Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay is boring and repetitive

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Played about 3 hours of it today and I must say I really got bored. Event upon event upon event and it repeats itself through out the entire game. It is like they took WoW quests and changed them into scripted events, how dull. You do the same thing over and over again. They need to make events more exciting. Event bosses are boring as hell, they just stand there and spew things out at you. I wouldn't exactly call that exciting. Long time fan here but I'm afraid ArenaNet has dropped the ball on this one. Never thought I would see that happen. Graphics are nice but graphics alone do not make a good mmo. Perhaps I'll check out Dust 514 or Planetside 2. I think I am done with the basic fantasy mmo with a twist. These types of mmos have been done before time and time again.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Over 7 hours in today. Over 45 hours in before today. Not bored. Loving the game. Smooth beta so far. Very impressed. Looking good for launch soon.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Mephster

Played about 3 hours of it today and I must say I really got bored. Event upon event upon event and it repeats itself through out the entire game. It is like they took WoW quests and changed them into scripted events, how dull. You do the same thing over and over again. They need to make events more exciting. Event bosses are boring as hell, they just stand there and spew things out at you. I wouldn't exactly call that exciting. Long time fan here but I'm afraid ArenaNet has dropped the ball on this one. Never thought I would see that happen. Graphics are nice but graphics alone do not make a good mmo. Perhaps I'll check out Dust 514 or Planetside 2. I think I am done with the basic fantasy mmo with a twist. These types of mmos have been done before time and time again.

i assume your still in the 1-10 areas since you said 3 hours in... that area is basically a tutorial to help you get used to the gameplay.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

by the sounds of it OP you're more of an fps fan.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It just really isn't exciting at all. Loved Guild Wars 1 but this is not cutting it. The dodge and roll combat is like console gameplay slapped onto a pc. Meele is still severely broken. When you solo anything more than 2 mobs at you are dead as meele.  Overall I think this game was meant for the younger generation of players, you know the ones who are just starting out. ArenaNet seems to be catering to the younger crowd. They want to make simple easy games for the casuals. I need something more intense, more mature themed to keep me interested. 

• MordenMorden Member Posts: 36

I love the game. But must agree I wish there where more Sci/fi or 100 other type of MMOs instead of the Fantasy cut and past.

It just really isn't exciting at all. Loved Guild Wars 1 but this is not cutting it. The dodge and roll combat is like console gameplay slapped onto a pc. Meele is still severely broken. When you solo anything more than 2 mobs at you are dead as meele.  Overall I think this game was meant for the younger generation of players, you know the ones who are just starting out. ArenaNet seems to be catering to the younger crowd. They want to make simple easy games for the casuals. I need something more intense, more mature themed to keep me interested. 

again did you not pass the starter zones?  i mean 3 hours doesn't get you anywhere in this game I spent 3 hours wandering around the main city

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Morden

I love the game. But must agree I wish there where more Sci/fi or 100 other type of MMOs instead of the Fantasy cut and past.

trions next one defiance looks pretty damn good

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Already have several characers above the starting areas frm prior betas. Since the beta weekend started today I only played 3 hours today.

Already have several characers above the starting areas frm prior betas. Since the beta weekend started today I only played 3 hours today.

sounds like you are just tired of these MMOs.. I can't think of one MMO out their that does questing as interesting as GW2 and if you find it boring none of the others are going to peak your interest.. lots of new games on the horizon though...

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Yeh, you're right. It is repetative. It takes far too long to get to a dungeon. Events are over too quickly and the rewards, although quite rewarding if you search around karma merchants, just don't feel very rewarding when you finish an event. The only mob I've found in the game that has good mechanics is the gold Oakheart one that spawns healing pods and minions. It, the game, does seem very generic after a while and almost 100% predictable.

Tell you summat else as well.. I'm sick to death of centaurs and bandits. The human areas 1-25 need more variety... I know there is 'some' variety but it seems largely dominated with those two types for the major and most frequent events. I get it's a lore thing but I wish they'd push that lore our way ingame a little more so we can appreciate it without external reading. I've read the books but I still feel the game itself is doing a poor job of getting the lore across.

Saying that though, they have an excellent foundation to work with. The only way is up and they will hopefully get there before release. I'm certain they will nail it no matter what in the end (before or after launch).

One thing I want to see is the simple addition of zone achievements (that don't give anything away; maybe labeled as 'unknown') to encourage people to explore them properly and/or revisit them. Not just POIs and waypoints, things like beating certain named mobs or talking to certain NPCs or following an event line all the way through to the end. Right now it feels like we are supposed to aim for 100% area map completion and then move on. Unless a player naturally enjoys random exploration for the sake of exploration, there just doesn't seem to be any real reason to stay in a zone after map completion.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"These types of mmos have been done before time and time again."

well,everyone already saw what happens when you try to be different and make a non fantasy mmo

::cough::star wars the old republic::cough::

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

It's not his cup of tea.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

Does GW2 get dark? Is there blood? Or is it all sunny and furry?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"These types of mmos have been done before time and time again."

well,everyone already saw what happens when you try to be different and make a non fantasy mmo

::cough::star wars the old republic::cough::

Being Sci-Fi is the least of SWTOR's problems...and not why it sucks ass.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by Vannor

Yeh, you're right. It is repetative. It takes far too long to get to a dungeon. Events are over too quickly and the rewards, although quite rewarding if you search around karma merchants, just don't feel very rewarding when you finish an event. The only mob I've found in the game that has good mechanics is the gold Oakheart one that spawns healing pods and minions. It, the game, does seem very generic after a while and almost 100% predictable.

