Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Where did the hype come from?

ForeverdreamForeverdream burkesville, KYPosts: 94Member

Don't want to crit you guys with a wall of txt so ill make this short and sweet

 

Ok, so i love guildwars(the first one) what strikes me as odd is Guild Wars never had that big of a player base, With GW2 on the way, i see A LOT of hype for this game, where did it come from?!  

 

New post popping up of people stating how they're bored etc with gw2 ( i know some are enjoying) but isnt this exactly why you shouldn't follow hype.   I almost want to laugh because people are SOO excited for this game yet ( many) other games have their unique things about them and some i'd say are far better.

«1345

Comments

  • Zook81Zook81 Salisbury, NCPosts: 96Member

    Its just the next "big thing" I guess. I was in the first beta and its pretty decent, but I don't really agree with the whole "the holy trinity is devil" mentality. I also don't think its as revoluntionary as it says it is (or maybe the fans are putting words into their mouths.) I think they're finally making a great MMO for people who like to solo, but that just doesn't interest me.

  • spizzspizz BlackForrestPosts: 2,587Member

    The reason is hope and manipulation.

    Hope from players to find a new game, a game which offers more satisfaction and fills the gap. Manpulations/PR from the market  which are boosting the hype for sales.

  • UOvetUOvet Fort Myers, FLPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

    Don't want to crit you guys with a wall of txt so ill make this short and sweet

     

    Ok, so i love guildwars(the first one) what strikes me as odd is Guild Wars never had that big of a player base, With GW2 on the way, i see A LOT of hype for this game, where did it come from?!  

     

    New post popping up of people stating how they're bored etc with gw2 ( i know some are enjoying) but isnt this exactly why you shouldn't follow hype.   I almost want to laugh because people are SOO excited for this game yet ( many) other games have their unique things about them and some i'd say are far better.

    Barely any chatter on the GW2 forums. They all must be playing, and I believe I know what thread you are talking about regarding being bored. Just because 1 or 2 threads pop up doesn't mean the "hype", which was created by the playerbase isn't real.

     

    It wasn't manipulation or PR marketing as someone suggested. I don't remember seeing any Guild Wars 2 commercials. I remember seeing a ton of Beta videos, not CGI trailers for the most part (hi SWTOR).

  • yewsefyewsef KuwaitPosts: 335Member

     

    I never understood "what" makes GW2 that exciting... most of the time the answers are vague or things that I don't care for.

     

    "Dynamic Events!"

    "No Class Roles!"

     

    I played the game in beta, I was collecting eggs. The game is too gamish for my taste. Just like entering a kids event with many things going on in the park. You want to play the slide? go there, you want to join those people hitting the pinhiata? go here...

     

    There's no sense of world or a point to play the game. It's just a "dynamic event!" park.

    Too many colors in the UI and too many information on the screen. A lot of distractions which prevents me from believing I am in a world, I am again in a place where they are too afraid to let me alone they bombard me with bazillion pointers and points-of-interest in the mini-map, map and UI.

     

    A lot of colors mixed in makes it look and feel like a game.

    I still can't figure out why GW2 THAT good. Everyone asking me to read about it, know more about it... I did, I don't understand. I played it, still I think it's boring.

     

    I guess one thing I'm happy about, my expectations were met.

     

  • VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member

    GW2 hype had nothing to do with the first GW, from what I could tell.  It wasn't about IP, or developer, although I think most people consider Anet to be relatively competent, at least.  

     

    Seemed to me that most of the hype came from the info and media released about the game, and people's experiences with it at conventions and such.  Lot of people simply liked what they saw, and it spread from there.  Compare that to other recent MMOs where impressions have been more mixed, consider how hype crazy people tend to be anyhow, and it's pretty easy to see how that would snowball.

    When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    GW1 was huge simply because it was the first F2P game (past the box price) that people could agree with. Every single person I knew in RL that played it, when asked, would state "I play it because it's free". The game was boring as hell to me, and according to them, it was as well. They played simply because of the "value", and GW2 poses to pass the crown down from it, though, in the face of a greater F2P market that doesn't have box price as a barrier to entry.

    Bet your ass most people buying it *have* played GW1, and if you think GW1 didn't have a big population - you're high. There's tons of channels, each overflowing in just about any major hub area... just, maybe not so much anymore. Years ago, though, yes it was.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member

    Thats because its not hype, its real.

