Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favourite MMO mouse

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by troublmaker
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Originally posted by Krimzin I dont care for the Naga products. I think the buttons are to crammed in.  
    Took me some time to get used to, but now i have full controll with quick reaction over 9 of the 12 buttons to the side. The other 3 require repositioning of the hand, so they are used for less important things. Combined with the keys on my G1`5 keyboard there is more then enough keys available for quick actions.
    The reason why most controllers have triggers being used by fingers is because scientifically your fingers are proven to have better reaction time.  That's the main reason why top button joysticks basically vanished off of the face of the earth and were replaced with finger press buttons.

Trying to rebind all of your keys to a single remote ends up being really inefficient.  It's really hard to explain this to people who use the Naga though.  They're all convinced it's somehow superior when basic anatomy disagrees.

It can be better than a standard keyboard/mouse scenario. While it's true that your pointer fingers are going to be faster and more accurate than your thumb, that doesn't mean your thumb can't be useful. Are you thumbist or something?

The Naga removes the need to move your left hand. You're still moving your fingers for the WASD keys, but you're not sliding your hand up and down the keyboard to hit all twelve number keys across the top. Add a couple convenient thumb buttons for your left hand so you can hit Shift, Alt and Ctrl and you've got a nearly hand-movement free setup.

That doesn't mean everyone should run out and buy a Naga. It's a small mouse so using it may or may not be comfortable. Your thumb, while strong, doesn't do a whole lot of stuff that requires really fine movements. So you have to train your brain to do that with your thumb. Once it works though, it works really, really well. Or it just doesn't work at all. 3 out of 4 people I know who have one find it useful. 1 out of the 4 doesn't find it useful and wasted money on it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

buy today Logitech G700, hope i like this mouse since is terms of buttons layout is the perfect one for me.

• Originally posted by udon

I played with a Naga in the store for awhile and just couldn't get use to the smaller buttons.  I have a giant thumb and just had a hard time identifing the buttons.  The G700 side buttons are ridged instead of flat and much easier to identify even with large hands.  It's 4 side buttons on the G700 vs 12 on the Naga so I'm not sure it's fair to compare them in that regrad but if you can't accuratly press the buttons you won't use the mouse no matter how many buttons it has.

I have the same issue with big thumbs so the Naga buttons are very difficult for me to use.  Also, I'm not sure how people who have this mouse are able to pull it off, but there's no room on the left side to use your thumb to lift the mouse for repositioning on the mouse pad.  I kept hitting buttons inadvertantly.

• Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Sixpax
    This is the only mouse I've tried that has easy to find and press thumb buttons:

http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-mmo-gaming-mouse

Those Razor Naga's buttons are too small and crammed together for my taste, and the Logitech ones never have enough thumb buttons (2 or 3 doesn't cut it).

The design of those mice was really good. The manufacturing was horrible. I've never seen so many people I personally know get so many consistently bad products as when the first version of that mouse was released. They may have fixed it in the newer versions, but the memory of that first horrible mouse makes me leery of buying anything from SteelSeries. Which is sad, because their Siberia headsets look like something I'd like to purchase.

I read about the problems with the 1st generation ones (WoW MMO gaming mouse), but haven't had any of those issues with this one.  I guess they improved their manufacturing process.  Believe me I was dead set against Steelseries prior to getting this mouse but none of the other popular gaming mice satisfied me (although I see from the posts here that new ones have come out since I bought mine last year so I might give some of them a test).

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Sixpax This is the only mouse I've tried that has easy to find and press thumb buttons:   http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-mmo-gaming-mouse Those Razor Naga's buttons are too small and crammed together for my taste, and the Logitech ones never have enough thumb buttons (2 or 3 doesn't cut it).
    The design of those mice was really good. The manufacturing was horrible. I've never seen so many people I personally know get so many consistently bad products as when the first version of that mouse was released. They may have fixed it in the newer versions, but the memory of that first horrible mouse makes me leery of buying anything from SteelSeries. Which is sad, because their Siberia headsets look like something I'd like to purchase.  
    I read about the problems with the 1st generation ones (WoW MMO gaming mouse), but haven't had any of those issues with this one.  I guess they improved their manufacturing process.  Believe me I was dead set against Steelseries prior to getting this mouse but none of the other popular gaming mice satisfied me (although I see from the posts here that new ones have come out since I bought mine last year so I might give some of them a test).

I've always gone with the thought that if there are new gaming mice coming into existence, I should be buying at least one of them. I may be switching to headsets though. After a certain point, the new mice are only different, not better. :-)

• oafuapeoafuape Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I am currently using the mad catz mmo 7 mouse for gw2
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I've been using the Razer Naga for a couple of years now. I had to replace my original about a month ago, (had the sticky right click problem that couldn't be corrected with the workaround). I really like it as it affords a large amount of control, I suck at shift/ctrl/alt+hotkey, so I assign my numpad to my naga for extra button use. In games like GW2 I can just drive using WASD and control the rest with the mouse. For games like D3, I can play the game with the mouse only (even though I really want to use WASD to drive :P ).

