Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Thats cool.  Is it F2P right now?  May just be the right fix I need until GW2 comes out.  My biggest gripe with the current state of Vanguard has been the low population.  This should fix that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

hmmm, seems a bit more glowy than I remember.

If someone were to say ti was a traielr for EQ2 I would have been hard pressed to disagree. Still, a great thing for Vanguard and I'm a bit excited.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Is it F2P right now?

its going f2p this summer -- no dates have been given yet

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

It's funny how the article and video act like this is a premiere debut of a new awesome F2P MMO despite the fact that Vanguard has been around years. There is one point where they say "at last" it will be F2P but that's the only clue for the uninitiated. I haven't decided whether this approach is brilliant or deceptive.

Great game none-the-less.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

"Be part of an interactive and thriving community."  

I'm assuming that SOE is projecting into the future regarding the community.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

"Be part of an interactive and thriving community."  

I'm assuming that SOE is projecting into the future regarding the community.

I think that this thread is a good thermometer on gauging the communities interest in Vanguard...

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Yea just saw the trailer today. Looks great! I'm paitently waiting for it to go FTP. Lets go already, SONY!!!!

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I enjoyed Vanguard at launch despite the bugs.  With a large population the game would be a lot of fun IF they bring back the FFA PVP server.  PVE only games are a complete and utter waste of time.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Is it just me?  I like Vangaurd and think that trailer looks terrible.  The game seemed to look better to me when I played it.  Maybe it as just the immersion factor?  That looked pretty uninsipring to me.  I will be playing for sure though. . I love the game.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Well well after leaveing Vanguard and it's loyal band of followers in the desert for over a year SOE are going to finally cash up sad thing is that trailer shows nothing of the real heart of Vanguard, and where is the crafting still up there with the best like old SWG,will be interesting to see what my guild thinks but this seems to be a play for the WOW crowd but sadly F2P is the only way to save the game it seems.

p>
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by darker70

Well well after leaveing Vanguard and it's loyal band of followers in the desert for over a year SOE are going to finally cash up sad thing is that trailer shows nothing of the real heart of Vanguard, and where is the crafting still up there with the best like old SWG,will be interesting to see what my guild thinks but this seems to be a play for the WOW crowd but sadly F2P is the only way to save the game it seems.

The Vanguard players are the ones that left SoE in the dust first.  Its amazing how people love to twist things around.  SoE spent almost two years bug fixing and developing content for VG, taking a loss because people made them believe that they would come back.  They never did so SoE decided to stop losing money.

And the crafting was nowhere near as great as SWG.  its a step above EQ2 but a long leap down from SWG.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by teakbois

The Vanguard players are the ones that left SoE in the dust first.  Its amazing how people love to twist things around.  SoE spent almost two years bug fixing and developing content for VG, taking a loss because people made them believe that they would come back.  They never did so SoE decided to stop losing money.

And the crafting was nowhere near as great as SWG.  its a step above EQ2 but a long leap down from SWG.

Umm no it wasn't. I was one of those players who kept my account open for over a year after SOE basically said "We're not fixing your pvp bugs and will only touch pvp after pve is fixed". As everyone knows pve is never fully fixed so SOE basically killed the Sartok server overnight. I kept my account active even when 30 people total on the server at a time was the norm.

I'm sorry we did not abandon Vanguard. SOE did.  That and they were VERY slow to fix gamebreaking bugs even when reported countless times over months.. SOE said when DCOU was released that they will update the content as thats what the players are paying for, the cynic in me just couldn't help to laugh at the doubletalk.

Its nice they are finally touching it, they have done some but have yet to prove themselves but enough to keep me playing in the meantime (sad they ruined pvp though)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BarCrow

It's funny how the article and video act like this is a premiere debut of a new awesome F2P MMO despite the fact that Vanguard has been around years. There is one point where they say "at last" it will be F2P but that's the only clue for the uninitiated. I haven't decided whether this approach is brilliant or deceptive.

Great game none-the-less.

It's brilliant and a great deal. I mean, it's like a dream come true. An MMO with quality graphics, developed originally as a triple-A title and then then updated/patched with years of fixes and content. All that now... FREE to play.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Is it just me?  I like Vangaurd and think that trailer looks terrible.  The game seemed to look better to me when I played it.  Maybe it as just the immersion factor?  That looked pretty uninsipring to me.  I will be playing for sure though. . I love the game.

Trailer looked pretty bad, I'll admit.  Graphics looked dated as well, even though the world is still impressive-looking from my experience.  Also, if SOE is trying to sell people on the idea of playing Vanguard, it might be a smart move to NOT put in any examples of combat animation.  Combat in Vanguard is pretty awful visually.  