    If it were hype, there would be fewer gameplay videos, and no BWEs without NDA. The dev team has provided proof that thier game is good, where most of the other devs keep it a secret until launch. How many times have we see that, recently there has been, SWTOR, D3 and TERA, and probably more.

    Why is it so hard to believe that GW2 is a quality game??

    image
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Renton, WAPosts: 819Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

    Don't want to crit you guys with a wall of txt so ill make this short and sweet

     

    Ok, so i love guildwars(the first one) what strikes me as odd is Guild Wars never had that big of a player base, With GW2 on the way, i see A LOT of hype for this game, where did it come from?!  

     

    New post popping up of people stating how they're bored etc with gw2 ( i know some are enjoying) but isnt this exactly why you shouldn't follow hype.   I almost want to laugh because people are SOO excited for this game yet ( many) other games have their unique things about them and some i'd say are far better.

    image  Ok, this is entirely off-topic, but I just have to say, I think your TERA sig is outstanding!

  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Somewhere, NCPosts: 1,582Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zook81

    Its just the next "big thing" I guess. I was in the first beta and its pretty decent, but I don't really agree with the whole "the holy trinity is devil" mentality. I also don't think its as revoluntionary as it says it is (or maybe the fans are putting words into their mouths.) I think they're finally making a great MMO for people who like to solo, but that just doesn't interest me.

     

    Mostly this. The MMORPG hype bandwagon is cyclical. A new game is announced, people treat it as the second coming, it gets released, and hordes of people are horribly disappointed because it doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype generated around it.

     

    We've seen this with Warhammer, Aion, FFXIV, SWTOR, etc, etc. I will be massively, massively surprised if GW2 doesn't follow the same cycle.

    <3

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

    We've seen this with Warhammer, Aion, FFXIV, SWTOR, etc, etc. I will be massively, massively surprised if GW2 doesn't follow the same cycle.

    Yep, but at least all "I have unsubbed" threads will be met with "how do you unsub to that which has no sub".

    Essentially, it's a smart financial method for the current climate. Everything else is being made simply to milk subs for the first year or so, and then convert to F2P. It's a terrible practice.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • IrusIrus Wichita, KSPosts: 774Member

    GW1 has a pretty big playerbase, actually.

    GW2 gained hype because it's not cloning WoW.

  • PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by Zook81

    Its just the next "big thing" I guess. I was in the first beta and its pretty decent, but I don't really agree with the whole "the holy trinity is devil" mentality. I also don't think its as revoluntionary as it says it is (or maybe the fans are putting words into their mouths.) I think they're finally making a great MMO for people who like to solo, but that just doesn't interest me.

     

    Mostly this. The MMORPG hype bandwagon is cyclical. A new game is announced, people treat it as the second coming, it gets released, and hordes of people are horribly disappointed because it doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype generated around it.

     

    We've seen this with Warhammer, Aion, FFXIV, SWTOR, etc, etc. I will be massively, massively surprised if GW2 doesn't follow the same cycle.

     TESO will be the next one to fall victim, at first people will be slightly skeptical and then everyone will be more and more interested(we're already seeing this) then they'll start releasing DEV talks and some CGI videos and people will start drooling then it will release and 2 months later the talk about the game will be dead or mostly negative.

     

    It happens time and time again and will happen with every MMO for the rest of forever because most gamers aren't looking for a long lasting MMO, they just hop from game to game.

    image

  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor AdelaidePosts: 549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by UOvet

    Barely any chatter on the GW2 forums. They all must be playing, and I believe I know what thread you are talking about regarding being bored. Just because 1 or 2 threads pop up doesn't mean the "hype", which was created by the playerbase isn't real.

    This is actually the first time I've check these forums in over a day because I've been busy playing GW2.

    I assume those who claim to be bored aren't in the beta weekend.

    Anyway back to it, have fun.

    The Enlightened take things Lightly

  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon

    I think GW2 will do very well, yeah there is some imaginary hype floating around. But overall, I'm reminded of Rift. Not because they're similar in style or gameplay, but in terms of quality and delivering on the majority of pre-release promises.

    Hype really hurts when the company fails to deliver the goods as advertised. See SWTOR, it's a broken mess and it's crashing and burning faster than anything before it. Rift, on the other hand, appears to be doing well; Trion has done a good job and has earned the respect of many gamers even if they aren't currently playing Rift.

