Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Beta Ruined Rift for Me

Comments

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i never play LOTRO since i try GW2 on BW1, in fact GW2 is the only game instaleed on my pc . this is know as "GW2 effect" xD

well GW2 and TSW since people are saying they change a lot of thing on TSW so i want give another try to the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It's been two days since the beta ended, I was playing WoW again pretty regularly (every day for a few hours at least).  Last night was the first time I logged in and I just idled for 15 minutes and logged out again. lol  Damn you, GW2.  This happened the last time there was a beta.  I'm keeping myself busy playing Saints Row the Third with a friend, but yeah, MMOs are not the same anymore.

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by TheTrueKing

I read this and shook my head yes in agreement.  This should be the Gamers Revolution motto for change!! lmao

It really does make you scratch your head and think - "Why hasn't anyone done this before now?"

I've thought of this too, but maybe it wasn't the right time.  See, companies saw the success of WoW and wanted desperately to duplicate that success so they made similar games, and the players had to be fed up with clones enough that a change would actually have an impact, so I think ANet is just in time to take advantage of a lot of bored, tired MMO'ers.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

The only difference for me was that I came to the same realization with both Rift and Tera awhile ago.  Its funny how eventually most of us come to the same place.  My back up is DCUO and I am getting to that same place as well.  Looking forward to both GW2 and TSW.  Just can't justify a sub and box cost for a game.  For me its not the quality of the game, its literally an ability to afford the total cost of a sub and box.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

I can't even fathom going back to a MMO with static mash rotation hotkey combat where you stand still and swap hit points.

I can't even fathom going back to grinding Kill 10 Rats quests at one hub only to move on to the next quest hub.

I can't even fathom going back to instanced PvP queues to buy new gear to do more instanced PvP queues with no tournaments or ladders/anything.

I can't even fathom going back to open world PvP without any meaning or sense of realm/server pride.

I REALLY can't even fathom going back to LFG queues and spamming chat for tanks/healers with mindless threat mechanics and whack-a-mole healing.

GW2 has ruined MMOs for me.

Only game I am even considering going back to to tide me over is EvE, but I know every time I go back to EvE (has been 2-3 times now) I have a great time for a month than get so bored and unsub again.

I read this and shook my head yes in agreement.  This should be the Gamers Revolution motto for change!! lmao

It really does make you scratch your head and think - "Why hasn't anyone done this before now?"

I guess that is the sign of truly good design - it seems so natural and so simple and so obvious, it makes you say "well duh why hasn't it always been this way??"

And the most amazing part?  All this with no monthly fee.  I don't think I can go back to paying monthly fees after realizing how a great quality MMO can be done without them.  Especially since most MMOs with fees aren't half as well done.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I can say, having played TERA, it ruined tab targeting for me. I haven't been able to enjoy anything tab target since then.. WoW, FFXIV, Rift Trial, DCUO...

So I get where you're coming from.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I have the same problem. I can't play an other MMO. I miss GW2. I miss the fun combat, weapon switching, no downtimes... I can't stand mana bars, potion spamming and having to rely on healers in other games. D:

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Bijou

I have the same problem. I can't play an other MMO. I miss GW2. I miss the fun combat, weapon switching, no downtimes... I can't stand mana bars, potion spamming and having to rely on healers in other games. D:

This made me laugh out loud.  Remember EverQuest?   Remember how you had to sit down for 5 minutes to heal - even had time to run make a sandwich and a drink, get back and eat half of it before I was healed.  hahah.  

Yes, I like GW2 healing and lack of significant downtime. Like it a lot.  

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by achesoma

I can't even fathom going back to a MMO with static mash rotation hotkey combat where you stand still and swap hit points.

I can't even fathom going back to grinding Kill 10 Rats quests at one hub only to move on to the next quest hub.

I can't even fathom going back to instanced PvP queues to buy new gear to do more instanced PvP queues with no tournaments or ladders/anything.

I can't even fathom going back to open world PvP without any meaning or sense of realm/server pride.

I REALLY can't even fathom going back to LFG queues and spamming chat for tanks/healers with mindless threat mechanics and whack-a-mole healing.

GW2 has ruined MMOs for me.

Only game I am even considering going back to to tide me over is EvE, but I know every time I go back to EvE (has been 2-3 times now) I have a great time for a month than get so bored and unsub again.

I guess that is the sign of truly good design - it seems so natural and so simple and so obvious, it makes you say "well duh why hasn't it always been this way??"

And the most amazing part?  All this with no monthly fee.  I don't think I can go back to paying monthly fees after realizing how a great quality MMO can be done without them.  Especially since most MMOs with fees aren't half as well done.

I know I am going to spend money on this game every month. Why?

Not to power game and get ahead or anything like that, but to support Arena.net

I figure, I'd be spending 15 a month on a game of this quality anyway, why not spend 10$ a month on diamonds and support Anet and still be a better deal than any sub game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I can say, having played TERA, it ruined tab targeting for me. I haven't been able to enjoy anything tab target since then.. WoW, FFXIV, Rift Trial, DCUO...

So I get where you're coming from.

Yea playing Tera and GW 2, I can't enjoy those you just listed either.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I just downloaded Tribes Ascend. It seems fun enough to hold me over until launch (I'm done with betas, will wait to play until it's for reals).

