Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it with these leveling speed complaints on the official forums?

18910111214»

Comments

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Sythion

I'd love to find out what you did differently than me. I explored everything, getting 100% completion on the exploration thing in both ascalon and black citadel, I completed my entire personal storyline through level 20 ( I just revived NPCs over and over to beat the level 20 boss). And I dilligently expereinced every DE on, around, and on-route to every one of the exporation points.

To ensure I experienced the full DEs I did the following:

• I talked to every NPC I came across, as doing so often spawns DEs
    • I followed the key NPCs after the DE was done to see what else they needed, as that often spawns new legs of a DE.
    • If I failed a DE I would either follow the NPC back to wherever, or I would hang out in the area, killing mobs waiting for the chain to start again.
    • I generally tried to get back in on DE's from the beginning if I had joined in what seemed like the middle, though I was not comprehensive in this.

Here's what I did not do:
    • PvP
    • Gathering
    • Crafting
    • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)
    • Redoing DE's I'd already completed. There were a couple of exceptions, but for the most part if I saw that ghosts were attacking the same place I'd already saved, I did not join in on the quest.
    • Killing my way from point to point. If I could go around mobs I would go around mobs.

So yeah, I'm not sure what the key ingredient is. I have been thinking its crafting, based off the ridiculous EXP it gives, but maybe it's something else.

Really I think that those defending the leveling speed here are either doing stuff that has unreasonably high EXP to Time ratios, or they are running around redoing stuff because it doesn't bother them to do the same DEs over and over (which is still much better than the mmo status quo).

I *think* I figured out what you might be lacking:

• Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)

There are a ton of DEs/"Hidden Gems" off the "Main Path" including "Elite Encounters" "Jumping Puzzles" and full-blown Dynamic Events amongst others that you "missed out" on.

These things aren't necessarily near POIs, Skill Challenges, or any of the Hearts. You won't be guided to them in almost any way other than by seeking them out. Most importantly, I'd guess that anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences.

Step off the beaten path... you never know just what kinds of adventures you might find!

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Stx11

There are a ton of DEs/"Hidden Gems" off the "Main Path" including "Elite Encounters" "Jumping Puzzles" and full-blown Dynamic Events amongst others that you "missed out" on.

These things aren't necessarily near POIs, Skill Challenges, or any of the Hearts. You won't be guided to them in almost any way other than by seeking them out. Most importantly, I'd guess that anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences.

Step off the beaten path... you never know just what kinds of adventures you might find!

You may be right, but I'm going to assume you are either exaggerating or you are really bad with numbers. 30-40% is kind of a ridiculous figure to throw out, especially considering how much of the map is covered by hitting all PoIs and WPs.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

You may be right, but I'm going to assume you are either exaggerating or you are really bad with numbers. 30-40% is kind of a ridiculous figure to throw out, especially considering how much of the map is covered by hitting all PoIs and WPs.

Yes and no. You probably missed a lot of unique DEs by not doing any non-guided exploring. I'm not sure it explains the gaps in your respective levelling vs other players though. 

Mind you, I heard complaints from some people in Queensdale similar to yours and never could figue it out. I wonder if your level of participation, the number of people in the DE, etc has an impact on xp gain; in other words, being on a more (or less) populated server might make a difference. I hope that is not the case.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by terrant

Mind you, I heard complaints from some people in Queensdale similar to yours and never could figue it out. I wonder if your level of participation, the number of people in the DE, etc has an impact on xp gain; in other words, being on a more (or less) populated server might make a difference. I hope that is not the case.

The level of participation has an impact on xp gain, gold, silver and bronze medals award different amounts of experience. I don't think server population has anything to do with xp gain though.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

...anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences...

The 30-40% was in reference to higher level zones. They have fewer Hearts as they ween you off of the "guided" experience.

Almost every cave or remote area I've explored in the game had something going on in it - whether it was a mini-boss guarding resources, a jumping puzzle, or a DE there was still content there. Just the path you can take to a location can greatly affect how much content you encounter and what you get out of the experience.

I have a Guildie that stuck to the roads and used Waypoints frequently when unlocked all while "rushing through" to try to get to the Personal Story instances as fast as possible. She had the same problem you did. Luckily she likes Crafting so that should address her issues.

If you were as "Completionist-focused" as you've posted, I wouldn't be surprised if just the experience from Gathering (not even Crafting/Refining) would be more than enough to cover your XP shortage, but if that's too "immersion-breaking" for you then all I can say is there's nothing wrong with a player preferring a structured approach to playing but it doesn't mean ANet "did it wrong" just that this might not be the right game for you.

Edit: Please remember, the *focus* of GW2 PvE is on Exploration and DEs, *not* the Personal Story, and the game's design reflects that.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Its certainly not slow and besides, whats the rush?  There's no monthly fee and no real POINT to being top level really fast.  What are people going to accomplish that doesn't completely reset itself every 2 weeks?  Its not like theres anything persistant to obtain before anyone.   And like others said, if you're underleveled you've obviously missed a bunch of things, so GO DO THEM.  

I don't think we should have to go to another races areas just to level up, but you do miss out on skill points if you don't.  Replay value is key in this respect.  its one of those great things WOW had.  Lots of different areas to level up in.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

ImaginaA-aa-AA-aa-a-A-tion...