    GW2 plays well, and matches up closely to it's mission statement. It's still not going to be the end all be all, but for a B2P MMO, it's really good value.

  • LizardKing89LizardKing89 Ft Wayne, INPosts: 53Member
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by Zook81

    Its just the next "big thing" I guess. I was in the first beta and its pretty decent, but I don't really agree with the whole "the holy trinity is devil" mentality. I also don't think its as revoluntionary as it says it is (or maybe the fans are putting words into their mouths.) I think they're finally making a great MMO for people who like to solo, but that just doesn't interest me.

     

    Mostly this. The MMORPG hype bandwagon is cyclical. A new game is announced, people treat it as the second coming, it gets released, and hordes of people are horribly disappointed because it doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype generated around it.

     

    We've seen this with Warhammer, Aion, FFXIV, SWTOR, etc, etc. I will be massively, massively surprised if GW2 doesn't follow the same cycle.

    Exactly and I'm not sold on any mmo coming out anymore.  Maybe I'm just tired of the genre but these games get overhyped and end up a disappointment.  I hope for he genre GW2 does do well because there are too many mediocre games out there now and MMO's are stuck in a rut always trying to copy wow.  I want something new not the same old themepark garbage we've been getting the last few years.

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon

    GW2 is doing a million things right, that tends to attract people.

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    I think their communication / marketing strategy and the game's corporate identity has been beyond top notch.

    Their manifesto vid stood out for me. It's probably best sales pitch ever made in this industry. It's virtually impossible to not be moved by it.

  • CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

    The hype came from game play videos, demos, revealing of features etc.  Stuff sounded really good and looked good too. 

     

    As for those claiming they are dissapointed Im sure some are.  Yet with some of these posters (not all mind you) I've seen them rail against GW2 for weeks or months without having played it, and now they've played it.  Same folks saying they'd never touch it.  I dont think some of them have but are claiming to have. 

     

    Meanwhile there were actual problems with past betas yet I didnt see hardly any negative threads on the game itself.  Just some complaints about the lag (but most conceded it was beta), while at the same time those complaining said the game seemed awesome. 

     

    I honestly cant figure why there's been several threads today saying the game isnt all that great.  However reading the threads half the posts are people saying they love it too.  From reading those posts, along with the ones saying the game isnt all that amazing, I get the feeling that :

     

    A)  They havent actually played it.  They're just trolling GW2. 

     

    Or more likely B)  They went into GW2 bound and determined not to like it.  Or with a mission to find something not to like so they could come back here and complain about it. 

     

    Its all been " Dynamic Events stink" and " PVP sucks" while the other half of the posts are saying exactly the opposite.  Ive seen game play of both and it looks great to me.  Maybe some of these people complaining are so used to the standard mmo formula they cant adjust and havent figured out how to enjoy GW2 as it doesnt quite have the typical mmo structure. 

     

    And while I may not know much, I do know if you go into GW2 expecting it to play like every other mmo you've played, and expect those same mechanics, you are doing it wrong.  You will not enjoy it.  It doesnt work that way this time. 

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    It has been long since I had so much fun with PVE in a MMO. This weekend when successfully kiting a train of shadows and aatxes during the fight against the Behemoth something boss while destroying the portals and others were ressing the fallen players was plain awesome. The control that GW2 gives me over combat is something I'm not used to see in a MMO.

    On a sidenote : It was also the first time I only played ranged (rifle/longbow) as warrior lol. No way I would've stayed alive this much with the 2hnd sword/hammer (my other favourite weapons). But fortunately those melee weapons can be devastating in PVP. But I love how every class has weapon choices that are actually more efficient in certain situations.

    I'm not much for hype usually. Especially not built up from marketing or CGI vids. And even though the devs in interviews mentioned everything I wanted to hear I still had to see some gameplay.  It was the beta footage I saw from the press beta that got me really excited.

  • crysentcrysent cedar rapids, IAPosts: 837Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

    Don't want to crit you guys with a wall of txt so ill make this short and sweet

     

    Ok, so i love guildwars(the first one) what strikes me as odd is Guild Wars never had that big of a player base, With GW2 on the way, i see A LOT of hype for this game, where did it come from?!  

