Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Storm Legion > GW2

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

"raids are about progression."

Good example of how deeply some people have their head stuck in the EQ/WoW clone progression model.

And there is no such thing as progression in GW2.

And there's no water in the ocean.

Keep saying it enough, and you might actually begin to believe it, but don't try and tell people who enjoy raids that the reasons they enjoy them aren't valid.  There is something to be said for progression raiding, and it is a very valid reason for enjoying that type of gameplay.  Just because you don't like the fact that you have to put in a bit of effort to reap the better rewards in a game, doesn't mean other people don't.  GW2 has dumbed all that down for you.  So that's great for the casuals, I suppose.  But you don't speak for everyone else.  

And I'm saying this as no fan of Rift.  I find it a shit game overall.  Just wanted to point out the example you gave isn't what the person you quoted was talking about.  Because what he was talking about doesn't exist in GW2.  

This kind of answers always crack me up, because I've been there, done that, and I have reaped the "best rewards", those people admire on the mailbox, in games like WoW. That's pretty much why GW2 is such a welcome change. A game going back to the player, and not the gear.

So believe all you want, kid... but personally, it's because I've done it all in the WoW clone "gear carrot" model that I do not want to have anything to do with that game model anymore. GW2 is a huge breath of fresh air in the theme park MMORPG scene.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by teakbois

more content alone wont help Rift, they need to make the overall experience more interesting if they want to grow (more content alone will keep the current people longer, but wont address why people left).

Housing is a step in the right direction.

Not having new 1-40 zones is a huge 'they don't get it' though.

The fact that there will be new abilities and talents for each soul is promising though.  They also need to make the dynamic events much more dynamic, they might be going in the right direction there.

But their writers also need to step it up, and they need to give the new continents better atmosphere

All i heard was Nerf Bat Nerf Bat Nerf Bat. 4 new souls that people will bitch and complain about. Fixes that will break something else 10x over.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I do like how Trion is raising the bar while some other companies seem to be trying to lower expectations.  {cough EA}  {cough Blizzard} (He threw in that jab about this is how subscription MMOs work, you pay to play = we add content.)  None of that has to do with GW2 though.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by kantseeme

All i heard was Nerf Bat Nerf Bat Nerf Bat. 4 new souls that people will bitch and complain about. Fixes that will break something else 10x over.

And people arent constantly bitching and complaining now?

Even if things were perfectly balanced, people would still bitch and moan.  The game people regard as the best PvP game, the game that Rift is trying to emulate (poorly) with its 3 team battle ground.....that game had very imbalanced classes.  The key is to balance around a team setting, not 1v1.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by tixylix

If housing is instanced then I don't care.

I love open housing too, but it isn't good for system performance. It causes a lagfest...

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Originally posted by Xssiv

A lot of people enjoy PvE content like dungeons and raids.  It's kinda funny when people dismiss it like it means nothing.

Not hard to dismiss it when in the "compared game" (aka GW2), you can do the same epic fights with huge bosses at level 15, without having to schedule your life around playing a video game...

No you can't.  A raid is different than a single world boss encounter.  GW2 doesn't have raids, because raids are about artificial content barriers through itemization.   And there is no such thing as content barriers in GW2.

Fixed. Raids in the world can be just as good as raids in a seperate instance taking you out of the world. Everquest 1 anyone? Just because no one has done it that well since then does not mean it cannot be done. There are elite events in GW2 at the end game which may or may not constitute as raids as well. The number of players in any given MMO at max level is a small percent of the total player base playing it, and an even smaller percentage raid. You wonder why so many people love to PvP? Because it has such a low bar of entry. Doing the same 5-7 boss encounters for 5 months straight after you defeat them the first time is not very compelling. MMOS are leaning further away from raids at this point since they are a dated mechanic and promote antisocial behavior combined with a tight schedule that most people cannot manage to utilize while playing a video game. Challenging content is possible outside raiding. The only reason the current MMOs tend to make it feel like the raids are the only challenge is because dungeons get trivialized very quickly by gear. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Can't we all just be happy that both are trying interesting stuff?

