Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has Kickstarter stopped the Mmorpg's Stagnation ?

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I honestly think you people are too harsh, At least someone is trying to get mmo's out of its fast world of warcraft caused death spiral. Only mmorpg in recent years that actually looked decent to me has been phantasy star online 2, and thats because its not just a biliant world of warcraft clone with most of the game taken from it and reskinned like gw, tera. rift, swtor etc is. Also before you argue with me about Tera, take away tera's combat or when the combat gets old and all you have left is just another wow clone.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by rothbard

I fail to see why any of the haters GAF what some random person on the internet does with their own $10??

Then you fail to understand human nature. No one cares about your $10 but they get enjoyment out of showing what an idiot you are spending it on wishful thinking.

In fact, it will be MORE FUN if you spend $100 instead of $10 because they can make more fun out of people wasting $100 instead of $10.

OBVIOUSLY no one is changing anyone's mind on the internet. It is just a verbal jousting game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Loktofeit

A lot of these 'indie' MMO projects popping up on Kickstarter are going to be the cause of some serious changes in the site's policies or rules, simply because many of them combine two dangerous elements

Changes? Why would they do that? That is what Kickstarter is based on...

The more projects(regardless whether can be pulled off or not) and gullible people, the better - more money for Kickstarter.

I agree, however the more people get burnt by bad projects, the less likely they are to back the ones that aren't just a half-assed bag of empty promises. So that means less money for Kickstarter over time if they don't become more stringent on their policies.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by rothbard

I fail to see why any of the haters GAF what some random person on the internet does with their own $10??

I think they're just angry that the 10$ in question isn't going to Blizzard or EA

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I agree, however the more people get burnt by bad projects, the less likely they are to back the ones that aren't just a half-assed bag of empty promises. So that means less money for Kickstarter over time if they don't become more stringent on their policies.

People either learn or you put protective rules in place instead. The result is the same.

But somehow I doubt that people become responsible with their money...and Kickstarter would not be the first nor last one taking advantage of desipience in money spending...

No one is getting "burnt" by throwing away 20 USD. People throw away small amounts every day for lottery, donations, all sorts of trinkets, etc. and nothing seems to stop them from doing it again and again and Kickstarter will be no difference.

It is a clever and evil business the guys got there. Kudos.

People either learn or you put protective rules in place instead. The result is the same.

But somehow I doubt that people become responsible with their money...and Kickstarter would not be the first nor last one taking advantage of desipience in money spending...

No one is getting "burnt" by throwing away 20 USD. People throw away small amounts every day for lottery, donations, all sorts of trinkets, etc. and nothing seems to stop them from doing it again and again and Kickstarter will be no difference.

It is a clever and evil business the guys got there. Kudos.

The guy throwing away 20 or 30 dollars here and there isn't the concern. That's quarters in a fountain - they're more than likely doing it for the fun and the money is inconsequential. It's when the big spenders start to move away that it negatively affects the projects that could have otherwise benefitted from it. To use The Repop as an example, half the money pledged is by 10% of the backers. Maybe that 10% already knows which to fund and which are duds, so maybe it's not an issue. Who knows. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I have backed several projects on KS but not an MMO yet as I haven't found an MMO that I like.

Do people really 'care' about $25 for a KS project?

I spend more on food/coffee at work everyday.

It is interesting to see people put their money on what they want to see made though.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

The guy throwing away 20 or 30 dollars here and there isn't the concern. That's quarters in a fountain - they're more than likely doing it for the fun and the money is inconsequential. It's when the big spenders start to move away that it negatively affects the projects that could have otherwise benefitted from it. To use The Repop as an example, half the money pledged is by 10% of the backers. Maybe that 10% already knows which to fund and which are duds, so maybe it's not an issue. Who knows. 

The thing is, people spending larger amounts are unlikely to be so careless where they money go.

So you have the group that "never learns" and just spend disposable money, and then those who are "serious" about funding and those will be picky where they money go.

The thing is, people spending larger amounts are unlikely to be so careless where they money go.

So you have the group that "never learns" and just spend disposable money, and then those who are "serious" about funding and those will be picky where they money go.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the srious backers are already a lot more discerning about where their money goes, so the presence of Hope-and-Dream projects that fail wouldn't really affect them to begin with as they'd already be avoiding them?

Interesting.  That makes sense, actually. Thanks, Gd.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

My take is that like 99% of the games will be crap, and there's like a 1% chance some "gem" will come out of this.

