Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Storm Legion > GW2

Comments

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by cooper85

No, it is not  factions. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

Changing the name "faction" to the name "team" doest really work... 3 teams are 3 factions fighting each other.

"Can't be wrong on an Internet forum - I HAVE to "own" those GW2 fans!" ;)

Factions are very different from teams. Again Gw2 doesn't claim to have 3 faction PvP, since there are no factions. Don't get me wrong 3 team pvp is still fun, but it is not 3 faction.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

No, it is not  factions. The game is not even advertised as that. It advertises WvWvW. They have 3 team pvp.

Changing the name "faction" to the name "team" doest really work... 3 teams are 3 factions fighting each other.

Because that's not GW2 fanboys attitude towards fans of every other game /sarcasm ;)

I definitely don't (and I'm ignoring the childish "fanboy" insult, I guess you don't know any better, so I leave that to you).

I just don't tolerate wrong information to be spread, and pretending GW2 does not have 3 faction PvP warfare is just obviously wrong. ;)

Korrigan, chill abit. I'm only messing with you. I hate fanboys of any level. Cooper was going fanboy on TSW, so i didn't like it at all. See the post. And i like TSW alot.

Because that's not GW2 fanboys attitude towards fans of every other game /sarcasm ;)

I definitely don't (and I'm ignoring the childish "fanboy" insult, I guess you don't know any better, so I leave that to you).

I just don't tolerate wrong information to be spread, and pretending GW2 does not have 3 faction PvP warfare is just obviously wrong. ;)

Korrigan, chill abit. I'm only messing with you. I hate fanboys of any level. Cooper was going fanboy on TSW, so i didn't like it at all. See the post. And i like TSW alot.

:) 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

GW2s 3 Faction PvP is held in a massive area. I'd wager it alone is almost the size of Rifts game world.

Wow, I never even thought about it that way. Thats too true -- and sad at the same time. 

I think that's taking it a little far, the WvW area is big(it's also the same area copy-pasted 3 times) but I highly doubt it's comparable to Rifts game world.

nop...

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Factions are very different from teams. Again Gw2 doesn't claim to have 3 faction PvP, since there are no factions. Don't get me wrong 3 team pvp is still fun, but it is not 3 faction.

It's actually better than 3 factions - you are really part of YOUR world, fighting against other worlds. I hope it brings some "realm pride" back compared to those other MMOs where half the server is made of players you're never going to talk to anyway.

And no, factions are not different from teams. Factions are actually a bigger scale compared to teams, but then GW2's 3 side PvP is even on one level higher, opposing not teams, not faction, but whole worlds.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

The servers are the faction.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Actually your faction is your server. Not sure how thats any different from Rifts Factions. You pick a faction in Rift (Or you will at least) and your home server is your faction in GW2. Explain the difference for me.

It's actually better than 3 factions - you are really part of YOUR world, fighting against other worlds. I hope it brings some "realm pride" back compared to those other MMOs where half the server is made of players you're never going to talk to anyway.

I agree with this. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Xssiv
    Originally posted by dadante666

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

I enjoy a spirited debate every now and then so lets have a go at it.

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

Rift                            GW2

Dynamic Events                X                                   X

Dungeons                          X                                   X

Raids                                  X              

World Bosses                   X                                   X        

Battlegrounds                   X 

3 Faction PvP                    X  

WvW                                                                          X

Open World PvP               X

Fully Explorable World    X                                    X

Seemless World             X       

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

EDIT: Sorry, the formatting came out bad

Thought I'd fix this for you.  