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by dadante666

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

I enjoy a spirited debate every now and then so lets have a go at it.

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

Rift                            GW2

Dynamic Events                X                                   X

Dungeons                          X                                   X

Raids                                  X              

World Bosses                   X                                   X        

Battlegrounds                   X 

3 Faction PvP                    X  

WvW                                                                          X

Open World PvP               X

Fully Explorable World    X                                    X

Seemless World             X       

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

EDIT: Sorry, the formatting came out bad

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Cosmetic, pet collection, and mini game progression.  That's...hilarious.

for you, raiding = mmo progression

until next update/expansion and its a reboot of doing it again in a dog chase tail fashion

I'm glad other forms of progression exist

personally, i'm not a fan of achievements but many people are

achievements are a form of cosmetic progression too

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Those three are so wrong it's not even funny anymore...

- GW2 has battlegrounds.

- GW2 has 3 faction PVP, when Rift only has two - nice way to try to revert the real situation here, or was it a typo?

- GW2's world size in the sub level 30 areas (out of 80 levels) crushes the total world size of Rift on both factions. Rift is so linear it's boring even just to talk about it. Oh, and it's "seamless", as in "without seams", too.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

TSW Funsang > GW2/RIFT 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by cooper85

TSW Funsang > GW2/RIFT

I love TSW more thna Rift and GW2, but

WTF are you talking about. Damm fanboys

- GW2 has battlegrounds.

- GW2 has 3 faction PVP, when Rift one has two - nice way to try to revert the real situation here.

- GW2's world size in the sub level 30 areas (out of 80 levels) crushes the total world size of Rift on both factions. Rift is so linear it's boring even just to talk about it. Oh, and it's "seamless", as in "without seams", too.

Name the three factions, as far as I've seen there are no factions, it's only WvW.   I could be wrong.  As far as BG's, I've only seen the Arena type PvP from GW2 (2v2, 3v3) which doesn't equate to a BG in my opinion. 

Regarding World size, I don't think GW2 will be bigger than Rift when the Xpac comes out.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by cooper85

TSW Funsang > GW2/RIFT

I love TSW more thna Rift and GW2, but

WTF are you talking about. Damm fanboys

Lol not yet when it doesn't work, oh they hear it from me, and there is still stuff that doesn't work ;)

but really Fusang 100v100v100 so many ways to play the game in that place. It mirrors there other systems in freedom of play style.

edit - does GW2 or RIFT have blood?

Oh and one more thing put an X in every slot for that check list up there for TSW ;) You may have your thread back now.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Nadia

A raid is different than a single world boss encounter.  GW2 doesn't have raids, because raids are about progression.   And there is no such thing as progression in GW2.

there is no gear progression,true

but plenty of cosmetic progression in GW2

ie  achievements, different looking armor/weapons, ranks to earn in mini games, pets to collect etc

Cosmetic, pet collection, and mini game progression.  That's...hilarious.

lol too easy.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Sorry But you Wish... not even near to be honest rift was a sussesfull game in release and till this day but nothing more than that ,still trion are a great company and alwais keep up whit theyr updates and patch wish is great  (not bad for  a dark age game now days) other than that not even near  rift is > gw2 sorry

It's very obvious that both games can co-exist and do well but let's break it down by core game play features. 

GW2 simply doesn't offer the amount of core features and content that Rift does.  Spin it however you want but taking out the trinity and gear progression doesn't make the game innovative and great.  It's definitely a different take on the MMO which may be a refreshing change but to say that GW2 is superior to Rift because of these reasons is silly.

