Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where did the hype come from?

Comments

• LytheRageLytheRage Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Chrome1980
    Originally posted by DarkPony

I think their communication / marketing strategy and the game's corporate identity has been beyond top notch.

Their manifesto vid stood out for me. It's probably best sales pitch ever made in this industry. It's virtually impossible to not be moved by it.

Yep...sadly the game doesn't match their manifesto video.

How so?  I've watched the manifesto more than once and played the game and what they say IS there...and so much more.  Watch it again, write something down and then give me a REAL example of what does not match.

Of course, that's me expecting a level of effort you did not display in this post so I won't hold my breath.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I think their communication / marketing strategy and the game's corporate identity has been beyond top notch.Their manifesto vid stood out for me. It's probably best sales pitch ever made in this industry. It's virtually impossible to not be moved by it.

I wasn't. I been following MMO Developer's and their marketing tactics for a long time now, and have gained the ability to see pass hype and marketing tricks like that video. I see pass all the marketing talk Anet has used for GW2. "GW2 has no grind!" "In GW2 the endgame starts at level 1!" "Dynamic Events allow players to change the world in ways never seen before in a MMO"...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I wasn't. I been following MMO Developer's and their marketing tactics for a long time now, and have gained the ability to see pass hype and marketing tricks like that video. I see pass all the marketing talk Anet has used for GW2. "GW2 has no grind!" "In GW2 the endgame starts at level 1!" "Dynamic Events allow players to change the world in ways never seen before in a MMO"...

Sucks to be you, then, I guess. It's quite easy to play the "jaded player who has seen it all". After all, criticizing from outside is easy to do, and since we are all human, there are always lots of flaws and shortcoming to be smug and point out.

GW2 is a great game. It has flaws (see above), but it oozes good design and good direction. I can see a lot of ways it can be easily improved by Anet, and apparently they are hard at work to do so.

Yes, you can be too smart for your own good.

Shame.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It comes from employed agents of influence whom infiltrate online MMO communities such as this sites posing as players, but act in the interest of one of the gaming corporations. These agents either hype titles of their employers or spread false negative impressions against rival companies games. The MMO pie a very contested mob.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by LytheRage

How so?  I've watched the manifesto more than once and played the game and what they say IS there...and so much more.  Watch it again, write something down and then give me a REAL example of what does not match.

Of course, that's me expecting a level of effort you did not display in this post so I won't hold my breath.

"You effect things around you in a permanent way" "You're rescuing a village that will stay rescued."

On a side note Ree Soesbee is hot.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think their communication / marketing strategy and the game's corporate identity has been beyond top notch.

Their manifesto vid stood out for me. It's probably best sales pitch ever made in this industry. It's virtually impossible to not be moved by it.

That's amazing MMOExposed. You truly are an exposer of mmorpgs.

I didn't say that I didn't have my doubts about some of the things they promised but it's put together very well; the way it's paced, the zeal and emotion put into the voice over bits, the clever one liners ... all supported with great music and impressive scenic eyecandy and laced together with their signature art style. It's simply a very well done marketing pitch and I think it has won over a lot of people for their cause ... *coughs* ... game. (A long with for instance the class videos which were very appealing too).

@Those who think everyone said in the manifesto vid is true: Only partly. The bits about how GW2's combat is unlike anything we've played before is quite false. Also the part about there being no grind is iffy at best. Let alone the overall impression they serve you that this is a revolutionary mmorpg. edit: And the bit Atlan99 mentioned.

edit: When they are talking about other games they say:"The boss you killed respawns ten minutes later!" In most of the heart quests I found it didn't even take that long in GW2.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Don't want to crit you guys with a wall of txt so ill make this short and sweet

Ok, so i love guildwars(the first one) what strikes me as odd is Guild Wars never had that big of a player base, With GW2 on the way, i see A LOT of hype for this game, where did it come from?!  

New post popping up of people stating how they're bored etc with gw2 ( i know some are enjoying) but isnt this exactly why you shouldn't follow hype.   I almost want to laugh because people are SOO excited for this game yet ( many) other games have their unique things about them and some i'd say are far better.

Another one of these threads? It's not hype really. Its excitement(No they're not the same)... People know what they're getting and have played it/are currently playing it and are genuinely excited for the game. People that are 'bored' with the game are the people that did everything in the beta. Unlocked everything, discovered everything, touched and sniffed everything, talked to every npc and  walked on every blade of grass in the game. Well, in most cases...

