Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They dont appear to be screwing around with wanting to fill servers up

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I would say they are dragging it out and there is no rhyme or reason to why they are doing  it this way.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Wow...now they finally do server mergers and people still bitch.

** Hops on Bandwagon **

"Bioware!!!! Poopy caca!!!"

**shakes fist**

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

How much fatter can the fat man get? It's already heavy to full at prime time and now more servers will be transfering characters to it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by erictlewis

I would say they are dragging it out and there is no rhyme or reason to why they are doing  it this way.

Of course you would say that. Would not expect anything less.

Originally posted by BarCrow

Wow...now they finally do server mergers and people still bitch.

** Hops on Bandwagon **

"Bioware!!!! Poopy caca!!!"

**shakes fist**

[mod edit]

OT: I can't wait to get on later and check out my new digs. Should be fun.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• DromedarrDromedarr Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by ktanner3

How much fatter can the fat man get? It's already heavy to full at prime time and now more servers will be transfering characters to it.

I don't think there's gonna be any difference. Those servers were dead. 100 people each.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I would say you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I would say you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.  

Considering as of this morning it was only 14 servers now its a ton, they finally got of their rear end.  So I would like to use one word but obvously what was happening this morning has been fixed.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Glad it happened 6 days before sub renewal as it finally made me realise it wasnt population or getting groups that I don;t like its the dull as **** game itself.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.

They are not finished, and there are 214 servers not 122.   Theres probably giong to be 14 servers when they are done according to scoprs predictions.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DannyGlover 122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.
    They are not finished, and there are 214 servers not 122.   Theres probably giong to be 14 servers when they are done according to scoprs predictions.

Wow thats a lot more than was in the link. Crazy how fast that game dropped off. I wonder where it will settle for the long term.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover 122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.

Wow thats a lot more than was in the link. Crazy how fast that game dropped off. I wonder where it will settle for the long term.

The did 14 yesterday 114 today, I am guessing tommorow they will finish up the last 100 or so servers left. Hopefully mine will be one of them, there were 8 folks on the entire server when i logged in earlier.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Looks like they are cutting down to 9 US servers.  Talk about consolidation, looking forward to my servers xfer timeframe to come by.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Took barely 5 minutes to transfer my four characters. Much quicker process than i thought it would be.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

BTW

Read today on forums to make sure to grab any email attachments before move. Emails are deleted.

I am hoping my 2 servers get merged into one. Would prefer to keep my higher lvls all on one server now that they allow you to send items between factions.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I played on two servers mainly.  Kinrath Spider for my PvP fix (was my first server).  Then later Keller Void (when I was just trying to get done the various class stories).  Both servers got flagged for transfer to two of the more popular servers.   Fatman for Kinrath, and Jedi Convenant for Keller.  Considering I had already rolled new characters on Jedi Convenant to make an all Chiss Legacy.  I was a bit happy about the choice.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

All games have a curve:   http://www.raphkoster.com/2007/06/15/how-open-big-virtual-worlds-grow/

I don't think the article is all that complex.  But part of what I did (pre-retirement) involved a lot of sales and prodcut modeling using exponential decay models. 

All games do this.   Every game has it's own unique curve.  You can reset parts of the underlying populaiton with expansions, updates, etc.   But populations have a curve and it's an complex curve made out of logrythmic growth and exponential decay because you two variables -- decreasing sales, decreasing interest in game and requires calculus to solve as a single line equation.   It can be done.   I have a range of numbers it could be, none of them are at or above the still bandied about "500K to be profitable" number.   

I don't share it anymore.   I get tired of being trolled.    You can look at the XFire charts.   http://i50.tinypic.com/esn3w8.png

Tera has sold 180K copies of its game.   It's player base from the million gamer population sample is almost half as large as SWTORs.   From there, you can draw your own conclusions to how many people play SWTOR at this point in time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44073/tera/

The only thing I see as positive, is that subs are always greater than players.   So the revenue will stream in somewhat longer than the population stays.

But as a viable game...   SWTOR is done.     It's lost over 80% of its playerbase.   It's sales are in the toilet.   It laid off the staff it said it was going to keep and has gone for the cheap-and-easy in developing crappy 'end-game' content instead of it's alleged strength -- stories.  

The end-game is pitiful and most MMOs do it better.   So when the Alt-aholics have done all the stories...    The game will be pretty much over.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

at least EA/BW have done something good for the players. 

im pretty sure this will not bring lot of people to SW (since this wasnt the mais reason why people start leave the game) but is always great to know that company listen to players.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by MosesZD

But as a viable game...   SWTOR is done.     It's lost over 80% of its playerbase.   It's sales are in the toilet.   It laid off the staff it said it was going to keep and has gone for the cheap-and-easy in developing crappy 'end-game' content instead of it's alleged strength -- stories.  

The end-game is pitiful and most MMOs do it better.   So when the Alt-aholics have done all the stories...    The game will be pretty much over.

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Why are they sending people to the largest servers?  I was on a server of the next tier down and it isn't receiving any players o sending them away.  Seems back asswards.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I was able to transfer all of my toons without resubbing, that is kinda cool and a surprise.

I might re-up when the update goes live to see the new planet now.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

All that's left is a full free to play transition and I'll try it :D

They sank so much money into development that I'm suprised they let this happen, any execs get the boot for this calamity yet?

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Merging population wont change much.  The mechanics is what lets the game down.  After playing on GW2 beta weekend, I was reminded why I left SWTOR.

In SWTOR it makes no difference to your game how many people there are.  Ok, PvP, some teaming up and some trade items but really 90% of the game people are all zooming by doing their own thing.

Other games like GW2, creates an environment where players need to work together a lot.  In one weekend I couldn't believe the amount of time I spent just helping and being helped by other players.  Better still it didn't require any standing around yelling for a healer or having to group.

Other games like EVE allow total solo play. However the game is developed to be a living breathing world.  You may not have that interaction but you know what people do can actually affect the game.

I really wanted SWTOR to work but it just feels like a watered down single player game with lots of other gamers running around.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Atlan99

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

No, it's EA's logic. They said it themselves, SWTOR needs 500k active subscribers to remain a worthwhile investment.

Sugar coat it however you want to, the fact remains that a $150-200 million MMO with a whooping 4 PvE servers and 2 PvP servers in North America less than 6 months after release is a complete and utter failure.

On the bright side, at least now that they offer transfers the game can actually be called an MMO. Hopefully it lasts this time around.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Tera has sold 180K copies of its game.   It's player base from the million gamer population sample is almost half as large as SWTORs.   From there, you can draw your own conclusions to how many people play SWTOR at this point in time.

The only thing you can ever tell with xfire is trends.  Its absolutely useless to compare game populations.  For example, the average SWTOR player is most likely older than the average MMORPG gamer and the average TERA player is a good 8-10 years younger (there was a massive poll done that had the average age of a TERA gamer around 24 years old).  People in their late teens/early 20s are significantly more likely to use xfire than someone over 30, so TERA is going to have an enormously greater ratio of its players using xfire.

Also, not sure if  Koreans have access to Xfire, but pretty sure Korean population is around 500k