Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait until we can get "Hands On" with TESO before judging it.

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

At least until you can actually play it for yourself (ie: demo, sneak peak, beta). I'm seeing a lot of "I'm Sold!" threads from the latest info from E3. However, I've heard the EXACT same spin from companies who have been shown to go out of control with their words. 

Case and point, SWTOR. Comments such as "TESO looks like it'll end up being the best thing since the past 10years." are starting to scare me from this forum. 

I just can't express how "weird" and at the same time "utter dismay" to constantly see the same comments that I saw from SWTOR, RIFT, Diablo III (granted not an MMO), and TERA hitting the TESO forum now. It's like a bad cycle pulled directly from the BattleStar Galactica series :|.

Please, I beg of you oh community of ours, be more skeptical until you actually can play it for yourself and don't buy into only words & some hovery videos that don't actually show anything but the art-style.

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Sensible words, but nowadays people are eager to throw away their money on substandard products (be it MMO or other stuff).

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by yaminsux

Sensible words, but nowadays people are eager to throw away their money on substandard products (be it MMO or other stuff).

The problem with that is that the industry gets confused, and then somehow think that WoW-Clones are what the market want. SWTOR, only after months of release, is starting to now show the market what we do NOT want, and that is only because they're paying attention to the retention rate of SWTOR.

TESO, in my eyes anyways, has not proven itself whatsoever to be even a decent MMO until we can get hands on with it. People need to stop simply listening to pretty words, and descriptions and focus 100% on where that game is leading to with gameplay. Simply watching is different than actually doing. 

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    I would be very wary about becoming very invested in this game. TESO has a habit of releasing extremely bugged games. With single player games this can be frustrating with the complexity of MMO’s it can often make the games almost unplayable. Regardless of their vision I really question their ability to release a MMO that’s not incredibly unbalanced and buggy as hell.
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by bverji
    I would be very wary about becoming very invested in this game. TESO has a habit of releasing extremely bugged games. With single player games this can be frustrating with the complexity of MMO’s it can often make the games almost unplayable. Regardless of their vision I really question their ability to release a MMO that’s not incredibly unbalanced and buggy as hell.

You gotta be careful here. TESO is being developed by Zenimax Online Studios, not Bethesda. So what you have experienced with Bethesda's games may not translate over to TESO.

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

You gotta be careful here. TESO is being developed by Zenimax Online Studios, not Bethesda. So what you have experienced with Bethesda's games may not translate over to TESO.

Zenimax Online Studios also haven't ever released an MMO. Their only claim to the market is the Lead Dev from DAOC's Atlantis Expansion, and we all know that the TOA expansion is the one that killed DAOC.

Again, nothing so far that Zenimax has put forth has proven TESO to be anything other than the same old thing reskinned with a popular IP. Again, i'd urge everyone to hold off & to be highly skeptical until they can physically play it.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

At least until you can actually play it for yourself (ie: demo, sneak peak, beta). I'm seeing a lot of "I'm Sold!" threads from the latest info from E3. However, I've heard the EXACT same spin from companies who have been shown to go out of control with their words. 

Case and point, SWTOR. Comments such as "TESO looks like it'll end up being the best thing since the past 10years." are starting to scare me from this forum. 

I just can't express how "weird" and at the same time "utter dismay" to constantly see the same comments that I saw from SWTOR, RIFT, Diablo III (granted not an MMO), and TERA hitting the TESO forum now. It's like a bad cycle pulled directly from the BattleStar Galactica series :|.

Please, I beg of you oh community of ours, be more skeptical until you actually can play it for yourself and don't buy into only words & some hovery videos that don't actually show anything but the art-style.

-Faded

I'm riding in your boat.  Let the others drowned.   Until I see actually game play and see the game in action, or play it myself - it is a wait and see game.   Just like ArcheAge, and any other game.   To many times publishers, game designers and certain fans come out of the woodwork and make all kinds of claims and then we learn the truth.   It is good to be skeptical, it is good to put these games under a microscope and see them.  

Originally posted by Teala

-Faded

I'm riding in your boat.  Let the others drowned.   Until I see actually game play and see the game in action, or play it myself - it is a wait and see game.   Just like ArcheAge, and any other game.   To many times publishers, game designers and certain fans come out of the woodwork and make all kinds of claims and then we learn the truth.   It is good to be skeptical, it is good to put these games under a microscope and see them.  

Indeed :)!

-Faded

What amazes me is how people change their mind and instantly polarize themself to the opposite extreme. Certainly my disposition towards the game has increased slightly since E3 (going from wanting to attack the developers on sight to watching them very warily), but I've noticed some of my friends, and forum goers become a blind fanboy over such little information that its astonishing. I wonder if MMO players are just so starved for a well-made game that they see salvation in any tidbit of non horrendous info?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Call me cynical, but after all the MMOs Ive been through and all the Dev Speak Ive heard, it just sounds like Politician Speak.