Others are bored because they know they shouldn't go very far because when release happens they will, likely, lose all their progress so they find themselves loggin in, standing around, and chatting.

I won't deny that there is a fair bit of hype. But, the majority is pure excitement. I think it's the first time in a loooong time I've seen people genuinely excited for an MMO. Not since, dare i say it........World of Warcraft.

Sure other games are out there with their unique quirks. Guild Wars 2 just happens to be the right mix of unique and fun and have the most quirks that its drawing a lot of attention. Not only that It's one of the few MMO's that has (literally)  Thousands of game videos, articles, dev walk throughs and player made reviews on it before the game was even in its second 'open' beta.

For me I was kind of excited for Tera, thought it looked good, the combat seemed interesting and different...Until I played it. Nothing against the game, and I'm sure it has it's Niche of players, but it just wasn't for me. I felt like the combat was very 'stop-and-go'. "Run run run run...stop cast spell...run run run run". Now I'll attribute this to the fact that I LOVE the idea of being able to move and cast at the same time, like in GW2.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Atlan99

"You effect things around you in a permanent way" "You're rescuing a village that will stay rescued."

This guy again... To your quote: I'm sorry..I didn't realize that developers couldn't say things early in the development stage and change it slightly as the dev process went on. Because that never happens with any other MMO's. Arenanet should be sued for malpractice and false advertising. /sarcasm = off. In a sense that quote is still true. You save a village and it stays saved....until its attacked again. What the quote means, really, is this.

In a traditional MMO you would walk up to a village, already on fire, get a quest to go kill 10 bandits in the midst of the chaos and come back for your reward. You, in theory, saved the village. Even though the village is sitll on fire and the people are still screaming for help, your quest is done and you are free to move on. Those poor villagers will just have to wait and hope that some other guy will come along to do the quest to alleviate their pain.

In guild wars 2 a farm comes under siege by bandits, you go to help, you effectively drive off the bandits, you look over your shoulder at the farm and all the farmers, they're cheering and thanking you endlessly. You look at the hay and its no longer on fire nor are there bandits respawing at random locations attacking the closest thing. You save a village, or farm, and it stays saved....until its attacked again, that is.

So no the quote isn't wrong. It's different now, yes, but not wrong.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

hmmm actually and more importantly factually it does match. i find it fascinating that people on these forums find the time to miss the improtant difference between fact and truth. What they put in their vid is exactly what's in their game. At this point concerning the features and gameplay of the game, there is absolutely nothing false about what they claimed vs what they are delivering in their betas.

Sadly, people would rather lie just because they don't like something or someone rather then be honest about it. Just like the nonsense of this whole thread, once again there's a thread claiming there's too much non-existant hype going on about a title that is being delivered as promised.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Each mmo that comes out will be revieuwed by haters and fanboys on forums.

Some hate

Some hype

Some love

Its a trend with each new mmo.

Tough i must admit, i can get hyped to, but after Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR i be very very cautious about buying my next one.

And GW2 is just good, ALOT better then all the previous mmo's that came out.

So a new hype a new mmo and new hate posts cycles on forums :P

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

And those are true..... And that's why the game has so much hype which isn't exactly hype but true excitement because it actually delivers what it promised. That's not a marketing trick at all. Now if you didn't see any of that then you were simply playing the game like any other grindy MMO out there. I saw all those, experienced all those and must say I loved every single moment of the game.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by IAmMMO

It comes from employed agents of influence whom infiltrate online MMO communities such as this sites posing as players, but act in the interest of one of the gaming corporations. These agents either hype titles of their employers or spread false negative impressions against rival companies games. The MMO pie a very contested mob.

Well that two. I wonder who I can get to hire me. Since I am on the skeptical side of any MMO, even those I like(Rift). Hey I like Rift more than most MMO, yet I was called a troll for criticizing it. Guess trolling lost its meanings.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Originally posted by UOvet

Barely any chatter on the GW2 forums. They all must be playing, and I believe I know what thread you are talking about regarding being bored. Just because 1 or 2 threads pop up doesn't mean the "hype", which was created by the playerbase isn't real.

This is actually the first time I've check these forums in over a day because I've been busy playing GW2.