Battlegrounds                   X                                   X (I think you forgot  GW2 has an entire system for PVP teamcombat)

3 Faction PvP                    X                                  X ( you do know that GW2 is the reason many games are revisiting this. FActions are your servers.  )

WvW                                                                         X

Open World PvP               X (no, but open world PVP is pointless in a cooperative Role playing game (see all RPGs) 

Seemless World             X                                     X (GW2's starting zones are 1.5 times larger scale wise than the high level                                                                             Rift zones) 

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

Um...I guess you haven't heard of the Durmand Priory, the Order of Whispers, or the Vigil then.  each of these is a player joinable faction in GW2.  Now I'm not saying that these factions have PvP implications but saying GW2 doesn't have any factions is just wrong.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I just don't tolerate wrong information to be spread, and pretending GW2 does not have 3 faction PvP warfare is just obviously wrong.

^THIS!!! One thing i notice about these GW2 vs. debates is the other side almost always has to resort to blatant misinformation. Then the threads wind up devolving into a debate over GW2's features which usually ends with the non-GW2 side backtracking and changing the subject to yet another feature about GW2. I notice it almost never becomes a debate about the other sides game features being misrepresented (or at least very rarely).

I can never be sure if the other side is just trying to troll GW2 fans or if they are just ignorant. The intellectual dishonesty from the haters is a constant though. Like claiming that Rift's rifts and GW2's dynamic events are the same or even comparable in any way that would favor Rift.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

http://www.twitch.tv/riftgame/b/320681138

I'll plan to play both games but in my opinion Trion has just raised the bar significantly. 

Love this company because they are one of the only few who actually DO something with the subscription fees. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Theres alot of nice things coming down in Rifts newest expansion but at its core it is still a linear WoW clone and untill that change count me out.  If they can somehow change the 1-50 leveling mechanic I would be more then willing to give it another go.

But no way can it compete with GW2's active combat, limited skill bar and boon/condition buff/debuff system.  IMO 4 bar bazillion ability based MMO's are a dieing breed.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GennerallGennerall Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by tixylix

If housing is instanced then I don't care.

Exactly how do you think it would be anything EXCEPT instanced?

I mean really, anyone who thought for a second it wasnt going to be instanced needs a serious reality check.

Actually, while I agree the housing will most likely be instanced. It is not entirely impossible for it to exist within the game world. If you think about what Trion is doing by essentially trippling the size of the game world by adding two new continents, then they do actually have the space to do this now. It seems to make even more sense when you consider that they're only increasing the level cap by 10, and that Trion have always adopted an approach which favours quick leveling. Its highly possible that one continent would contain the majority of the content on which you would level, and the second would be largely empty, free for players to build on. Hell, theres even a precedent for this already existing in Archeage, according to the beta reports the third continent in Archeage serves more or less this exact purpose.

I know i'm grasping at an awful lot of straws here, but I don't think its entirely fair to say that the housing could not exist within the main game world.

Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by dadante666

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

I enjoy a spirited debate every now and then so lets have a go at it.

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

Battlegrounds                   X 

3 Faction PvP                    X  

WvW                                                                          X

Open World PvP               X

Seemless World             X       

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

EDIT: Sorry, the formatting came out bad

Thought I'd fix this for you.  

Battlegrounds                   X                                   X (I think you forgot  GW2 has an entire system for PVP teamcombat)

3 Faction PvP                    X                                  X ( you do know that GW2 is the reason many games are revisiting this. FActions are your servers.  )

WvW                                                                         X

Open World PvP               X (no, but open world PVP is pointless in a cooperative Role playing game (see all RPGs) 

Seemless World             X                                     X (GW2's starting zones are 1.5 times larger scale wise than the high level                                                                             Rift zones) 

Actually, there's a problem with this. Rift doesn't have dynamic events, they have repeatable static events. GW2 has dynamic event chains that CHOOSES events (after the first two) called meta events so it has the ability to change. Rifts so far in my experience have been the same exact things and types of things happening over and over in a timed manner.

• TommayTommay Member Posts: 24

I really do feel like were just seeing what we saw from SWTOR, except they've renmaed it GW2 and instead of x innotive feature it is y innotive feature.