     

    New post popping up of people stating how they're bored etc with gw2 ( i know some are enjoying) but isnt this exactly why you shouldn't follow hype.   I almost want to laugh because people are SOO excited for this game yet ( many) other games have their unique things about them and some i'd say are far better.

    Of course who likes which games is purely relative to that player.

    That said, the hype comes and goes from this very website and others similar to it.  If you hang out in this community you find that hype starts and ends here.  If you don't hang out on this community you will see that hype for GW2 (and most mmos for that matter to be relativley tame)

  • LytheRageLytheRage Roebuck, SCPosts: 12Member

    Not sure I've ever heard the argument that there's TOO much to do in an MMO.  Yes there is a lot going on at times but then again most of the population is in the same starting areas so you see a lot of traffic.  However, if you go off the beaten path you will find that you can lose yourself in the world.  There are tons of little details in the visuals and sounds that make it a nice world to explore.

    Yeah there are a lot of DEs (again not sure why having a lot of things to choose from is somehow bad) but you do not have to stop and do every one of them.  At least it makes the world feel alive.  Go explore one of the major cities.  One of the neatest things I've done so far is explore Lion's Arch...swimming amongst the fish, finding a secret entrance to the sewers, walking to the top of hills and cliffs so I could dive in the water. 

    Meanwhile there's birds flying around, NPCs chattering, giant teapost sprinklers watering farmland, clouds passing by, non-aggressive fauna walking around, birds chirping, etc.  There IS a world there to enjoy you just gotta go out and explore it.  The way the world connects to the lore of the two Guild Wars novels is very cool as well.  Read the Wiki about the Elder Dragons and tell me the Sylvari are not an interesting race as well.  You get what you put into it.

    Oh and the conveniences!  No cooldown on fast travel, mail from anywhere, post on the Trade Post from anywhere, new toons auto-added to your guild, a comprehensive guild list that shows profession, crafting choices, levels of crafting, area, your account name and so on, VERY speedy crafting progress bars (forget sitting there for 10 mintues while you make 50 bronze ingots; it happens in about 15 seconds). 

    Arenanet has put a lot of thought into building this game and has removed SOO much of what can make MMOs tedious.  I appreciate that and it's why playing an MMO with quest chains and arbitrary time sinks no longer appeals to me.  GW2 has ruined me in a good way because it does so much right...and I don't have to pay for it each month, so I can come and go as I please.  The gameplay and the businees model make you feel free to do as you wish.  And that is powerful.

    And TOO colorful?  I'd rather it not be all brown thank you very much. 

    Too gamey?  Ok...no idea how to address that.

    I was in BWE1 and loving BWE2 (played all day and tried crafting for the first time).  I gave examples above so you know I am actually playing.

    So many of these comments seem speculative and pre-biased without concrete examples.  The game is FUN and it does NOT encourage soloing.  It's fun to group and help strangers and the Map Chat is FULL of people talking and asking questions and giving advice.

    Again, it's FUN.  That's what a game is all about.

  • IsawaIsawa Middle 0 Nowhere, ORPosts: 1,051Member
    Originally posted by yewsef

    I played the game in beta, I was collecting eggs. The game is too gamish for my taste. Just like entering a kids event with many things going on in the park. You want to play the slide? go there, you want to join those people hitting the pinhiata? go here...

    There's no sense of world or a point to play the game. It's just a "dynamic event!" park.

    If you collected eggs, you most likely chose to collect the eggs out of 2-3 other options. Lots of the <3 quests give 3-4 differant methods that build up the completion bar. No sense of a world or a point? Doesn't sound like you played for long anyways...

     

  • LytheRageLytheRage Roebuck, SCPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by eluldor
    Originally posted by yewsef

    I played the game in beta, I was collecting eggs. The game is too gamish for my taste. Just like entering a kids event with many things going on in the park. You want to play the slide? go there, you want to join those people hitting the pinhiata? go here...

    There's no sense of world or a point to play the game. It's just a "dynamic event!" park.

    If you collected eggs, you most likely chose to collect the eggs out of 2-3 other options. Lots of the <3 quests give 3-4 differant methods that build up the completion bar. No sense of a world or a point? Doesn't sound like you played for long anyways...

     

    Yeah heaven forbid we feel like kids again. 

