Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Our Official Diablo III Review

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I am seriously wondering why people say D3's 'value' is low for a $60 game.

Last I checked, Max Payne3 is only 12 hours long and that was a $60 as well.

I bought both and have no issue with both. Both gave me entertainment and I am going to get 100s hours of enjoyment out of D3.

Story wasn't great but then again, Diablo1/2 didn't exactly have stellar story either.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by jpnz

I bought both and have no issue with both. Both gave me entertainment and I am going to get 100s hours of enjoyment out of D3.

Story wasn't great but then again, Diablo1/2 didn't exactly have stellar story either.

"Value" for me is comprised of a lot of things.

Can I mod D3? No.

Can I play it offline? No.

Does re-starting to try out different builds of a class make sense? No.

Can I skip things I don't like (story)in new playthroughs? No.

Can I freely roam the lands of Sanctuary? No.

Is there any reason to replay the game (which is very much what it's designed around, if you hear the devs tell it): No.

For me, the game was a mediocre one-time romp through the game. I didn't feel challenged at any point. The story was cringeworthy (b-movie dialogues all over the place, highly visible (and dumb) villains, un-twists, almost no characters [they're more like plot devices], and bad pacing to name just a few), and to top it off: I couldn't play the first three days because of servers acting up. When I asked for a refund on day four, they declined it since their DE only has a 72 hour deadline. Ba-dumm-tsh!

And let me tell you, I bought SW:TOR as CE, played through one class story, and felt I got my money's worth. Because the story was actually decent and kept me guessing. It had likable characters, the game was fun and challenging. So it's not me being niggardly.

edit: And Torchlight is 1/3rd the price, and offers both Offline play and LAN. And moddability. And more character customization.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

The original price for the Diablo 2 battle chest which included both Diablos and the expansion for Diablo 2 was $40.  The design costs between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 have not increased, as a matter of fact they decreased.  The game was totally scrapped in 2009 and restarted from scrach.  So in reality the game actually took three years to make.  So is Blizzard trying to pass the costs of the other two versions of Diablo 3 on us?

The reason why Max Payne is a $60 game is because the design costs for such a game are huge.  You have to pay for the hundreds of cut scene videos,  the licensing of physics engnie, and the careful modern design.

Diablo 3 is a very cheaply made game given an insanelty high cost simply to rip off consumers.  Let's try this "$60 game metaphor again" shall we.  Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is a $60 game.  World of Warcraft is a $60 game.  Starcraft 2 is a $60 game.  Why does Diablo 3 think it can get away being so expensive?

Torchlight 2 is a very simlar game and it costs $20.  It has similar play value, it has play length, and it is one of the only games of the genre.  Yet Diablo 3 in all it's glory thinks itself to be a $60 game.

To make this clear a $60 game is not about how long you can play it..  If you want to get technical Diablo 3 can be beaten in 7 hours making it less of a play value than Max Payne 3.  Simply having difficuly modes and achievements does not give the game great play value.  I have over 2600 hours in Anno 2070.  It has one 30 hour campaign, it has a sandboxing mode, it has DLC, and it has monthly world events you can participate in.  That game is a $60 value and it sells for $50.

• jonchicoinejonchicoine Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by troublmaker

The original price for the Diablo 2 battle chest which included both Diablos and the expansion for Diablo 2 was $40.  The design costs between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 have not increased, as a matter of fact they decreased.  The game was totally scrapped in 2009 and restarted from scrach.  So in reality the game actually took three years to make.  So is Blizzard trying to pass the costs of the other two versions of Diablo 3 on us?

The reason why Max Payne is a $60 game is because the design costs for such a game are huge.  You have to pay for the hundreds of cut scene videos,  the licensing of physics engnie, and the careful modern design.

Diablo 3 is a very cheaply made game given an insanelty high cost simply to rip off consumers.  Let's try this "$60 game metaphor again" shall we.  Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is a $60 game.  World of Warcraft is a $60 game.  Starcraft 2 is a $60 game.  Why does Diablo 3 think it can get away being so expensive?

Torchlight 2 is a very simlar game and it costs $20.  It has similar play value, it has play length, and it is one of the only games of the genre.  Yet Diablo 3 in all it's glory thinks itself to be a $60 game.

To make this clear a $60 game is not about how long you can play it..  If you want to get technical Diablo 3 can be beaten in 7 hours making it less of a play value than Max Payne 3.  Simply having difficuly modes and achievements does not give the game great play value.  I have over 2600 hours in Anno 2070.  It has one 30 hour campaign, it has a sandboxing mode, it has DLC, and it has monthly world events you can participate in.  That game is a $60 value and it sells for $50.

it's simple...

