Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 Girl's Opinion on Modern FPS games (Console & Pc)

Comments

• MotokoHuttMotokoHutt Member Posts: 49

ty for taking back the Troll thing zytin

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I also think the term "dyslexia" is being misconstrued(edit) as much as ADD, or OCD...

It used to mean, literally, reversed-vision. I tend to type 'ot' instead of 'to', but it's more of an issue with muscle-memory. Typing 'wear' instead of 'where' is as much an issue with being accustomed to doing so as that.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I didnt read the entire thread so pardon me if Im repeating what someone else has already brought to your attention.

Taken from various, very easily googled sites. I mentioned very easily, because so many casual statements in this here thread, claimed the opposite offhandedly, in a striking display of ignorance gone completely unnoticed by the poster. - There is a difference between being kinda sure about what you're saying, and admitting to yourself that maybe you're not up to date on the information out there, And then outright claiming that something is so.

At the time of the Persian Gulf War, Operations Desert Shield and Storm (1990-1991) involved more women in the military than any other conflict in the history of the U.S. Over 40,000 women were deployed; 15 were killed and two were captured and held by Iraqi forces. Almost every military unit included U.S. servicewomen, and old restrictions that had banned servicewomen from combat aircraft and vessels were later lifted as women proved themselves capable.

In 2008, according to the Department of Defense, women made up 11% of the military force in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past six years; CNN estimated it at 180,000 women in the war zone -- more than four times the number of women who served in the Persian Gulf War.

Unlike previous conflicts, this time women are serving in combat support roles and are experiencing violence firsthand. Rape, assault, and sexual harassment by superiors and other service men also compound the stress faced by women in the military.

In WW2 More than 1,000 women served as pilots associated with the US Air Force in the WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots) but were considered civil service workers, and weren't recognized for their military service until the 1970s. Britain and the Soviet Union also used significant numbers of women pilots to support their air force.

• MotokoHuttMotokoHutt Member Posts: 49

all in all I think this whole thing has just been a huge waist of my time, I only managed to get a few good pieces of feed back & the rest if just me being bullied by people who feel the need to self Gratify by putting others down.

I think in the Future I will not post a Thread on this site again, I may reply to others but that will be all & I dont think I will even bother to read if people have replied to my comment, maybe I should just start a Blog & post on there as then atleast I dont have to put up with peoples need to be abusive toward me, maybe its the fact that I am a Women and you all seem to find most of my opinions as unworthy (especially toward female Models) or wether were I come from & are slang talk is just not posh enough for all those with High Spelling & Grammer standards, I will just say 1 final thing & that is I have yet to here 1 other female comment on this which was greatly dissapointing.

PS: I will nto be replying anymore so there is no point in replying to what I have just posted.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by GTwander

I also think the term "dyslexia" is being construed as much as ADD, or OCD...

It used to mean, literally, reversed-vision. I tend to type 'ot' instead of 'to', but it's more of an issue with muscle-memory. Typing 'wear' instead of 'where' is as much an issue with being accustomed to doing so as that.

I imagine this thread will be locked soon. The origninal conversation has been left behind in a dusty cloud of spelling corrections and definition debates. Right or wrong at this point does not matter. This thread has devolved into bullying on mulitple levels, even subtle jabs can't be restrained.

• mmosftl.commmosftl.com Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by MotokoHutt

all in all I think this whole thing has just been a huge waist of my time, I only managed to get a few good pieces of feed back & the rest if just me being bullied by people who feel the need to self Gratify by putting others down.

I think in the Future I will not post a Thread on this site again, I may reply to others but that will be all & I dont think I will even bother to read if people have replied to my comment, maybe I should just start a Blog & post on there as then atleast I dont have to put up with peoples need to be abusive toward me, maybe its the fact that I am a Women and you all seem to find most of my opinions as unworthy (especially toward female Models) or wether were I come from & are slang talk is just not posh enough for all those with High Spelling & Grammer standards, I will just say 1 final thing & that is I have yet to here 1 other female comment on this which was greatly dissapointing.

PS: I will nto be replying anymore so there is no point in replying to what I have just posted.

dude, why are you guys all giving her a bad time? who gives a fuck if she doesn't spell right or anything. she just wanted to make a post and it shows that this dumb ass forum is full of elitists and trolls. i rarely make any posts but when i do, whether in jest or critisism there are ppl who trample on shit.  let her say what she wants and respond accordingly...if you were smart enough, you would know what she meant and help her along the way like ppl should do irl.  the only reason i see ppl talking shit and trolling is because they are trying to show everyone that they are superior than anyone else, and to me, you look way ignorant and dumb. grow a pair and man up. help ppl, not hash them.