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by mCalvert

After playing GW2 all weekend, i resumed my backup plan, Rift. But there i was running the same zone event over and over standing in place, mashing 111 2 111 2 on a boss for 5 mins. Yawn. Then I logged out. Thanks Arenanet. :(

Meh, the day after the Beta Weekend we were working on Warboss Drak again and having a blast.  We'll see how things go, but GW2 did not take the Rift Raiding out of me.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by trahe

This made me laugh out loud.  Remember EverQuest?   Remember how you had to sit down for 5 minutes to heal - even had time to run make a sandwich and a drink, get back and eat half of it before I was healed.  hahah.  

Crikey that brings things back. One of the first things I learned in that game was to sit by the npc guards while afk healing.

Seems like so long ago. Everything took so long in those early MMO's. Felt like a week of running to get from one end of a zone to another and no fast travel till you'd reached what seemed like an impossibly high level...that's something I don't miss from the 'good old days'...

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by korat102
    Originally posted by trahe

Crikey that brings things back. One of the first things I learned in that game was to sit by the npc guards while afk healing.

Seems like so long ago. Everything took so long in those early MMO's. Felt like a week of running to get from one end of a zone to another and no fast travel till you'd reached what seemed like an impossibly high level...that's something I don't miss from the 'good old days'...

*like*

FFXI was like that about resting.. especially in ToAU.. I cam remember the grind party resting, and the healer would stand up, heal everyone a chunk and then sit again for his mp.

One thing I miss from XI is dangerous routes.. a fairly low level could get on boats but better stay below deck. Mid level players could venture above safely.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I've been playing D3 to tie me over until GW2.  I've lost all interest in D3 now.  Oh well, will be enjoying the summer and getting in some golf games.

wow.... same for me. 

i logged in today, 1st time after the last BWE. and after looking at the log in screen for 5 min. i colud not even pick a toon and play... i felt so bored already.

shame on you a.net for letting us taste this and knowing its still monthes away from us.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Opposite for me. GW2 actually made me resub to Rift.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

Agree GW2 killed Tera for me. Loved the combat, the dynamic quest the visuals, the atmosphere. Lions Arch is EPIC. Change Weapons for new skills is so win. There was an event in the swamp where at the end a huge shadow beast spawned was insane. I also like the fact you have to watch your self even on trash. The game is not faceroll easy mode.

• Same here.  Let my Rift sub lapse, no incentive to do the same instances and zone events over and over chasing the gear carrot.  Tried D3 but the combat is so stale.  Tried Lineage 2 (since it's free now) but can't stomach the click to move and grind.  Tera was just WoW with a crosshair and I lack the patience to deal with losing control of my character every time I attack.

So yeah right now I'm just watching movies and going through my console games trying to see if anything holds my interest, but so far no luck.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ya i just popped in to Rift on the free ride, and wow, what a difference.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I remember as recently as last December scrolling past any news story about GW2 as I wasn't remotely interested. I wasn't into GW1 and I had a lot of misconceptions about GW2. Now even the most negative and inflammatory posts remind me of how much I'm missing this game. I'm doing anything I can to keep my mind off of it, but I keep remembering all of these little things I meant to check out or finish before the weekend ended and it's driving me crazy. 

In hindsight the last game that ever really hooked me like this was EQ. Ever since WoW showed up I've pretty much been disappointed with most MMOs, had to make an effort to enjoy them, or liked them for their potential rather than what they were - this is the first one in over 10 years that flat out sucked me in and impressed me as is.

I'd forgotten how nice it is to actually be playing a game that I think is great rather than discussing why certain games aren't great or what games need to have to be great.

I just wish there was a GW2 tv series or cartoon I could watch to hold me over until the next event as playing games that aren't GW2 is clearly not working for me either.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This is known as the "GW2 Effect". It hits many of us and there probably should be a warning label! :)

After exploring the level 15-35 zones in BWE2, I now can't even play Skyrim, so my gaming options are dwindling while waiting for GW2 to release.

I ended up grabbing Saints Row the Third last week on sale and even though it's not the type of game I would normally play, it's different enough from GW2 and so outrageously over the top that I'm enjoying it. I guess that's a positive of the GW2 effect, it might force people to try other genres they don't normally play just to have game time with something not ruined by comparison to GW2. (Although, I still can't help but compare the relatively poor animations in SR3 to those in GW2, or lament the some what clunkier combat, but I'm still finding some fun).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I've been ruined since the first GW2 BWE.

GW2 is going to ruin the MMO industry and make a lot of games unplayable by a lot of people.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

my question would be why something earlier didn't ruin rift for you, if not the game itself.  i just couldn't swallow the playstyle anymore.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by fiontar

This is known as the "GW2 Effect". It hits many of us and there probably should be a warning label! :)

After exploring the level 15-35 zones in BWE2, I now can't even play Skyrim, so my gaming options are dwindling while waiting for GW2 to release.

I ended up grabbing Saints Row the Third last week on sale and even though it's not the type of game I would normally play, it's different enough from GW2 and so outrageously over the top that I'm enjoying it. I guess that's a positive of the GW2 effect, it might force people to try other genres they don't normally play just to have game time with something not ruined by comparison to GW2. (Although, I still can't help but compare the relatively poor animations in SR3 to those in GW2, or lament the some what clunkier combat, but I'm still finding some fun).

BF3 expansion pack for me.  i could play BF3 until my head hurt and my neck was sore.  which I'd say is pretty bad for me.  limitations...oh so hard!

Rift ruined Rift for me.  The game's not that good.