Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the sub fee + item shop keeping anyone away?

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Soandsoso
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

1- Funcom isn't owned by EA.

2- I said possible paid expansions. I wouldn't be suprised if they did, but hopefully, they'll go for free patch updates, and an exp pack in a year, like Rift's doing.

3- "I already paid for the box and sub. If i have to pay any extra amount of money, it's a rip off. Even if it's for just cosmetic items"

Let me use this logic again

"I already paid for the box, exp pack and has a CS. If i have to pay any extra amount of money of another game just to have access to other items, it's a rip off. Even if it's just cosmetic"

EDIT: Look, 2 greedy companies that are trying to milk me. Like i said, nothing new. Stop trying to believe devs care more about you than your money.

Assuming an expansion comes out in one year for both games.

GW2 - $60 until expansion 1 year from now. You don't have to spend any money in the cash shop.

TSW - $240 until expansion 1 year from now. You do not have to pay for anything in the cash shop.

Do you see the difference?

Than play GW2 and move on. I really don't see what your issue is.

No issue. That guy was acting like it was the same. It's not at all the same.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Wasn't sure if the OP mentioned this but you could get into the beta this weekend via a free key from MMORPG.  Think at this point in time they have around 6k left.  I decided that I will wait until a few months to see how this game turns out.  The sub fee and cash shop is a pretty interesting concept to start out with, I'm honestly waiting for peoples feedback on it.  I am sure it will prob be fluff items but as other mentioned the track record for Funcom isn't all that positive.  I'm glad they made a different type of game with The Secret World, but after being burned on previous MMo's (dc universe, SWTOR, Diablo 3, I'll wait.

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

2- I said possible paid expansions. I wouldn't be suprised if they did, but hopefully, they'll go for free patch updates, and an exp pack in a year, like Rift's doing.

3- "I already paid for the box and sub. If i have to pay any extra amount of money, it's a rip off. Even if it's for just cosmetic items"

"I already paid for the box, exp pack and has a CS. If i have to pay any extra amount of money of another game just to have access to other items, it's a rip off. Even if it's just cosmetic"

EDIT: Look, 2 greedy companies that are trying to milk me. Like i said, nothing new. Stop trying to believe devs care more about you than your money.

GW2 - $60 until expansion 1 year from now. You don't have to spend any money in the cash shop.

TSW - $240 until expansion 1 year from now. You do not have to pay for anything in the cash shop.

I know it's not the same. F2P i don't have to pay anything. So?

What i'm trying to show is that this whole sub and CS is by evil companies milking your money. It's true, it is, but it's not like Anet's any different.

Again, TSW may or may not have paid expansions. Also, don't fans say GW2 will have them every 6-8 months? It's 12 now.

Like i said, TSW milks you with box, sub and CS

GW2 milks you with GW1, box, exp, some from CS.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by udon

If you don't like the item mall then don't use it. Its not mandatory. I really don't see the issue here.

Yea don't use it and look like a clone next to everyone else in game clothing wise.  There are like 4 jackets in game right now each in 6 or so colors and that's it.  I have never seen or heard of a single clothing item you can craft or one that drops off mobs.  As far as I can tell everything that affects your appearance is in the cash shop.

Maybe that will change by launch and maybe it won't.

They didn't add them to the beta as it would be just be bloat at this point and time. Atm they have the basics so people can beta test, find the bugs and such so they can fix them.

Its obvious that that wasn't why you played.

I have played and never once saw someone that looked like me and that was with the limited options.

Do you know that's the reason appearance gear isn't droping or are you assuming that's the reason?

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

TSW- Box sale, sub fee, CS. Possible paid expansionsGW2- Box sale, CS, paid expansion, buy GW1 to have acces to HOM rewardsDon't see a problem. Companies are trying to milk your money. Nothing new.

Businesses exist to make money...that's the point. It's not milking, that comes across a bit childish, or as a statement coming from one inexperienced with how the real world works.

What i'm trying to show is that this whole sub and CS is by evil companies milking your money. It's true, it is, but it's not like Anet's any different.

Again, TSW may or may not have paid expansions. Also, don't fans say GW2 will have them every 6-8 months? It's 12 now.

Why do you keep adding in GW1? If you buy GW1, you actually get to play GW1, an entire game filled with a ton of content. Linking your accounts gives you consmetic fluff in GW2. It is not a requirement to play GW2, just so you know.

GW2 - Box + Exp

TWS - Box + Sub + Exp

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

They can only milk you of your money if you choose to use the cash shop.

If you don't like the item mall then don't use it. Its not mandatory. I really don't see the issue here.

Yea don't use it and look like a clone next to everyone else in game clothing wise.  There are like 4 jackets in game right now each in 6 or so colors and that's it.  I have never seen or heard of a single clothing item you can craft or one that drops off mobs.  As far as I can tell everything that affects your appearance is in the cash shop.

They didn't add them to the beta as it would be just be bloat at this point and time. Atm they have the basics so people can beta test, find the bugs and such so they can fix them.

