Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: You Got Elder Scrolls in my MMO

Comments

• CharSolCharSol Member UncommonPosts: 47

By talking of zones of level appropriate content and backtracking to level for content that you are not yet high enough level for it creates a very different sounding atmosphere than the one I got from Skyrim, especially considering that I barely touched any quests at all on my current playthrough until the mid thirties.  I enjoy the freedom to go wherever I fancy and explore to the edges of the world with the assurance that I am always going to find something to do that is engaging and fun.  Having to hang around an area I may not necessarily like in order to garner enough experience to move on to another or attempt a quest line that interests me is not my cup of tea by a long shot.

If what they actually intend to offer is a world map completely open to explore in any order or pace you wish with the option of quests if you get stuck, bored or just like that - then they really need to make that more clear on their interviews and promotional material.  To me, how it appears currently may be loosely related to how one person may be able to play Skyrim if they so wished to but like the options of enjoying it differently are restricted or even removed.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by CharSol

By talking of zones of level appropriate content and backtracking to level for content that you are not yet high enough level for it creates a very different sounding atmosphere than the one I got from Skyrim, especially considering that I barely touched any quests at all on my current playthrough until the mid thirties.  I enjoy the freedom to go wherever I fancy and explore to the edges of the world with the assurance that I am always going to find something to do that is engaging and fun.  Having to hang around an area I may not necessarily like in order to garner enough experience to move on to another or attempt a quest line that interests me is not my cup of tea by a long shot.

If what they actually intend to offer is a world map completely open to explore in any order or pace you wish with the option of quests if you get stuck, bored or just like that - then they really need to make that more clear on their interviews and promotional material.  To me, how it appears currently may be loosely related to how one person may be able to play Skyrim if they so wished to but like the options of enjoying it differently are restricted or even removed.

I get what you are saying, however in Skyrim you do start to "out level" some creatures and whatnot sooner or later. When you first enounter a wolf or bear or something you have to work carefully to kill them. After a while you have weapons and armor that help out a great deal. Your skills add more damage or better armor buffs, at some point the Dragons get east to kill, Frost trolls are tough to a point but you can survive and put out far more damage. This is the natural effect of progression. Be it single player or MMO, you are sooner or later going to gain advantages over the creatures.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Skyrim was great about letting you go where you wanted, by carefully leading you from one place to the next through quests.

Leading you and go where you want in the same sentence ... uhhhhh

No quest hubs will be found in ESO. Yes, you have towns, and yes you have quests

So it's a bit more exploratory?, or are you re-defining quest hub in some mysterious way. Not really sure what theyre saying here.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Can I mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel? If I can not do that then it's going to be a dealbreaker. It would be a dream come true if I can mount a dragon and fly over Tamriel.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by CharSol

This would be the case in any MMO sandbox or not. In Skyrim the world levels along with you and only you. IN an MMO the only way to do that would be heavy use of phasing, this would be very unpopular with the MMO crowd.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by newbinator

You had me at Game Director Matt Firor (of Dark Age of Camelot fame) and three faction PVP system.

DAOC is still to me the best PvP MMO ever made. Please please please have an epic RvR system like DAOC.

Exactly where they lost me.

I am not against PvP per say, I am just against PvP being in every frikin MMO because the Devs can't see past design convention.

Plus open world PvP based on lvls/ class/ gear? That always sucks.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Thats it, I'm headed for Seyda Neen!

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I just read this article again and it seems like the game is going to be great. I still am anxious to hear more about the crafting. I love crafting and hope they implement something new with it. The crafting in skyrim was pretty easy and you could just about max it out pretty fast, then you were indestructable and the game just got boring after that. Also the PvP, ahh yes 3 faction pvp again will be sweet.

This article really has kicked the haters in the teeth though, so its good to see the game coming along.

Can't wait for the beta!

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Wow, what a shill piece. And no, questing content isn't open ended, it's still a game of traveling from hub to hub with random events thrown in, and zones that are level capped to prevent players from accessing certain areas before they finish the previous.

