Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it with these leveling speed complaints on the official forums?

Comments

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

eek leveling.... It just doesn't make since to me anymore. Call it the TSW effect ;)

Really though the one guy said he was 21 at the end of the first beta and he is still 21?!?! That's a steep XP curve right there. That being said before I played TSW, I was one of the people who wanted leveling slowed down when WoW was moving to fast food.

At the same time tthere needs to be meaningfull content at lower levels in order to slow down leveling. Idk leveling is just dumb imo... 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

The more I explored and went off the <3 path, the higher the exp rate apppeared to add up. For the human starting area (I played all three, with each race, and a new calss each time), I took part in more than one DE at the same time! a couple of times haha

I first played the Norn and didn't pay as much attention to exp, just ran around and tried things out to get a feel for the game.

I heard people complaining most in the human starting area, my 2nd go to lvl 12, I was doing <3 quests 2-4 lvls above my range since the lvl 6 <3 one.

My third character, a charr, I picked a ranger and make extra sure to explore everything and look out for the juvenile pets. I played this last night (very few people on compared to all other times) and earlier in the morning. I was focusing more on getting all of my attack abilites - to determine if I liked the class than on leveling. However, I was consistant with my main quests and the <3 quests I came across. I felt like I actually leveled this character faster, maybe because I already did two others and was more proficient in playing or maybe because I was focused on getting combat abilities?

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by dontadow

With access to 3 starting zones their shouldn't be any problems leveling from the beginning.  I just made 26 to 30 in 3 hours.  Exploration is definately key, many times DEs are often the beaten track.

I didnt notice a problem in the frequency.  

I, personally, didn't want to leave the starter area of the race I was playing. I certainly hope a game designer, who has added any kind of story to a game, would not expect players to do that

Originally posted by Arataki

At the moment, GW2 does not do a very good job of explaining itself. Hearts are not the end all, be all of an area. They are simply intended to lure you to a spot and from there, your interactions with the NPCs were supposed to kick off small missions which snowballed into DEs. However, there is absolutely nothing in the game that even hints to this.

Second, yes, if you are underleveled, you will have a bit of an issue exploring as mobs will kick your ass. And there is a very large flaw in "zomg, just go to another races starting area for exp." It's called replayability. Visiting other races starting area for exp, means that playing any of those starting races is going to be an exercise in repetition. There is an equally large flaw in assuming that everyone should be happy with a large amount of their necessary exp coming from crafting.

Third, simply telling people that "leveling is not the point" is neatly counteracted by the personal story have very clear level requirements. You are only level 14 and have finished Queensdale? You probably wouldn't really give it a second thought, if there wasn't that big red (16) next your personal story based in the next zone where everything is slapping you around.

Fourth, repetition is repetition. Do you know what the term is for a game design that encourages doing the same thing over and over? A grind. No one explores to see the same thing. 2 or 3 times, ok, maybe. However, if people are getting bored of an event the fifth time around, it is doing no one any favours to claim that they were "just in the wrong mindset."

Sir, I agree with every sentence in your post

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

Based on my experience, the world was not all that "eventful". Also, I thought DEs were supposed to chain? I only encountered two DEs that chained: the water pipe one (where they repair the pipes after the first raid), and the bandit raid on the farmland (if the bandits win, you have to clear them). Is a chain of 2 the typical? Seems a little weak. 

No, there are more, I can recall the events where centaurs take over a small camp and from there burn the farmlands, or how in the swamp you have the end of the chain is that that big boss mob appears (forgot its name).

Thing is, with as many players as there are at such a BWE, you'll probably only see the latter stages of some events where players are victorious, not so much the situation what happens when mobs have pushed an event chain completely to their advantage.

I also expect that in tutorial areas things are still slowly introduced. I saw flowcharts of some areas, and there you had DE event chains that ran through a whole zone.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Strangely, I want them to slow down the leveling rate.

If you complete one part of a dynamic event, often if you just stay and listen to them talk, it will lead into another event.