Its obvious that that wasn't why you played.

I have played and never once saw someone that looked like me and that was with the limited options.

Do you know that's the reason appearance gear isn't droping or are you assuming that's the reason?

Read it in a thread. Don't remember if it was this forum or the official ones.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

There is an impact though even if you don't use it. Games with cash shops to some extent have their development focus skewed towards getting people to use the cash shop. That is opposed to a dev focus geared towards making the game fun enough to play to keep you subbed.

Dev interview.

But what will those happy people look like? Of course they will have big smiles on their faces, but they can’t walk around nude either. Well, in this game maybe they can, but usually everyone likes to have their own style when it comes to in-game clothing. We have heard lots about how many pieces of clothing there are in the game, so everyone will be able to look the way they want to, but we still haven’t heard how we can get hold of them. It seems like we won’t just be able to go shopping for them right away either:

“Some of the clothes are purchasable from vendors, some are available in the item shop, but most of it is reward based. One thing I’m particularly excited about is the template deck outfits. Template decks are a set of powers that enables the player to fulfill a certain role, and this is comparable to Magic the Gatherings starter decks. On completion of any of these templates the player is given an outfit that reflects what that deck is. So for instance if a player completes the Ninja deck, he or she is given a Ninja costume. And all of the templates are faction specific, meaning that there will be different outfits for Templars, Illuminati or Dragon!”

Originally posted by Paradigm68

There is an impact though even if you don't use it. Games with cash shops to some extent have their development focus skewed towards getting people to use the cash shop. That is opposed to a dev focus geared towards making the game fun enough to play to keep you subbed.

Then don't play the game? I know where you are coming from but if enough people felt that way then we wouldn't be seeing this trend.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

TSW internal projections have indicated that they expect, on average, an addition $5.25 a month per subscriber in cash shop purchases.

The game is releasing shortly and they have not yet fully disclosed what kinds of items you can buy. I know what the developers have said, but the idea of "convenience" and "nice to have" may me one thing to me, and one thing to a company looking to make an additional $60 a year off of players.

Yes, the $5.25 is an average per player. Some will spend nothing and some will spend a lot, but there it is.

Additionally, when paying a sub, one generally expects regular content updates that somehow justify the fee. We know they have material planned for 7 years, but we have little information on content patch release cycles. With only 8 areas at launch, I am curious about the longevity of content without doing PvP or doing repeatable quests.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Why do you keep adding in GW1? If you buy GW1, you actually get to play GW1, an entire game filled with a ton of content. Linking your accounts gives you consmetic fluff in GW2. It is not a requirement to play GW2, just so you know.

GW2 - Box + Exp

TWS - Box + Sub + Exp

Because many may not like GW1, just GW2. Look, i think that it's a good game. Very unique and innovative for it's time, but some may just not be into it, even with all that content. Hell, many are playing it just for the HOM rewards without giving a sh** for the gane.

Also, your logic makes no sense. The CS is cosmetic fluff that is not required to play TSW either. So, why is GW2 ok and so bad with TSW.

TSW- I pay for my box, sub and even then, i have CS that i must pay for to have access to 100% of the full game, even if cosmetic.

GW2- I pay my box, expansions, and even then i have to buy another game i don't want just to have access to 100% of the full game,even if only cosmetic

GW2 - Box + Exp

TWS - Box + Sub + Exp

Because many may not like GW1, just GW2. Look, i think that it's a good game. Very unique and innovative for it's time, but some may just not be into it, even with all that content. Hell, many are playing it just for the HOM rewards without giving a sh** for the gane.

Also, your logic makes no sense. The CS is cosmetic fluff that is not required to play TSW either. So, why is GW2 ok and so bad with TSW.

TSW- I pay for my box, sub and even then, i have CS that i must pay for to have access to 100% of the full game, even if cosmetic.

GW2- I pay my box, expansions, and even then i have to buy another game i don't want just to have access to 100% of the full game,even if only cosmetic

Eh, whatever.

Go and buy GW1 because you feel like you are forced to. It's still $210 cheaper than TSW over the course of a year.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

GW2 - Box + Exp

TWS - Box + Sub + Exp

Eh, whatever.

Go and buy GW1 because you feel like you are forced to. It's still $210 cheaper than TSW over the course of a year.

Having seen the store (not activated yet but you can bring it up in game) its 90% clothing items, but its all the good looking clothing items. Its all the accesories like jewellry. Yup unless you want to wear the same outfits everyone else is break out your CC.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

HOMBRE-

You don't have to buy GW1 to play GW2.  In fact, the only thing about GW1 that crosses over is that you get some "honor" carried over from the 1st game in the hall of monuments.  You don't miss out on any content.  Lastly,

Your claim is so false it's blatant slandering and lying.

TSW= Box, Sub, CS

GW2= Box, CS

ps- Cant think of any game that doesnt charge for full blown expansions.  You've definately got a whacked out sense of what is normal.

Originally posted by DarkDemon69

GW2 - Box + Exp

TWS - Box + Sub + Exp

Eh, whatever.