Really, I don't understand how those of you writing and reporting on this genre can't tell when you're being sold a load of bullshit, or maybe you just don't care.

This.

GO WHERE YOU WANT TO GO

No quest hubs will be found in ESO. Yes, you have towns, and yes you have quests.  But the famous compass system that's long been used in TES games is back once more, and it will let you know when you're out exploring when you're coming up on a dungeon, a chest, a random event, and more.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Let me get this straight. When you're exploring, there's a compass system that tells you where things of note are located? Er, that completely defeats the purpose of exploration, does it not? You and major game developers just don't get it. Us gamers have brains you know. We have the capability to observe our environment and act accordingly. Crazy concept, I know. I don't need the game to go, "Hey, hey, look over there! There's a chest! There's a chest!" It completely kills the immersion and sense of discovery. Hopefully you can toggle this on and off.

Definition of exploration: The action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it.

TESO definition of expoloration: The action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area while we discover things for you.

Reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&feature=feedu

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

wow!  sounds promising.  its like 1 part eq 1 part daoc!  cant wait to hear more

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by GN-003
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Wow, what a shill piece. And no, questing content isn't open ended, it's still a game of traveling from hub to hub with random events thrown in, and zones that are level capped to prevent players from accessing certain areas before they finish the previous.

Really, I don't understand how those of you writing and reporting on this genre can't tell when you're being sold a load of bullshit, or maybe you just don't care.

This.

GO WHERE YOU WANT TO GO

No quest hubs will be found in ESO. Yes, you have towns, and yes you have quests.  But the famous compass system that's long been used in TES games is back once more, and it will let you know when you're out exploring when you're coming up on a dungeon, a chest, a random event, and more.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Let me get this straight. When you're exploring, there's a compass system that tells you where things of note are located? Er, that completely defeats the purpose of exploration, does it not? You and major game developers just don't get it. Us gamers have brains you know. We have the capability to observe our environment and act accordingly. Crazy concept, I know. I don't need the game to go, "Hey, hey, look over there! There's a chest! There's a chest!" It completely kills the immersion and sense of discovery. Hopefully you can toggle this on and off.

Definition of exploration: The action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it.

TESO definition of expoloration: The action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area while we discover things for you.

Reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&feature=feedu

Don't GW2 and Rift do the same thing with their maps marking the locations of nearby dynamic events?  

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Mephster

Nice article but design choice will be its ultimate failure. No way you can take an Elder Scrolls ip and mesh it in as a theme park mmo. It needs to stay single player with freedom or add a 4 player coop.  We need a Skyrim Online instead of this.

Have to agree.  Most MMO veterans are sick of theme parks no matter if you have quest hubs or random quests laying around, its still a theme park.  Elder Scrolls has a massive fan base because of its open free roaming world.  So how the hell does it make sense to convert such a great IP into a theme park model?  How does this even compute?  I don't know about anyone else but I personally dont give a s..t about lore in Elder Scrolls, I play them to death because I love not being forced down a tube like most games.

I am not going to play Elder Scrolls MMO for its lore, I would play it if it had the same open world game play.

Even before GW2 is out they are talking about doing away with Tank,Healer,DPS type characters and they are bringing in dynamic events.  IMO Elder Scrolls is already on a slippery slope if they are talking about utilising the them park model and making people pick tank, healer, dps all over again.  From experience if you allow a tank to heal or mage to use a sword its pointless. No one does it because you are guaranteed to be weaker than a pure healer or tank. 

I would love to be excited about this MMO because Elder Scrolls is up there as some of the best games I have played but this smacks of regurgitating another cookie cutter with a new skin and hoping the box sales are huge. Like SWtOR and every other IP beasting, it will have 1.5 million subs in the first month and then try and convince everyone they aren't losing 100k subs a month, layoff 1/3 of their workforce at month 3 and then end up FTP at month 6, and then listen to all the die hard fans who swear its different.