But I think people finish and event and run off looking for the next one, thereby missing a lot of interesting content.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

After reading those threads, i want to physically harm those people.

People are too obsessed with getting to the next level instead of enjoying the one they're on.

This mentallity has to change and i hope Anet doesn't cave into them.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

If you complete one part of a dynamic event, often if you just stay and listen to them talk, it will lead into another event.

But I think people finish and event and run off looking for the next one, thereby missing a lot of interesting content.

Interesting. I am probably guilty of running off. I think I got it in my mind that I had to quickly start my search for another DE. Or maybe not. 

Either way, if there is a big thread about it, it means alot of people were encountering the issue, so there should be some form of resolution

Originally posted by cooper85

eek leveling.... It just doesn't make since to me anymore. Call it the TSW effect ;)

Really though the one guy said he was 21 at the end of the first beta and he is still 21?!?! That's a steep XP curve right there. That being said before I played TSW, I was one of the people who wanted leveling slowed down when WoW was moving to fast food.

At the same time tthere needs to be meaningfull content at lower levels in order to slow down leveling. Idk leveling is just dumb imo... 

Right, because TSW doesn't have a progression path similar to leveling in every other MMO game.

And frankly, level is largely irrelevant in the game, as you are auto-scaled down to an appropriate level for all old content so that it remains challening, so that as they add and change dynamic events, all areas can remain interesting.

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Interesting. I am probably guilty of running off. I think I got it in my mind that I had to quickly start my search for another DE. Or maybe not. 

Either way, if there is a big thread about it, it means alot of people were encountering the issue, so there should be some form of resolution

It's a bit like participating in a story. When you have met success or failure conditions for an event, the NPCs around will often talk about what they are going to do next. People aren't used to listening to the game or paying attention to environmental cues, they just head off to the next quest hub.

For example, after defending against a harpy attack, one of the NPCs from the artilery stations needs to wander off to the nearby rock quarry to get more ammo. You can follow him and partipate in this event, then he returns to his station. Events tend to become more complex as you go into higher level areas.

Not every event chains significantly, and some events chain for a long time leading into meta events. Oftentimes when running through an area, people are only catching part of the dynamic content of that area. But then again, this can lead to a lot of replayability.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I didn't play in the first BWE, so this was my first experience with GW2

I was trying to level strictly by following the hearts. That doesn't mean I went to the heart and moved to the next heart as soon as I finished it. I explored the whole area around the heart looking for events. My experience was somewhat frustrating. 

I found it difficult to find active events. If I had already beaten the heart event, usually nothing else was going on near-by. I would extend my search away from the heart and find myself running for several minutes without encountering any events. Was I supposed to go talk to all the NPCs near the heart to trigger an event? I have no idea. In the end, I was giving up and teleporting around the world looking for events going on nearby, just so I could to the next part of the story.

Based on my experience, the world was not all that "eventful". Also, I thought DEs were supposed to chain? I only encountered two DEs that chained: the water pipe one (where they repair the pipes after the first raid), and the bandit raid on the farmland (if the bandits win, you have to clear them). Is a chain of 2 the typical? Seems a little weak. 

As my wife said, this is a game for people who like to explore. The hearts are a great way to find things to do, but a lot of stuff happens on the way from and to places and in between. 

For instance, if you see a cave on your map, go and investigate it, theirs a regular event that takes place in most caves.  If you see a skill point, go and try to find it (also events circulate around that).  Listen to people talking (talk to people,  or listen to idle conversation). Many times they are taking about events going on.  

Try exploring htew aters, even in starter zones, again events happen. 

If you play this game like Wow, going from obvious quest to obvious quest, you're not going to find a lot of stuff to do.  I stopped talking to the scouts aftter level 10, scouts were put in to ease wow players into a new game.  After you figure out that just giong out and "finding things" is the best way to stay busy.  

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Well I finished BW2 over level 60, I guess I'm ready for the next open zone? :D

It's a silly complaint in the forums.