Having seen the store (not activated yet but you can bring it up in game) its 90% clothing items, but its all the good looking clothing items. Its all the accesories like jewellry. Yup unless you want to wear the same outfits everyone else is break out your CC.

But what will those happy people look like? Of course they will have big smiles on their faces, but they can’t walk around nude either. Well, in this game maybe they can, but usually everyone likes to have their own style when it comes to in-game clothing. We have heard lots about how many pieces of clothing there are in the game, so everyone will be able to look the way they want to, but we still haven’t heard how we can get hold of them. It seems like we won’t just be able to go shopping for them right away either:

“Some of the clothes are purchasable from vendors, some are available in the item shop, but most of it is reward based. One thing I’m particularly excited about is the template deck outfits. Template decks are a set of powers that enables the player to fulfill a certain role, and this is comparable to Magic the Gatherings starter decks. On completion of any of these templates the player is given an outfit that reflects what that deck is. So for instance if a player completes the Ninja deck, he or she is given a Ninja costume. And all of the templates are faction specific, meaning that there will be different outfits for Templars, Illuminati or Dragon!”

Just play the game and you will be rewarded with the clothes you envy so much. If you don't like it don't pay, if it bothers you that much don't play. We all have choices.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Dev interview.

And what do you want to bet that within the first 3 months the number of clothing items in the cash shop is 2-3 times greater than what you can get in game?  That's the problem I have with cash shops in sub games even if they just have "convinence" items in them.  They have this way of changing how the game is played and developed in small but noticable ways.  Anyone who played EQ2 and paid attention during the cash shop transistion could see what a convinence cash shop did to gear drops and appearance over time.  SOE recycles art/models like crazy on gear that drops in game and the only unique stuff is in the cash shop.  Everything I have seen so far tells me TSW is the same only more so since it's being designed from day one that way.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Let's internet

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Im staying away of this game because i had enough of sub based games. I prefer F2P (and B2P) as long as its not P2W. IM tired of buying sub based games only to play the first free month (TSW is no exception). I do like TSW (except for the clunktastic combat that need work), and i want to play it but ill wait longer. The game will launch with lifetime sub and cash shop so if the game flops they will be ready to make it F2P like AoC did. When that happens, ill be waiting to make my move. If it does well and i hope to does, then ill either buy when they make discounts or just play other games. Just because i like a game im not going to pay more than whats worth IMO

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

since they already charge the player for every possible thing ever made, those extra clothing should be earned in game without real money. I always prefer cash shop in games only if the game is either F2P or B2P.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Only thing keeping from playing this game is there are to many zones and instances. No one wants to make a MMO world anymore.

• revelationmdrevelationmd Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Rightlov

The Secret World is targetting a small niche segment. They'll have a core fanbase that will enjoy the hell out of the game!

But since they playerbase will be noticeable smaller than other fantasy mmorpgs, it'll need to have a subfee to keep it running. Considering that this game is specifically aiming for a niche segment, and they doing everything to entertain them, these people will, as said, have a fun time, and not minding spending a few dollars.

Guild Wars 2 is going for every single fantasy (the majority) mmorpg-player out there - and will probably get a lot of them. They'll have a huge segment to eat. So instead of a few that pay more*, they'll have A LOT that pay less*.

*=compared to TSW.

Yeah, I think this is about right but I would say that even if I'm really enjoying my time in a subs game I'd be unlikely to visit the CS for altruistic reasons. I wouldn't think twice about spending real cash for some cosmetic benefit by way of supporting a F2P game but the subscription +cash shop, that is putting me off a bit. I've bought GW2 and will probably spend a few £ each month on nonsense just to feel warm inside :) - assuming I'm enjoying the game.

In fact I'd go as far as saying that I think I'm more likely to quit a sub game after a couple of bad nights play than I would a F2P game. Bad nights on a F2P (friends don't log on, get into a sh***y PUG etc etc) so what? Take a break, check back next week. Bad nights on a sub game - suddenly you are paying for something you don't enjoy. Cancel your account, with the full intention of reinstating it in a week or two. Couple of weeks later, delete off the hard drive as you can't be asked with reinstating the account and spending a months sub to find out if you still enjoy it.

Maybe that's just me though - but that's exactly what I have done with WoW, Rift and SWTOR in the past, and once those games get deleted off the drive, I'm just never gonna be bothered to redownload them.

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

No the ability to solo everything except the instances is keeping me away, which sucks because I love the setting and don't even mind the combat. This design of making a game soloable from start to level cap is getting old. Some good games like Rift and not so great like SWTOR are completely ruined with the solo to cap systems and sadly Secret World seems to be the same thing. Not to mention you can probably do it in two weeks or less like all games seem to be these days. So went back to EQ and thinking of making a run at DAoC soon.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'd say it's more the subscription fee than anything, I haven't played a game in quite a while that I believed was deserving of a subscription fee. maybe if TSW updates and adds content as quickly as Trion does with Rift.