I also totally agree with this post from Lokto:

A lot of these 'indie' MMO projects popping up on Kickstarter are going to be the cause of some serious changes in the site's policies or rules, simply because many of them combine two dangerous elements

• people who don't know what they are getting themselves into and thus do not realize they lack the skills/knowledge to accomplish their task
    • gullible people blinded by hope funding these projects

It's already started and it's going to get worse as more and more people download a free or cheap MMO kit and set out to create the ultimate MMO that, of course, hasn't been made because the professional studios with 200-300 employees and a dozen titles to their name are just all lazy and afraid of risk. Their features lists read like wishlists, and when 

What's worse, is the people throwing money at projects that have a dozen red flags to begin with are going to fault everyone anyone but the guys that actually promised the sun, took the money and then couldn't deliver.  

Obviously I'm not talking about all MMO project or even the majority of them. There are enough, however, with nothing but a promise and a prayer... and lots of people buying into it. 

Kickstarter is both the best and the worst thing to happen to the 'indie' MMO scene. The horrible part about it is the amount of money that will be wasted over the year or so it takes before either more stringent rules are in place or enough people get burnt to actually start using history and logic instead of hope as their deciding factors when it comes to backing projects. 

Spot on, couldn't have said it better. The vast part of that money is going to be wasted into crap projects made by total amateurs who don't have a clue about what they got themself into. It smells like "fail" from miles away, and I for sure would never invest my money there.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

My take is that like 99% of the games will be crap, and there's like a 1% chance some "gem" will come out of this.

Oh, so then KS games will turn out just like AAA games

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

When was the last successful "indie" MMORPG? EvE maybe (even though it's not exactly indie)? All the rest is total crap, nice promises with no delivery, sub par products with poor programming and arrogant nobodies thinking they are the next Blizzard when in reality they are blinded by their "vision" which only lead them to the inevitable conclusion, a crap game.

There have been some failure AAA MMOs too of course, but most are doing decently, even the "worse" are doing way more money than any of those indie failgames.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

When was the last successful "indie" MMORPG? EvE maybe (even though it's not exactly indie)? All the rest is total crap, nice promises with no delivery, sub par products with poor programming and arrogant nobodies thinking they are the next Blizzard when in reality they are blinded by their "vision" which only lead them to the inevitable conclusion, a crap game.

There have been some failure AAA MMOs too of course, but most are doing decently, even the "worse" are doing way more money than any of those indie failgames.

You said 99% of games will be crap. Not 99% will be successful.

Case in point- SWTOR. Crappy game thats successful.

It too came with "nice promises with no delivery, sub par products with poor programming and arrogant nobodies thinking they are the next Blizzard when in reality they are blinded by their "vision" which only lead them to the inevitable conclusion, a crap game."

Next at bat in this AAA Crap League- Zenimax with TESO

Will it succeed? Probably. Its Elder Scrolls! Will it be crap, Again, probably

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

These projects aren't just businesses, they are creative works.

OMG I AM AN ARTIST! GIMME MONEY, I AM CREATIVE!!

You know, there are plenty of artists that make money, some make incredible money(music, fashion, design, etc.), but there is most who don't - like in any business because art is a product.

Just because your art/product is not considered by audience/customers worth their money or simply you do not sell for whatever reason, means you are fail artist/failed business.

No more, no less. It is really simple as that and there is no reason to donate products that are made with no regard whether they will be economically viable.

Last time I checked it wasn't bagels people were pledging to Kickstarter projects. If they didn't think the work/project was worthwhile, they wouldn't be pledging money on Kickstarter to help get it created now, would they? Q.E.D.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

• people who don't know what they are getting themselves into and thus do not realize they lack the skills/knowledge to accomplish their task

It's already started and it's going to get worse as more and more people download a free or cheap MMO kit and set out to create the ultimate MMO that, of course, hasn't been made because the professional studios with 200-300 employees and a dozen titles to their name are just all lazy and afraid of risk. Their features lists read like wishlists, and when 

What's worse, is the people throwing money at projects that have a dozen red flags to begin with are going to fault everyone anyone but the guys that actually promised the sun, took the money and then couldn't deliver.  

Obviously I'm not talking about all MMO project or even the majority of them. There are enough, however, with nothing but a promise and a prayer... and lots of people buying into it. 