• mmosftl.commmosftl.com Member Posts: 21

I also think the term "dyslexia" is being misconstrued(edit) as much as ADD, or OCD...

you know what dude? you are a straight ass. who gives a fuck what your trolling has to contribute. take my whole issue with capitilization and punctuation...or anyone elses straight to my private message and we will talk from there. 

Originally posted by matthewearl

you know what dude? you are a straight ass. who gives a fuck what your trolling has to contribute. take my whole issue with capitilization and punctuation...or anyone elses straight to my private message and we will talk from there. 

I actually meant that as something a bit more helpful, so that a person doesn't go through their life actually thinking they were dyslexic. If someone diagnosed her as such, I'd kick his ass.

Plus, you need to read an entire thread before you assume one side of it is picking on the other.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I'd kick his ass.

"Their" - equal opportunities and all that. :P

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

I'd kick his ass.

"Their" - equal opportunities and all that.

See? Thank God some people still have a sense of humor about things.

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

and GT wasnt teh won piking on here....

Originally posted by zytin

Doesn't matter, people only read the last 3-4 replies anyway,

~and you totally messed up a couple words in that statement...

...wat

To the OP:
    I'm confused about this thread, You:

1. Don't want a conclusion to the topic, and that's fine.
    2. You want people to express their opinions but rebuttal them in an argumentative fashion?
    2.You don't care to put other peoples advice into practice in regards to games?.

So to me this comes off as a very trollish post: Troll - to invoke an emotional response from a reader.

In regards to your spelling, i'm the worst speller in the world but extensive checking of your text can help minimise spelling errors. However, Blaming it on the English-American dictionary discrepancies was bad idea, I'm Australian and use the English dictionary mostly, And some of your grammar is just plain wrong.
    If it was a medical issue then you should of just come straight out and said it. you would retain your identity, so its not like you would persecuted in "real-life"

Finally: You did not need to report people. you should just said "thank you for your input" and left it at that, But you kept baiting so technically you could be reported for that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

...wat

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I am reely dissapointed with awl of you hear. 

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

I am reely dissapointed with awl of you hear. 

Originally posted by MotokoHutt all in all I think this whole thing has just been a huge waist of my time, I only managed to get a few good pieces of feed back & the rest if just me being bullied by people who feel the need to self Gratify by putting others down.   I think in the Future I will not post a Thread on this site again, I may reply to others but that will be all & I dont think I will even bother to read if people have replied to my comment, maybe I should just start a Blog & post on there as then atleast I dont have to put up with peoples need to be abusive toward me, maybe its the fact that I am a Women and you all seem to find most of my opinions as unworthy (especially toward female Models) or wether were I come from & are slang talk is just not posh enough for all those with High Spelling & Grammer standards, I will just say 1 final thing & that is I have yet to here 1 other female comment on this which was greatly dissapointing.   PS: I will nto be replying anymore so there is no point in replying to what I have just posted.
    dude, why are you guys all giving her a bad time? who gives a fuck if she doesn't spell right or anything. she just wanted to make a post and it shows that this dumb ass forum is full of elitists and trolls. i rarely make any posts but when i do, whether in jest or critisism there are ppl who trample on shit.  let her say what she wants and respond accordingly...if you were smart enough, you would know what she meant and help her along the way like ppl should do irl.  the only reason i see ppl talking shit and trolling is because they are trying to show everyone that they are superior than anyone else, and to me, you look way ignorant and dumb. grow a pair and man up. help ppl, not hash them.

She wrote an essay on a topic.

Didn't want any feedback, suggestions, or help.

And if you did respond, it was retorted in right or wrong fashon.

How exactly do we help her?

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by MotokoHutt all in all I think this whole thing has just been a huge waist of my time, I only managed to get a few good pieces of feed back & the rest if just me being bullied by people who feel the need to self Gratify by putting others down.   I think in the Future I will not post a Thread on this site again, I may reply to others but that will be all & I dont think I will even bother to read if people have replied to my comment, maybe I should just start a Blog & post on there as then atleast I dont have to put up with peoples need to be abusive toward me, maybe its the fact that I am a Women and you all seem to find most of my opinions as unworthy (especially toward female Models) or wether were I come from & are slang talk is just not posh enough for all those with High Spelling & Grammer standards, I will just say 1 final thing & that is I have yet to here 1 other female comment on this which was greatly dissapointing.   PS: I will nto be replying anymore so there is no point in replying to what I have just posted.