I assume those who claim to be bored aren't in the beta weekend.

Anyway back to it, have fun.

^this.  Actually I have been posting and reading forums tho too.  Not for lack of interest in the beta,  but because I'm applying every ounce of willpower I have not to get too deep into the areas I want to keep fresh for launch.  I hope they bring out the Asura soon, I have no interest in playing them at all so can do a LOT of beta testing with them.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Now you remind I have to go back in instead of posting :D

Trolls can wait

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Manifesto is less about the features in GW2 and more about their vision and how they are going to change the MMO scene for ever. If you were less emotional about the game and company i would have a sensibile discussion with you but i don't see that is possible.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

This guy again... To your quote: I'm sorry..I didn't realize that developers couldn't say things early in the development stage and change it slightly as the dev process went on. Because that never happens with any other MMO's. Arenanet should be sued for malpractice and false advertising. /sarcasm = off. In a sense that quote is still true. You save a village and it stays saved....until its attacked again. What the quote means, really, is this.

In a traditional MMO you would walk up to a village, already on fire, get a quest to go kill 10 bandits in the midst of the chaos and come back for your reward. You, in theory, saved the village. Even though the village is sitll on fire and the people are still screaming for help, your quest is done and you are free to move on. Those poor villagers will just have to wait and hope that some other guy will come along to do the quest to alleviate their pain.

In guild wars 2 a farm comes under siege by bandits, you go to help, you effectively drive off the bandits, you look over your shoulder at the farm and all the farmers, they're cheering and thanking you endlessly. You look at the hay and its no longer on fire nor are there bandits respawing at random locations attacking the closest thing. You save a village, or farm, and it stays saved....until its attacked again, that is.

So no the quote isn't wrong. It's different now, yes, but not wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/permanent

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

money

Originally posted by itgrowls

hmmm actually and more importantly factually it does match. i find it fascinating that people on these forums find the time to miss the improtant difference between fact and truth. What they put in their vid is exactly what's in their game. At this point concerning the features and gameplay of the game, there is absolutely nothing false about what they claimed vs what they are delivering in their betas.

Sadly, people would rather lie just because they don't like something or someone rather then be honest about it. Just like the nonsense of this whole thread, once again there's a thread claiming there's too much non-existant hype going on about a title that is being delivered as promised.

Darkpony and MMOexposed explained it quite well with their posts and i don't want to repeat what they have already said.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Atlan99

i think what they are trying to get accross saying that is that things are permanant in the game like things are permanent in the real world, aka untill something comes along and changes them.

again what i took away the first time i watched this was that it stays rescued unlike other mmo's where it will reset for other players for no reason just poof like the world rewinded, instead of staying rescued untill something happens to change that (basicly the point of the video is that things happen with a bit more logic than your usual mmo and things wont just magicaly reset *for the most part spawns appearing out of nowhere above your head in a tree filled area is a bit reminiscant of such mechanisms but its bout as good as anything i can think of that wouldnt be a tad too much effort to attempt to pull off in a mmo*).

EDIT: these are the way i took what they said in the video based on the context of what they were saying when i first viewed it when they first introduced it. b4 all the betas and video evidence, as of yet i have not been disappointed by anything they have said.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Barely any chatter on the GW2 forums. They all must be playing, and I believe I know what thread you are talking about regarding being bored. Just because 1 or 2 threads pop up doesn't mean the "hype", which was created by the playerbase isn't real.

This is actually the first time I've check these forums in over a day because I've been busy playing GW2.

^this.  Actually I have been posting and reading forums tho too.  Not for lack of interest in the beta,  but because I'm applying every ounce of willpower I have not to get too deep into the areas I want to keep fresh for launch.  I hope they bring out the Asura soon, I have no interest in playing them at all so can do a LOT of beta testing with them.

Dont even come here right now.  Just enjoy your beta experience.  Since all the fans and pre purchasers are off playing the Beta the haters have taken it as a time to strike.  Ive been on the forums just long enough and often enough to take note of people.  And a lot of the people saying the game is lacking are the ones claiming so for weeks and months now with no evidence.

Now they are claiming they've played it.  Same people who said they werent interested and it was just going to be more of the same.  So I guess they pre purchased ( Ironic indeed) which I really dont think some of them did, and are taking this as an opportunity to say the game is......surprise surprise.......lacking.  Or boring.  Or grindy. 