Kickstarter is both the best and the worst thing to happen to the 'indie' MMO scene. The horrible part about it is the amount of money that will be wasted over the year or so it takes before either more stringent rules are in place or enough people get burnt to actually start using history and logic instead of hope as their deciding factors when it comes to backing projects. 

If I donate to any project on Kickstarter, I consider it just that. Meaning I'm not expecting/counting on anything back for the donation. It's just something that I feel is worthwhile contributing to in order to try to help the people behind it make it happen. If they succeed and get something launched successfully, awesome.... If not, shrug...no big deal, better luck next time.

It's like buying a lottery ticket...you should consider the money already lost when you buy it.... you don't count on winning. If you do, it's a nice surprise....it's just fun to imagine that you might.

Your sole opinion doesn't make a game "crap". If it's successful, then it's obviously not crap for many.

Make up your mind...

Many people confuse "opinion" with "reality". Reality is how many people want to play a game. No matter if you, me, or whoever think it's crap, if millions want to play it, it's not crap, it's a successful product.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Your sole opinion doesn't make a game "crap". If it's successful, then it's obviously not crap for many.

Make up your mind...

Many people confuse "opinion" with "reality". Reality is how many people want to play a game. No matter if you, me, or whoever think it's crap, if millions want to play it, it's not crap, it's a successful product.

Countdown until useless and overused Mcdonald's analogy is used to refute this post

In 4...3...2...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

If I donate to any project on Kickstarter, I consider it just that. Meaning I'm not expecting/counting on anything back for the donation. It's just something that I feel is worthwhile contributing to in order to try to help the people behind it make it happen. If they succeed and get something launched successfully, awesome.... If not, shrug...no big deal, better luck next time.

It's like buying a lottery ticket...you should consider the money already lost when you buy it.... you don't count on winning. If you do, it's a nice surprise....it's just fun to imagine that you might.

As explained a few posts back, you're not the backer tier I am referring to.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Mcdonalds is good for when your on the road and don't have time to sit down for a meal.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

kickstarter stopped mmo's stagnation as much as i've cured cancer and got rid of world hunger. im not quite there just yet, but i will someday.... i think... i promise!

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the srious backers are already a lot more discerning about where their money goes, so the presence of Hope-and-Dream projects that fail wouldn't really affect them to begin with as they'd already be avoiding them?Interesting.  That makes sense, actually. Thanks, Gd.

Yep, that is what I mean.

Last time I checked it wasn't bagels people were pledging to Kickstarter projects. If they didn't think the work/project was worthwhile, they wouldn't be pledging money on Kickstarter to help get it created now, would they? Q.E.D.

People don't think the project is going to work or is worthwhile, they WISH the project was working and worthwhile. That is a difference between investment and donation.

Also, people put hefty amounts of money into Ponzi schemes too...

Rift would probably fit the bill.

Also, CCP not independant? What?

Now, when was the last successful AAA MMO? 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

Originally posted by Grixxitt

Clone Wars Adventures, Loong,  Allods, PWI, HKO, Vindictus, DDTank, Free Realms, Lords of Ultima, Bloodline:Champions, Order and Chaos, Wakfu... most any title, indie or AAA,  that isn't targeting the jaded MMO gamer is doing well. 

I know, I know... there's a reason why each one of those don't count, right? ;)

Clone Wars Adventures, Loong,  Allods, PWI, HKO, Vindictus, DDTank, Free Realms, Lords of Ultima, Bloodline:Champions, Order and Chaos, Wakfu... most any title, indie or AAA,  that isn't targeting the jaded MMO gamer is doing well. 

Arent those F2P browser games? 

Does Farmville count as an MMO now too?

-The MMO Forum Community

Arent those F2P browser games? 

Does Farmville count as an MMO now too?

You're too predictable. image

Who cares if they are browser or F2P? That wasn't your question. You asked about AAA MMOs.

If by AAA, you mean backed by a publisher, then most of those qualify.

If by AAA, you mean the money spent, then most of those qualify.

Do you have some new definition of AAA? From your reply it seems that you're under the impression it must be subscription-based and have a windows client to qualify.

I really do want you to let me know how far down you want to refine the conditions for 'AAA' here. It will go a long way toward helping to show that making games for the jaded MMO gamer is, for the most part, a waste of time and money. It will really help show how that audience is doing its best to disenfranchise itself until MMOs are made for everyone but them.