Imagine you owned the company... then remember the goal of your business is probably to make money... if people will pay it... how can you justify to your stockholders that even though people would pay $60 you thought it would be better to charge $20 ...

having said that... diable3 doesn't have the replay value (for many reasons, like low lvl cap) so i bet people won't be paying $60 to  buy (lease really, cause you don't own if if you have to log in to their servers, eh)  diablo 4 ...

blah

• asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70

This game was pretty terrible... returned it after a week. Only played it to progress in the story, that was it.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Uhh...I would definitely rate this game a 7.0-7.5 MAX....I have a feeling it got such good ratings due to it being Diablo, and from Blizzard. It doesn't have the longevity and that value rating is hilariously biased. The visuals also weren't that great, they were nice but they weren't an 8.5 tbh.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

So, because Max Payne is so short as to be a complete ripoff, it's OK for D3 to be that short as well?  Makes sense, if all you want out of your games is the lowest common denominator.  Myself, I am put off by such things, but the real head scratcher for me... my burning question... is this:

Why does Starcraft 2 have more RPG elements than Diablo 3?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

I feel like this article is so wrong.... by that i mean points. Not very strong for the rating you give them.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

So, because Max Payne is so short as to be a complete ripoff, it's OK for D3 to be that short as well?  Makes sense, if all you want out of your games is the lowest common denominator.  Myself, I am put off by such things, but the real head scratcher for me... my burning question... is this:

Why does Starcraft 2 have more RPG elements than Diablo 3?

So what is actually 'short'?

Do we have an artbituary number to hit that 'medium and not short' gameplay time?

Skyrim has 100s hours of gameplay.

Minecraft has zero to infinite hours of gameplay (your personal preference to whether minecraft has gameplay at all).

Then we have Max Payne3, Trine, Nyxquest etc that don't have 100s of hours.

I didn't consider Max payne to be a 'ripoff' because for me the 'value' was good enough.

I buy $10 coffee every morning at work. The value is good enough. It might not be for everyone and that's totally fine.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Originally posted by Veldara

I'm finding a lot of gamers that are very vocal and dislike this game usually are the ones that played the originals.  I can respect that they don't like the new direction of the game, but as a person that never has played the originals and who found TL1 while entertaining but clunky I really enjoy D3 far more.  It's bringing in players that never played these types of games, myself included.  The streamlined direction of the game flows well and is action packed and doesn't slow you down with far too much numbercrunching.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of D2. The original Torchlight does scratch D1 level in gameplay but D2 is faaaar away in the distance ahead.

If this game was the 2nd Diablo, it would be great. However D2 was the best in the series so faar.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Not a single word about the story? I think this review is missing a part.

[mod edit]

Gdemami -

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

I don't quite disagree with the review, so I'll just add that, as the games exist currently, I believe Tian Quest is superior.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

it's simple...

Imagine you owned the company... then remember the goal of your business is probably to make money... if people will pay it... how can you justify to your stockholders that even though people would pay $60 you thought it would be better to charge $20 ...

having said that... diable3 doesn't have the replay value (for many reasons, like low lvl cap) so i bet people won't be paying $60 to  buy (lease really, cause you don't own if if you have to log in to their servers, eh)  diablo 4 ...

blah

I hate when  people pretend like they know a tonne about business.

Okay let's go on this "imagien you own a company."  In fact I actually own a company, I own three.  So now let's continue this as I own a company and now you pretend you are a consumer.

You go to your local paving business and want your drive way paved.  You pay in full and the pavers show up.  After paving your drive way you note that it is not level, it is a 4 inche lift off of the road and there is a foot print in it.  What do you do as a consumer.  Well you complain your ass off for this broken driveway.  When the paving business does not fix your driveway you tell everyone that these guys suck.

See when a company tries to exploit their consumers their reputation is hurt.  This means that they'll have less sales of future games and less sales on current ones.  The reason why Diablo 3 can put out millions of sales on their first day is because Blizzard Entertainment has a great reputation.  People just assume these guys shit gold.

Bethesda Studios had a great reputation with Morrowind and then Oblivion.  Then they created DLC (HORSE ARMOR ZOMG) and their reputation was ruined.  They had to rebuild it with massive investment in cheap time efficient DLC packs for Oblivion and of course Skyrim.

If Blizzard continues to disappoint their fans their sales with plummet.

• darklordacedarklordace Member UncommonPosts: 14

Dont you know this is mmorpg. They write reviews on games not even in alpha testing.  This is what this site is for. Misinformation and uninformed writing.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by t0nyd

I just dont see how you can call a 60$ game a 10/10 in value. I mean, wtf is a 20$ game like torchlight going to score in the value deparment, 9000/10

I also dont see how you can call the combat visceral then turn around and say that the game is far to easy. Visceral combat only exists if combat is challenging.

Maybe they meant the value the hackers will get when they compromise your acct, because of a Blizz weakness in the server or client code, and sell all your stuff in the upcoming RMAH. :P

In typical MMORPG.com fashion, this review over-emphasizes the postives, and there are postive points to this game, but glosses over the neagtive aspects. Or does not even mention them.

This game rates no better than 7-7.5, based on large deductions for server stability for B.net (which is required even for single player games - dumb), security weaknesses in the client, server code, or both, and the plain lack of available choices in making different toon builds (since when has "choice" become a bad thing?).