GW 2 has 3 faction pvp, battlegrounds, open world pvp, and a Rift does not have a seemless world. GW2 is far more seemless. Lets throw in personal story, 5 starting areas (not two), skill based gameplay, and no monthly fee onto GW2's side of the fence ;) Let's not forget that once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you. The 3 faction pvp in Rift is also a joke. I would actually say Rift's 3 faction PvP is in the same category as battlegrounds. 

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

you shouldn't talk about thinks you don't have a clue about son.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Celcius once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you.

in RIFTs defense, they are adding mentoring next patch  1.9 -- so you can lower your level to old content

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

- GW2 has battlegrounds.

- GW2 has 3 faction PVP, when Rift one has two - nice way to try to revert the real situation here.

Name the three factions, as far as I've seen there are no factions, it's only WvW.   I could be wrong.  As far as BG's, I've only seen the Arena type PvP from GW2 (2v2, 3v3) which doesn't equate to a BG in my opinion. 

Regarding World size, I don't think GW2 will be bigger than Rift when the Xpac comes out.

Actually the arena pvp is 5v5, but ty for illustrating for us how unqualified you are to be making any comparisons in the first place. And WvW is a large scale 3 way match up on huge battlegrounds but i asume if you knew any of this then you wouldnt have made such a fool of yourself with your graph. Im still amused how you call Rift seemless when almost no game is seemless. Especially after bringing up its instanced dungeons. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by The_Korrigan Originally posted by Xssiv   Battlegrounds                   X  3 Faction PvP                    X   Seemless World             X       
    Those three are so wrong it's not even funny anymore... - GW2 has battlegrounds. - GW2 has 3 faction PVP, when Rift one has two - nice way to try to revert the real situation here. - GW2's world size in the sub level 30 areas (out of 80 levels) crushes the total world size of Rift on both factions. Rift is so linear it's boring even just to talk about it. Oh, and it's "seamless", as in "without seams", too.

GW2 has one faction, called "Players". Rift currently has 2 factions, but this will be expanded to three, depending on whether the player stays in the base world or whether or not they travel to other dimensions. Once they leave the base world, there are 3 factions, unrelated to the original 2 factions.

GW2 will have WvWvW warfare, so it'll be similar to a 3 faction battle zone, but it won't be factions, it'll be servers fighting each other. Rift will have a 3 faction warzone or possibly 3 faction open world PvP...I guess depending on what kind of server you've rolled your character on.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

- GW2 has battlegrounds.

Well lets say that what Trion is saying about the size of the world is true. The new areas will be as big as the first one. GW2 "STARTING ZONES" combined are bigger then Rift's whole world. Even if you multiplied that by 3, the game is still half the size of GW2. Lets not forget that every zone below 51 becomes irrelevant after the expansion comes out just like every WoW clone's expansion so I would say the world is technically only going to be twice as big. 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

- GW2 has battlegrounds.

I noticed you neglected to put structured PvP in your list.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I'd play Rift it it didn't have the most boring combat ever. I just can't do it. I love everything else about the game, but the combat, just can't do it.

Originally posted by Celcius
    ....snip

GW 2 has 3 faction pvp, battlegrounds, open world pvp, and a Rift does not have a seemless world. GW2 is far more seemless. Lets throw in personal story, 5 starting areas (not two), skill based gameplay, and no monthly fee onto GW2's side of the fence ;) Let's not forget that once you outlevel an area in Rift that the content becomes worthless to you. The 3 faction pvp in Rift is also a joke. I would actually say Rift's 3 faction PvP is in the same category as battlegrounds. 

No the have 3 team PvP. 3 faction is very different. there something about hating the other faction that all 1 faction can't bring. TESO and TSW have DAoC 3 faction battles. TESO even more so.

Originally posted by Celcius

GW2 has three server PvP (WvWvW) so I'll give you the 3 faction point.  It certainly doesn't have open world PvP.  As far as seemless worlds, you're joking right?  Each city has a load screen to get into it, each major zone has a load screen.  If you call that seemless then we're at an impass my friend.