Originally posted by cooper85

Leveling is a level per 2 hours says the developers. I was leveling doing heart quests and surrounding dynamic events at about 4 level in 3 hours (if you focus on it).  NOrmally i level about 1 every 90 minutes.  And that's not repeating content or redoing heart quests.  

With access to 3 starting zones their shouldn't be any problems leveling from the beginning.  I just made 26 to 30 in 3 hours.  Exploration is definately key, many times DEs are often the beaten track.

I, personally, didn't want to leave the starter area of the race I was playing. I certainly hope a game designer, who has added any kind of story to a game, would not expect players to do that

Each land tells its own story, so you certainly won't screw up any other stories doing that.  I leveled perfectly fine in my Charr lands, but I still enjoyed exploring hte ohter environments to meet friends. 

I dont get your connection between story and exploring other lands? 

Then I'm afraid you're playing the wrong game. 

Look, everybody has their thing. If exploration is too much for you, and that's cool, then it's a good thing you didn't preregister.  Their are many a games (TSW) that will have awesome quest hubs and quest lines that make quests easy to follow and make sure u're the right level (TSW calls them attribution points) for the place you're suppose to be at.  

You can't play mario brothers and wonder why you can't run fast like in Sonic.   

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by fundayz

The problem stems from the fact that DE frequency is undertuned right now, most likely from all the feedback during BWE1 complaining that there were too many events/resetting too fast. I even made a thread about this in the Dynamic Event forum.

If you read carefully, it is easy to tell that people finding themselves underlevelled are levelling exclusively through DE's and Renown Hearts. Those (including myself) that participate in everything from WvW to crafting to exploration do not have any problems levelling. 

IS the DE frequency really undertuned- isn't more the case that players haven't learned that they have to aktivate the DE's?

In so many cases i have seen a bunch of players complete an event. to run away. And a 1 minute after I hade figured out how to tricker the next stages in the event, and i am alone doing that part for the first few minutets

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

They will likely adjust xp later on.  But isn't a starting zone suppose to get you through the initial learning curve of the game? Should we have to travel to other zones to max out the starter levels?  If so, what happens to replay value?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Maybe they should have a NPC that reminds people that they can take a gate to starting another zone.  

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

From what I personally saw there is the starter area and a general hub connected to the starter area which hold all of the main game functions (crafting, personal story, etc). By simply exploring the starting area and the main hub you can get to level 4 or so without killing a single mob. By just wandering through the world fighting stuff I have had no problems with levels in general. I have played the 3 race area's with different characters up to about lvl 10 to lvl 12. In addition most area's are designed to by played by multiple people and thus if you are slightly underleveled its ok.

In general though I did not play too much as I got the taste of the game that I wanted and am simply waiting for release now. I dont want to learn all of the in's and out's of the game before release just to sleepwalk through the first 25% of the game. I want to save some mystery for my release characters.

Originally posted by waynejr2

They will likely adjust xp later on.  But isn't a starting zone suppose to get you through the initial learning curve of the game? Should we have to travel to other zones to max out the starter levels?  If so, what happens to replay value?

All they can do is suggest how to play. The game tells you. STart off by going to heart quests, try doing dynamic events around your zone and exploring around the heart quests and looking for events. 

Now, if you just go from heart quest ot heart quest, and decide not to do dynamic events or not look for them, then you' have made the conscious decision to not follow the leveling suggestion for hte starting area. Which means you should have another plan.

With my char, i leveled fine to my starting area, and was a level above on average until i hit my 20s. With my human i did more exploration outside of my starting area when i started, and ended up being 2 to 3 levels usually over the zones i was going in. 

Of course, this isn't wow, so i frequently visited lower level zones as there were dynamic chains i wanted to take part in.  

Heck, I just signed on for one last go around and right at my sign on spot a dynamic chain event was happening.  

When i was 8, I couldn't figure out how to  defeat king koopa, my older brother told me to go back to playing pacman. It hurt my pride a little but i just wasn't at the level of figuring out something different.  Unfortnately, a lot of folk remind me of me when i was 8.  (and yes, eventually i learned how to play a nintendo and stopped playing atari). 