We waited 11 years for this?

• darklordacedarklordace Member UncommonPosts: 14

Im just gonna say it. Did they pay you too write this? The game is complete and utter trash. Played it once and i do love ALL games returned it after playing it through twice. Its a pointless cash cow for actiblizzard. We dont want games that will "Get better"  give us the game you said you were making not this abortion you titled diablo 3. I have been a gamer since better times so im not just blowing smoke. But honestly the first day playing it that i was able too i was literally turned off. Sitting there playing saying "Really? j..just REALLY?"  I for one was really excited to see what this would offer which is nothing but a grind machine that blizz makes 15% off the top off every mini market bullshit.

Originally posted by darklordace

Im just gonna say it. Did they pay you too write this? The game is complete and utter trash. Played it once and i do love ALL games returned it after playing it through twice. Its a pointless cash cow for actiblizzard. We dont want games that will "Get better"  give us the game you said you were making not this abortion you titled diablo 3. I have been a gamer since better times so im not just blowing smoke. But honestly the first day playing it that i was able too i was literally turned off. Sitting there playing saying "Really? j..just REALLY?"  I for one was really excited to see what this would offer which is nothing but a grind machine that blizz makes 15% off the top off every mini market bullshit.

So let me get this straight, you hated it so much that you finished it twice?

Isn't that like 20hours (minimum) of gameplay time?

Just puzzled that's all.

If I don't like a game, I generally don't play it but maybe that's just me?

Gdemami -

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by darklordace

So let me get this straight, you hated it so much that you finished it twice?

Isn't that like 20hours (minimum) of gameplay time?

Just puzzled that's all.

If I don't like a game, I generally don't play it but maybe that's just me?

Some force themselves to play it hoping it will get better, NOT worse. They are searching for a redeaming value, when there is none the anger is only doubled by the fact they wasted time looking for it,

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

:/ what did it for me was how badly done the class balance is its silly to say the least i have 106hours on my monks and 36 on my witch doctor and i cant even look at my monk with out geting sick its just so disgusting how bad the balance is makes me feel like vomiting just thinking about it

god dam it i really liked the game but DAT balance was to much

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

:/ what did it for me was how badly done the class balance is its silly to say the least i have 106hours on my monks and 36 on my witch doctor and i cant even look at my monk with out geting sick its just so disgusting how bad the balance is makes me feel like vomiting just thinking about it

god dam it i really liked the game but DAT balance was to much

So it is the same as D2 then? :P

D2 hydra /static sorc was broken in D2 as well.

Gdemami -

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

I would be fairly surprised if Any Bigname game doesnt get a >8.0 staff review on this site. Its either that these "reviews" are a sellout to the ones who pay for the adverts on mmorpg.com or the reviewer is just a over enthusiastic wide eye`d boy (no offence Mike but thats what you are coming off as IMHO).

Either have a group of 3-5 testers run the majority of the game content before giving it a number based review, so that people of different playstyles (among you 3+ testers) give an aggregate based on personal thoughts or just dont make a spotlight thread about the game review at all. 

Only read the paragraph on "Longevity" and I got to say thats some serious BS there. Are you taking someone else's word on Inferno's state and pushing it out as your own "review"? Lots of In My Opinions there, which by no point look to be of a neutral point of view. Is it a company paid review or something that the reviewer actually wanted to do?And the next line about PvP, how can you talk about it being super fun or whatever when its not even in the game? Did you score the game on whats supposed to be added into it in the future as well? 

Not like my post will matter, any new game from bigshot studios that come out will be glossed over with googoogaga eyes while its around a month out of release, "reviews" will be given based of a couple of hour's of play and regardless of the problems that game is facing it will get a score above 7.0 and be called a great game. Just the usual day at the mmorpg.com office. 

But what I would have liked to see was the score this game would have gotten, if it was exactly the same game without being called Diablo 3 developed by Blizzard. Maybe it would have gotten something between 5.5 to 7 but high chances are it wouldnt have even been reviewed since the company wouldnt have paid for banners on the homepage.

• JuicemanJuiceman Member Posts: 167

u give the game a kind review. me and my friend r liking it, but some of the content is annoying.  the good, it really evolves the diablo story well, lots n lots to learn while playin this game storywise.  We have fun even farming.  the problem,  it is geared towards Ah money making.  Ok, im not a hugely against it. really not.  but it's almost pay to win.  we're in inferno, we torque most of the time as a good WD n wiz team, but some mobs r just too much.  If you run into two champ packs or 1 elite + champs u pretty much just give up.  There are no memorable champs either; there is no pindleskin.  That is lame.  Still, our goal as a team is to have fun and be good at the game, AH or not.  We'll use the Ah when we want, for now, we're having some fun in inferno, it's hard as hell+:P for now, it's diablo, hardly a game that's better.   Enjoy!  :P/)

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Blizzard is the most trashed company by people on this website, i can see why they dislike the review because it doesn't trash blizzard like they enjoy doing.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

8.5 ???????????   seriously???????????????