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by OberanMiM
    Originally posted by teakbois

Umm no it wasn't. I was one of those players who kept my account open for over a year after SOE basically said "We're not fixing your pvp bugs and will only touch pvp after pve is fixed". As everyone knows pve is never fully fixed so SOE basically killed the Sartok server overnight. I kept my account active even when 30 people total on the server at a time was the norm.

So you are basing this off PvP, which was rightfully the absolute last thing to bother with?  Were they super fast?  No.  Did they not make huge strides?  Absolutely.  If they didnt, people wouldnt talk about VG as a great game the way they do.

But you expected them to work on PvP in an overwhelmingly predominant PvE environment.  So yes, maybe the 10% of the population that played on the PvP servers can say they were abondoned.  But PvP was always an afterthought in this game.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Hopefully they get some interest and take the game off life support and give it the attention it deserves. It's one of the only Themepark/Sandbox hybrids on the market, which imo is the direction MMO's should be heading in design wise. 

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

VG is a relic of a time past and i really don't think F2P will bring in a lot of players. It is just to late. A few years ago before GW2,Rift and TSW I think it would have had a pretty good chance with F2P. Now its just an old kind of dated looking game.

It really is to bad that SOE ignored this game for as long as they did and lets be honest if SWG was still around VG would still be ignored.  I always thought it was crazy the way that SOE has treated this game for the past few years.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by GreenHell

VG is a relic of a time past and i really don't think F2P will bring in a lot of players. It is just to late. A few years ago before GW2,Rift and TSW I think it would have had a pretty good chance with F2P. Now its just an old kind of dated looking game.

It really is to bad that SOE ignored this game for as long as they did and lets be honest if SWG was still around VG would still be ignored.  I always thought it was crazy the way that SOE has treated this game for the past few years.

I wouldnt call it a relic though, some of its systems are far more 'nextgen' than all of the upcomming mmo's systems. There has yet to be game that comes even remotley close to the awesome crafting system and none of the upcomming games have a non instanced seamless world or player housing.

Like everyone was saying years ago, it will take a heck of alot and a small miracle to turn VG around, but if SOE really wants to, its totally in the realm of being possible. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

The trailer was made like all of the other generic MMORPG trailers that are full of 2 second clips of combat. That is a really terrible way to generate interested in Vanguard. They should have highlight more on the huge open world, the large amount of unique races and classes, and diplomacy.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

The trailer was made like all of the other generic MMORPG trailers that are full of 2 second clips of combat. That is a really terrible way to generate interested in Vanguard. They should have highlight more on the huge open world, the large amount of unique races and classes, and diplomacy.

Amen.  Playing it now, it seems like a game that could have been among the best.  It is the best MMO world hands down and very few debate it.  It is also slightly crude and unresponsive in combat and the quest system is of a time long past.  Really if the population would pick up it would be a successful MMO's with some more refinement.

It's funny I still log into EQ and it seems more innovative, unique and in depth than anything else out there by a long shot.  And I'm sure many of the old school MMO's feel that way as gaming companies have "streamlined" things to the point of utter boredom.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by GreenHell VG is a relic of a time past and i really don't think F2P will bring in a lot of players. It is just to late. A few years ago before GW2,Rift and TSW I think it would have had a pretty good chance with F2P. Now its just an old kind of dated looking game.  It really is to bad that SOE ignored this game for as long as they did and lets be honest if SWG was still around VG would still be ignored.  I always thought it was crazy the way that SOE has treated this game for the past few years.
    I wouldnt call it a relic though, some of its systems are far more 'nextgen' than all of the upcomming mmo's systems. There has yet to be game that comes even remotley close to the awesome crafting system and none of the upcomming games have a non instanced seamless world or player housing.

Like everyone was saying years ago, it will take a heck of alot and a small miracle to turn VG around, but if SOE really wants to, its totally in the realm of being possible. 

I agree. I only recently played VG and while it took me awhile to learn and excel at crafting and diplomacy it really does feel like the true successor to EQ1- the only issues I had was with the size (not quality) of the community and that at my play times no one within my level range cared to group. An influx of players would definitely fix the first issue, have to wait and see regarding the second.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I'm really eager for the FTP launch of Vanguard. 

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

One needs to only surf the VG official forums to see just how long this debacle has rode the wave. V:SOH was a pipe dream and it still is. So much potential wasted and its way too late now...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

if this game is anything like eq2's F2P, then you wont have access to the good loot that drops.. and a few other key things like the broker system.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Legere

if this game is anything like eq2's F2P, then you wont have access to the good loot that drops.. and a few other key things like the broker system.

Yeah I'm worried it's going to be the same thing. The EQ2 F2P seems very limiting. Obviously they want people to spend money buy stuff but I think it's too restricted.