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I've learned that if you actually LISTEN to NPCs... ones who say things like 'Hey, over here', and talk to them, you can trigger events.  Or if you follow NPCs around and see what they did when you helped them, that can lead to further stages.

There's a lot of events out there I never noticed the first time around.

I'm not sure how sometimes the same person can be complaining that the game holds their hand too much AND that they couldn't figure out what to do to level.  It's like once the game stopped holding their hand (Go here, do this heart, look, event is RIGHT HERE), they get lost.  :(

Next time the game offers to hold your hand, smack it!  Tell it that you're a grown up and you can find the awesome hidden stuff, thank you very much.

Oh, and being on an underpopulated server (One o fthe new ones) in the later zone?  Wow, that was like post apocalyptic, the badguys had conquered EVERYTHING.  :/  So rough.  Enemies everywhere, half the waypoints locked. :P  More dynamic events than I could shake a very large dynamic event shaking stick at, since they all had to be pushed back from maximum lost state.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by Creslin321
    So I was checking out the official forums, and it seems like the complaint du jour is:  "I completed my starting zone but I'm not high enough level to go to the next zone."Here are two threads that talk about this:https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/GW2-feels-too-much-like-a-chore/page/1https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Clarification-on-most-leveling-complaints/page/1#post219865 Now...I just don't get these complaints.  If anyone has played the BWE, they should know that there is PLENTY of content to level you up on hearts alone if you want.  You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.It seems like these posters basically just want to be completely led by the nose through their zone and their zone alone, and are not willing to even try to go anywhere else.  Instead they would rather complain that there isn't enough stuff to do on the boards.If you can't tell, this annoys me because I don't want ANET to react to their feedback and increase the leveling speed so that they can go right from Queensdale to Kessex Hills.  What do you all think of this?

Wow. People are sad. First, in this game an area is never really over since you can redo most events over and over, and second (as the OP mentioned) just in BETA there are 2 other starting areas to go to, in live there will be 4 others. Starting a new toon from scratch, I managed to get to level 24 this BEW, and that was with messing around with old toons, crafting a ton, starting different classes to see if anything early level changed for them, exploring, and being out for 8 hours on Saturday. So (at least this build) the XP was certainly there for the taking. Frankly in live I hope they lower it a bit.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.
    A lot of people would prefer not to feel forced to visit another starting area to level up enough to handle the area following their own starting area. They would prefer to hit that race's area fresh with an alt.

Also, I suspect a lot of people are accustomed to devs putting their best foot forward with starting zones, and they think "if there's not enough content in the first zone to progress past it without repeating events, how little content will there be later on??"

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Banquetto

You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.

A lot of people would prefer not to feel forced to visit another starting area to level up enough to handle the area following their own starting area. They would prefer to hit that race's area fresh with an alt.

Also, I suspect a lot of people are accustomed to devs putting their best foot forward with starting zones, and they think "if there's not enough content in the first zone to progress past it without repeating events, how little content will there be later on??"

I swear the problem is people aren't able to figure out how to activate DEs on their own.

Which is sad, they alraedy had to put in so much stuff like scouts to help people out, if they listen to the players who can't figure out how to level in the starting zone they'll have to make even the hidden events 100% self-evident. :/

Originally posted by Banquetto

And this is where people are misinterpreting what is being said and trying to say the developers "are forcing you" to go to other starting areas.  

No one's forcing you to do anything. If you follow the questing suggestions you should level easily in teh starting level. If you decide not to explore, then you have options. If you just want to do heart quests, then you will need to go to other areas. YOu can not level from heart quests, and dynamic events take place around heart quests, but not where their are.  

The easiest way to level is to try to open up waypoints, waypoints usually will bring you near an event when its happening. 

Someone brought up a good point. It feels like most people are like bad escort missions. The minute someone isn't looking you get lost and kiilled.