A lot of people see Rift as the game they played when they first started, the games a lot diferent now. Also most people got there never tried half the features, such as Raid rifts, Massive world scale events in some of the later zones (WHen both factions particapate, now that is open world PvP if your on a PvP Server)

May I also add to all the people saying all they see is gear grind bla bla bla. If you listened to the video, you may of heard them mention that these big bosses arn't designed for well geared players, just players who have dinged 60.

Another thing is people saying well i saw that boss at level 15 in GW2. No you didn't, did you see how it interacted with the world? Yes GW2 has many dynamic events that I cannot wait to play, but they dont match to that. ALthough there is only going to bew few of them in Rift

Another favourite comment I saw was someoene saying that GW2 has 3 faction already, but Rift doesnt yet. Conquest will be out way before GW2 is released.

Actually your faction is your server. Not sure how thats any different from Rifts Factions. You pick a faction in Rift (Or you will at least) and your home server is your faction in GW2. Explain the difference for me.

For example.

TSW has the lumies, temps, and dragons are factions. They are all human, but they have different ideologies, home land and attire.

TESO factions are different races with different home lands.

RIFT has 2 factions, but pvp is split into three factions with different ideology. 

GW2 has no factions, they have different races, but they are all on the same team. For purposes of pvp they have 3 realm fights in which all 3 realms are a mix of the same races. 

in this list TESO has the truest form of 3 faction pvp.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Tommay

Another favourite comment I saw was someoene saying that GW2 has 3 faction already, but Rift doesnt yet. Conquest will be out way before GW2 is released.

Want to make a real money bet on that? Come on, I'll bet $30 (not wanting to be too harsh on you), that's just two months of your Rift subscription... ;)

(for the mods : i'm just kidding on "assumptions" here, I don't intend to break forum rules by making a real bet)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

All I hear is more of the "WoW dungeon/raid" model - we gonna have x dungeons and y raids.

The outdoor boss looks kinda cool, but more like a desperate reaction to what you can already do at level 15 (out of 80) in GW2..

Most funny part is when the commenter has to ask what he's going to talk about... tower of.. yeah let's do this... not shown the press... how is it called... rofl...

A lot of people enjoy PvE content like dungeons and raids.  It's kinda funny when people dismiss it like it means nothing.

Alot does not equal you.  Less then 10% of an MMO's population participate in raid like activities.  The majority of MMO populations only dabble in solo or small group engagements.  Theres a reason why GW2 are forgoing the "raid or die" mentality and this is one of them.  Raiding promotes elitism, ass-hatery and destroys communities.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

For example.

The lumies, temps, and dragons are factions. They are all human, but they have different ideologies, home land and attire.

RIFT has 2 factions, but pvp is split into three factions with different ideology. 

GW2 has no factions, they have different races, but they are all on the same team. For purposes of pvp they have 3 realm fights in which all 3 realms are a mix of the same races. 

For RPing purposes I see your point. It is true RP faction. In non RP terms its a horrible idea to not be able to even interact(aside from fighting) with 2/3 of the people in your server because they are a different faction....

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

I seriously cannot even fathom how Rift is even being considered as innovative when its a carbon copy of every single thing before it. Who seriously cares about housing and cloaks? Anyone in design can tell you making a continent in a graphics engine is about the easiest thing to do in design. Its a matter of hitting a few varables in a toolkit and hitting generate. OP started this entire thread just to bait and troll otherwise he would of left GW2 out of it. Even comparing the two are silly and the population in Rift period speaks for itself. That game has been for months about the exact same population as warhammer was during its first year and into its second. If it was so great like the OP says then the sub numbers would not show the what 12 servers left on medium pop during peak hours. Rift is nothing more innovative as any other wow clone like allods or runes of magic and its funny seeing the last few fans of this title clinging to straws in hopes there will be some massive amount of new players joining.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

For example.