She wrote an essay on a topic.

Didn't want any feedback, suggestions, or help.

And if you did respond, it was retorted in right or wrong fashon.

How exactly do we help her?

She very specifically stated that she did not make this topic for help.  It was very unclear why she made the post except that perhaps she was looking to have a discussion about how great her ideas are, in which case it wasn't really a discussion she was looking for, but a proverbial circle jerk, or she just wanted to be flamed so she could argue with someone.  If female characters were put into FPS combat sims, would they have reduced stamina and an inability to run as far and carry as much for as long as the male characters...Like how it is in real life in the military?  

If female characters were put into FPS combat sims, would they have reduced stamina and an inability to run as far and carry as much for as long as the male characters...Like how it is in real life in the military? 

I am extremely tempted to crack a sexist joke about how women in the military are akin to the straight guy that joins the cheerleaders in high school... but that would make *me* that bad guy....

~but yeah, this was a thread meant for venting, not for discussion.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

On the point of a reticle in game, I find it helpful, even necessary because a game lacks the feedback of shooting a rifle in real life.

While shooting (in RL) I'm more aware of my surroundings, the distance, height, wind resistance, sound, so much sensory input that I can instinctively hit the target with little thought. The reticle, crosshairs, iron sight, laser sight, red dot, etc in essence simulate this real life feedback.

In a game, I don't get any of that feedback that helps improve my shot. That is why I prefer the reticle (or some kind of sighting) in a game. Removing it doesn't make the game realistic. They can be realistic to a point, but really, without that feedback and just staring at a computer screen using a mouse, it is just not the same.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636
    If female characters were put into FPS combat sims, would they have reduced stamina and an inability to run as far and carry as much for as long as the male characters...Like how it is in real life in the military?  

No no no... They'd only have to perform 60% of the objectives for mission completion.  That's how gender equality works.

Well, see you guys in 14 days I guess.

Originally posted by Vynt

On the point of a reticle in game, I find it helpful, even necessary because a game lacks the feedback of shooting a rifle in real life.

While shooting (in RL) I'm more aware of my surroundings, the distance, height, wind resistance, sound, so much sensory input that I can instinctively hit the target with little thought. The reticle, crosshairs, iron sight, laser sight, red dot, etc in essence simulate this real life feedback.

In a game, I don't get any of that feedback that helps improve my shot. That is why I prefer the reticle (or some kind of sighting) in a game. Removing it doesn't make the game realistic. They can be realistic to a point, but really, without that feedback and just staring at a computer screen using a mouse, it is just not the same.

Windage, distance, adjusting your sites, et. al. is something that I would expect in a sniper game, or a hunting game, where the focus of the game is on hitting a target from long distance.  If I looked at FPS's as military simulators, I wouldn't much care for them either, because they aren't simulating anything.  They're just games.  Heck, if you wanted that much realism, there's this thing they have here in America called paint ball....Or laser tag.  

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

So did I miss where the OP stated her military experience? I say that because the one thing that irritates me to no end is when people, specifically gamers, start chattering about how some combat game isn't realistic. Hello? Have you been in actual combat?  Some of us have and some of us have lost close friends/relatives in it.

Now, talking about how you think a combat FPS would be more fun for you is cool. But lose the "more real" bit. You have no idea what it feels like to have bullets whizzing by your head, or having the explosion of a mortar round lifting you into the air like a sack of beans. Indeed seeing such talk is as offensive if not more so (to many of us who have been in combat as it can be percieved as trivializing the DEATHS of our buddies) than being picked on due to a disability.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Vynt

Windage, distance, adjusting your sites, et. al. is something that I would expect in a sniper game, or a hunting game, where the focus of the game is on hitting a target from long distance.  If I looked at FPS's as military simulators, I wouldn't much care for them either, because they aren't simulating anything.  They're just games.  Heck, if you wanted that much realism, there's this thing they have here in America called paint ball....Or laser tag.  

I wasn't saying I wanted realism, was trying to say that trying to obtain a lot of realism in a shooter is silly, especially if one thinks removing the reticle will get you there. Not really much for simulators myself either. I just don't like having a blank screen , firing in sort of a guesstimation type feel. Some kind of reticle seems to add a bit of depth to the gameplay for me, which in a way sort of simulates feedback one gets in rl.

I agree they're just games, I actually wrote that originally, but removed it and a few sentences I had with it because it sounded a bit pretentious, hehe.

This discussion has been closed.