Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointing Main Story

2»

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Double edit:  Oh, and it's because story isn't class based, it's race based.  It's not 'this is the story of a necromancer', it's 'this is the story of a human'.  Also, the whole super stereotypical evil necromancer thing you both mentioned reminds me of the crappy shallow Bioware personalities that are so stereotypical, so I guess I could see how that works for you. :)  Seriously, being evil in a Bioware game is like being cartoon evil.  They just need a mustache to twirl and railroad tracks to tie a girl to. :)

Couldn't disagree more. When you went for the more unscrupulous choices in Mass Effect, never did I get the impression of a cartoon evil character or some stereotypical generic fantasy evil character at all. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous, but hey, whatever.

As for GW2 main stories, when I heard about the whole dragon shindig, I was disappointed, I thought that it was the most, utterly cliche theme for a main story and setting  that you can get: powerful dragons that terrorise and threaten a world that needs heroes to save it from them. Seriously, even WoW's CATA had the same theme and fantasy literature genre has been flooded with books with that exact theme.

The area stories in GW2 I thought are nicely done, the main story and character stories lag behind compared to LotrO books or SWTOR class stories, but from what I've seen they all lag behind in story compared to TSW's storylines (imo).

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Rohn

Some players point out that the characterization and storytelling in Guild Wars 2 is poor, as is the voice-acting.

The immediate reaction here: Obfuscate and bash Bioware?   image

Attempts at sleight of hand notwithstanding, Bioware has nothing to do with how limited, linear, and generally poorly done ANet's attempt at "personal story" is in GW2.  That's all on ANet.

The stories in GW2 are just as hackneyed, and just as derivative, as you'd find in the most mediocre pulp fantasy anywhere.  More importantly, it doesn't seem to add anything meaningful to the game.  Personal story was hyped quite a bit by ANet, but so far it appears to be a weak spot of the game.

Uh, no.

I've always expected I wouldn't be impressed by GW2's story, because I'm not impressed by Bioware's story, and like I said, they have the experience and budget to do such things better.

You're still thinking I'm using my disdain for Bioware as a defense for GW2.  It's like this....

Somebody says 'Man, McDonalds is really crappy hamburgers, not awesome like Burger King'.

Then I, the burger snob, go up, roll my eyes 'Yeah, uh... most burger places, including burger king, not exactly the most amazing burgers'.

There's no sleight of hand going on here.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Uh, no.

I've always expected I wouldn't be impressed by GW2's story, because I'm not impressed by Bioware's story, and like I said, they have the experience and budget to do such things better.

You're still thinking I'm using my disdain for Bioware as a defense for GW2.  It's like this....

Somebody says 'Man, McDonalds is really crappy hamburgers, not awesome like Burger King'.

Then I, the burger snob, go up, roll my eyes 'Yeah, uh... most burger places, including burger king, not exactly the most amazing burgers'.

It's more like comparing Fuddruckers to McDonald's.

GW2 story is McDonald's. 3 hour old meat microwaved. Yum Yum.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665
    You're confusing what I said.  You're thinking I said 'Oh, Bioware sucks because GW2 is superior', while all I said was a crotchety stick waving and a 'That isn't GOOD characterization, this isn't like proper literature!'.

I'm a snob.  We all have our standards.  Yours is set to Bioware level, and that's good for you. :)

Bioware simply can't represent me or the types of characters I like to play.  I find almost all the choices I'm given to be relatively cartoonish and simple.

Some players point out that the characterization and storytelling in Guild Wars 2 is poor, as is the voice-acting.

Attempts at sleight of hand notwithstanding, Bioware has nothing to do with how limited, linear, and generally poorly done ANet's attempt at "personal story" is in GW2.  That's all on ANet.

The stories in GW2 are just as hackneyed, and just as derivative, as you'd find in the most mediocre pulp fantasy anywhere.  More importantly, it doesn't seem to add anything meaningful to the game.  Personal story was hyped quite a bit by ANet, but so far it appears to be a weak spot of the game.

It has everything to do with it. Bioware sacraficed EVERYTHING in order to do personal story and even then it was mediocre at best(the sith inq was absolutely terrible). So if a company that dropped 100+ million just for story couldn't do it  well, why would Anet who is only putting a small portion of their budget into personal stories?

Oh and the personal stories in GW2 were never hyped as the next epic fantasy story of all time, at least I never got that impression. It was always something in addition to the open world dynamic events that gave you lore/story of what was happening that you might not get from dynamic events. Dynamic events were the focal point of all their hype. I think GW2's personal story is absolutely fine for what it is.

If you come to a MMO hoping for the next big fantasy story you're simply looking in the wrong place. It will never happen here because it takes far too much money to make a MMO to begin with and if you do devote that budget to the story the rest of the game suffers in a huge way, SWTOR for example.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Uh, no.

That analogy is pretty good and fits pretty well with how I view it. 