Tell you summat else as well.. I'm sick to death of centaurs and bandits. The human areas 1-25 need more variety... I know there is 'some' variety but it seems largely dominated with those two types for the major and most frequent events. I get it's a lore thing but I wish they'd push that lore our way ingame a little more so we can appreciate it without external reading. I've read the books but I still feel the game itself is doing a poor job of getting the lore across.

Saying that though, they have an excellent foundation to work with. The only way is up and they will hopefully get there before release. I'm certain they will nail it no matter what in the end (before or after launch).

One thing I want to see is the simple addition of zone achievements (that don't give anything away; maybe labeled as 'unknown') to encourage people to explore them properly and/or revisit them. Not just POIs and waypoints, things like beating certain named mobs or talking to certain NPCs or following an event line all the way through to the end. Right now it feels like we are supposed to aim for 100% area map completion and then move on. Unless a player naturally enjoys random exploration for the sake of exploration, there just doesn't seem to be any real reason to stay in a zone after map completion.

What got me about this post, is it isn't about points of taste. It's about what  GW2 is lacking. It soundslike it's maybe a little thing, only surface deep. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm playing a Warrior and my melee kicks butt! :) Get a hammer if your a warrior and it is all good. Work on rifle and you will be happy!  I'm kinda wondering what you have played before that is more mature themed to keep you interested. This is a video game after all. I'm 53 years old and I don't play for a maturity level, I play for fun.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm playing a Warrior and my melee kicks butt! :) Get a hammer if your a warrior and it is all good. Work on rifle and you will be happy!  I'm kinda wondering what you have played before that is more mature themed to keep you interested. This is a video game after all. I'm 53 years old and I don't play for a maturity level, I play for fun.  

It sounds (post history)like he's played TSW.  You may not like the real world mature theme, but the content and game world are rich. People, places, items and quest are all tied into real world myth and ledgend.

If GW2 just has you killing bandits because they are mean, after you've been in a world were you can look up damn near every person, every item and even what npcs are talking about and find a tie to the real world... I can see how he would find GW2  boring.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Amjoco

i like to play with a lack of maturity lol, but all in good fun of course

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

And yet skyrims combat excites you.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I played about 6 hours of it so far myself as a Charr Ranger, it is a decent fantasy mmo so far, but I think the over hype, well tainted me. I was expecting alot more that everyone got giddy about, so far I see another fantasy mmo to pull players away from the other fantasy f2p mmorpgs they are already tired of.

Since I don't want to spoil anymore of this game, I am going to hold off on future Weekend beta invites. Besides that, the game looks and plays well on my rig, but the game hasn't hooked me like I thought it would yet. I was considering the GW2 CE from gamestop, but I am glad I just did the order thru amazon for the standard box game.

When the game is released, going to give a good run through. I was never a huge fan of GW1 in the 1st place, but the hype got the best of me and I had to know for myself if it was true about what the fans had said.

I think I am more into a complex mmo instead of a instant gratification mmo catered to a younger generation of mmo players.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

i couldnt log in more than 30 mins... i was rly turned off from the bad sliding movement of my character ..like it floating..... the visuals are cool  though.. and the dynamic events are rly rly rly boring......... a different kind of discuise for grinding... and there is alot of grinding... and i cannot go only for the story cause my lvl is low..so i have to do that repetetive "dynamic" events to lvl some more in order to be able to proceed to the story.... i didn't like that..and bored me to hell... back to play tera maybe tomorow ill try it again..

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

I played about 6 hours of it so far myself as a Charr Ranger, it is a decent fantasy mmo so far, but I think the over hype, well tainted me. I was expecting alot more that everyone got giddy about, so far I see another fantasy mmo to pull players away from the other fantasy f2p mmorpgs they are already tired of.

Since I don't want to spoil anymore of this game, I am going to hold off on future Weekend beta invites. Besides that, the game looks and plays well on my rig, but the game hasn't hooked me like I thought it would yet. I was considering the GW2 CE from gamestop, but I am glad I just did the order thru amazon for the standard box game.

When the game is released, going to give a good run through. I was never a huge fan of GW1 in the 1st place, but the hype got the best of me and I had to know for myself if it was true about what the fans had said.

I think I am more into a complex mmo instead of a instant gratification mmo catered to a younger generation of mmo players.

Is this really what this game is? Something built to compete with pandas? The cynic in me thought thay it might be, but I really wasn't sure. The post echoes the dev. that said traits and skills where to "shocking" so the made them "simpler."

I'm kinda shocked right now..

Originally posted by sodade21

i couldnt log in more than 30 mins... i was rly turned off from the bad sliding movement of my character ..like it floating..... the visuals are cool  though.. and the dynamic events are rly rly rly boring......... a different kind of discuise for grinding... and there is alot of grinding... and i cannot go only for the story cause my lvl is low..so i have to do that repetetive "dynamic" events to lvl some more in order to be able to proceed to the story.... i didn't like that..and bored me to hell... back to play tera maybe tomorow ill try it again..

If this is true, it sounds like swtor. That's bad design if that's the case.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I feel you man. Very mixed feelings here.

*picks up a rock and walks around with it, wondering what the hell he's doing*

*sees a mob respawn, drops rock, attacks mob*

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I am feeling a bit worn down by all the dynamic events.  I thought they would be a cool "addition" to general questing, but "IT FEELS like I am constantly getting into DE".   It's wearing a bit thin for me.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"