    Try listening to or speaking to the NPCs.  The DEs connect and tell you about Tyria and the lore.  Again, you get what you put into it.

    As for eggs...sounds like the Norn area.  You could have also destroyed some nests, killed some mobs and rezzed some acolytes to finish that DE.

    If only you had waited you could have participated in a subsequent event where you got to solve riddles along a mountain path.

    Or a level or two where you have to collect rabbit food but rabbits come out and steal it from you unless you or other players helping you scare them off.

    Or the NPC chasing down a jackolope...

    Go stand outside Divinity's Reach or on the Shiverpeak Mountains or at the Great Wall of Ascalon and tell me there's no world...pfft you've no idea what you're talking about.

  • NovendarNovendar Montreal, QCPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by LytheRage

    Not sure I've ever heard the argument that there's TOO much to do in an MMO.  Yes there is a lot going on at times but then again most of the population is in the same starting areas so you see a lot of traffic.  However, if you go off the beaten path you will find that you can lose yourself in the world.  There are tons of little details in the visuals and sounds that make it a nice world to explore.

    Yeah there are a lot of DEs (again not sure why having a lot of things to choose from is somehow bad) but you do not have to stop and do every one of them.  At least it makes the world feel alive.  Go explore one of the major cities.  One of the neatest things I've done so far is explore Lion's Arch...swimming amongst the fish, finding a secret entrance to the sewers, walking to the top of hills and cliffs so I could dive in the water. 

    Meanwhile there's birds flying around, NPCs chattering, giant teapost sprinklers watering farmland, clouds passing by, non-aggressive fauna walking around, birds chirping, etc.  There IS a world there to enjoy you just gotta go out and explore it.  The way the world connects to the lore of the two Guild Wars novels is very cool as well.  Read the Wiki about the Elder Dragons and tell me the Sylvari are not an interesting race as well.  You get what you put into it.

    Oh and the conveniences!  No cooldown on fast travel, mail from anywhere, post on the Trade Post from anywhere, new toons auto-added to your guild, a comprehensive guild list that shows profession, crafting choices, levels of crafting, area, your account name and so on, VERY speedy crafting progress bars (forget sitting there for 10 mintues while you make 50 bronze ingots; it happens in about 15 seconds). 

    Arenanet has put a lot of thought into building this game and has removed SOO much of what can make MMOs tedious.  I appreciate that and it's why playing an MMO with quest chains and arbitrary time sinks no longer appeals to me.  GW2 has ruined me in a good way because it does so much right...and I don't have to pay for it each month, so I can come and go as I please.  The gameplay and the businees model make you feel free to do as you wish.  And that is powerful.

    And TOO colorful?  I'd rather it not be all brown thank you very much. 

    Too gamey?  Ok...no idea how to address that.

    I was in BWE1 and loving BWE2 (played all day and tried crafting for the first time).  I gave examples above so you know I am actually playing.

    So many of these comments seem speculative and pre-biased without concrete examples.  The game is FUN and it does NOT encourage soloing.  It's fun to group and help strangers and the Map Chat is FULL of people talking and asking questions and giving advice.

    Again, it's FUN.  That's what a game is all about.

    I don't think I could of made a better post myself. The game not only feels alive, it feels like it's bending over backward to make players happy and do what they want.

    My only concerns with the game are:

    A) How ridiculously dangerous melee combat is in PvE. I play a warrior and I get my ass handed to me all the time if I happen upon one too many mob at a time.

    B) Having a group of mob spawn on you while you are alone and tear you a new one before you can react.

    Mind you, the first thing makes melee combat A LOT more exciting than in any other MMO. And the second one makes damn sure you want to stay around your buddies, new or old. Both things can cause frustration but they are also another reason why the game feels like a living and breathing world.

    I honestly did not like the first Guild Wars at all but the second one has me gasping at the scenery and go wide eyed at the awesone events ArenaNet can throw at us even from the start of the game.

    Novendar, Officer of Risen
    Apply today to raid on Corecraft with us!

  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 LondonPosts: 511Member
    Originally posted by DarkPony

    I think their communication / marketing strategy and the game's corporate identity has been beyond top notch.

    Their manifesto vid stood out for me. It's probably best sales pitch ever made in this industry. It's virtually impossible to not be moved by it.

    Yep...sadly the game doesn't match their manifesto video.

«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.