A whole lot of quack quack, bawk bawk...and then an egg

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

Zenimax Online Studios also haven't ever released an MMO. Their only claim to the market is the Lead Dev from DAOC's Atlantis Expansion, and we all know that the TOA expansion is the one that killed DAOC.

Again, nothing so far that Zenimax has put forth has proven TESO to be anything other than the same old thing reskinned with a popular IP. Again, i'd urge everyone to hold off & to be highly skeptical until they can physically play it.

[mod edit] FIrst of all Matt Firor was the one that LOST the power struggle in Mythic when they released ToA. He proposed that they should focus on the pvp aspect of the game since that was what the fans of the game liked. Problem was Mythic was made up of a bunch of Former EQ players and they wanted to add pve content.  Next time you go around spouting stuff you know nothing about, how about atleast research a little. Firor was the brains behind majority of the original daoc before toa. This is why I'm looking forward to see what he has done with the game now that he's in the drivers seat.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

-Faded

What amazes me is how people change their mind and instantly polarize themself to the opposite extreme. Certainly my disposition towards the game has increased slightly since E3 (going from wanting to attack the developers on sight to watching them very warily), but I've noticed some of my friends, and forum goers become a blind fanboy over such little information that its astonishing. I wonder if MMO players are just so starved for a well-made game that they see salvation in any tidbit of non horrendous info?

Yes they are, we all are.   Thre will probably never be the perfect MMO, but it boggles my mind just how out of touch with the MMORPG community MMORPG game designers are.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I at this point would also like to add my own call to to the mmmorpg.com community in this excelent thread.

LEARN YOUR FREAKING LESSON!!!!!

Every new aaa game release it's the same patern and it's really f$%^ing boring and it makes you look like a giant rancid knuckle dragging cretin if you follow it.

I love/hate this game already

WoW killer/F2P in a month

If you don't hate/think this game is great your an asshole and I wont take you seriously

We don't have to keep going through the same patern every time a new AAA is released. We know practicly nothing about TESO so far so if you are already a fanboy or a hater you are doing it wrong. You can be skeptical and discus merits or flaws or any titbits of information we have without being  overly negative or buying it a wedding ring for the sake of it.

Stay objective.

/rant over, going to make breakfast.

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

Bethesda owns and founded Zenimax  and has control of management and operations . 

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Won't say the game is going to be good, bad or TORtanic. Just that so many of the choices they have listed so far feel to be going the wrong way for the IP.  Will wait to decide, but living in dread.

Bethesda owns and founded Zenimax  and has control of management and operations . 

Bethesda Softworks and ZeniMax Online Studios are both subsidaries of ZeniMax Media. Meaning, technically, Zenimax Media has control over both. However, that is beside the point. You have different developers working on TESO than the other Elder Scrolls games. The fact that both are owned by the same parent company does not necessarily mean there is a correlation in the frequency of bugs. Its possible though, hence why I said you need to becareful in your assumptions there.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

This is what happens when you play games in one sub-genre only.

You devour new games at an insane pace and get so desperate for something else that you get excited for the smallest bit of info on a possible new experience.

It's not good to get this hyped on a game after watching little more than a tech demo.

The majority of you people are sick and tired of the same old thing yet pine for this after one dev interview and tech demo?

I suggest waiting for a gameplay video or testing the game for yourself before you go down this road, the same road you've been down atleast a half dozen times.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I know this sounds unreasonable but:

the game is class based and its not in 1st person, thats a deal breaker for me. If I go back to MMOs, I will reactivate my Darkfall account.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by spookydom

I at this point would also like to add my own call to to the mmmorpg.com community in this excelent thread.

Every new aaa game release it's the same patern and it's really f$%^ing boring and it makes you look like a giant rancid knuckle dragging cretin if you follow it.

If you don't hate/think this game is great your an asshole and I wont take you seriously

We don't have to keep going through the same patern every time a new AAA is released. We know practicly nothing about TESO so far so if you are already a fanboy or a hater you are doing it wrong. You can be skeptical and discus merits or flaws or any titbits of information we have without being  overly negative or buying it a wedding ring for the sake of it.

Stay objective.

Its sorta refreshing to see TESO getting the Hate Train so early on, it was different than other AAA titles.

Most AAA titles started with a huge fan backing, so all the haters had to try very hard to convinced the fans of their wrong doings. Now its the opposite, its the fans of MMO not ES , just MMO trying to get others to see that TESO is gonna be great.