Besides all that, without many "personal story" or linear personalized quest path MMOs, there aren't really a whole lot of things to compare. It's like the whole planet has only Burger King and McDonalds to choose from. At least in GW2 you can eat a variety of different foods on the way up.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    The story isnt too bad, but it doesnt allow you to play your charcter with awicked twist

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Yes personal stories in MMOs are boring and bland. In a MMO each player should be making their own personal story but that requires depth in the game.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I could care less about the story, and more about the gameplay. The world does a great job of telling stories through events anyways. I find it hilarious that you compare the story to SWTOR and ME. Especially with how the last ME turned out and how bad SWTOR is. Sure, you can choose things that give you light/dark points or change the conversation, but the story really doesn't effect anything in the game at all.

In GW2, I already got a choice to either attack a fort, or ambush them to get a vehicle back that was stolen. That is more choice than I saw when boring myself to death in SWTOR. And again, the story means basically nothing to me when the gameplay is horrid. I have yet to play a Bioware game with gameplay that wasn't absolutely terrible. If i wanted to read a book, I would read a book, not play a video game.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Distaste

It has everything to do with it. Bioware sacraficed EVERYTHING in order to do personal story and even then it was mediocre at best(the sith inq was absolutely terrible). So if a company that dropped 100+ million just for story couldn't do it  well, why would Anet who is only putting a small portion of their budget into personal stories?

If you come to a MMO hoping for the next big fantasy story you're simply looking in the wrong place. It will never happen here because it takes far too much money to make a MMO to begin with and if you do devote that budget to the story the rest of the game suffers in a huge way, SWTOR for example.

Now, that's bullshit, of course good storytelling can be done in an MMO, only the limitations have to be kept in mind, but I've experienced enough intriguing or engaging storylines in MMO's I played. SWTOR's class stories were alright, better than storylines in most MMO's even among the best leveling experiences you can get, although the quality of the storylines could vary from one class to the next. And imo they weren't the best dev provided story I've experienced in an MMO, but still done pretty well, in presentation as well as story richness.

Originally posted by MattVid
    I have yet to play a Bioware game with gameplay that wasn't absolutely terrible.

I had a blast in ME and ME2, no problem at all with the gameplay in there. But hey, whatever, to each their own games.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Yes personal stories in MMOs are boring and bland. In a MMO each player should be making their own personal story but that requires depth in the game.

To me this is just excusing the mediocre story telling that we see in MMO land. There's no reason why this genre should be devoid of overarching narrative. Especially considering MMO's are about players creating characters aimed to intertwine with an existing world theme, the more fleshed out that background story is, the easier it becomes to associate a character to their world, it also creates the right keynote to use in an imaginative sense. Case in point: real roleplaying games.

The main problem with 90% of the stories we see in our MMO's is they're lacking mature themes that this demographic can relate to. MOst of the stories and characters are written like those you find in 80's Saturday morning cartoons. IE TOR= Gi-Joe GW2= He-man. ONe thing I have to hand to FC with TSW is they're at least focusing on more mature thought provoking themes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

First of all, Guild Wars 2 is rated Teen. Although I dislike the idea of a Teen rated game, because I prefer a medieval fantasy game to be more dark and brutal like Dragon Age, I can understand why they did it. That's why you can't play a wicked or moraly wrong character, players are supposed to be the big heroes of justice that help the community, even if the community itself had cast them away on the streets (the "street rat" background)

As a "Hero of Justice" story I found it to be quite good. There is some plot going on, and some quests, like the infiltration of the noble party, were well executed and provided a good "role playing" reason. Still, role playing with myself is a bit pointless but you "role play" alone when you play single player RPGs as well.

What I liked the most about the story is that player choices lead to different quest areas, unlike other games where you only get some extra dialogue. Bioware makes excellent RPGs with amazing story, that's a given for me, but most choices are for role playing reasons, no matter what you choose you will play the same mission/quest, only the final boss of the quest changes sometimes. But in GW2 I get choices of which mission to play. This gives more replayability. If the branching continues like this it might be an amazing story as well.

Also compared to Dragon Age or SWTOR for example we've seen a small part of the storyline and we are still playing as "Nobles" and "Commoners". I've yet to see a quest that is for "Humans" or even worse, for all players in the game. I could create 9 characters in the beta (3 races x 3 backgrounds) and experience a completely different story, while the class stories in TOR end way too soon (and the origins in DAO a joke).

GW2 offers more variety in what you can do, and this is the main plus of its story. Keep in mind it's an MMO. Mass Effect has tons of replayability so you can experience all the different dialogues but in GW2 you will play different areas, almost different games, altogether. That's the main difference for me. Also the "Circus" storyline was quite interesting and unique, I kinda liked it a lot, apart from the fact that a "noble" would miss the opportunity to work at a circus.....