The lumies, temps, and dragons are factions. They are all human, but they have different ideologies, home land and attire.

i think you are both correct -- just different interpretations of what Faction pvp means

can get similar debates from players discussing what a mmorpg is

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Theres alot of nice things coming down in Rifts newest expansion but at its core it is still a linear WoW clone and untill that change count me out.  If they can somehow change the 1-50 leveling mechanic I would be more then willing to give it another go.

But no way can it compete with GW2's active combat, limited skill bar and boon/condition buff/debuff system.  IMO 4 bar bazillion ability based MMO's are a dieing breed.

They are a dieing breed. The thing is this, these sub only games are going to have to step it up. And that's exactly what those of us who see the effects of games like GW2 will have on the industry. We all told you that when GW2 was released the rest of the industry is going to have to catchup because they are just way too far behind. The proof will be when they start revamping the classes in Rift and games like that (all the other dungeon only games will be doing the same to compete) so that there aren't ten million abilities per class.

Older games won't be affected as much but the other games will. It's just a matter of time really. The driving force isn't the articles on why GW2 was developed (because of a stagnant industry) it's due to player demand after playing the beta's, players go back to their regular games after these weekends of awesome gameplay and realize just how behind the times the game they are paying to play really is, then they start posting in game forums to let the devs know look this isn't good enough, we spend our hard earned money on you and you need to do something about it.

I like Rift and I like Trion, but everyone of the developers need to revamp their games to keep up. Combat enhancement/leveling enhancement can only improve these games, anyone who says otherwise or claims that it wasn't due to games like GW2 coming out this year is just not being honest.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

DAoC, Truely a 3 faction game, GW2, NO.

DAoC has Midgaurd, Albion and Hibernia.

Midgaurd, Norn mythology, Albion, King Arthur and the days of camelot(?), Hibernia, the celtics mythology.

Midgaurd, cold baron snow lands, Albion, rolling hills of camelot, Hibernia, Mythical forests and an inbetween for scenery.

Midgaurd, Norns, Trolls, Kobbys, Ablion, Saracen, Half-Ogre, Inconnu, Hibernia, Celts, Firbolg, Lurikeens, Shar, Sylvan each has about 9 races distinctive between each FACTION.

Classes...

Midgaurd, Healer, Skald, Warrior, Shadowblade and about 8 others.

Albion, Cleric, Mintrel, Armsman, Infiltraitor, and about 8 others.

Hibernia, Druid, Bard, Hero, Nightshade, and about 8 others.

Each class similar but MUCH different, the first for all 3 is the main healer, but the cleric can dps, the healer can CC, and the druid can fully buff a full group.

Second is speed support, Skald is more tank w/ speed, Minst more stealth w/ speed, bard more support w/ speed.

Third, Soldiers of the realms, Warrior a great sword/shield tank, Armsman gets the heaviest Armor in game, and uses pole-arms. Hero gets Weakest of the heavy armor, but gets a transform ability, boosts health for 30 seconds (turn into a giant moose haha)

Point being, DIFFERENT. Those are factions.

Here is GW2s differences...

Nothing.

Each server is IDENTICAL in every area, every aspect, only difference is the playerbase.

Races, same.

Areas, same.

Classes, same.

Spec options, same.

Cities, same.

Bosses, same.

Mobs, same.

DEs, same.

Mini-games, same.

Even WvWvW borderlands, same.

That is teams, think CoD/BF multiplayer. Same teams, same classes, only difference is who brings what. They aren't factioned (No but it's Russians vs U.S.A. True but an assault class is assault, engineer is engineer, sniper is sniper, they are the same)

Not trying to flame or even say Rift is factioned (I don't know, i didn't think it truely was), just don't understand how Factions and Teams are getting confused.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by Kuppa

For example.

For RPing purposes I see your point. It is true RP faction. In non RP terms its a horrible idea to not be able to even interact(aside from fighting) with 2/3 of the people in your server because they are a different faction....

I agree. I don't know how TESO will handle this. At the same time if the populations is high and sustaned the no communictions can add to the conflict.