I have already given up on TESO, the more info they release, the more it looks just like another typical MMO. I am just really hoping that they will not ruin any Single Player ES games in the future. HOping and trying to dig out the little informations to ensure myself that TESO will never damage ES IP. And that Bethesda is and will make another SP ES game.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by Lucioon
    Originally posted by spookydom

Stay objective.

Its sorta refreshing to see TESO getting the Hate Train so early on, it was different than other AAA titles.

Most AAA titles started with a huge fan backing, so all the haters had to try very hard to convinced the fans of their wrong doings. Now its the opposite, its the fans of MMO not ES , just MMO trying to get others to see that TESO is gonna be great.

I have already given up on TESO, the more info they release, the more it looks just like another typical MMO. I am just really hoping that they will not ruin any Single Player ES games in the future. HOping and trying to dig out the little informations to ensure myself that TESO will never damage ES IP. And that Bethesda is and will make another SP ES game.

agreed. At the moment I am trying to not let it affect my attitude toward the skyrim expansion Dawngaurd which unfairly it already has.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

[chomp] 

Ha! I saw the title and thought you'd be saying the opposite: Wait until you can try it out until judging it a complete WoW-ripoff p.o.s. Well, I personally don't know what the heck I'm supposed to make of TESO but I second your proposal to stop trying to read from tea leaves no matter which side you are leaning to. PS. What on earth are you doing in these forums trying to promote a non-emotional, fact based approach which is not based on personal opinions? Are you...you know...MAD? :)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

It sounds like you all just do not like MMORPG's anymore. No one is making you buy it, but I'am sure you all will then hate it because thats what you do. Living in the old days about how great it was isnt going to change  the future of gaming. They are moslty restricted by the users computers as to how playable they can make these games. Most of the world is poor right now and nobody wants to drop $1200 - $1500 to buy a new updated computer to run a game that will be out dated in a year maybe slightly more .

The only reason the games were good back then was because you had no other choices in the genre to compare them too. Right now there are so many titles jumping into the market its getting flooded. They are coming out in a pace we have never seen before. UO and EQ showed the potential for the genre, WoW capitolized on it, now everyone is trying to grab a peice of the pie with their take on what they think would be a fun game. We are getting spoiled from all the releases and the OG crowd is crying because they want a pretty hat that says they were the firsts and they want to keep having new innovations from every game. Every game out or coming out is just a remix of some parts from previous games, everyone compares it to the last game, then says why didnt they put this is the game. 

FPS games have been out for a long ass time and they are all the same if you look at them, even the MMOFPS that are coming out are exaclty the same as the FPS games that have been out. There isnt much you can change in that genre because its been refined so much. All they change is graphic's now. Happens to every genre, they may throw a few new tricks in but at the core they are all the same or they wouldnt be the game your expecting, they would be a new genre.

Im looking forward to play some 3 faction PvP again with a new spin on it. Glad to see this finally come back, I had the most fun in DAoC back then. GW2 is going to be fun also, they arent doing anything to blow innovation out of the water but it seems to be a fun game. Thats all I want in a game is for it to be fun and capture me into playing it for a good chunk of time. WIll TESO fail? Who the hell knows, time will tell. Will it be fun is all I care about.

Originally posted by Chingo

[chomp] 

Ha! I saw the title and thought you'd be saying the opposite: Wait until you can try it out until judging it a complete WoW-ripoff p.o.s. Well, I personally don't know what the heck I'm supposed to make of TESO but I second your proposal to stop trying to read from tea leaves no matter which side you are leaning to. PS. What on earth are you doing in these forums trying to promote a non-emotional, fact based approach which is not based on personal opinions? Are you...you know...MAD? :)

why do people keep talking as if we dont already know, like there are unknowns that we need to wait on. We knew the first publicated article.

no housing

class based

no FPS view or FPS combat

forced factions

WTF? thats it done. I dont need to know anymore

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

[chomp] 

why do people keep talking as if we dont already know, like there are unknowns that we need to wait on. We knew the first publicated article.

no housing

no classes

forced factions

Didnt they say there were going to be the classic Warrior/Mage/Rogue classes in TESO?

I could have sworn they mentioned having Classes

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I agree with the sentiment in this thread but realistically I don't see it happening. There are just too many extremes on here. Funny the first bunch of threads on TESO were all very negative, then a little new info and now you have a wave of very positive threads. That's just how it is here. People don't want to be objective they just want to love or hate everything based on the smallest bit of information.

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

[chomp] 

no housing

no classes

forced factions

Didnt they say there were going to be the classic Warrior/Mage/Rogue classes in TESO?

I could have sworn they mentioned having Classes

my mistake I was thinking No skill based and typed wrong. you are correct. fixed orginal