FFS leave Elder Scrolls the same and make it into an MMO.  Classless systems with the ability to learn every skill, even if it takes 7 years.  Before I get flamed, EVE Online does it and it works well.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by chryses

Nice article but design choice will be its ultimate failure. No way you can take an Elder Scrolls ip and mesh it in as a theme park mmo. It needs to stay single player with freedom or add a 4 player coop.  We need a Skyrim Online instead of this.

Have to agree.  Most MMO veterans are sick of theme parks no matter if you have quest hubs or random quests laying around, its still a theme park.  Elder Scrolls has a massive fan base because of its open free roaming world.  So how the hell does it make sense to convert such a great IP into a theme park model?  How does this even compute?  I don't know about anyone else but I personally dont give a s..t about lore in Elder Scrolls, I play them to death because I love not being forced down a tube like most games.

I am not going to play Elder Scrolls MMO for its lore, I would play it if it had the same open world game play.

Even before GW2 is out they are talking about doing away with Tank,Healer,DPS type characters and they are bringing in dynamic events.  IMO Elder Scrolls is already on a slippery slope if they are talking about utilising the them park model and making people pick tank, healer, dps all over again.  From experience if you allow a tank to heal or mage to use a sword its pointless. No one does it because you are guaranteed to be weaker than a pure healer or tank. 

I would love to be excited about this MMO because Elder Scrolls is up there as some of the best games I have played but this smacks of regurgitating another cookie cutter with a new skin and hoping the box sales are huge. Like SWtOR and every other IP beasting, it will have 1.5 million subs in the first month and then try and convince everyone they aren't losing 100k subs a month, layoff 1/3 of their workforce at month 3 and then end up FTP at month 6, and then listen to all the die hard fans who swear its different.

FFS leave Elder Scrolls the same and make it into an MMO.  Classless systems with the ability to learn every skill, even if it takes 7 years.  Before I get flamed, EVE Online does it and it works well.

Not sure what I would do with others in Skyrim as the game is easy to solo. There still is a path to follow in Skyrim, as there is a story that unfolds as you complete parts of the quests. You would never actually complete the game if you just wander around with no point. They give you quests, you don't have to complete them but it usually benefits you if you do. You can do that in Grand Theft Auto games also, plus you get cars and hookers but it all just gets boring to me after awhile. I played skyrim for about 100 hours before I uninstalled it because there was just nothing more for me to do after I crafted up to Daedric armor and was an undestructable tank after that. I didn't want to max out every skill because there was no need too.

Im an MMO vet and not sick of themepark games, healer, tank or dps just wish they throw in some new themepark rides. 3 Faction pvp is going to satisfy me, not to mention the realms to explore. 

Maybe your just getting old and not into MMO games anymore. Wurm online allows you to learn every skill and do whatever you want, might check that out. You could always play Mortal Online or Darkfall, they both allow you to do whatever you want. I tried them all and they were all not my thing. Never liked Sandbox type games.

I never could get into Eve or any sci fi games. I don't want to be a spaceship.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

So now all an MMO has to do is put three factions in a game to please fans.......... Oh how deprived we all are. Three factions is nice but come on folks, this is still a pathetic attempt at an MMO the ES IP deserves. Seriously I cant get over some of you guys thinking oh because it has 3 factions its going to be any different than any other POS thempark out there. 3 factions, 2 factions, 4 factions, or 5 factions it doesnt matter. You guys have completly lost sight in what makes a good mmo a good mmo. Praising the game because of 3 factions... you have got to be kidding me.

