes no sence. might as well defend wildstar by compareing it to RoboTech (note if you do i will . . . .well i wont do anything but ill rage at my screen for a few mins followed by headdesking )

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    ok so why did people start to call it wow clone? because quest givers have ! above their head? let me ask you, when you look at the emergency evacuation door and it's ! sign do you think "wow clone"? when you see the fire alarm and ! on it do you think "wow clone"? it is simple common sense, ! sign attaracts people, it makes us think something is strange here or  it is trying to tell us something, this is how human brain works. how many games before wow used ! to show POI or to show quest givers? too many, why? it is common sense. when i come to mmo community and find people calling everything wow clone because somewhere there is !, i think  : "mmo world is filled with morons". no wonder mmo these days are only going downhill.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    ok so why did people start to call it wow clone? because quest givers have ! above their head? let me ask you, when you look at the emergency evacuation door and it's ! sign do you think "wow clone"? when you see the fire alarm and ! on it do you think "wow clone"? it is simple common sense, ! sign attaracts people, it makes us think something is strange here or  it is trying to tell us something, this is how human brain works. how many games before wow used ! to show POI or to show quest givers? too many, why? it is common sense. when i come to mmo community and find people calling everything wow clone because somewhere there is !, i think  : "mmo world is filled with morons". no wonder mmo these days are only going downhill.

because the color palette and art style are identical to WoW, every video pituce adn anything i see of that games look exactly like WoW to include the char and building skeltons.

serosly lok at the two game side by side (not useing MoP but the orriginal WoW stuff) i dont know how anyone can NOT think its a WoW clone.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Squeak69

because the color palette and art style are identical to WoW, every video pituce adn anything i see of that games look exactly like WoW to include the char and building skeltons.

serosly lok at the two game side by side (not useing MoP but the orriginal WoW stuff) i dont know how anyone can NOT think its a WoW clone.

now you are going to say cartoon animation is also wow clone. ok good, have fun.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
     how many games before wow used ! to show POI or to show quest givers? .

Basically none.  AC2 used some quest markers and had some quest directed gameplay but nowhere near to the extent of WoW.  Not to mention no one played AC2.  WoW was the first quest directed MMO and its design has been copied by others.  Ac2 to a degree but not like WoW.  WoW started the movement to ! marks and quest directed gameplay and it was because of WoW's design that everyone else copied that part of their design and every MMO now has exclamation points.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Vembumees

I remember many year ago, some of my friends told me to watch family guy, that show is hilarious. Still to this day I remember that...horror. I sat on my couch, turned on the tv and patiently waited for the show to begin. Then I saw it. The opening. I watched it all through and could barely hold it. The sight was sickening. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's what the world has come to? This is what they air these days? The entire show...was a copy of wow. They absolutely copied wow. Zero originality. The entire show looks like world of warcraft. That's simply ridiculous. Why do people even watch that shit? Instantaniously I just threw my television set out of the window and jumped out of my window.

I know, my friend! Is that even legal? These guys should get sued for copying wauw! I also saw another game like that today. Look at this. These phonies, again, just a copy of barrens. That is ridiculous. They even took the same mobs like in barrens! There are hounds exactly like that at the back of the barrens too, near exactly the same bushes! And look its the everyday barrens alliance ganker too! I hate thse phonies. I HATE THEM. Can't at least one game out there have original ideas that they just didn't copy off WoW???

No it doesn't stop here, look at this. Look, what does this next picture remind you. Exactly! It's Stormwind!! Can you believe it? Stormwind, in that game, that's ridiculous. Thieves I tell you, can you guess what that castle is surrounded with? A forest. I know, I was amazed too. Complete copy of elwynn forest. There are even same kind of buildings and npcs there. I can't believe that these people are getting paid to do this. Con artists!

Swamp of sorrows! Copy paste!

They even copied the cataclysm underwater area! Those...those....trolls!

can u believe this???? what does this look like to u?

I am done with these games, I will go buy a lifetime world of warcraft subscription. I am done with all these cloning unoriginal stealing thief scum thug phonies.

So dang funny!  Amazing post!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Zapzap
     how many games before wow used ! to show POI or to show quest givers? .

Basically none.  AC2 used some quest markers and had some quest directed gameplay but nowhere near to the extent of WoW.  Not to mention no one played AC2.  WoW was the first quest directed MMO ...

Diablo 2 (released in 2000) is offended.

As far as 'WoW' being the first 'quest directed' MMO - I have no idea where you got that from. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Zapp_BranniganZapp_Brannigan Member Posts: 2

Created an account for the sole purpose of pointing out that the entirety of this thread is based on a quote that has been taken out of context. Full quote:

___

"I basically agree.

Stuff we do differently that we can talk about/show today (most shown here: http://youtu.be/sO6UxiQShQk) :

• Combat much more active, more against lots of monsters than one-on-one

• More strategic solo combat as well as more tactical

• Paths: If you have a playstyle, we send more content your way for the kind of thing you like - Combat, Exploration, Building/Social, or Story/Collecting.

• Layered content: We layer a ton of content in an area that is much richer than other games - you get calls on your cell phone, random events happen, time challenges occur, public events happen, etc. Complex to explain but it feels good/quite fun already.

• We can change the terrain at runtime. New dungeons rumble out of the ground by finding discoveries, story elements can change the world/terrain either in a phase or in the persistent world.

And we will be talking about multiple unique features we haven't mentioned yet.

Carbine was formed by 20 or so of the seniors and leads of WoW after WoW launched. Their initial mantra was "we just crunched for 6 years, we want to do ANYTHING BUT WOW".

But at the end of the day we do what is fun, we're not trying to be different for differences' sake."

___

Note the bold. They're not saying 'we want to create a game that isn't like WoW in any way', they're stating, quite literally, that they want to make a game that isn't WoW. They'd spent 6 years working on one game and they were ready to move on to something else. That's all there is to it. Hell, the very next line he states "we're not tring to be different for differences' sake."

It annoys me how worked up people can get up over something that has been taken entirely out-of-context.

Edit: Further down in the Reddit thread, if anyone bothered to check source material:

___

"Honestly we're not competing with WoW. If someone loves a game you can't pry them out of it. We want people who once played WoW, we're not trying to pull people out of it.

Here's a numbers trick of the industry. Good games churn like 3-5% of their subs a month. They gain hopefully more than that a month.

Roll the numbers and you find out that every 20 or so months as many players have left the game as are still playing it.

It's like the human body - every one of your cells is theoretically replaced every 7 years, so you're literally not the same body you were.

Anyways those numbers ignore recapture, etc. but the short form is that if there are a few million players currently in WoW in the US (I dunno) then there are probably 10 million players who once played. That's why you see 1-2 million folks trying out many of the new games and I don't believe WoW's numbers dip, but I don't work there so I don't know.

If your game is fun, there's good variance, lots of folks' friends play, and you work like hell on the elder game and support, those players stay and your game grows. If not it falls off and dies."