Or all the same crap they've been spewing for months or weeks.  They just took it as an oppurtunity to do it in full force this time.  One started it up with a thread.  " Oh look!  SEE!  SEE!  Its lacking!  It doesnt live up to the hype! " then another jumps on the band wagon and starts another thread and its just been all day.  I have serious doubts half these people have even played the thing, but instead are just claiming too.  I know some concerns are valid, but this is just wild. 

Meanwhile they are free to bash it because most fans like yourself are playing the game and having a blast.  So enjoy it now guys.  Fans enjoy the game, people who dislike GW2 enjoy the forums.  Because both end on Monday.  All those GW2 players will come flooding back into the forums and you people wont enjoy the free hater aid you're sipping on in ease right now. 

Originally posted by Mothanos

Each mmo that comes out will be revieuwed by haters and fanboys on forums.Some hateSome hypeSome loveIts a trend with each new mmo. Tough i must admit, i can get hyped to, but after Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR i be very very cautious about buying my next one.And GW2 is just good, ALOT better then all the previous mmo's that came out. So a new hype a new mmo and new hate posts cycles on forums :P

Well now you see why I stay skeptical and on the critical side of any MMO, as you explained. Been burnt, and don't plan to be burnt again. So I avoid the fire. Use my shades to see pass the glossy hype that each new MMO get.

Remember, these companies have people that went to college to study in this major psychological field which we call "Marketing".

Trust me, these developers know how to mislead the masses without crossing the legal borders. Very interesting to observe actually. Try it some time. I made a self playing game out of it. Try it yourself. The next time a new MMO comes out, look at the ways the title is marketed. Note down each of the main things that come to mind durning the marketing. Keep watch of the public forums like this. Write down the names of those on the forum that seem suspiciously in favor of the Developer's interest, and follow their post and words.

Keep eye on fanforums as well. After the WarhammerAlliance conspiracy, I realized that developers do discuss the silencing of critics behind the scenes on those public fanforums. They want to silence all critisim.

Kinda fun to look into this kind of stuff in the media as well and other parts of your regular life. Guess I am a conspiracy theorist. Lmao

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    I guess all the full servers is the best argument you can say against any haters. It might not be the game for you, but it seems to be the game for helluva lots of people.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

So I log in this morning (Europe), and I see a guy with a huge Tera signature posting this.

I can't say I was surprised...

Wait for monday to get the impressions of those who are in BW2... for now, most if not all are way too busy to play to come post on these forums.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Corehaven

Dont even come here right now.  Just enjoy your beta experience.  Since all the fans and pre purchasers are off playing the Beta the haters have taken it as a time to strike.  Ive been on the forums just long enough and often enough to take note of people.  And a lot of the people saying the game is lacking are the ones claiming so for weeks and months now with no evidence.

Now they are claiming they've played it.  Same people who said they werent interested and it was just going to be more of the same.  So I guess they pre purchased ( Ironic indeed) which I really dont think some of them did, and are taking this as an opportunity to say the game is......surprise surprise.......lacking.  Or boring.  Or grindy. 

Or all the same crap they've been spewing for months or weeks.  They just took it as an oppurtunity to do it in full force this time.  One started it up with a thread.  " Oh look!  SEE!  SEE!  Its lacking!  It doesnt live up to the hype! " then another jumps on the band wagon and starts another thread and its just been all day.  I have serious doubts half these people have even played the thing, but instead are just claiming too.  I know some concerns are valid, but this is just wild. 

Meanwhile they are free to bash it because most fans like yourself are playing the game and having a blast.  So enjoy it now guys.  Fans enjoy the game, people who dislike GW2 enjoy the forums.  Because both end on Monday.  All those GW2 players will come flooding back into the forums and you people wont enjoy the free hater aid you're sipping on in ease right now. 

I had a deja vu  after reading this post....not so long ago you and your fellow 'haters' ' (as you eloquently stated) were doing the same on SWTOR, RIFT, Tera forums. Finally the other shoe has dropped. lol

Got to love how fast the role changes on these forums. ;)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Keep telling yourself all that. I've been in both beta weekends personally, and haven't preordered or prepurchased.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of me at the Moa mount vendor. Wait ... what?!