Overall, the storyline of Guild Wars 2 is interesting and not as bad as people make it to be. Look at it as a "Hero of Justice" story, like a full Paragon in Mass Effect, and you won't find it lacking much. While there is limited choice in dialogue, there is more choice in content, which I prefer in an MMO.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by PiratePete

Those games also forced you to go a certain way for certain things. You couldn't punch out the king while he was escaping as you would get brutally murdered. You couldn't slay the dragon and call it a day when escaping in skyrim.  Your character was pushed along through a seemingly linear path that opened up from there. But it doesn't open up to the sense people like to claim either. You had two choices, Stormcloak or Empire or go straight story and slay the dragon.  The rest was all sidequest filler which all the dynamic events and exploring can be chalked to for GW2.

So even morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim are pretty linear story wise.

When you look at the story as a whole though it seems like a fairly decent story.

But why are we judging GW2 story before we can do the same?

Doesn't make sense.

Like a great journalist once said: "You don't need to eat the whole egg to know it is rotten" =)

While you are correct about the general gist of the main story in the Elder Scrolls games, you forgot that you have a lot more moral options and allegiances there. Thus, you could tailor a more diverse story in those games, simply because you have more tools at your disposal.

But, as I said, I do expect some changes and improvements in GW2's PSs. I simply don't think we'll have huge script changes. And I don't mind that at all. It is still a great game, and we all should be able to put up with a little silliness without having seizures.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I say it's pretty decent introduction to the story. We've experienced only very small percentage of the story. I believe someone said that majority of the story is after lv 80.

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

There's also the concept of factions in the story or at least from what I recall. Perhaps one of the factions is more on the unsavory side that will allow for the "get it done no matter what" type personalities out there that would be willing to torch a village to prevent a plague spreading or what have you.

There's still so much to the story we haven't even had the chance to experience. To write it off as poor with out actually experiencing it would be quite synonymous with judging a book by it's cover.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by PiratePete

There's also the concept of factions in the story or at least from what I recall. Perhaps one of the factions is more on the unsavory side that will allow for the "get it done no matter what" type personalities out there that would be willing to torch a village to prevent a plague spreading or what have you.

There's still so much to the story we haven't even had the chance to experience. To write it off as poor with out actually experiencing it would be quite synonymous with judging a book by it's cover.

Obviously, the main story has yet to be seen, but the direction it has taken already has ruined it for me. The most important part of a story is the beginning, it should draw you in and get your attention.  The reason I brought Bioware was to provide an example of what I wanted.

Back to the story, you're telling me my character starts off as a goody two-shoes saving his townfolk and friend, and all of a sudden half way along the story he turns into an evil maniac in order to destory Dragons. Is that suppose to amuse me? The 'get it done no matter what' type of faction contradicts the whole storyline itself. Why is somebody whos willing to sacrifice himself to save others suddenly undergoing a personality change? Even the 'ferocity' choices directly contradict the personality this game portrays for my character.

Someone recommended Charr for me, and I have to say the storyline is ALOT better but suffers from the same problems. I hope for my sake the story does get better but one thing is for sure, I won't be playing the Human race.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm not a huge fan of the main stories that I have seen. I felt like there was no reason for them. Story was the main component of GW1's PvE game but GW2 is more about exploration and just doing what you wanted. I do like the fact that it is optional though.

The charr Ash Legion story is much better than the others, in my opinion.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by colddog04

Uh, no.

That analogy is pretty good and fits pretty well with how I view it. 

Besides all that, without many "personal story" or linear personalized quest path MMOs, there aren't really a whole lot of things to compare. It's like the whole planet has only Burger King and McDonalds to choose from. At least in GW2 you can eat a variety of different foods on the way up.

don't forget Checkers....they are the awesome

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Having not played the game, I can't comment on how good the story is, but I can say that the way they present it is completely lame.  To not have it as part of the actual world is completely immersion-breaking.  

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The story made me feel like I was 5 years old again and my parents were pointing and showing me all the pretty pictures.  They could atleast made the stories more mature like instead of making it so childish but hey, this is what they want. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like story ONLY in that i know the WHY and the LORE of the game.I do not want to be led throguh a single player like storyline,i am playing a MMO i want the story to be based on the MMO world NOT just me,that is the point of a MMO is it not?

I a like a story to let me understand why i am killing certain creatures,why i am frolicking through the lands and what the over all goal is.Example EVERY Final Fantasy game is about the Crystals,they control the universe.There are powerful gods that are tied to the universe and summoners can control some of the gods.It is a battle of  the BEastmen horde  versus the player races and my GOAL is to gain favor amongst the nations so that i can take part in the story line as a SIDE quest,when i feel like.Then of course you have cinematics/cutscnes to portray that story.

That is all i want from my story ,this is why i play a game to enjoy the different stories/Lore and exploration they can all give me.I have played many single player RPG's even those your only real personal idea to the game is what class you want to play,but even FFV way back in the day over came that limitation by allowing sub classes.

Yes i do see the point of a personal story,but imo YOUR story shoudl be your adventures through the game as they will ALWAYS change from day to day,you don't need a linear quest line to achieve a TRUE story.

Example i bet you ask any MMO player and they have plenty of personal stories to tell you of their adventures in MMo gaming.Ask anyone and i bet they would never trade those true to life gaming stories for any games quest line.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.