If I could get used to a notromo, I would be set. I just can't get used to that damned thing.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

I have a g700 and it's my favorite mouse ever.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by udon

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by baphamet  

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by timeraider
    haven't seen this one looks like a much better spacing for the buttons than the other naga's
      that one is designed more for ARPG's than MMORPG's, though it may be okay for GW2 since you don't use a lot of hot buttons at one time. people talk about how they don't like the razer naga because of the buttons being "crammed together" but it really is not an issue after getting used to it, which doesn't take long.
    for me mostly it was hand placement and moving the mouse while using all the thumb buttons gave me hand cramps.. i have smallish hands so that could be a reason as well..  I gave it a month then swapped it out for the g700 and couldn't be happier:P
    I played with a Naga in the store for awhile and just couldn't get use to the smaller buttons.  I have a giant thumb and just had a hard time identifing the buttons.  The G700 side buttons are ridged instead of flat and much easier to identify even with large hands.  It's 4 side buttons on the G700 vs 12 on the Naga so I'm not sure it's fair to compare them in that regrad but if you can't accuratly press the buttons you won't use the mouse no matter how many buttons it has.

i got big hands too and it does take a couple hours to get used to, but i can identify each button now no problem.

a lot of it is also how you map your skills, if you randomly map them where you are just pushing buttons all over the place, then yeah it could be difficult.

i map mine in an organized fashion so each row is used for a certain situation. i will admit i haven't tried any of the other gaming mice so maybe some of the other ones are better but i wanted a mouse to have a lot of buttons on it so i am happy.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

buy today Logitech G700, hope i like this mouse since is terms of buttons layout is the perfect one for me.

you should its the best mouse I've tried so far:) also the thumb rest area is by far the most comfortable Iv'e found for extended gaming or just browsing sessions

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Use to be Naga but now the Hex.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• seldomseen13seldomseen13 Member Posts: 16

Yeah, I just replaced my MX518 with a G500 because I had worn through the MX518's shoes. The G500 seems good, but I do miss the smooth feel of the 518. Its definitely at the top until I deem the 500 worthy.

• Originally posted by seldomseen13

Yeah, I just replaced my MX518 with a G500 because I had worn through the MX518's shoes. The G500 seems good, but I do miss the smooth feel of the 518. Its definitely at the top until I deem the 500 worthy.

Has the Logitech software gotten any better?  The last time I used one it had only basic functionality and just a single profile.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by seldomseen13

Has the Logitech software gotten any better?  The last time I used one it had only basic functionality and just a single profile.

WAY better g700 you can not only set multiple profiles for anything you can also set each button to do anything you want.. not only that you can macro any button to do any combination of keystrokes you want as well.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

logitech is the way to go. razor naga is just for the fashion conscious.

Originally posted by causs
    The Mionix Naos 5000.

I don't know about the mouse, but I really like the Zibal 60 keyboard they have for sale.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I love my Naga.  Those side buttons are a life savor.  

• darthkanosptdarthkanospt Member UncommonPosts: 14

Right now I use a SS Xai, but next week I will use a Naga hex, so I will see. if it really is as good as it should be.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

whatever's under $10 at wal-mart.  i can use keybinds just fine.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima
    Originally posted by Quenchster

Best mouse, ever:

Right now I'm using the wired G5 laser mouse, which is like that but has one less thumb button, a light indicator for the mouse sensitivity, and a weight slate to make the mouse heavier. It is from 2006, but the thing is still working as if it were new.

I still have a sealed MX518 I bought together with the one I'm using now. It's been some 5 years + also, and it still works perfectly. I think that sealed one will be given to my greatchildren after my funeral. The current one simply won't give up.

Probably the best PC accessory I've ever bought in my life. Sturdy as a rock.

I can see it now:  Your great grand father wanted you to have this but your uncle wouldn't allow it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Currently I don't have anything fancy, just a Logitech M705, not even a gaming mouse in name.  I need to find some kind of mouse that is actually designed for people with long fingers like mine (I can hit easily hit both of the Shift keys on a typical full-size keyboard with one hand - sometimes both of the Ctrl keys too).

I'm probably permanently relegated to "claw-gripping" mice, but it would sure be nice to have one that I could actually hold on to.  Something like those big trackball mice, only without the trackball.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Contemplating swapping my Mionox Saiph 1800 in favor of the Logitech G500. The G500's 3+2 thumb-buttons compared to the 2 on the MX518 (very nice mouse btw) is a big plus for me:

Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse

Anyone tried/recommend the G500?

* Waves at Pushkina *

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Best mouse, ever:

If there is a nuclear war, the only survivors will be cockroaches and all of the MX518's. As cockroaches finally evolve into sentient beings, their religion and society will be built around MX518 worship. Millions of years later, when cockroaches have their own nuclear war the only survivors will be those MX518's...

Our greatest peripheral... Our legacy.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

This

plus

This