Give me a game world, give me meaningful content, stop with the gimiks and tweaks like 3 factions, or this compass BS thats still going to lead you through the game just like any other quest based MMO. I have seriously lost faith in MMO devs, and now the MMO gamers themselves. Are you guys seriously thinking a gimik like 3 factions is going to matter 1 bit? Dont get me wrong its nice change of pace, but by no means is something for the game to hange its hat on. Really 3 factions is getting you people excited? Oh god help us all.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Nice article. I like where ESO is going. No hand holding from quest hub 1 to qh 2 to qh 3. Love that.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

When I first heard about this game I was against the idea.  TES is an RPG, and should stay an RPG.  Yes, I thought many times playing through TES games, this would be so cool if there were other player with me.  However, I'm not sold on how anyone could do it.  The more I hear about it, the more acceptable it's becoming to me.

It sounds like they're making it like how Skyrim does quests.  The quests take you from Helgen to riverwood to whiterun.  This kind of "themepark" is ok for me, because I have several characters in Skyrim that get out of Helgen and don't continue that quest line any farther.  I go off to be a blacksmith or thief or do whatever i want, which is why I like Skyrim so much.  The Quests are always there, but I never have to do them if I don't want to.  I hope ESO is this way.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, I don't think ESO is so bad as many Skyrim fans fear but I still din't hear why I should play it instead of Guildwars 2 which shares those features...

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

I regained my faith in this game after watching the E3 reveal and this article too. At first I thought it would be just another WoW clone with nary a hint of ES in it, but videos shown very ESy visuals (and not cartoony at all for my taste) and the mechancis seem to be solid.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by chryses

Not sure what I would do with others in Skyrim as the game is easy to solo. There still is a path to follow in Skyrim, as there is a story that unfolds as you complete parts of the quests. You would never actually complete the game if you just wander around with no point. They give you quests, you don't have to complete them but it usually benefits you if you do. You can do that in Grand Theft Auto games also, plus you get cars and hookers but it all just gets boring to me after awhile. I played skyrim for about 100 hours before I uninstalled it because there was just nothing more for me to do after I crafted up to Daedric armor and was an undestructable tank after that. I didn't want to max out every skill because there was no need too.

Im an MMO vet and not sick of themepark games, healer, tank or dps just wish they throw in some new themepark rides. 3 Faction pvp is going to satisfy me, not to mention the realms to explore. 

Maybe your just getting old and not into MMO games anymore. Wurm online allows you to learn every skill and do whatever you want, might check that out. You could always play Mortal Online or Darkfall, they both allow you to do whatever you want. I tried them all and they were all not my thing. Never liked Sandbox type games.

I never could get into Eve or any sci fi games. I don't want to be a spaceship.

An aspect most people overlook when looking for a challenge in games like Skyrim is you do not have to wear the Daedric armor. You could throw on some Iron or Leather armor without enchants and find some ways to test yourself. Games that have any type of progression are going give you large advantages at some point. You can curb some of those advantages if you choose.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Call me cynical or whatever, but I will not take a professional reviewers word as gospel. Not after what you guys pulled with Star Wars. It's way to obvious that you have a vested interest in presenting the game developers in a good way so they pay your bills (no pun intended).

I would advice strongly to take a more objective stance towards reviews and focus more on technical/gameplay details.

Star Wars TOR really showed how blatantly corrupted the reviewing sites have become. From what I have seen so far about TESOS I dont think you have learned anything.

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

Until i see gameplay....

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Being excited for this game is like saying

"I'm okay with the MMO industry repeating itself into infinity.  I'll take the same product over and over and I'll continue to pay you guys my hard earned money FOR the same product.... over, and over."

You guys did this SW:TOR and Star Wars now you're doing it with the Elder Scrolls IP.

Its not very cool to get on-board with these projects... but humans beings tend to be Sheep, so... rooooooooooooooooooooooooooock on.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

This is what they should have done initially, tell us what it is rather than what it isn't. It definitely sounds good but now we have to see it played.

This is not a game.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Just seems to me as of late, MMORPG.COM is on board with anything that will give them ad revenue or possible ad revenue in the future, instead of giving honest thoughts and impressions on what is a good current or upcoming game.  Just sayin....

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Do we really have to know all this 2-3-4 years in advance?

What year is the target release date anyway?